Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 20, 2018, 02:11 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I was just in a chat with Samsung, who was expectedly useless in my scenario. They told me my S7 Edge is worth $300 provided that there is no major damage, it powers on, holds a charge etc. I told them I opened the back (I had to replace the battery myself) and they kept telling me as long as nothing is cracked it's eligible. Problem is, there is this nice little line that says "including but not limited to:" before they list all the requirements, which means just because they don't list the fact that the user opening the phone could void the deal, they may still consider it. So if for some reason they deem it ineligible, I don't get the phone back and I have to pay $275.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2018, 03:56 PM   #62
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I was just in a chat with Samsung, who was expectedly useless in my scenario. They told me my S7 Edge is worth $300 provided that there is no major damage, it powers on, holds a charge etc. I told them I opened the back (I had to replace the battery myself) and they kept telling me as long as nothing is cracked it's eligible. Problem is, there is this nice little line that says "including but not limited to:" before they list all the requirements, which means just because they don't list the fact that the user opening the phone could void the deal, they may still consider it. So if for some reason they deem it ineligible, I don't get the phone back and I have to pay $275.
First, if they keep your old phone, and not return it, they have no option other than to give you the $300. They can't keep your old phone and deny giving you the $300 credit, as that would be illegal, and be out right theft.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2018, 04:14 PM   #63
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
First, if they keep your old phone, and not return it, they have no option other than to give you the $300. They can't keep your old phone and deny giving you the $300 credit, as that would be illegal, and be out right theft.
Quote:
If you do not send in your Trade-In Device within 15 days of receiving your new device, you agree to reimburse Samsung for the full trade-in value that was applied to your purchase. If you send in a Trade-In Device, but Samsung determines that your Trade-In Device does not meet Samsung's eligibility requirements for your selected Trade-In offer, you agree to reimburse Samsung for the trade-in value that was applied to your purchase minus $25. You authorize any such charge to be made on the same payment method, or the same Samsung Financing offer if applicable, used for this transaction. No device will be returned to you. Click to see the Terms and Conditions and FAQs of the Samsung Trade-In Program.
That's from their terms.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 21, 2018, 01:00 PM   #64
ice
Rage3D Spammer

From my searching, Samsung is nothing but a scam when it comes to this. You get an email 4 months later saying your phone didn't meet their expectations, like the screen was broken or there's water damage, and they charge your card automatically. People have to get the BBB and AG involved as well as report it to their CC company. Despite all this I still want to go through it because I won't get $300 for my phone any other way, I guess I'm stupid.

It also makes me not want to do business with Samsung in general though so we'll see. If I do go through with it, I will be taking photos and video of the phone being mint and everything working as I box it up.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 02:23 PM   #65
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
From my searching, Samsung is nothing but a scam when it comes to this. You get an email 4 months later saying your phone didn't meet their expectations, like the screen was broken or there's water damage, and they charge your card automatically. People have to get the BBB and AG involved as well as report it to their CC company. Despite all this I still want to go through it because I won't get $300 for my phone any other way, I guess I'm stupid.

It also makes me not want to do business with Samsung in general though so we'll see. If I do go through with it, I will be taking photos and video of the phone being mint and everything working as I box it up.
Keep in mind that most people will post their negative experiences with this sort of stuff rather than the positive outcomes (which are to be expected, the norm).

Having said that, I have previously gone through this process and got the most value from my trade-in without any issues.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2018, 03:52 PM   #66
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Hell no I wouldn’t send it in with those terms. Way too easy for something to happen during shipping or one of their idiots dropping it and blaming it on you.

No way.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2018, 05:25 PM   #67
ice
Rage3D Spammer

I don't really care about that, I know once I file formal complaints I'll get my money back. I still just want to see what the pixel 3XL looks like, I hate this right now trying to figure out what phone is going to be best.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 08:17 PM   #68
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
That's from their terms.
Just because it is in their terms, does not mean it is legally enforceable, or binding, as NO contract can take away your legal rights. If it comes to pushing and shoving, Samsung knows they have no leg to stand on if they try to use those terms against someone who sent in a working, acceptable device. They know this, but they have it in the terms to keep dishonest people from sending in crappy phones that do not work, are broken, etc..

They legally can't just say "sorry your phone doesn't meet the requirements, is broken, or what ever" and call it a day. If pressed, they are required to show proof of such findings, and return the phone, as it is still YOUR legal property. No contract can change that unless the contract is fulfilled on their end, meaning they give you the credit, which then, and only then will the device become their property to do with as they choose.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2018, 08:34 PM   #69
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

So... has anyone here actually got one? I got mine yesterday.

The sound from the handset totally blows away the Note 8. Haven't had a great deal of time to mess around with it yet, but I like it so far. Got the 512GB version and I'm using the 256GB card I got free with my Note 8 purchase.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:09 PM   #70
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimos View Post

The sound from the handset totally blows away the Note 8. Haven't had a great deal of time to mess around with it yet, but I like it so far. Got the 512GB version and I'm using the 256GB card I got free with my Note 8 purchase.
Does the phone include a Micro USB to USB C adapter? Customer support has been telling me it includes one for gear VR.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:19 PM   #71
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Does the phone include a Micro USB to USB C adapter? Customer support has been telling me it includes one for gear VR.
I don't think it does actually, I didn't see one in the box.

The GearVR (new version) has both plugs anyway, you just remove the microUSB connector and insert the USB Type C connector. If you don't have the latest GearVR you wouldn't be able to get the note 9 in there anyway, I know that my Note 8 won't fit in the older one as it is too big.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:34 AM   #72
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
I don't think it does actually, I didn't see one in the box.

The GearVR (new version) has both plugs anyway, you just remove the microUSB connector and insert the USB Type C connector. If you don't have the latest GearVR you wouldn't be able to get the note 9 in there anyway, I know that my Note 8 won't fit in the older one as it is too big.
I have note 8 ED but Samsung says a new adapter is required to fit it. They say it's included with the note 9 when I called them. They said to call them If the adapter it's missing. This whole gear VR support for the note 9 is very confusing.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:07 AM   #73
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:

Sweet.
What did you upgrade from?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:42 AM   #74
0091/2
We Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
Sweet.
What did you upgrade from?
He's comparing it to his note 8.

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:21 AM   #75
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Mine should be delivered today. Looking forward to playing with it.
(Coming from Note 5)

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:50 AM   #76
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Mine should be delivered today. Looking forward to playing with it.
(Coming from Note 5)

Wow, you should be in for a treat -- I went from a Note 4 to a Note 7 (now Note 8), but yours is an even bigger leap.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:04 AM   #77
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Mine will be here today along with my screen protector, case, and Dbrand skin.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:32 AM   #78
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Mine will be here today along with my screen protector, case, and Dbrand skin.
FEED THE SYSTEM!

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2018, 02:50 PM   #79
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

So far liking it.
Battery life remains to be seen (One day of intensive downloading, updates, app installs, etc is not a good way to judge a device).

Also looking at better battery health management this go around. Always left my note 5 plugged in all night. With the note 9 my plan is charge before bed, stop around 90% (80 would be better, I know) and then see how it goes.

Right now, I'm at 45% mid day. Keep in mind, I had an update this morning and did play some fortnight earlier, and keep the AOD running. but looks like it should make it to this evening no problem. Android usually takes a few days to settle after updates and mass installs too.

Also, this is at medium brightness. I had to keep my note 5 on minimum brightness and still couldn't last a day. So, that's a plus!

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Quote:
Old Aug 24, 2018, 07:19 PM   #80
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Not a good comparison, but just a low light look at my old S5, my S7 Edge, and Note 9. Not as big as a difference from S5 to S7 but there is a lot less noise in the Note 9. S7 really held up in the photo category.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 09:38 PM   #81
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Today was much better. 23.5 hours off charger, 3.5 hours screen on time (gaming and browsing and photography) and still 43% battery left.

Quote:
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:24 AM   #82
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Pretty happy with battery so far. A lot was off wifi.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 07:56 PM   #83
A2597
A Peculiar Person

So now very happy with battery life.
Charged last night to 100% because on sundays I run sound at church, and my phone is used for the walk in music for two services.

With my note 5, I would be at less than 30% by end of two services.
Note 9? No issue charged last night and now at 8pm and still 53% battery left. I could probably wait until tomorrow to charge this phone!

Quote:

Last edited by A2597 : Aug 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 03:00 PM   #84
ice
Rage3D Spammer

First day at work with my Note 9, by this time with my S7 Edge even with the new battery I probably would be at about 70-73%. I'm still sitting at 87% after 7 hours.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 05:19 PM   #85
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
First day at work with my Note 9, by this time with my S7 Edge even with the new battery I probably would be at about 70-73%. I'm still sitting at 87% after 7 hours.
Sweet.

I chewed through a bit more battery today, but am still around 53% with just a couple hours left until I put it on the charger.

That said, I also haven't been charging to 100% to try to help maintain the battery over the life of the phone. It still feels weird to charge the phone in the evening before bed, and leave it off charger overnight until the next day...but so far so good!

Really been liking the performance as well. Asphalt 9 looks amazing, zippy for every task I do so far.

The screen is way better than the note 5, which is impressive in and of itself.

The pen, still haven't used the remote functions much, but do use the pen regularly for notes/general use.

Cameras - getting used to the dual lens focus. I'm used to the IPhone 8 way of doing things with depth sensors. This one works differently. Better at some cases, worse at others. But overall very happy to have a non-digital zoom option on the camera.

speakers. Oh wow, SO much better than the note 5. Stereo and rich for a phone IMHO. No complaints at all.

Quote:
Old Aug 27, 2018, 09:05 PM   #86
ice
Rage3D Spammer

It's 9pm and I just finally went through a quarter of my battery haha.

And yeah, the speakers are pretty great coming from an S7. They have some actual depth.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 09:10 AM   #87
ice
Rage3D Spammer

I'm on day 2 at work with 53% battery and 3 hours of screen time.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:31 PM   #88
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Today was probably the day I pushed it most. 5.5 hours screen on time anywhere from medium to full (max outdoor sunlight) brightness.

Multiple conference calls, browsing, gaming, youtube.

Still went to bed at 20% battery.

Quote:
Old Aug 29, 2018, 09:55 AM   #89
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Come back in a couple of months and report. Most batteries are amazing the first couple of months people get it. But things start to equalize, phones arent fresh and batteries goes out of that honeymoon phase.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2018, 09:58 AM   #90
ice
Rage3D Spammer

I haven't had a phone ever last this long out of the box. Of course batteries age.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.