Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:03 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
So it got a A5 processor and 4G speed. Android users, exactly why is this phone underpowered? Is there something out there this phone wont run extremely well? If so what is it? I understand they didn't raise the bar, but I am under the impression this phone catches them up hardware and data wise at least. If I am wrong, let me know, I am not here to argue.
The phone specs are on par with anything Android. What else can they do but up the CPU, memory and camera? Not much. Everything lies in software.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:06 PM   #242
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

looking at the chart in the thread below this it appears the A5 chip is twice as fast in that benchmark as the best android offers atm, I am not getting the 4S hate at all. I mean all the complaints about that chart were like well hey thats a tablet these are smartphones so it isnt fair, well now the chip is in a phone so..

t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:07 PM   #243
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

now if Nikon would announce the D800...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:27 PM   #244
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
So it got a A5 processor and 4G speed. Android users, exactly why is this phone underpowered? Is there something out there this phone wont run extremely well? If so what is it? I understand they didn't raise the bar, but I am under the impression this phone catches them up hardware and data wise at least. If I am wrong, let me know, I am not here to argue.
I have a 4.3" screen now so the screen is underpowered. I always used sliders or blackberry devices but with a 4.3" screen the keys are large enough to use on screen. I would buy a 4.5" iPhone today but nope I can wait now. 4.3" is my absolute minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
The phone specs are on par with anything Android. What else can they do but up the CPU, memory and camera? Not much. Everything lies in software.
Not screen size.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:34 PM   #245
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
now if Nikon would announce the D800...
eff that, Where is my 5D Mk III
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:34 PM   #246
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Do you have to buy the phones through Apple or can you buy them from your cell provider?
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:38 PM   #247
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

OK, question.

In the screenshots, the white iphone 4S has this second "speaker" slot next to the the forward facing camera, but the black one does not.

Any thoughts what that is?

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:40 PM   #248
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I believe thats the light sensor. Its there on the black one, but its black so it blends well.

Skipping this phone...very disappointed.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:46 PM   #249
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I believe thats the light sensor. Its there on the black one, but its black so it blends well.

Skipping this phone...very disappointed.
Hey logical, why is the phone so disappointing? Screen size? Screen type? Price? Personally I thought the a5 was a humongous upgrade, is there something this phone is missing or is the lack of aesthetic upgrade what's pissing you off? I am not sure what they could have added to make it better other than the form factor or screen, specs wise it is really nice IMO, and better than anything else.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:50 PM   #250
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Hey logical, why is the phone so disappointing? Screen size? Screen type? Price? Personally I thought the a5 was a humongous upgrade, is there something this phone is missing or is the lack of aesthetic upgrade what's pissing you off? I am not sure what they could have added to make it better other than the form factor or screen, specs wise it is really nice IMO, and better than anything else.
Quote:

For me to get this phone they need to hit these points:
  • Bigger screen, same physical size or only a little bit bigger.
  • Faster Processor, at least something comparable to iPad 2
  • 4g
  • Preferably a little thinner(pushing it though..)
They only hit 2 of my points.. maybe 1 and a half depending on the 4g thing. They delayed the phone by 3-4 months and theres nothing to show for it. We all knew it was going to get some variation of the A5. All the voice to whatever crap is useless to me... Id rather just type it in. I dont use a bluetooth headset. iOS 5 and the cloud are boring to me. I'll stick with my jailbroken iOS4 with lockinfo.

Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:01 PM   #251
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I have a 4.3" screen now so the screen is underpowered. I always used sliders or blackberry devices but with a 4.3" screen the keys are large enough to use on screen. I would buy a 4.5" iPhone today but nope I can wait now. 4.3" is my absolute minimum.

Except I'd have considered the 4S if it increased screen size to 4". Otherwise, specs are great, but 3.5" is the deal breaker for me.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:04 PM   #252
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Let's see 16 months to do what change the proc and fix the crappy antenna problem that was with the iphone4. Total lack of innovation? or Even trying to keep up with competition offerings?

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:06 PM   #253
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Let's see 16 months to do what change the proc and fix the crappy antenna problem that was with the iphone4. Total lack of innovation? or Even trying to keep up with competition offerings?
What doesn't it keep up on? Screen size?

In the other thread we had people saying we wouldn't see the iPad 2's A5 squeezed into an iPhone (the performance thread)
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:11 PM   #254
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman View Post
You guys want forced obsolescence?

