Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD Rage3D Exclusive - 11.3 Catalyst Application Profile #2!

AMD have sent us a new Catalyst Application Profile:

• Aliens vs. Predator – Supports CrossFire up to 4 GPUs (previously only offered scaling up to 2 GPUs)
  • Dream Lords – resolves negative CrossFire scaling
  • The Sims: Medieval – resolves negative CrossFire scaling and Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled
  • Dark Spore – Improves CrossFire performance
  • Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood – Updated profile to further improve CrossFire performance
  • Duke Nukem Forever – Improves CrossFire performance

AMD informs us that they are still working on updated profiles for Crysis 2 and Need For Speed:Shift 2. Keep your eyes on Rage3D for the next CAP!

Download from Rage3D here!

For more information on the AMD Catalyst Application Profiles introduced a year ago, read the Rage3D FAQ here. AMD Catalyst Application profiles are for use by all owners, single or multi-GPU, and are all-inclusive - uninstall the old CAP and install the newest one, and you're good to go!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:01 PM   #2
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Seeing DNF showing up in an official driver accessory like this is probably the MOST exciting part of this, for me at least. It means a build of it is in AMD's hands, and that means a build is far enough along to be worthy of driver optimizations. That, right there, says more about DNF's emergence from being the LONGEST vaporware game in PC history to actually have a chance of getting to market.

All I have to say is "Mess with the best, die like the rest!" - Duke Nukem
Old Apr 6, 2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Wow, AMD is getting better more when they are keeping working on their CAP in the progress.

In other words, I noticed 11.3 CAP # 2 contains DNF.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Crash7
Radeon R700

Crash7 is still being judged by the masses

Nice of 'em to have a profile ready for it. Now we just have to wait and see if the game is worth a damn.
Crash7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:39 PM   #5
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash7 View Post
Nice of 'em to have a profile ready for it. Now we just have to wait and see if the game is worth a damn.
The game has urinals you can use. How can it fail to worth a damn?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

How come all the CAP updates are usually only for crossfire setups?

What about improvements for single GPU users, who are the majority?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 05:19 PM   #7
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post

CAPs are not for single GPU users. Crossfire users only. You don't need profile updates for a single GPU.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Arachnid
Radeon R200

Arachnid is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post

don't know about that.. but if they are concentrating on crossfire more so in the caps.. then why hasn't BFBC2 shadow flickering problems been fixed yet for my 4870X2 ?! (not asking you specifically but as a whole if any1 can answer me that..)

i mean its been over a year since the game has been out hasn't it? maybe i sound like a troll.. and heck maybe I'm being one atm, but it really grinds my gears.

i read someone here say in the past that they will never touch another multi-gpu card again. well its pretty safe for me to say that i agree with them and wont either. getting fed up with paying out the nose for performance and not be properly supported.

i don't expect a lot, or any extra performance gains from new drivers, since at this point lets face it.. its not gonna happen. but what i do ask is for very popular main stream games to work properly.

sorry for the rant just had to get it out of my system.

all that aside. its great to see lots new CAP's come out..specially when DNF is mentioned! I just wish the older heavy weights were looked after a lil better..

^^^ also @ moshpit
pretty sure caps work for single slot gpus as well.. with game optimizations and such..

Last edited by Arachnid : Apr 6, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Arachnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:10 PM   #9
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
CAPs are not for single GPU users. Crossfire users only. You don't need profile updates for a single GPU.
Not true. CAPs are also be used for single GPUs too like for disabling forced AA or AF in games that don't like them for example. For example in this very one to disable AA for the new stand alone Sims 3 game and other games when required.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:13 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
CAP's are for all Catalyst users.

Most of the updates benefit crossfire users, currently.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

For those of you with multi GPU setups, all of the problems with games that you guys complain about, do they mostly apply if you have two physical cards only, or do they also apply to single cards with two chipsets?

Like if you're running a single 6990 vs 2x6970s?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:54 PM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
CAP's are for all Catalyst users.

Most of the updates benefit crossfire users, currently.
Can you point me to any previous CAP that contained single GPU optimizations? I must have missed it. But then, I went green-team recently so if one FINALLY came through, missing it would be easy.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:07 PM   #13
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

There have been plenty, for example 10.11 CAP 1, 10.11 CAP 3, 10.11 CAP 4, 10.9 CAP 1, 11.2 CAP 1. Plus there is plenty of stuff that doesn't even get mentioned in the release notes (10.12 CAP2 added forced AA support for Tron Evolution for single GPU cards but it wasn't mentioned)
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Crash7
Radeon R700

Crash7 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The game has urinals you can use. How can it fail to worth a damn?
That's not really on my list of things I've been waiting for in a game.
Crash7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:30 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Can you point me to any previous CAP that contained single GPU optimizations? I must have missed it. But then, I went green-team recently so if one FINALLY came through, missing it would be easy.
Please see spyre posts, plus the CAP release notes. As stated, they are for all Catalyst users. Primarily users who run crossfire benefit from the CAPs as they get the most fixes, but as Spyre says, there are updates for single card problems in many, many CAP's.

CAPs are not exclusively optimizations but also compatibility and feature fixes.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 09:20 PM   #16
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

LOL, yup, Spyre actually answered perfectly, 10.11 came out right about the time I got my GTX 580. LOL, figures.