Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Oct 1, 2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
tranCendenZ
Radeon Northern Islands

tranCendenZ is still being judged by the masses

NBA 2K6 realtime gameplay video XBOX 360 - shockingly real!

tranCendenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 09:34 AM   #2
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

I love the "plastic action figure" look they've got going on.

Seriously though, it does look good, but I can't help thinking it looks like those high quality models you can buy for things.
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Night Fisher
ERGO PROXY

Night Fisher is still being judged by the masses

You just pulled a double dribble...

http://66.224.5.66/board/showthread.php?t=33830371
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 1, 2005, 09:45 AM   #4
DarkPretender
Radeon Volcanic Islands

DarkPretender is still being judged by the masses

sweet video, but there is a flaw in making there game ultra realistic like that. The faces have absoulutly NO expression (that I noticed in the trailer). Most stars are yelling and screaming when they dunk.

Im not saying its bad, im just saying if I do go to the darkside and get a console, i would focus on that. Otherwise, looks awesome! Noticed a collide glitch, which to me proves its still a video game
System: AMD X2 4400+ Toledo (89w) running at 2.6ghz, x1900xt 512mb, Abit AT8 32x, TDK 8x DVD Burner, Samsung 16x DVD-ROM, 250 GB Western Digital SE, 40 GB Western Digital, Audigy 2 ZS, Speedlink 5.1 headset, Thermaltake Lanfire case.
DarkPretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:55 AM   #5
phexus
Radeon Evergreen

phexus is still being judged by the masses

since they are getting the faces so realistic now, does that mean they have to model EVERY NBA players face? that would be one helluva task.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:15 PM   #6
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by phexus
since they are getting the faces so realistic now, does that mean they have to model EVERY NBA players face? that would be one helluva task.
Well, it's a sports franchise, they basically only have to do it once and that'll be it for every game in that series for the rest of the generation.
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:46 PM   #7
phexus
Radeon Evergreen

ah yes, that makes perfect sense
Old Oct 1, 2005, 01:00 PM   #8
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

i wonder when the developers are going to solve the clothing problem. the cloths always seem to float a little off the model.
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 02:56 PM   #9
NonSoft
Poison Tester

NonSoft is still being judged by the masses

Where did his neck go?

NonSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Night Fisher
ERGO PROXY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSoft

Where did his neck go?
It's retracted! Bop him in the head and it'll pop up:
http://www.duanedimock.com/lrhsKnigh...ckemRobots.jpg

(well, anyone who's old enough to know this game will understand - look at the boxes if you don't)

Nf.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 03:30 PM   #11
apollooff320
Radeon R520

apollooff320 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee
I love the "plastic action figure" look they've got going on.

Seriously though, it does look good, but I can't help thinking it looks like those high quality models you can buy for things.
it doesn't look that good? WTF have u been smoking I don't see not one game out today that has better models then those. To the guy that say they all seem to be screaming or yelling when they are dunking the ball....have you played baskeball before? You sure don't smile or laugh when going for a dunk. This game gives me a reason to buy a Xbox 360.
apollooff320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 03:49 PM   #12
Grannus

Grannus is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSoft
Where did his neck go?
His jersey is up so it covers the neck
Grannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 03:54 PM   #13
phexus
Radeon Evergreen

now you know, that the only part of the game that will look this good are the replays and such, the regular game will look just like any other basketball game with higher res models.. from the look of the vid, it looks like they still need a ton of work on player movements. Seems to me like that would almost be impossible to make perfect.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:05 PM   #14
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollooff320
it doesn't look that good? WTF have u been smoking I don't see not one game out today that has better models then those. To the guy that say they all seem to be screaming or yelling when they are dunking the ball....have you played baskeball before? You sure don't smile or laugh when going for a dunk. This game gives me a reason to buy a Xbox 360.
Read my post again, I said that it does look good.

I would assume the clothes are off the model because they're using physics for realistic cloth effects. To have them virtually touching the model would require a lot of calculations to stop it "clipping" through the player models. It's a nice compromise between having them "painted on" or having them right up against the model, but not moving realistically. I'm sure it's not very noticeable when you're actually playing.
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:07 PM   #15
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

I'm almost too shocked to say a word...

It even looks damned real in motion.....

Holy cow... the XBOX 360 can't arrive soon enough! Bye bye, PC's!
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:19 PM   #16
diehard
Radeon R420

diehard is still being judged by the masses

Seems like this is one of the first games that invokes the effects of the "uncanny valley" in some people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:20 PM   #17
Night Fisher
ERGO PROXY

Quote:
Originally Posted by phexus
now you know, that the only part of the game that will look this good are the replays and such, the regular game will look just like any other basketball game with higher res models.. from the look of the vid, it looks like they still need a ton of work on player movements. Seems to me like that would almost be impossible to make perfect.
You know, after looking at the hires video of that, you're right: They really
are just showing replays. Otherwise folks would whine about camera angles and such.

No matter, I'm not really a sports fan anyhow (at least, not in the current
state of sport games).

Nf.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:20 PM   #18
john2
Radeon Southern Islands

john2 is still being judged by the masses

Amazing graphics but this isn't real movement at all.It's way better than NBA Live 2006 but yeah,it really looks like a game and not like a true match.If you think that this is real then you'll have to watch again some basketball matches.Nonetheless,fantastic graphics,although the crowd looks a bit blocky
john2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:26 PM   #19
DarkPretender
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollooff320

WTF are you smoking? Those models are not that good. HL2 has better. What you think is good is the high-resolution textures. Basically, they went around and took pictures of all the players. Im not saying it doens't look good, but the facial part of the model is nothing special. Infact, it has no reaction. Im not expecting smiles, im expecting change tho. Your facial expression does change.

I still think this could backfire, although having such high resolution life pictures DOES make it look great, not every genera of game can accomidate that. Hopefully other games with better models and gameplay (well, different gameplay ) but not as great of textures wont lose out to this.
System: AMD X2 4400+ Toledo (89w) running at 2.6ghz, x1900xt 512mb, Abit AT8 32x, TDK 8x DVD Burner, Samsung 16x DVD-ROM, 250 GB Western Digital SE, 40 GB Western Digital, Audigy 2 ZS, Speedlink 5.1 headset, Thermaltake Lanfire case.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:36 PM   #20
DarkPretender
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz
I'm almost too shocked to say a word...

It even looks damned real in motion.....

Holy cow... the XBOX 360 can't arrive soon enough! Bye bye, PC's!

Ok lets get somthing straight. Every console released has passed up PC's, but not for very long. Xbox360 will be on top untill the next gen video cards are out. Bye Bye? Yeah right...

Secondly, this has nothing to do with the super duper processing/gpu processing power of these leet uber mechines (notice the sarcasim). This has to do with a GREAT idea. The idea of taking high resolution photos of players and putting them on a model. Genious idea, but this can be doing on any current PC. So why dont they?

Consoles do have a big advantage over PC's. All the specs are the same. All xbox360s will have the exact same specs. When your developing for a computer you cant just do the enthusiest market. You need to spread your costs around to accomidate everybody. Developing for a console is just about making the best you can on your dev kit.

They could do that, and better, on current high end pc technology. Hell, even a slightly above midrange PC could run that. Its nothing special but real life textures applied to a few more pologons. Those models are not that complex. Hell, nothing changes other then the fact that they sweat. No facial change at ALL. I had to watch it like 4 times to make sure I didn't just miss it.

Again, dont take this as a hateful statement. It looks great and was definatly the best idea for such a game. I mean, it will look AWESOME. But alot of you xbox fans cry hype on sony's part. Sony this, sony that...in reality this is the exact same thing. Every single game will not be like this. Most games wont be the same...possibly slightly worse, but certainly not better.

Cheers do the person who thought it up...this should have been done a long time ago for PC's game. but with Dell still shipping 256mb on most there standard machines, who blames developers for not expecting to have enough memory for such hi-res textures.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:42 PM   #21
cheetahl
Rage3D Veteran

cheetahl is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Fisher
You know, after looking at the hires video of that, you're right: They really
are just showing replays. Otherwise folks would whine about camera angles and such.

No matter, I'm not really a sports fan anyhow (at least, not in the current
state of sport games).

Nf.
Actually the low to the floor perspective is an actual camera angle in the game. Obviously it would be hard to play with that camera. Check out Gamespots preview where the mention the camera. They also have some different videos than IGN http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...w_6134801.html

I don't understand all the pessimists on this board. Seems like some of you just look for faults and ignore all the great things shown in these videos. Show me a sports game that looks better that this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPretender

Ok lets get somthing straight. Every console released has passed up PC's, but not for very long. Xbox360 will be on top untill the next gen video cards are out. Bye Bye? Yeah right...
Is it really necessary to turn yet another thread into PC vs Console? Quit thread crapping. Did you even watch the videos? This is impressive for a lot of reasons, and yet all you can talk about are textures.

Last edited by cheetahl : Oct 1, 2005 at 04:59 PM.
cheetahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 06:20 PM   #22
DarkPretender
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahl
Is it really necessary to turn yet another thread into PC vs Console? Quit thread crapping. Did you even watch the videos? This is impressive for a lot of reasons, and yet all you can talk about are textures.
Ok, first off, maybe you cant read because I quoted sombody mention that PC's are going Bye Bye (his words, not mine). THATS why I brought it up.

Secondly, yes I watched the video...again, had you read what I said I even mentioned a FLAW in the videos.

Look...its impressive, but it can also be done on current PC's. Nothing special about high resolution textures. Absolutly nothing. No special HDR in that video, no special shaders, no special anything. It can all have been done before. THAT was my point...jeez. Your like michael moore, take what sombody says and twists it to what you want people to think I said. Maybe thats why you only quoted part of what I said.

And before you scream about me turning this political im NOT, im making a freaking comparison to your train of thought. Simple comparison. But dont quote just that part and think I wont call you on it.

[edit] to drive my point home, nothing in that video is anything special to the xbox360 UBER LEET HARDWARE. That is my point. It isn't some unified shader, some tri core coded, some intensive shader game. Im not saying its impressive, because it is. But dont tell me that only the xbox360 is powerfull enough to make such uber graphics, because thats not true.

Hell, i highly doubt any game released in the first year on the xbox360 would use two cores, much less three. Sure, some will...but most probably not. CPU's on the new gen consoles are way to excessive for whats nessisary. Multithreading code for games is almost worthless, and still in the womb.

Last edited by DarkPretender : Oct 1, 2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 06:23 PM   #23
apollooff320
Radeon R520

apollooff320 is still being judged by the masses

wow thx for letting me know about the gamespot video.
apollooff320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 06:39 PM   #24
radE8
Radeon Evergreen

radE8 is still being judged by the masses

http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc/D3D..._Rendering.pdf
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7800.html (sub-surface scattering)

so let me get this straight. this effect, one that is a make or break function of new card buyers, something that is supposedly easier to do with teh sm3.0, a reason to pound ati for 'holding back the industry', is finally implemented in a real game and... there is backlash?

I think they did well, especially to those calling bullshot on the b-ball images displayed earlier for xbox360.
radE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 06:49 PM   #25
villain4hire
Banned

villain4hire is still being judged by the masses

People will always find a reason to whine about sumfin.....bottom line..Shaq looks like Shaq and the game is better than any nba game out there so that's enough for me to warrant a 360 purchase & the game.
villain4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 08:08 PM   #26
cheetahl
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Ok, first off, maybe you cant read because I quoted sombody mention that PC's are going Bye Bye (his words, not mine). THATS why I brought it up.
Someone said bye bye to pc's, not pc's are going bye bye. Big Difference.

Quote:
Look...its impressive, but it can also be done on current PC's. Nothing special about high resolution textures. Absolutly nothing. No special HDR in that video, no special shaders, no special anything. It can all have been done before. THAT was my point...jeez. Your like michael moore, take what sombody says and twists it to what you want people to think I said. Maybe thats why you only quoted part of what I said.
And yet there is nothing on PC like it. I guess you don't consider cloth physics special? First time I've seen it in a sports game.

Quote:
And before you scream about me turning this political im NOT, im making a freaking comparison to your train of thought. Simple comparison. But dont quote just that part and think I wont call you on it.
I didn't quote your entire essay because it was too big. Haven't you ever been in a forum where people quote entire pages, its a mess. Not to mention your post is right above mine.

Quote:
to drive my point home, nothing in that video is anything special to the xbox360 UBER LEET HARDWARE. That is my point. It isn't some unified shader, some tri core coded, some intensive shader game. Im not saying its impressive, because it is. But dont tell me that only the xbox360 is powerfull enough to make such uber graphics, because thats not true.
So you're saying this is just the tip of the iceberg for xbox360 sports games? Sounds good to me. I don't quite get why you keep bringing up the PC in the console forum.

Quote:
Hell, i highly doubt any game released in the first year on the xbox360 would use two cores, much less three. Sure, some will...but most probably not. CPU's on the new gen consoles are way to excessive for whats nessisary. Multithreading code for games is almost worthless, and still in the womb
Wow, tell us something we don't know. That is true of all consoles, and paints a pretty picture for the future games that do take full advantage.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 08:51 PM   #27
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
WTF are you smoking? Those models are not that good. HL2 has better.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ha...ns.html?page=8

Sure.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:26 PM   #28
DarkPretender
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz

That right there has got to be the best argument ive ever heard! I hope your in a debate class...

Ok now look, a better comparison would be a REAL TIME COMPARISON which obviously isn't possible. Based on that trailer and having played HL2 I can say without a doubt HL2 is better. Why? Well first off..how about expressions. Every conversation in HL2 feels like a real conversation. Im sorry, but a perfect example is at the end of the trailer one man is guarding another. The guy with the ball, slams back and knocks the guy back. The man behind was such a real man, his face had the same exact expression.

Granted, its just a trailer, its obviously not final. But if that entire game is nothing but static faces...I will be disappointed. Ill take slightly lower quality faces that make me feel like im actually talking to said person, then a intense game of basketball where everybody is static.

If you put so much detail into a game, "little" things like that will stand out. keep in mind, this is ALL speculation. None of us have any idea how it will turn out, but if in the end im right...it will bother alot of people. Its like that one wall where the texture just doesn't meet the side, or that sound that just doesn't sound realistic (these are just general issues some games have had, for those that I need to spell every single thing I say out too). It works like this...if somthing is flawed. Lower textures, no wavey jersy, blah blah blah then a thing like static faces doesn't matter. All sports games have always had it. If your going to go ultra realistic a thing like static faces will appear a problem.

Hey cheetahl, when you graduate middle school then we can hold a conversation. I dont know if you seriously dont have an logical capabilities or if you just think everything anybody ever says is exactly what it means. Heres one for ya, people in glass house shouldn't throw stones. I resond to WHY I brought up pcs and you say my quote was wrong...and then later brought it up agian (why do I keep bringing it up). Your like that little kid that always has to have the last word. I was right, had an approrpiet response, and you have to deflect it and bring it up again...like im going to just not bring it up.

Im not saying that any of it was not good. Jeez, but there is a point where it needs to be BALANCED.

Then you finish it off with saying "tell us somthing we dont know". You evidently DONT KNOW IT. Multithreading code is worthless when it comes to games. For the effort it would take to code it, it would cost you five times as much, and 3 times as much time. All for at max a 25% boost! Its just a concept your going to have to accept. Im not saying it cant be useful. Sure, we can have AI on one thread, sound and physics on another, and then everything else on one. Hell...wtf is the point of a sound chip and gpu? Those are SPECIALIZED parts (btw im still talking about consoles before you ***** about it again). A cpu is used too generally. To effiecently code a multithreaded game to balance would never get the benifits microsoft and sony are throwing around. Its HARD stuff, and unless youve programmed at all before you dont have any idea what ammount of difficulty.

I wont get into specifics but ill be glad to type my entire knowledge of structured programming with components some other day if your willing to learn.

Last edited by DarkPretender : Oct 1, 2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:13 AM   #29
Renocide
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Renocide is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Then you finish it off with saying "tell us somthing we dont know". You evidently DONT KNOW IT. Multithreading code is worthless when it comes to games. For the effort it would take to code it, it would cost you five times as much, and 3 times as much time. All for at max a 25% boost! Its just a concept your going to have to accept. Im not saying it cant be useful. Sure, we can have AI on one thread, sound and physics on another, and then everything else on one. Hell...wtf is the point of a sound chip and gpu? Those are SPECIALIZED parts (btw im still talking about consoles before you ***** about it again). A cpu is used too generally. To effiecently code a multithreaded game to balance would never get the benifits microsoft and sony are throwing around. Its HARD stuff, and unless youve programmed at all before you dont have any idea what ammount of difficulty.

I wont get into specifics but ill be glad to type my entire knowledge of structured programming with components some other day if your willing to learn.
I don't know alot about game programming BUT I have watched alot of video lately with developers talking about thier Xbox360 games and EVERYONE seems to make a big deal about the 2 threads per core that the hardware provides and how great it is.
One is the recent interview with Cliff B. and another guy. I can't remember his name but the other person in that interview stated that the video that they were showing was only utilizing 1 of the cores and running at 30 fps. He then stated that when they role in the other 2 cores that they would hit the 60 fps mark easily. If it is useless in games how can he make that statment? Wouldn't he know that someone who knows what he is talking about is going to call him out on it? And if he was lying why haven't we seen the "Stupid Unreal 3 developers have no idea that the Xbox360 cores are useless" article?
There is another interview with the guy from Call of Duty 2 how, agian, talkes about how much power the Xbox360 3 core CPU is. How he gave his guys 2 months to see if they could get anymore juice out of the 3 core setup and he said they did it and they are utilizing it in the game.

I would just like to hear your thoughts on why these people are saying what they are saying if you know its a worthless CPU?
Renocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:39 AM   #30
cheetahl
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Hey cheetahl, when you graduate middle school then we can hold a conversation.
Our conversation ended when you resorted to insults. Now who's acting like a middle schooler?

Oh, and multi-core cpu's are the future. All three consoles will have them, and it's the future of PC's. I don't need to be a programmer to know that. Worthless for games? Then I guess all the engineers who designed these consoles should be fired and hire you. You said that multi-core is only a concept and yet you know that it will only allow a 25% boost in performance. How do you know this if its only a concept? You're a riot.

Last edited by cheetahl : Oct 2, 2005 at 12:53 AM.