The current 4 is still a damned fine phone. I'm just glad that most of the upgrades are software based so that I can continue to use it.
this right here. the 4S with it's 543MP2 is nice and all but I'm perfectly happy with my IP4 tbqh

re: today's developments
not to rag on the 4S which is perfectly fine from a hardware standpoint, but considering we already knew what to expect from ios5 for months already I was hoping apple would have something a little more on the bolder side up their sleeves. it will still print money to be sure, but apple had better bump up the release of their next model if they want to keep people's interest

Last edited by Ciera : Oct 4, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:21 PM   #255
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
What doesn't it keep up on? Screen size?

In the other thread we had people saying we wouldn't see the iPad 2's A5 squeezed into an iPhone (the performance thread)
Screen size is one
No 4g yea it has increased HSDPA guess what? That does nothing for every verizon and sprint iphone 4s customer.
512 ram still for a phone that's 300 dollars for a decent capacity?
Could of been thinner
God forbid we can change batteries
How about something interesting? Personally I like how I can dock my bionic to my tv and use it as a netbook. Instead what do we get voice control that there are tons of apps for.

If this phone came out like 6 months after the original 4 it would be fine in my eyes but this long after. Shitting me.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Oct 4, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:21 PM   #256
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

The lack of 4G is completely unexcusable and is the bulk of the reason Apple stock fell so badly today. They deserve to lose their grip on the smartphone market after this RETAAAARDED move.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:26 PM   #257
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

BBA is still being judged by the masses

My take: If they would have named it Iphone5 instead of iphone 4s...apple people would be ooh'ing and aah'ing all about how great it is.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:26 PM   #258
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
The lack of 4G is completely unexcusable and is the bulk of the reason Apple stock fell so badly today. They deserve to lose their grip on the smartphone market after this RETAAAARDED move.
Fair enouh, I'm on AT&T so I just went along and said, it's faster than 4g for me, but I can see why that would suck for people on other carriers.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:27 PM   #259
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

BBA is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciera View Post
this right here. the 4S with it's 543MP2 is nice and all but I'm perfectly happy with my IP4 tbqh

re: today's developments
not to rag on the 4S which is perfectly fine from a hardware standpoint, but considering we already knew what to expect from ios5 for months already I was hoping apple would have something a little more on the bolder side up their sleeves. it will still print money to be sure, but apple had better bump up the release of their next model if they want to keep people's interest
Stevo is gone...every time he is gone Apple goes to ****. This is perfectly normal.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:28 PM   #260
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA View Post
My take: If they would have named it Iphone5 instead of iphone 4s...apple people would be ooh'ing and aah'ing all about how great it is.
Garbage take.

They could have named it SUPER IPHONE 69 and it would still be what it is. People recognized it isnt what it should have been...look at the stocks.

Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:34 PM   #261
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Garbage take.

They could have named it SUPER IPHONE 69 and it would still be what it is. People recognized it isnt what it should have been...look at the stocks.

ONE MORE REASON this launch pisses me off. I own apple stock

Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:36 PM   #262
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

I guess the best plan is to buy apple stock then, because if it's diving like you say it is, then that's where the money will be made, because it isn't like this thing isn't going to sell.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:43 PM   #263
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I will wait for the real iphone 5. I'm not going to settle less than 4g.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:46 PM   #264
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I do find it strange for marketing though to call it the 4s and not 5. Considering iOS 5, and A5, and being the 5th iphone. I guess they were bit underwhelmed them selves and lacked heart in giving the 5 name and instead called it the 4s because thats closer to what it is.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:48 PM   #265
Sound_Card
Banned

all they had to do was make it 4g. Not hard to do at all. And their stock would be soaring. The market does not want another 3g pos. Especially the market that pays around as much as an iphone. I guess apple thinks all their market lives out in the boonies or something.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:50 PM   #266
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
I do find it strange for marketing though to call it the 4s and not 5. Considering iOS 5, and A5, and being the 5th iphone. I guess they were bit underwhelmed them selves and lacked heart in giving the 5 name and instead called it the 4s because thats closer to what it is.
Releasing a phone that looks identical to the prior and calling it the 5 would even have the zombies going oh wtf.

I remember I saw a tweet earlier today that I found quite funny. Something along the lines of.

"Ladies like the iphone 4s I am clouded in mystery but ultimately a letdown."

Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:54 PM   #267
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

I'm checking out the same photos on apple.com....shens?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:05 PM   #268
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

isnt the GPU dual cores as well? which pretty much the reason for its massive performance advantage?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:05 PM   #269
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

The only thing I care about is that the 4 is now going to be $99.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:07 PM   #270
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
The only thing I care about is that the 4 is now going to be $99.
I'm thinking that might end up being the best stop gap for me as well. $99 bucks and I don't extend my contract.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote