Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jun 22, 2022, 08:48 PM   #6061
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
So for the layman, what causes these spikes and why can't nV keep them in check?
This. Somewhere there is an issue that should not be occurring.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 09:03 PM   #6062
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
This. Somewhere there is an issue that should not be occurring.
Article specified EVGA (which I happen to own) and when I got the 3080Ti I was forced to get a new PSU due to the same issue. Old PSU is working fine on a 3080.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2022, 09:22 PM   #6063
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Article specified EVGA (which I happen to own) and when I got the 3080Ti I was forced to get a new PSU due to the same issue. Old PSU is working fine on a 3080.
didn't say much about AMD and transients at all

i would suppose AMD has them also but i have not seen them but then i got my 6900 xt on a good 1200 PSU
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 23, 2022, 01:53 AM   #6064
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
They're actually running instant rebates!

I guess that really demonstrates how much the supply/demand balance has shifted.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2022, 05:11 AM   #6065
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Part of that problem is the PSU, not just the GPU. The transient spikes have always been there, it's just exacerbated by the higher power draw of Ampere - PCIE 5.0 PSUs and this next gen of hardware have much tighter restrictions for how the PSU handles those transients. You have PSU manufacturers that were doing the bare minimum or leaving their transient response weak.. but can't do that anymore.

Samsung 8nm is also partly to blame for that higher power draw. The other end is the high power design to eek out an extra couple % performance by NV.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2022, 05:55 AM   #6066
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Thanks Nunz, that makes sense.

Still worried about power requirements for nV 4000 series.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 06:04 AM   #6067
acroig
Troll SMod

Old Jun 28, 2022, 06:36 AM   #6068
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Was a dope af card that basically is a 3080 Ti. Too bad wasn’t cracked for mining so I had to sell mine and upgrade to a 3080 Ti for secondary rig.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2022, 08:14 AM   #6069
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Still worried about power requirements for nV 4000 series.
Same here. Put a 1600w evga gold in this desktop machine last week. Is this going to be enough or do I need a 220v circuit and dual power supplies?

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2022, 09:04 AM   #6070
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Think there is no issue with power supplies except need for connectors in the future that might be different. Hence why I didn’t bother getting a new PSU just yet until I am assured about the connectivity.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:14 AM   #6071
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Think there is no issue with power supplies except need for connectors in the future that might be different. Hence why I didn’t bother getting a new PSU just yet until I am assured about the connectivity.
Good call.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 09:21 PM   #6072
acroig
Troll SMod

Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:13 AM   #6073
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
NEXT-GEN CABLEMANAGEMENT™, and the picture shows something that is a mess.

Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:25 AM   #6074
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
NEXT-GEN CABLEMANAGEMENT™, and the picture shows something that is a mess.

I think this will be their answer to 4000 series power requirements.

https://www.evga.com/products/produc...600-PL-1648-LR
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:33 AM   #6075
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

How would the Powerlink be an answer?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:34 AM   #6076
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I think this will be their answer to 4000 series power requirements.

https://www.evga.com/products/produc...600-PL-1648-LR
A solution where the converter is behind the MB tray/under the psu shroud like the ones that seasonic sells would be way more elegant and qualify for statements such as NEXT-GEN cable management, the EVGA gadget is dumb, you still have four visible 8-pin cables.

https://www.pcgamer.com/seasonic-mad...le-management/

https://singularitycases.com/product...d-5000-series/

^
This is what a next-gen solutions looks like.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:37 AM   #6077
KAC
Whatever

That looks dope af.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:42 AM   #6078
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
How would the Powerlink be an answer?
For PSUs that don't have a 16 pin power connector?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:49 AM   #6079
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
For PSUs that don't have a 16 pin power connector?
The cards are supplied with a 16pin adapter. The Powerlink is some weird extra thing EVGA sells to suckers.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 09:59 AM   #6080
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The cards are supplied with a 16pin adapter. The Powerlink is some weird extra thing EVGA sells to suckers.
That makes sense.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:07 PM   #6081
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I got one of those EVGA Powerlink things free with my son's RTX 3060 and did try it out but I found it to be not too secure and a bit cheap feeling. Opted to throw it in the trash. No wonder they were giving them free with video card purchases.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2022, 07:51 AM   #6082
acroig
Troll SMod

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...A-34E98A2628EE

$1,350 for a 3090, times have changed.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:42 PM   #6083
KAC
Whatever

Too expensive. Guys selling 3090s for 1150-1200 for past 2 months.

Last edited by Nunz : Jul 5, 2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 01:25 PM   #6084
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Too expensive. Guys selling 3090s for 1150-1200 for past 2 months.
This is a brand new product though.

Last edited by Nunz : Jul 5, 2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 02:41 PM   #6085
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Console King

I wouldn't touch a 3090 that was mined on with your 10 foot pole KAC-chan...

5:25 into the video or click through and click the provided time stamp.

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2022, 02:48 PM   #6086
KAC
Whatever

Been mining since 2017. Haven’t had issues.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 03:35 PM   #6087
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Been mining since 2017. Haven’t had issues.
Squeal! >:3

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2022, 04:03 PM   #6088
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

1- why buy anything last gen now with the new cards coming from both AMD and NV soon

2 - I would not buy any card used now most will be mining cards no matter what the seller says unless you know the seller well

used mining cards no warranty lots of bad fans and low overclocks

if you have to have a card in the next 3 months buy it from EVGA and hope you can step up
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2022, 03:10 PM   #6089
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
1- why buy anything last gen now with the new cards coming from both AMD and NV soon

2 - I would not buy any card used now most will be mining cards no matter what the seller says unless you know the seller well

if you have to have a card in the next 3 months buy it from EVGA and hope you can step up
This might be true.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 09:44 AM   #6090
Meteor_of_War
Fear is your only god

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

I might not buy a used current gen card at this point. But nothing wrong with still buying current gen when new cards are close to release. Just because something new comes out doesn't mean the last gen stuff is all of a sudden trash.

Matter of fact probably better to buy current right now simply because availability and pricing coming back to normal. When the new stuff launches its going to be hard to get and expensive. Who wants to deal with that bullshit again.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote