Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Aug 29, 2018, 08:08 PM   #571
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
However, you're making it very difficult to want to join you at any event, due to your approach. Its like a doctor and their bedside manners. As an instructor, I find it surprising that you don't seem to care.
I don't to be honest. I offer help. If people want it, they take it. If they don't, I don't care. I'm not the only way to get better. There are videos, books, articles, seminars, schools, etc.. I'm offering it for free.

Quote:
An instructor would certainly help enforce doing it the right way every time and make it more consistent.
I will say, if this is what you are expecting from an instructor, then the instructor isn't providing what will help you from a skillset perspective. What I teach (as well as my region since I created the program) is explaining and ensuring the understanding of "why" certain things need to happen when, what do they do from a "finding the line" perspective as well as from a car dynamics perspective.

If you have an instructor and all he or she is doing is showing you how to drive the track you are at, you won't be building useful skills.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2018, 08:46 PM   #572
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I will say, if this is what you are expecting from an instructor, then the instructor isn't providing what will help you from a skillset perspective. What I teach (as well as my region since I created the program) is explaining and ensuring the understanding of "why" certain things need to happen when, what do they do from a "finding the line" perspective as well as from a car dynamics perspective.

If you have an instructor and all he or she is doing is showing you how to drive the track you are at, you won't be building useful skills.
No, that's not all I expect. Of course not, that would be absurd. But, I get it...once again, you're only working with the information you have.

Can't make it this year, booked up. Maybe next year if it's planned ahead.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 09:45 PM   #573
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:46 PM   #574
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Had a talk with my friend tonight, who reminded me the new GoPro's we bought this year had GPS built into them. One of my cameras had it turned off, but another had it on. Going back through my videos and adding in the data streams.

Bringing some videos back, but with simple telemetry added. Will do a road course one tomorrow night if I have time. Pretty excited, been wanting to add this stuff back in for a while.

Old Aug 30, 2018, 09:22 PM   #575
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Sep 4, 2018, 09:20 AM   #576
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

A few laps around Mid Ohio following my friend in his BMW 135is. Another buddy of mine was on the track with his silver e36 M3 that's gutted with a roll bar. Not the first one early in the video, but the next one later on. Good times, fun track.

Old Sep 4, 2018, 09:47 PM   #577
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Looks good! Careful of the yellow curbing. It's not your friend. The red/white curbing is ok (in the dry). A NASA NP01 about 2 years ago lost it off T1, spun to the inside and hit the wall. I've seen the curbing coming out of the final turn on the outside do the same thing to many cars and send them into the S/F inside wall.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:28 PM   #578
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Careful of the yellow curbing. It's not your friend. The red/white curbing is ok (in the dry).
Wow, good to know. Both the instructors I had throughout the first day never mentioned it, even though I was hitting the curbing with them in the car. I assumed the yellow curbing was no difference except color, or is it more their placement with this particular track layout?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:28 PM   #579
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Wow, good to know. Both the instructors I had throughout the first day never mentioned it, even though I was hitting the curbing with them in the car. I assumed the yellow curbing was no difference except color, or is it more their placement with this particular track layout?
Unfortunately, not all curbing is created the same. You end up learning which ones on which track you can use (and some of that also depends on when they last painted them). It also depends on how much of the curb you take... If you are only getting a little tire on them, it's not usually a problem. I would just not get into a habit of making your line to use them all the time (i.e. only use the exit of T1 and exit of T13 curbing when/if you overcook the corner).

Unfortunately the video of the NP01 crashing there was taken down or I would post it.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:04 AM   #580
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

NASA National race in the ST3 class (I run in ST4). This is a built up FI S2000. Everything is power to weight but you can see on a track with long straights that power wins over weight (i.e. a light car won't have the same top end as a heavier car given the same power to weight ratio).

BTW, OverClock'N check out what happens to my buddy at 46s in when he uses too much curb with the front wheels while turning the steering wheel. This is why I mentioned not all curbing is good. You'll see later in the race where he straddles the curbing to avoid that situation.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 07:30 PM   #581
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

On track with a C7 ZO6.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:53 PM   #582
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Being stubborn and learning some lessons the hard way.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 31, 2018 at 06:43 AM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:21 AM   #583
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nice recovery though.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:29 AM   #584
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Yea, that outside curbing is always nasty on that turn.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:34 AM   #585
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Yea, that outside curbing is always nasty on that turn.
Dropped the rear left tire off the end, and it was raining/muddy the day before. The in-car cam audio makes a nasty thump as it drops off. I plan to avoid curbing completely from now on either way and only use it for runout if I run a bit wide. Lesson learned. It's like the 4th event of curbing causing a spin or near spin. Time to change something.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 31, 2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 02:54 PM   #586
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Some of the faster laps from last weekend before I started nursing the brakes. Ran out of rear brake pad and started increasing the brake zones. Don't think it helped much, as I sat out the last couple sessions and rode with friends. I always battle all the GoPro's trying to keep them all working. Driver cam, which I also have the external mic running to, didn't work this session.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Nov 3, 2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 08:53 AM   #587
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2018, 02:37 PM   #588
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Not exactly racing but fun non the less!

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:54 AM   #589
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Driver survived with an unspecified spinal injury.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 01:57 PM   #590
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Wonder what the hell happened for it to end like this? We was going backwards...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2018, 02:15 PM   #591
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

The FIA stated they will be doing an investigation so it will be interesting to see what they find out. The only thing I can assume is that she hit someone before the braking zone (tire on tire) which already started launching her prior to getting into view of the camera.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:04 PM   #592
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:26 AM   #593
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Not me racing, but that is the class I race in.. Good racing from the guys out on the west coast!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 06:27 AM   #594
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2019, 09:46 AM   #595
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Old Mar 14, 2019, 08:08 PM   #596
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

1986 transmission fact:
"Very interesting to note, at 3:36 you have a S1 MT accelerating, but at the 3:46 you have the S1 with the 'DSG prototype' transmission, one off the very first cars to sport this technology."

Man, what a crazy fun car this would be.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 06:17 AM   #597
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

the older Quattros were some [email protected] cars for sure

Old Mar 16, 2019, 03:49 AM   #598
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Man, what a crazy fun car this would be.
Excess HP, limited traction and large amounts of turbo lag... That kind of fun would require brown trousers.

Those drivers had balls of steel and LOL at the spectators
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote