Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Best USB drive

Looking to upgrade from my older Kingston 512mb to something more current and bigger. 1-4gb range probably.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:50 AM   #2
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

As of right now, I'd say the OCZ Rally. Fastest read/write speed available last time I checked. There's a 1GB and 2GB model.

I have a Cruzer Titanium and it's good, but not the fastest anymore.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I should mention that looks are important too. OCZ rally looks like a kids toy. That logo bothers me.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:32 PM   #4
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhjr77
I should mention that looks are important too. OCZ rally looks like a kids toy. That logo bothers me.

Looks? Meh, if you say so.

I don't know what to tell you then, I don't know what you're looking for in the looks department. Just look at anything from Sandisk, they make a few different looking ones.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 04:40 PM   #5
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

How about this:

SanDisk Sansa e260 4GB MP3 Player - Black
http://stores.tomshardware.com/searc...terid=19302167

Holds 4GB of data and you can drag and drop your files to the device using USB.

Side bonus is you also have a MP3 player.

If 1GB is fine you could also do the same thing with the "Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB MP3 Player - White". This is what I have and I can do the use it for storing files as well as MP3's.

http://stores.tomshardware.com/searc...sterid=9391472

Really does not matter, these devices use USB and look like a regular drive!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
How about this:

SanDisk Sansa e260 4GB MP3 Player - Black
http://stores.tomshardware.com/searc...terid=19302167

Holds 4GB of data and you can drag and drop your files to the device using USB.

Side bonus is you also have a MP3 player.

If 1GB is fine you could also do the same thing with the "Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB MP3 Player - White". This is what I have and I can do the use it for storing files as well as MP3's.

http://stores.tomshardware.com/searc...sterid=9391472

Really does not matter, these devices use USB and look like a regular drive!

I have a black 60gb video iPod. I'm not going through the hassle of iPods storage functions. I like the instant access of usb drives.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:09 PM   #7
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Honestly, i don't really believe there is all that much difference between all the brands.

I own a Memorex, & it's worked superbly, but really, if looks are so important to you, just buy what you like based on how it looks.

It's gonna do the same job as the other brands.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:16 PM   #8
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7-
Honestly, i don't really believe there is all that much difference between all the brands.

I own a Memorex, & it's worked superbly, but really, if looks are so important to you, just buy what you like based on how it looks.

It's gonna do the same job as the other brands.

Aside from speed, yes.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_141
Aside from speed, yes.
Meh, even speeds are marginal differences.

I mean really, unless you are gonna be benchmarking your USB drive against your buddies, who cares if OMG my USB drive takes only 23 seconds to copy a file; yours takes 39 seconds OMG mine is teh betterer

n7

n7
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:21 PM   #10
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

make sure it fits into the USB slot. Some of them dont. for example... my USB Wireless card dont fit in a usb. it takes up two slots. i could shove another usb device in there, but it pushes and distorts the device. I didnt notice this at first and i damaged the usb wireless device. it still works but when it's plugged in it's cokied.

(wonders if **** is censored.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:21 PM   #11
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Meh, even speeds are marginal differences.

I mean really, unless you are gonna be benchmarking your USB drive against your buddies, who cares if OMG my USB drive takes only 23 seconds to copy a file; yours takes 39 seconds OMG mine is teh betterer

When you have 2GB to play with and put some 500MB files on there, you'll notices the difference between 23MB/s and 9MB/s. I get tired of running back and forth between computers when I work on them and having to wait until it finishes copying to my flash drive. My old Titanium was 6MB/s faster than this one I got as a replacement and I noticed it right away.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:24 PM   #12
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

Don't you know how to overclock your USB drive?

Then your problem is solved

n7

n7
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:25 PM   #13
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Don't you know how to overclock your USB drive?

Then your problem is solved

Duh, just push the button that says "SUPER FAST BIIIIIITCH"

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:33 AM   #14
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
As of right now, I'd say the OCZ Rally. Fastest read/write speed available last time I checked. There's a 1GB and 2GB model.

I have a Cruzer Titanium and it's good, but not the fastest anymore.
I've got a 512MB version and it's pretty blazing fast. Had mine crap out after a few months for no aparent reason, but it was replaced quick and I didn't loose anything important. It's quite a sturdy little drive too, being made of aluminum and all.

The Rally2 has a less cartoony logo as well, and if you want something tiny the MiniKart is close to as fast.

The Corsair Voyager has also gotten some pretty high marks, just under $100 for a 4GB at newegg too.

And if you are at all interested in the MP3 player side, SanDisk offers players (like that one) which aren't much more expensive than just a drive. Works exactly like a flash drive, but allows navigation through folders to find your media.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:47 AM   #15
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Do you know why the Rally2 is less than the Rally for the 2GB model? Is it a little slower or something? I just looked on Newegg and before rebate the Rally is more expensive.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:44 AM   #16
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Could be available stock, or that the rally2 was made when components were cheaper or something.

Looks like they're rated for the same speeds even.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 02:11 PM   #17
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

"OCZ's Rally drive also happens to be priced similarly to Corsair's Flash Voyager, and offers much higher read speeds, but at the expense of noticeably lower write speeds. Unfortunately, as you go down in price, you'll find yourself having to make more trade-offs like this."

Based on the USB Drive Roundup on Anandtech, I would go for the Kingston DataTraveler Elite or the Lexar JumpDrive Lightning.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 02:36 PM   #18
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike
"OCZ's Rally drive also happens to be priced similarly to Corsair's Flash Voyager, and offers much higher read speeds, but at the expense of noticeably lower write speeds. Unfortunately, as you go down in price, you'll find yourself having to make more trade-offs like this."

Based on the USB Drive Roundup on Anandtech, I would go for the Kingston DataTraveler Elite or the Lexar JumpDrive Lightning.

I don't know what the hell they did, but I've seen at least three reviews where the rally is the fastest in everything. 10MB/s is pathetic, and way below what OCZ advertises. People who own the thing themselves have said the write speeds are near 20MB/s.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 04:26 PM   #19
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I don't know what the hell they did, but I've seen at least three reviews where the rally is the fastest in everything. 10MB/s is pathetic, and way below what OCZ advertises. People who own the thing themselves have said the write speeds are near 20MB/s.
Guess it isn't all that it is claimed to be.

Results are legit.

If it got higher in other environments, it was still slower in this one.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 09:16 PM   #20
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Guess it isn't all that it is claimed to be.

Results are legit.

If it got higher in other environments, it was still slower in this one.

What's your point? It was still slower in this? It was faster in the other ones, so could I take what you said and say "It was still faster in these two"? Just because Anandtech may be "legit" doesn't discredit the other sources.

I'll take personal reviews and the majority of reviews over one single review, thanks.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:21 PM   #21
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quote:
What's your point? It was still slower in this? It was faster in the other ones, so could I take what you said and say "It was still faster in these two"? Just because Anandtech may be "legit" doesn't discredit the other sources.

I'll take personal reviews and the majority of reviews over one single review, thanks.
It was a controlled experiment.

The results are sound.

The higher speeds that you report of must be for varying file sizes. Either way, it is not the fastest for the file sizes they tested.

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:17 PM   #22
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
It was a controlled experiment.

The results are sound.

The higher speeds that you report of must be for varying file sizes. Either way, it is not the fastest for the file sizes they tested.

Whatever, I'm not even going to argue with you about it. You honestly think one source is all you should go by? There are varying factors in flash drives you know, ever think they got a "bad" one? As I said before, my first Cruzer Titanium was 5-7MB/s faster on the write than my current one. Different revisions yield different performance sometimes.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.