Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Want to get a new Verizon smart phone, need suggestions

Want to get the woman a new phone for christmas, but not sure which one. Comparing the phones on Verizons website doesn't really help.

Whats the difference between the Razr, Razr Maxx HD, Razr M, and the Razr HD?

What Phones do you guys like? I've got a Droid X and it works well for what I use it for and she seems to like it alright.

I have the unlimited plan now, when I upgrade her to a data plan (she has a basic plan currently, and I have a data plan, and the phones are on a shared account), am I going to loose the unlimited plan, or will she just be able to get the same plan I have currently? Someone mentioned in another thread that they handle the 3g and 4g phone plans differently?

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

She will be teired 3g and 4g are not handled different. Droid DNA is the best on Verizon now. I've owned every raze variant on Verizon. While the DNA doesn't have a sd it comes global unlocked. Works with every SIM I tested so far. Main thing is this phone is stupid fast and has excellent reception in comparison to the razrs running the same prl

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:51 PM   #3
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thanks for info. I liked the displays on the Razr's but didn't really get to check anything else out. Does the DNA have a nice display as well?

Chatted with Verizon and my unlimited is kept the same, she will be limited to their current offerings (likely the $30 for 2gb per month) as far as plans go

Last edited by wonder squirrel : Jan 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
Thanks for info. I liked the displays on the Razr's but didn't really get to check anything else out. Does the DNA have a nice display as well?

Chatted with Verizon and my unlimited is kept the same, she will be limited to their current offerings (likely the $30 for 2gb per month) as far as plans go
The dna has the best display on the market at 1080P res. As a owner of an i5, note2, s3, several razrs. I can tell you it puts all the displays to shame even though may of them are very good.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Since VZW doesnt have the lumia 920, either the iphone 5 or droid dna
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Battery life for me on the i5 and dna for me are similar, regardless of what reviews spew. My dna is running stock and so is my i5. The dna reception is far better. Sitting in my office I have 2 bar 3g on my verizon i5 and full bar LTE signal on my dna. Both are running the latest profile. I don't know what antenna is in the dna but it's insane. I get LTE in my elevator where I usually cant even get cell service. Signal greatly affects battery life and that's why I believe for me my battery life is similar.

Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Battery life for me on the i5 and dna for me are similar, regardless of what reviews spew. My dna is running stock and so is my i5. The dna reception is far better. Sitting in my office I have 2 bar 3g on my verizon i5 and full bar LTE signal on my dna. Both are running the latest profile. I don't know what antenna is in the dna but it's insane. I get LTE in my elevator where I usually cant even get cell service. Signal greatly affects battery life and that's why I believe for me my battery life is similar.
I am finding my AT&T iphone 5 to have odd receptions issues as well; I believe its a known issue with the software.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:19 AM   #8
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Stop being gay (in the bad way) and buy Lumia 920.

Thank you.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

With the Razr HD/HD MAXX getting Jelly Bean next week and the M already having it I don't think you could go wrong with any of those.

The DNA would be a good option as well but battery life is all over the place on forums and reviews.

There is always the iPhone 5 which is going to be a solid choice as well.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:39 PM   #10
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

In my experience unless you get the razr maxx, you won't get better battery life in comparison to the razr and razr m with the DNA. The s3 does get better battery as well not by too much tough. However, I highly suggest the dna, i5, or s3. The dna and i5 on verizon are unlocked so if you travel you won't need to get a separate gsm phone. Also, if you get tired of verizon you can easily use another gsm based carrier in the US. The s3 on verizon can be made to operate on gsm unlocked but will require some work on your end.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Nov 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:53 PM   #11
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Recently submerged my phone Immediately pulled the battery and let it sit for a few days to dry. After sticking the battery in, a led comes on and two of the buttons stay lit, nothing else comes on/ works. The lower backside of the phone gets very hot quickly so I assume something in the water (salt water) got inthere and is creating a short, or there is still water in there. Either way I think its a lost cause now.

Anyone know of a good place to order a verizon phone that does not charge California sales tax? The DNA runs about $600 unless you get a contract. I'd like to keep my current unlimited data plan so.. Tigerdirect has the DNA for $649, but I've had no luck getting them to pricematch under their price protection gaurantee policy (they refuse to get back to me after 3 attempts). Any other trust worthy retailors out there not charging tax?

Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You should have stuck it in rice!!! fool!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:58 PM   #13
mrbaggs
Ashes to Ashes

mrbaggs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Recently submerged my phone Immediately pulled the battery and let it sit for a few days to dry. After sticking the battery in, a led comes on and two of the buttons stay lit, nothing else comes on/ works. The lower backside of the phone gets very hot quickly so I assume something in the water (salt water) got inthere and is creating a short, or there is still water in there. Either way I think its a lost cause now.

Anyone know of a good place to order a verizon phone that does not charge California sales tax? The DNA runs about $600 unless you get a contract. I'd like to keep my current unlimited data plan so.. Tigerdirect has the DNA for $649, but I've had no luck getting them to pricematch under their price protection gaurantee policy (they refuse to get back to me after 3 attempts). Any other trust worthy retailors out there not charging tax?

Not really a retailer but ebay i've had good luck with. I got my DNA on there brand new sealed for $480.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:39 AM   #14
wonder squirrel
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
You should have stuck it in rice!!! fool!
Day late dollar short kind of thing. I wasn't able to immediately act other than wiping it down and pulling the back/ battery off Got it in a bag of rice now anyways, figured worst case im only out a couple bucks for the rice at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaggs View Post
Not really a retailer but ebay i've had good luck with. I got my DNA on there brand new sealed for $480.
Did you buy it off some random person or a store? If its a store, let me know and ill see if they have anything left

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:40 AM   #15
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I have had good success buying phones off of Craigslist. That's how I have managed to keep my unlimited plan for so long. Just be sure to check the ESN/MEID before you buy the phone or better yet meet at a Verizon store or the transaction. That way you won't be buying a stolen or blocked phone. I bought my Razr that way for insanely cheap (traded a X2 to it straight up) and have been very satisfied. Sure it's not the latest but it's good enough for me. And did I mention cheap.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:12 PM   #16
wonder squirrel
Godlike

I pulled the Droid X apart to take a look at things. Rice dust ended up in it EVERYWHERE. Nothing stuck out at me as being burnt or damaged (I wasn't counting on it really) and there was no moisture in it anywhere. The LED has changed though from solid blue to either green, or sometimes blue/ green, and now all four of the lower hard buttons are lit at all times. No sounds or vibrating or display at all though. It gets extremly hot while on the charger so something is shorting out in the lower half. Its done unfortunately. I loved that phone.

I looked into buying a used dX but I'm afraid of ending up with someone elses old piece of crap. People on ebay beat the **** out of their phones apparently too. Buying a DNA or something used I would feel better about simply because its much much newer, although there is always a chance of buying someone elses problem.

I have a few more questions here for you guys now about new stuff.

I think the woman is going to go with the DNA. The battery is really the only concern with her (other than the $200 price tag as money is somewhat tight here and upgrading to a more expensive monthly data plan doesn't help matters). Not so much the day to day battery life, but more the lifetime of the battery as it deteriorates over time. In a year and half, two years, is this going to be a headache for day to day usuage since its not replaceable? She is likely to hold onto it for awhile, as would I.

I used my old phone mainly to surf the intrawebz, email, watch netflix, and play little games on to kill time. Occasionly I would make a phone call on it too I was looking at the DNA, S3, or the Note2 for myself. Of the three, what would you guys go for? I dont like the nonreplaceable battery and nonexpandable storage in the DNA. If it takes great photos and video in 1080p, I could see it filling up the storage (and killing the battery) very quickly. It wouldn't be much of an issue to upload the photos/ vid, but I would think 1080p video would eat up the 11gb of available storage too quickly, leaving people of the intrerwebz to only see the first thirty minutes of my funny cat video. Everything else about it seems good though.

I haven't checked out the Note2 in person yet, but I do like the big display it has. I like that you can use the S-pen with it. Bigger and replaceable battery is good, expandable storage is good too. I dont know if its going to be too large or not for day to day carrying/ use. I would be getting a case for it, so that would only add to its girth, even if only a small amount. I'll be checking it out later this afternoon though. Price is a negative though as I'll be paying retail for it. Is it worth about $100 more than the DNA?? Any major problems with these phones you guys could think of? I cant really wait for any newer stuff as I need a phone now.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:39 AM   #17
wonder squirrel
Godlike

The woman decided on the DNA. We went into Costco this evening to get her new phone and the rep was able to hook me up too. I was able to get the DNA for $199 and keep my unlimited data plan

Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18
wonder squirrel
Godlike

I noticed something weird on the new phone. When browsing rage, I open a forum, like offtopic and everything looks normal. When I open a specific topic though like the funny cat thread, the page colors and peoples avatars get really faded and washed out looking, except the pages background colors and the blue bars (the stock pure rage theme), they are still sharp and crisp looking.

Edit: Seems to be fine in the Opera mobile browser and the womans phone (although she wasnt logged in so there were no avatars)

Last edited by wonder squirrel : Jan 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:16 AM   #19
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
The woman decided on the DNA. We went into Costco this evening to get her new phone and the rep was able to hook me up too. I was able to get the DNA for $199 and keep my unlimited data plan

able to keep your unlimited data?

i thought that was a "no absolutely not, can not be done" if coming from a 3g phone and going to 4g?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:17 AM   #20
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
able to keep your unlimited data?

i thought that was a "no absolutely not, can not be done" if coming from a 3g phone and going to 4g?
I was able to keep my unlimited data going from a 3g Droid x2 to a 4g Razr. But I had to buy my phone from a individual if I renewed or changed my contract in anyway they told me my unlimited would be gone forever. So I will be stuck either buying used phones or paying full price for new ones. I don't know how he worked that out.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:05 AM   #21
wonder squirrel
Godlike

I dont know the exact details of the loophole, but my line was a secondary line- this is required for the loophole apparently. He switched my phone to the primary and the primary (kats phone) to the secondary. Upgraded each phone, then switched them back. I asked the guy atleast 4-5 times about keeping the unlimited data plan, and each time he assured me that I would still have it.

I verified on Verizons website that I do still indeed have the unlimited plan with no new charges other than the one time $30 upgrade fee they now charge. When shopping around online, I noticed on some websites you could do the upgrade device option (if available to you) WITHOUT a change of contract. I was unsure if I should try this because I didn't want to screw something up. Dell's website allows you to do this, but they specifically say the $30 unlimited plan is no longer available. There are also other sites with the same option that doesn't list anything about the plan other than "No account change" though I forgot which ones at the moment.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:57 PM   #22
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
I was able to keep my unlimited data going from a 3g Droid x2 to a 4g Razr. But I had to buy my phone from a individual if I renewed or changed my contract in anyway they told me my unlimited would be gone forever. So I will be stuck either buying used phones or paying full price for new ones. I don't know how he worked that out.
Hmm interesting. Been pondering getting a new phone to replace my droid x. So as long as i buy a phone separately without a contract i should be good to go and keep my unlimited data?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:04 PM   #23
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Hmm interesting. Been pondering getting a new phone to replace my droid x. So as long as i buy a phone separately without a contract i should be good to go and keep my unlimited data?
That's how it worked for me. But then again I read about it on Droidforum and called Verizon just to be sure before I switched phones.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:30 PM   #24
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Cool, squirrel your going to have to let me know how the dna compares to the droid x
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:30 PM   #25
wonder squirrel
Godlike

I loved my Droid X. It was a great phone overall. Mostly everything you suspect of the DNA is true. Its bigger, faster, etc.
Pros.
Opening apps, shutdown/ restart, etc. are all faster.

The display is better and I really liked the Droid X display too. Overall phone size is only a little taller and wider than the dx, but the bezels are nice and thin on the sides so it keeps it from being too wide.

Camera looks clearer, both the camera and video recording although I've not used either one much to test the actual quality.

Cons I guess. One kind of random thing- I liked that buldge in the back of the Droid X on the top where the comera was. I used that to grip the phone when putting it into and taking it out of pockets. The DNA is flat with rounded edges there so I could see it being easy to drop. I'll be getting a case with some type of texture though so this may be a non issue.

I liked that I could hit the home button on the droid x to get to the unlock screen when the phone was alseep. From there you could just swipe your thumb to unlock it without shifting your hands position. The DNA requires you to hit the button on the top of the phone, which kind of requires two hands or requires you to shift your one hand around. I wear a size large/ XL glove and I cant reach the top buttons without shifting my hand around. Could be easy to drop the phone.

The unlock slider seems like it could be easy to unlock in your pocket by mistake. You can drag the unlock slider any upward direction to unlock the phone. The dx had the straight drag and would give vibration feedback when you unlocked it, the DNA does not (unless it can be turned on somewhere, but I've not seen a setting for it).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:51 PM   #26
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback. I too like the bulge on the back of the droid x, makes it hard to drop lol. I'll have to mull over this for a few days.gonna have to decide if I want a droid dna or go eyefinity on my gaming pc with 2 more dell u2412m screens.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:30 PM   #27
wonder squirrel
Godlike

I liked the Droid X, if it were me and I had some loose cash I'd get another u2412m instead to go with the one I have now and ditch the old ass CRT I use as a secondary