Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 2, 2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
_mulder
Radeon R200

_mulder is still being judged by the masses

Default Total War: Troy (free on Epic only today)

Looks like this will be exclusive to the EPIC store for a short time in August (available on Steam after August from what I can read) but free on launch day on Epic
https://sega.prezly.com/free-on-epic...-war-saga-troy
_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:07 AM   #2
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

Having just played Total War Warhammer I'd been rather put off another Total War game. But free....

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:29 AM   #3
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Holy ****, a brand new game free for the first 24 hours? How? Why? This has got to hit the profits.

I probably won't buy anymore Total War games because I really hate how they handle "challenge". They all end up the same, giving enemy empires massive bonuses (even on normal settings) and magically spawning entire legions out of forests even though they couldn't possibly have the resources to build large forces after you took their territories.

Yeah, I have a problem with heavily cheating games. I realize most do it, as it's the lazy way of keeping a game "challenging", but I still don't like it and the Total War games have been among the biggest offenders/abusers of that methodology.

"America is not divided by race. color, gender, or sexual orientation.
America is divided into wise people and fools.
And fools divide themselves by race, color, gender, or sexual orientation."
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:43 AM   #4
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Servers will crash, just as with GTA5.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:07 PM   #5
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Eh, wouldn't be interested in this one. Total Warhammer 2 is about what I need, but free is free.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2020, 01:15 PM   #6
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have to hand it to Epic. They have their shortcomings but they've given me a substantial library of games I'll probably never play.

Old Jun 2, 2020, 02:09 PM   #7
_mulder
Radeon R200

_mulder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Flett View Post
I have to hand it to Epic. They have their shortcomings but they've given me a substantial library of games I'll probably never play.
Yeah, me too. I keep adding them to my library even though I might not play them. Although, my taste can change over time and I'll play something I wouldn't play now.
_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2020, 03:15 PM   #8
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
Servers will crash, just as with GTA5.
yip
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2020, 06:04 PM   #9
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
This, maybe someday.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:15 PM   #10
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Default I did laugh for many seconds.

Quote:
Beautiful.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2020, 08:55 AM   #11
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I love companies that dump a ton of money into baiting people to their product rather than actually making a product good enough to attract customers.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:57 PM   #12
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstew View Post
I love companies that dump a ton of money into baiting people to their product rather than actually making a product good enough to attract customers.
Make sure you don't get it free on launch day then, send a message.

yoz
Old Jun 4, 2020, 05:17 AM   #13
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I think that credo of "if the service is free, you are the product" applies here. Epic is buying itself a returning customer base. Personally, I'm fine with that. Even if the Epic Store were an exact copy of Steam, I'd still not want to use it, because I am already a returning customer at Steam. So quality is not something they should really be aiming for when trying to compete.

Through free games, Epic has made its launcher valuable enough for me to use, and viable enough for me to (occasionally) buy a game there.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 09:14 AM   #14
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
I think that credo of "if the service is free, you are the product" applies here. Epic is buying itself a returning customer base. Personally, I'm fine with that. Even if the Epic Store were an exact copy of Steam, I'd still not want to use it, because I am already a returning customer at Steam. So quality is not something they should really be aiming for when trying to compete.

Through free games, Epic has made its launcher valuable enough for me to use, and viable enough for me to (occasionally) buy a game there.

That means people leave as soon as the free games stop. Their business model isn't sustainable if they don't have a way of keeping customers and getting them to spend money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Make sure you don't get it free on launch day then, send a message.

Don't be silly, of course I'll get it for free, I just won't spend any money on their garbage platform.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:23 AM   #15
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Don't be silly, of course I'll get it for free, I just won't spend any money on their garbage platform.
Ok brah.

yoz
Old Jun 27, 2020, 07:52 PM   #16
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Steam is garbage too, with mandatory updates, not owning your game etc. The only good platform is gog imo.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:38 PM   #17
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
Steam is garbage too, with mandatory updates, not owning your game etc. The only good platform is gog imo.

Fair, but in terms of its feature set and usability it blows every platform out of the water, GOG included. I bought Witcher 3 on GOG though and will do the same for Cyberpunk.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 01:25 PM   #18
azalea
Radeon R300

azalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post

I'd actually agree about GoG being good though. Got Witcher 3 there as well.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 06:40 AM   #19
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea View Post

I'd actually agree about GoG being good though. Got Witcher 3 there as well.
It's not that it's hidden though. Yes I'm kind of happy that the only platform making it right (not exceptional, mind you - it's only exceptional in comparision to all those crappy game lending services we have to use nowadays) is from Poland, but it's secondary to the fact that I own the games and can run them wherever and whenever I want, without mandatory patch and an authorisation from 2 bs launchers.

I don't own Witcher 3, read it all before it was cool but not a big fan now tbh so there goes my patriotism heh. Will be all over Cyberpunk 2020 though.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2020, 04:06 AM   #20
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Console King

Was really looking forward to this but gameplay videos look kinda meh.. I know it's only a SAGA title but it seems like very poor unit variety, campaign map without much replay value, graphics look bland, and the UI looks odd, as if different elements don't match. For example the unit stats panel is a totally different colour and style than everything else, it looks so out of place..

Plus the fact it's free on EPIC says to me they don't have much confidence in it.. also, what does that mean for modding support without steam workshop??? Ughh, no Total War game is good without mods..

I really think they should scrap the SAGA titles and put those resources into fleshing out larger games with far more content.

This is also using the Warhammer engine, not 3K... why?? 3K engine runs so good in comparison.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 09:40 AM   #21
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Total War Troy Thread (out Today Free on Epic Store for 24hours)

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...saga-troy/home

Taken from the deals thread because this desearves it's own thread because 1. the game is out and 2. it's free for today.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Aug 13, 2020, 09:41 AM   #22
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Pity the nubs that paid for it for day 1.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:02 AM   #23
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

It's out and I've claimed it. Registered for the free DLC from the Total War website too.

I think it's probably the least interesting of today's games though.

Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:10 AM   #24
acroig
Master Troll

Got that and Remnant.

yoz
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:21 AM   #25
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Got that and Remnant.
Same, though I'll probably never have time to play them.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:23 AM   #26
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...saga-troy/home

Taken from the deals thread because this desearves it's own thread because 1. the game is out and 2. it's free for today.
FYI there's a thread about this game already. Maybe the mods should merge?
https://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051026
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:42 AM   #27
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

So there is, and merged.

Getting blind in my ageing years.

Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:50 AM   #28
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
So there is, and merged.

Getting blind in my ageing years.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:25 AM   #29
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Thumbs up

Went into it with low expectations and was on the fence at first, but after playing for a couple hours I love it. The new resource system and campaign mechanics are great, and battles are better than I expected from watching youtube vids. I think graphics are pretty damn good too, but I had to change the color vibrance setting to 21% in options otherwise it looked horrid. Runs excellent as well, better than any other recent total war.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 04:14 PM   #30
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

I love how Epic says "Thank you!" every time you nab a free game at a cost to them.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote