Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:08 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Grimister
Radeon R100
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 30
Grimister is still being judged by the masses


Default

I have another question, someone point me to the correct thread on the subject of changing the settings for EACH of the library export options. I would like to be able to specify my own conversion settings.
Grimister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:52 PM   #152
Liuke
Fuzzy Bunnies go BOIIING!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hoppyland
Posts: 4,369
Liuke is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax
What retail stores have the HD tv tuner? Why isnt it at bestbuy, circuit city, compusa,etc yet???
Just saw a few at Microcenter for $199.99. Couldn't believe they already had it in retail. That box is weird looking and much bigger when you see it in person.
__________________
A64 X2 3800+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 | 2 x BFG 6800 GT OC | BFG 550W PSU | WD Raptor 74GB | WD 160GB SE | Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW + 16X DVD-ROM | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers | Logitech G15 | G5 | MX1000 | Ideazon Zboard | 3DMark03 = 20963 | 3DMark05 = 9645

P4 2.8C | Asus P4P800 Deluxe | 2x256MB Kingston HyperX PC3500 and 2x512MB Corsair Value DDR400 | ATI X800 XL | Antec TrueBlue 480W | WD 40GB | Saitek Eclipse KB | Razer Diamondback Plasma LE

Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Abit NF7-S | 2 x 256MB Corsair Value PC3200 and 1 x 512MB Simpletech Nitro PC3500 | AIW 9600 Pro | Enermax Noisetaker 470W PSU | WD 100GB SE | WD 80GB | WD 40GB | Lite-On 40x12x48 CD-RW | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 1 | Logitech Cordless MX Duo + MX518
Liuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:56 PM   #153
CBrewer
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 494
CBrewer is still being judged by the masses


Default

I was expecting a much smaller box (it was huge IMO compared to the pics).
CBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:39 AM   #154
grog
No longer on Rage3d
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,185
grog is still being judged by the masses


Default

I did some more testing tonight and I will share the results here.

I captured about 45 minutes of video in 1080i and also a short clip in 720p format.

Next I exported the DTV file to HD-MPEG2.

Next I exported the HD-MPEG2 files to DVD High-Quality.

I tried the "create media layout" function in the ATI MEDIA LIBRARY to see if I could create a DVD directly from the newly created DVD High-Quality images.

Since the "create media layout" uses Sonic MyDVD as the basis for the conversion and burning I expected this option to work.

I prepared the DVD content with the two DVD High-Quality images. Then I selected the burn button. The process started and drive activity seemed to show something was taking place, but sad to say after an hour and a half I decided this process was not going to complete.

Next I opened MyDVD version 3.1.0.0 and placed the two DVD High-Quality images into the media dialog box. The 1080i image was fine, the 720p image did cause a warning message that transcoding would be required.

Next I selected burn to DVD and in less than 30min I had a working DVD which I tested on my home player. The created DVD is the best quality DVD I have made. Played very well on my Studio monitor here using S-VIDEO!

This could be an install isssue since I did not do a clean install. Or it could be a problem with the 720p warning message not being processed by the ATI software. Or this could be a problem with the mix of my older MyDVD software and the newer embedded version ATI is using "SONIC MyDVD for ATI 4.5.2".

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2550132

The bottom line is I can create great DVD images from the MPEG export function with MyDVD, just not the one in the ATI MEDIA LIBRARY.

NOTE: This may just be a conflict with software I have installed.
Older version of MyDVD, Nero or who knows......

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwellen
I have also found that you have to export the video to HD-PEG2 in
order to transcode the video to DVD. The problem that I have
is the process works up to the acual writing of the DVD and at that
point the programs tells me that the DVD has errored. Using the
same DVD+RW on any other program works fine.

Is there anyway to find and fix this error or where does ATI
store the DVD structure so that another program can be used
to write the DVD?

Thanks
Dana Wellen
__________________
No longer here
grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 04:53 AM   #155
magius
Radeon R200
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 55
magius is still being judged by the masses


Default

I just received mine today. Took the lazy approach and selected "Express Setup". Word of advice, don't fall for that. Its installed everything, including video drivers, control panel, direct X, etc. Worse of all, it did a very bad job. Control panel was broken, TV App froze everytime. *sigh*

After some fiddling, everything is ok. The image quality with even the included antenna is amazing! Weird thing, I'm picking my local stations, including one 28 miles from my house. Problem is, Im not picking the ones closer to me. Would that be related to terrain and would a better indoor (amplified) antenna fix it? For now, I don't want to get into the hassle of an outdoor antenna.

Anyway, the software works great, but ATI still need to flesh it out. They need integration with either their old guide or some other channel guide. I still have not found a way of getting information on the currenlty playing program or whats coming up next. Also, both players (Analog and Digital) need to be integrated. I can see how jumping from one app to the next will get old fast.

Lol, the box also suprosed me, but it is just for show. I thought the size was ecause of the antenna, but in reality it is mostly empty. I bet it will change in the future.
magius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 07:22 AM   #156
doctj
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 400
doctj is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
I did some more testing tonight and I will share the results here.

I captured about 45 minutes of video in 1080i and also a short clip in 720p format.

Next I exported the DTV file to HD-MPEG2.

Next I exported the HD-MPEG2 files to DVD High-Quality.

I tried the "create media layout" function in the ATI MEDIA LIBRARY to see if I could create a DVD directly from the newly created DVD High-Quality images.

Since the "create media layout" uses Sonic MyDVD as the basis for the conversion and burning I expected this option to work.

I prepared the DVD content with the two DVD High-Quality images. Then I selected the burn button. The process started and drive activity seemed to show something was taking place, but sad to say after an hour and a half I decided this process was not going to complete.

Next I opened MyDVD version 3.1.0.0 and placed the two DVD High-Quality images into the media dialog box. The 1080i image was fine, the 720p image did cause a warning message that transcoding would be required.

Next I selected burn to DVD and in less than 30min I had a working DVD which I tested on my home player. The created DVD is the best quality DVD I have made. Played very well on my Studio monitor here using S-VIDEO!

This could be an install isssue since I did not do a clean install. Or it could be a problem with the 720p warning message not being processed by the ATI software. Or this could be a problem with the mix of my older MyDVD software and the newer embedded version ATI is using "SONIC MyDVD for ATI 4.5.2".

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2550132

The bottom line is I can create great DVD images from the MPEG export function with MyDVD, just not the one in the ATI MEDIA LIBRARY.

NOTE: This may just be a conflict with software I have installed.
Older version of MyDVD, Nero or who knows......

Greg
Has anyone tried the files with tmpgenc dvd author?
__________________
Athlon 64 3200+. MSI K8T Neo-FISR
1024 Mb Mushkin PC 3200 DDR SDRAM. Radeon 9600 XT;Cat 4.9. Fusion QAM-T HDTV . Leadtek winfast expert
Drives: Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200.7. + WD Caviar SE 120 Gb. Pioneer DVR-A06 ± 4x R/RW. Pioneer 115 DVD-Drive. Zip 100.Windows XP SP1. Via Hyperion drivers 4.49.

HTPC: Athlon XP 1500, MSI KT133A, 512 SDRAM, Samsung SD-816 DVD, Win2K SP4, All in Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR- MMC 9.01, Remote Wonder, Chaintech 710 Infocus X1, Onkyo 770.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:50 PM   #157
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Somalia NJ
Posts: 29,366
Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liuke
Just saw a few at Microcenter for $199.99. Couldn't believe they already had it in retail. That box is weird looking and much bigger when you see it in person.
Nearest store is an hour away according to mapquest
__________________
The Core Value: Non-Aggression :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 01:36 PM   #158
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Canada Accokeek, MD
Posts: 894
PGHammer is still being judged by the masses


ATI Technologies Good for you! I have a Q For Others, Though

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsvcd
Ok I must say that I really think the ATI HDTV wonder is an excellent product. I am not saying that it is anywhere near perfect but it does work as advertised.

First off don’t bother buying the HDTV card unless you have an ATI 9500 or above AGP video card. If your card does not FULLY support Directx9 then the HD DTV application will not work properly. I confirmed this by installing the HDTV wonder on my rig with an ATI 8500DV card and the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX external usb device. Everything worked perfectly except the DTV application. When I started the DTV app I would see one frame of the HD video and then it would go to green scrambled lines. Then I went out and dropped some mad cash on an ATI 9800Pro and tried the HDTV wonder again. I used the ATI uninstall utility in add and remove programs and then I reinstalled by only using the software on the HDTV wonder’s cd. Everything worked perfectly. If you don’t want to drop a huge amount of cash then try the ATI 9600Se card. That is a pretty cheap card and it will work.

As far as the Audio dropouts go. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE AUDIGY SOUND CARDS! I think that this is a problem with the actual HD feeds that we are receiving! Several channels had numerous audio dropouts(FOX, ABC, and PBS). However, I switched over to my Time Warner HD cable box and the exact same channels had dropouts in the exact same place. Fox is doing some testing on their new 720p channel(I can confirm that we are receiving FOX at 720p in our area now) so they have screwed up the audio. This occurs on the over the air signal and since Time Warner gets it from the same place it occurs with cable also. Don’t blame the ATI HDTV card for not being compatible with the Audigy cards. You need to complain to your local station that their broadcast is crap.

Overall I am absolutely thrilled with my HDTV wonder and my new 9800Pro. I was able to record CSI in 1080i with out any problems. Oh yea, I actually have my HTPC hooked up to my 50” Sony GWIII LCD at 720p so I was able to compare the picture quality of HD cable to the over the air HD picture quality. Believe it or not the HDTV wonder picture was much better than the cable even though the HDTV wonder was being down converted to 720p by my computer. Granted I have my computer tweaked pretty well so I think it looks great but there is definitely a noticeable picture quality improvement with the HDTV wonder.

The only thing I haven’t got working is the Dolby Digital pass through. It looks like that option was left out of this software but I am not sure of that. There weren’t any dolby digital broadcasts last night so I couldn’t test it. However, the Olympics are tonight so that should be a good test.
Good that things are working great for you.

Here's *my* current situation:

I have my current main rig (specs below) that I'm considering adding an HDTV Wonder to. Windows XP SP2 is installed, as is MMC 9.1. Currently t,e AIW 9700 Pro is connected to cable (no box, as I watch no premium channels) and handles that tuning drectly. The HDTV Wonder will use the included indoor antenna, which will be facing the window behind my PC (in the basement). That is also the LOP for most TV signals OTA so that shouldn't be an issue (I have an indoor signal amplifier available; it used to be used for a long cable run in the old house).

First off, can the two cards (and their versions of MMC) coexist?

I will be using the AIW for non-HD (and all cable) content, and the HDTV Wonder for HD content. Is this doable?

Also, I want some feedback on passthrough of audio (specifically, Dolby Digital). The AIW lets you feed the audio-out to a sound card (in my case, my Audigy handles this). Does audio from the HDTV Wonder use the PCI bus or an AIW-type audio output? (If it uses the PCI bus, like ATI DVD does, then the Audigy will handle it just fine; otherwise, I'll have to do the cable swap when changing tuners.)

While the AIWs are listed as being compatible with the HDTV Wonder, I want moer evidence on this.
__________________
*Mighty Mouse V 2.0*
ASUS P5N-EN/HDMI
Intel Celeron DC E1200
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 02:49 PM   #159
grog
No longer on Rage3d
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,185
grog is still being judged by the masses


Default

I can answer a few of your questions.

MMC:

MMC is the same for both the AIW and ATI HDTV. Currently 9.01 "its not 9.1" does not support the DTV so you will have to use the MMC on the DTV release CD. It is a downgrade for a while but I would expect the next MMC to include support for the HDTV card as well. Keep in mind the last release of MMC was prior to the release of the HDTV card. The DTV is just an additional component of the MMC suite as TV/DVD and MEdia player are.

AIW for cable and DTV for OTA:

That is the whole idea. I have a AIW 9700 PRO, in my case I do not have cable, I use DISH via S-VIDEO, but the combo works since local stations via antenna still function from the AIW 9700 PRO. You can change the prefered capture device and use the tuner in the ATI HDTV if you want to. There are two coax inputs on the ATI HDTV WONDER card, one for DTV and one for standard RF. You also have audio, composite input and S-VIDEO input dongle that looks just like the one with the AIW series of cards.

AUDIO FEED FROM ATI HDTV WONDER:

There are no output cables from the ATI HDTV WONDER. Audio is all digital and handled in software.

I have no problems with my Audigy here at all.

Here are my complete specs:

Nokia 445PRO 21' Monitor
* Motherboard: ASUS K8V Delux Athlon64 Motherboard - BIOS 1004 FINAL
* CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
* Memory: 1GB (512 MB x 2 PC 3200 400MHz DDR - 2.5-4-4-4 )
* Video: AGP - ATI ALL-IN-WONDER® 9700 PRO / 128MB - AGP aperture size 128MB
* ATI HDTV WONDER
* Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy
* Ethernet: Onboard 3COM 3C940 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit
* Hard Disk-1&2: 120 GB Maxtor SATA 8 mb 7200 RPM x 2 (total 240GB) RAID-0
* Hard Disk-3: 160 GB Maxtor ATA-133 8 mb 7200 RPM
* Floppy drive, 3.5" 1.44MB
* DVD-R/RW: Pioneer DVR-106 DVD+/-RW/R+/-Writer
* CD: 54x Black CD-ROM
* CASE: Thermaltake V1000A Black Fulltower w/ANTEC TRUE CONTROL 550W PSU
* APC XS-1000VA UPS
* OS: WinXP PRO / SP1, VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.51, AMD Cool 'n' Quiet enabled [240GB]
* OS: Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition [100GB]
* OS: Mandrake Linux-AMD64 10.0 RC-1 [60GB]


Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer
Good that things are working great for you.

Here's *my* current situation:

I have my current main rig (specs below) that I'm considering adding an HDTV Wonder to. Windows XP SP2 is installed, as is MMC 9.1. Currently t,e AIW 9700 Pro is connected to cable (no box, as I watch no premium channels) and handles that tuning drectly. The HDTV Wonder will use the included indoor antenna, which will be facing the window behind my PC (in the basement). That is also the LOP for most TV signals OTA so that shouldn't be an issue (I have an indoor signal amplifier available; it used to be used for a long cable run in the old house).

First off, can the two cards (and their versions of MMC) coexist?

I will be using the AIW for non-HD (and all cable) content, and the HDTV Wonder for HD content. Is this doable?

Also, I want some feedback on passthrough of audio (specifically, Dolby Digital). The AIW lets you feed the audio-out to a sound card (in my case, my Audigy handles this). Does audio from the HDTV Wonder use the PCI bus or an AIW-type audio output? (If it uses the PCI bus, like ATI DVD does, then the Audigy will handle it just fine; otherwise, I'll have to do the cable swap when changing tuners.)

While the AIWs are listed as being compatible with the HDTV Wonder, I want moer evidence on this.
__________________
No longer here

Last edited by grog : Aug 14, 2004 at 02:53 PM.
grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 03:17 PM   #160
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Canada Accokeek, MD
Posts: 894
PGHammer is still being judged by the masses


ATI Technologies AIW and HDTV Wonder in Same PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
I can answer a few of your questions.

MMC:

MMC is the same for both the AIW and ATI HDTV. Currently 9.01 "its not 9.1" does not support the DTV so you will have to use the MMC on the DTV release CD. It is a downgrade for a while but I would expect the next MMC to include support for the HDTV card as well. Keep in mind the last release of MMC was prior to the release of the HDTV card. The DTV is just an additional component of the MMC suite as TV/DVD and MEdia player are.

AIW for cable and DTV for OTA:

That is the whole idea. I have a AIW 9700 PRO, in my case I do not have cable, I use DISH via S-VIDEO, but the combo works since local stations via antenna still function from the AIW 9700 PRO. You can change the prefered capture device and use the tuner in the ATI HDTV if you want to. There are two coax inputs on the ATI HDTV WONDER card, one for DTV and one for standard RF. You also have audio, composite input and S-VIDEO input dongle that looks just like the one with the AIW series of cards.

AUDIO FEED FROM ATI HDTV WONDER:

There are no output cables from the ATI HDTV WONDER. Audio is all digital and handled in software.

I have no problems with my Audigy here at all.


Greg
The reference to the MMC upgrade from ATI for the AIWs refer to it as 9.1 (not 9.01) as does the documentation (which is what I was quoting). As long as it fits in as another app into MMC, I would be happy.

If PIP were doable, it would make for great A/B comparisons between standard and HD of the same programming (does that work?).

HD audio-out: That means it works the same way that ATI DVD does. That means there should be no issues with my Audigy 2 (which I have set to auto-decode all Dolby Digital content that passes through it). *Whew*.

While niether BestBuy or Circuit City had the HDTV Wonder in stock, CompUSA *does*. Nearest store is easy to get to, and I have to make a trip north anyway on Tuesday (business) and I will have time to kill after.

Hooray for me.
__________________
*Mighty Mouse V 2.0*
ASUS P5N-EN/HDMI
Intel Celeron DC E1200
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1

Last edited by PGHammer : Aug 14, 2004 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Availability Change: HDTV Wonder
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 05:36 PM   #161
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,195
tristancarton is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer
HD audio-out: That means it works the same way that ATI DVD does. That means there should be no issues with my Audigy 2 (which I have set to auto-decode all Dolby Digital content that passes through it). *Whew*.
How do you set autodecode for this. I have an audigy 2 zs run with three analog cables to my logitech z680s. I want to get the 5.1 sound I just don't know how. The 6 speaker option is blacked out and the pass through using cyberlink audio rendered (ATI-DTV) causes all sorts of problems. I think I need to enable this auto-decode you are talkign about. Can I do it with just the audigy drivers installed and or do I have to download the whole creative control panel and volume mixer?

This will help me immensely if I can get this figured out. (downloading creative control panel right now to see if there is an option for it)
__________________
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 06:04 PM   #162
DaVinci42
Radeon R300
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 102
DaVinci42 is still being judged by the masses


Default

Has anybody had any luck transcoding the HD-video to the codec Microsoft uses for HD-DVD? I may want to keep certain shows in full HD resolution. I won't have my card until Tuesday so I can't try myself.
DaVinci42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 06:50 PM   #163
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Canada Accokeek, MD
Posts: 894
PGHammer is still being judged by the masses


Default Setting auto-decode with Creative sound cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancarton
How do you set autodecode for this. I have an audigy 2 zs run with three analog cables to my logitech z680s. I want to get the 5.1 sound I just don't know how. The 6 speaker option is blacked out and the pass through using cyberlink audio rendered (ATI-DTV) causes all sorts of problems. I think I need to enable this auto-decode you are talkign about. Can I do it with just the audigy drivers installed and or do I have to download the whole creative control panel and volume mixer?

This will help me immensely if I can get this figured out. (downloading creative control panel right now to see if there is an option for it)
In the Creative Surround Mixer, there are settings to decode Dolby Digital and/or DTS automatically, and to set outputs to Digital Output Only (used when connecting to digital speakers or using external SP/DIF to a receiver).
__________________
*Mighty Mouse V 2.0*
ASUS P5N-EN/HDMI
Intel Celeron DC E1200
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:04 PM   #164
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,195
tristancarton is still being judged by the masses


Default It's time for the PCI/IRQ Merry Go Round Brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer
In the Creative Surround Mixer, there are settings to decode Dolby Digital and/or DTS automatically, and to set outputs to Digital Output Only (used when connecting to digital speakers or using external SP/DIF to a receiver).
LONG POST but worth reading through if you are having problems with hdtv wonder.

PG, thanks for the quick reply. I installed all of the creative junk and ended up finding the dolby digital/dts setting in the audio hq-device control-decoder (this actually isn't in the creative surround mixer) Enabled it so that my audigy 2 zs was doing the decoding.

Started up ati dvd with "passthrough using cyberlink audio rendered (ATI-DTV)" highlighted. Ran thx speaker tests from t2 special edition dvd. Have 5.1 discrete channels. Sweet. (was missing the surround left and right before)

Opened up dtv portion of mmc and switched from 2 channel to "passthrough using cyberlink audio rendered (ATI-DTV)." Sound would start in 5.1(I could tell because announcer was all through center channel) and then totally cut out after a few seconds.(No sound at all) Close dtv try again. Again the sound would cut out. Hmmm. My thoughts, irq problem.

Need less to say I let my audigy 2zs, hdtv wonder, and radeon 9800 pro duke it out on the irq merry go round. At the end of the fight I got all three items to be on completely non shared irqs(not shared with anything let alone themselves)

The 5.1 sound issue that was cutting out when trying to pass through to my audigy 5.1 halted so have the little blips I had heard when opening new browser windows and surfing the net. (I think my wireless network card was sharing an irq with either my videocard or hdtv wonder for a while)

Everone having problems or small blips go into your control panel-system- hardware-device manger and go to the tab that says view resources by type. Expand interrupt request and check what items are sharing irqs and especially take note if you see the videocard, hdtv wonder, or sound card sharing any. If they aren't you are good to go and your problems are caused by something other than irqs. If they are, open up your dust filled motherboard manuals and check what items share irqs with others. Then start the pci/irq merry go round (These can't be switched in windows, it is determined by what pci slot each one of those devices is in) and keep booting into windows and checking to see if you have seperated them.

Best wishes. Hope this helps. Now I just need to determine why my regular cable input won't come up(it says unable to initialize) and pc check says I don't have directx 9 installed(i have 9.0c) and that I don't have wdm drivers isntalled when I most certainly do. PM if you have any questions.

BTW someone posted earlier that he fixed a few things by contacting ati over the phone and them helping him do the irq merry go round.(Thanks for getting my thought process in that direction)
__________________
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite

Last edited by tristancarton : Aug 14, 2004 at 10:16 PM.
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 08:12 AM   #165
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Canada Accokeek, MD
Posts: 894
PGHammer is still being judged by the masses


Exclamation That's why I love the new ACPI 2.0 Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancarton
LONG POST but worth reading through if you are having problems with hdtv wonder.

PG, thanks for the quick reply. I installed all of the creative junk and ended up finding the dolby digital/dts setting in the audio hq-device control-decoder (this actually isn't in the creative surround mixer) Enabled it so that my audigy 2 zs was doing the decoding.

Started up ati dvd with "passthrough using cyberlink audio rendered (ATI-DTV)" highlighted. Ran thx speaker tests from t2 special edition dvd. Have 5.1 discrete channels. Sweet. (was missing the surround left and right before)

Opened up dtv portion of mmc and switched from 2 channel to "passthrough using cyberlink audio rendered (ATI-DTV)." Sound would start in 5.1(I could tell because announcer was all through center channel) and then totally cut out after a few seconds.(No sound at all) Close dtv try again. Again the sound would cut out. Hmmm. My thoughts, irq problem.

Need less to say I let my audigy 2zs, hdtv wonder, and radeon 9800 pro duke it out on the irq merry go round. At the end of the fight I got all three items to be on completely non shared irqs(not shared with anything let alone themselves)

The 5.1 sound issue that was cutting out when trying to pass through to my audigy 5.1 halted so have the little blips I had heard when opening new browser windows and surfing the net. (I think my wireless network card was sharing an irq with either my videocard or hdtv wonder for a while)

Everone having problems or small blips go into your control panel-system- hardware-device manger and go to the tab that says view resources by type. Expand interrupt request and check what items are sharing irqs and especially take note if you see the videocard, hdtv wonder, or sound card sharing any. If they aren't you are good to go and your problems are caused by something other than irqs. If they are, open up your dust filled motherboard manuals and check what items share irqs with others. Then start the pci/irq merry go round (These can't be switched in windows, it is determined by what pci slot each one of those devices is in) and keep booting into windows and checking to see if you have seperated them.

Best wishes. Hope this helps. Now I just need to determine why my regular cable input won't come up(it says unable to initialize) and pc check says I don't have directx 9 installed(i have 9.0c) and that I don't have wdm drivers isntalled when I most certainly do. PM if you have any questions.

BTW someone posted earlier that he fixed a few things by contacting ati over the phone and them helping him do the irq merry go round.(Thanks for getting my thought process in that direction)
That's why I love the new ACPI 2.0 tables...extra IRQs for devices that can use them. (Every ATI GPU/VPU, every Creative 5.1 sound card, and every ATI tuner back to the original TV Wonder, is ACPI 2.0 compatible/compliant and can use these higher-order IRQs; basically any IRQ higher than 16.)

Also, if you have COM and LPT ports that you are *not* using (but you have them enabled in the BIOS), *go back and kill those unused ports pronto*. If you aren't using COM or LPT ports at all (broadband connection and a USB printer) that's three extra IRQs for recalcitrant devices (normally IRQs 3, 4, and 7).
__________________
*Mighty Mouse V 2.0*
ASUS P5N-EN/HDMI
Intel Celeron DC E1200
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:16 AM   #166
xsvcd
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 364
xsvcd is still being judged by the masses


Talking Ok I have finally given the HDTV wonder a good run through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinci42
Has anybody had any luck transcoding the HD-video to the codec Microsoft uses for HD-DVD?
Ok I have finally given the HDTV wonder a good run through. So here is what I have found.

First off my setup is an Athlon 3200+, a Radeon 9800Pro, and an Audigy 2 NX usb sound device and I run all of this through a Yamaha receiver to my Sony 50” GWIII LCD TV. I run the audio through the optical out of my Audigy so I set everything to pass through. Here are the things that I can confirm will work with the HDTV wonder.

1. It will install if you completely uninstall all ATI software and then install only the software from the HDTV CD. You can go back and install the latest cat drivers(4.7 I think?) but you can’t install MMC 9.1 or any of the other software.
2. I am able to pick up about 15 channels(3 CBS, 2 ABC, 2 NBC, 5 PBS Stations, FOX, 2 WB, and some Spanish stations) through the DTV App with varying degrees of signal strength. The Audio does cut out on some stations. Most of the time it is the actual broadcast(cable has the same problem). However, when I was recording it lost audio at full screen but when I went to the medium window size it cleared up. Then I clicked back to full screen and it was still fine. This does sound like it is a software issue.
3. The Dolby Digital pass through works perfectly. When the Olympics started on the HD channel on Friday the first 3 minutes were broadcast in Dolby Digital. My amp switched over to Dolby digital right on Cue. However, there was a horrendous echo so NBC cut it off a few minutes later.
4. The recording function is really great. It is always recording in the DTV app when you are watching it. Just set it to preserve material between sessions in the initialization part of the DTV program and it will always keep what ever you watched. I recorded all of the different formats(1080i, 720p, 480i, 480p). They are all huge improvements over the analog 480i that I used to record with my 8500DV. There is a lot of compression in some of the 480 broadcasts though so try to record 720p or 1080 when you can. I can also confirm that the card will record the Dolby Digital(PGA event yesterday was in DD). The export function actually works pretty well. The DVD and MPG4 compression formats have way to much compression but the High Quality setting is pretty close to the original. There is one problem though. The High Quality MPG2 files can not be read by anything program other than the ATI player and Windows Media Encoder 9.
5. The High quality 1080i files can be effectively compressed down to bit rates between 1000 Kb/sec and 4000Kb/sec at 540p or 720p. Every program I tried to compress the High Quality files with failed except for one. The Windows Media Encoder 9(Free from Microsoft) will read the files and compress them down perfectly. There is a trick though. You must set the pixel format on the last tab of the properties page to YV12. The program will crash if you don’t do this. Other than that you can use just about any setting that you want. I don’t recommend anything higher than 720p though. I tried putting it in 1920x1088(native resolution) and my 3200+ Athlon looked like a slide show. However, 720p and even 540p give unbelievable results at extremely low bit rates. Just give it a try. You will be impressed. If anyone has a server and they would like to host some samples I can upload them to you.

Honestly I think this card has hit a home run. I watched and recorded almost all of the Olympics this weekend. I used up almost 40 gigs on one hard drive. There were a few problem areas though. The analog cable tuner is almost useless. It doesn’t pick up half of the stations and it crashes a lot. A Software update should fix this issue though. Does anyone know how to remove time shifted programs from your hard drive. I can’t find an option in the library that will delete time shifted material. And where is the time shifted material stored. I searched my hard drive for hidden files that would be large enough to store all of that data and none came up. ATI has done a good job hiding this stuff.

If anyone else has tried the HDTV wonder let us know what your impressions are.

Last edited by xsvcd : Aug 16, 2004 at 08:24 AM.
xsvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:14 AM   #167
DaVinci42
Radeon R300
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 102
DaVinci42 is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsvcd
If anyone has a server and they would like to host some samples I can upload them to you.

Honestly I think this card has hit a home run. I watched and recorded almost all of the Olympics this weekend.
If you have the opening to the Olympics you should share it with bittorrent & then post the link here. Just a suggestion.

BTW, what program do you guys use to edit the MPEG2 video from this card? If I only want parts, does the entire thing have to be reencoded or can I just pick & choose & create new files with some magical program?
DaVinci42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:35 AM   #168
xsvcd
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 364
xsvcd is still being judged by the masses


Default

You can not edit the HD MPG2 file with any program. None of them recognize it. However, WME 9 will convert it and then you can use a free program called asftools to edit the converted copy.
xsvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:51 AM   #169
DaVinci42
Radeon R300
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 102
DaVinci42 is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsvcd
You can not edit the HD MPG2 file with any program. None of them recognize it. However, WME 9 will convert it and then you can use a free program called asftools to edit the converted copy.

Thanks. So asftools is the only program you know of that edits WMV HD?
DaVinci42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:54 AM   #170
xsvcd
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 364
xsvcd is still being judged by the masses


Default

asftools and the Windows movie maker software are the only two tools I know of that can edit the wmv files. Does anyone know of any others?
xsvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 01:25 PM   #171
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 28
Peanut-Butter is still being judged by the masses


Default

Am i the only one who gets artifacts and choppy playback after exporting to HD-MPEG2

I have a perfect picture when playing recorded video in ATI .vcr format, but after exporting to HD-MPEG2 the mpg file is pure crap. It's not my processor (AMD 3200+), because my cpu usage never goes above 23% during playback.
Peanut-Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 02:55 PM   #172
Agustus
Rage3D Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,304
Agustus is still being judged by the masses


Default

Hi all!

I asked this before but I don’t think I got a response,…

Does anyone know if the HDTV Wonder works with “WinXP Pro MCE 2004”?

And when I say “works with” I mean with the native MCE front end not with ATI’s MMC software,…

Any info would be much appreciated,….

Thanks in advance,….
Agustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 03:02 PM   #173
MMC Oracle
Radeon R200
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto, Ont
Posts: 79
MMC Oracle is still being judged by the masses


Default

No, there is no support in MCE 2004 for an ATSC tuner
MMC Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 03:37 PM   #174
xsvcd
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 364
xsvcd is still being judged by the masses


Default

Are you sure that you are using the High Def or High Quality(I forget what it is labeled) Mpg2 format or are you using the DVD mpg2? The highest quality mpg2 preset gives me an almost perfect copy of the file. However, I have noticed a lot of compression artifacts in the original 480i signals. The high def signals are the only ones that really look good.
xsvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 03:59 PM   #175
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 28
Peanut-Butter is still being judged by the masses


Default

xsvcd, yes i'm using the HD settings. it's labeled "HD MPEG2". I'm going to format my drive tonight and do a clean install of winXP and see if that helps.
Peanut-Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 04:03 PM   #176
mahi
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 544
mahi is still being judged by the masses


Default

can i hook up my cable box to it and get hdtv channels?

ota just doesnt compell me....doesnt do it for me...not sexy enough...
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 04:06 PM   #177
Peanut-Butter
Radeon R100
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 28
Peanut-Butter is still being judged by the masses


Default

no mahi, it can only get HD from OTA
Peanut-Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 04:27 PM   #178
Grimister
Radeon R100
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 30
Grimister is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsvcd
--snip--. Does anyone know how to remove time shifted programs from your hard drive. I can’t find an option in the library that will delete time shifted material. And where is the time shifted material stored. I searched my hard drive for hidden files that would be large enough to store all of that data and none came up. ATI has done a good job hiding this stuff.

If anyone else has tried the HDTV wonder let us know what your impressions are.

its stored here, some of the dirs and files are set hidden


C:\Documents and Settings\{USER CURRENTLY LOGGED IN}\Application Data\ATI MMC\



When I want to clear it I just go there and delete all the files to start a new
Grimister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 05:16 PM   #179
Grimister
Radeon R100
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 30
Grimister is still being judged by the masses


Default

Don't know if anyone is wondering or not but the new cat 4.8 with the new mmc 9.02 has an updated HDTV app. It now reports itself as version 9.02 when I start it.
Grimister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 05:39 PM   #180
mahi
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 544
mahi is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut-Butter
no mahi, it can only get HD from OTA
booooo....

cant wait for som hack or something....this is lame..

the only thing i get is like the news or er reruns in hd...
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to HDTV, is Samsung 32" LCD HDTV (LN-S3251D) any good? jlspec Home Theaters and Photography 5 Dec 26, 2006 05:25 PM
Replacing purple breakout box with HDTV adaptor for HDTV Wonder Redding AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support 1 Sep 13, 2005 08:38 PM
ATI HDTV Wonder Recordings and Eazyshare for HDTV Home Network Distribution FourDoor AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support 2 Nov 29, 2004 03:36 PM
HDTV and HDTV cables selection help please I KNOW GUN-FU Console Gaming 3 Aug 11, 2004 02:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink