Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Not sure how to handle this

Randomly today my boss emails me and says I need to become a notary. I think it's complete bullshit as we have 3 notaries on staff, but if I have to do this I'm studying on the clock because **** that. My problem is, I don't want to be put in a position where I have to put my name on anything for this company because my boss is a convicted white collar felon and still has questionable business tactics and I don't trust him at all. WTF should I do?
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Sounds like you have two options:

1. Tell your boss you don't feel comfortable with becoming a notary. However, your boss could possibly fire you so are you ready to look for another job.

2. Become a notary. If you don't like what you are doing with that status at your current company, look for another job while you have the current one.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

1. Tell your boss you don't feel comfortable with becoming a notary. However, your boss could possibly fire you so are you ready to look for another job.

2. Become a notary. If you don't like what you are doing with that status at your current company, look for another job while you have the current one.

or 3. Quit. I wouldn't work for a convicted felon who clearly hasn't reformed, personally. I'd be hunting for a job ASAP.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

I've been job hunting, but I think with the holiday and it being the summer it's kind of slow going because a lot of people are on vacation. I'm just not getting as many hits as I'm used to (and not getting spammed as much as usual, either).

I figured these were my only 2 options, but just wanted to see if I was missing something. I'll probably just go with option number 2 until I find a new gig.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post

or 3. Quit. I wouldn't work for a convicted felon who clearly hasn't reformed, personally. I'd be hunting for a job ASAP.
I didn't realize it till I started because they changed names (under their old name they were a competitor to a former employer of mine). He's very good at not doing things illegally, bus he's still kind of sleazy and treats people poorly. The only reason I've stayed is because up till February his sister was still here and she basically ran the show, and she was one of the best people I've ever worked with, so for 2yrs I didn't deal much with my actual boss. Since her leaving I've tried to give him a chance but nothing has changed.

Unfortunately I don't have the means to just quit, otherwise I would've already.

Quote:
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:34 PM   #6
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
I didn't realize it till I started because they changed names (under their old name they were a competitor to a former employer of mine). He's very good at not doing things illegally, bus he's still kind of sleazy and treats people poorly. The only reason I've stayed is because up till February his sister was still here and she basically ran the show, and she was one of the best people I've ever worked with, so for 2yrs I didn't deal much with my actual boss. Since her leaving I've tried to give him a chance but nothing has changed.

Unfortunately I don't have the means to just quit, otherwise I would've already.
Yeah I've worked for people like him before (not felons, but sleazy a-holes). It's easy to say "well, just quit" but harder to do. The job market is super competitive and cutthroat nowadays. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:45 PM   #7
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Yeah I've worked for people like him before (not felons, but sleazy a-holes). It's easy to say "well, just quit" but harder to do. The job market is super competitive and cutthroat nowadays. Good luck with whatever you decide.
The job market kinda sucks because it seems most companies that are currently hiring in NYC have gotten together and decided to underpay everyone in IT who doesn't have DevOps in their title. I got deep into the interview process for one job that I was perfect for and I'm 95% I lost out on it due to the very reasonable and fair salary I was asking for which was basically market rate.

As soon as I find a job that affords me some of the luxuries I have here (as well as pays at least 15% more) I'm out of here.

Quote:
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:48 PM   #8
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
The job market kinda sucks because it seems most companies that are currently hiring in NYC have gotten together and decided to underpay everyone in IT who doesn't have DevOps in their title. I got deep into the interview process for one job that I was perfect for and I'm 95% I lost out on it due to the very reasonable and fair salary I was asking for which was basically market rate.

As soon as I find a job that affords me some of the luxuries I have here (as well as pays at least 15% more) I'm out of here.
Have the skills to be an Infosec Analyst? I'm hiring one in August and we can do East Coast (have offices in Albany, Buffalo, I think in Long Island, etc.).

Good news: We pay fair, benefits are decent
Bad news: I'd be your boss (I'm actually an awesome boss)

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 03:55 PM   #9
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
Have the skills to be an Infosec Analyst? I'm hiring one in August and we can do East Coast (have offices in Albany, Buffalo, I think in Long Island, etc.).

Good news: We pay fair, benefits are decent
Bad news: I'd be your boss (I'm actually an awesome boss)

Nah not my thing despite another member on here bugging me for years to become one. I'm looking for a bigger/better IT Manager gig or project management/implementation type role. I do appreciate the offer though.

Quote:
Old Jul 10, 2019, 04:14 PM   #10
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
I figured these were my only 2 options, but just wanted to see if I was missing something. I'll probably just go with option number 2 until I find a new gig.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 04:23 PM   #11
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:

Nah not my thing despite another member on here bugging me for years to become one. I'm looking for a bigger/better IT Manager gig or project management/implementation type role. I do appreciate the offer though.
Let me ask about that tomorrow (the bolded) as I have a meeting with a few of the other C-levels. I know we DESPERATELY need that on the IT side of the house.

You have your PMP or anything formal for project management beside just hands-on experience? I could give 2 shits about the cert but in case HR decides to get all persnickety about it I figure I may as well ask

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Old Jul 10, 2019, 04:28 PM   #12
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:

Seems to be a trend everywhere these days. I had to take a 33% pay cut when I lost my contracting job because I couldn't find remote work and ended up taking a local IT gig. The salary is painfully low, but we're renting out our basement apartment to make up for some of it. Sucks tho.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 04:36 PM   #13
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Quote:
we're renting out our basement apartment to make up for some of it. Sucks tho.
Yeah, hot chick in your basement. I feel for you bro

Alpha

Omega

Old Jul 10, 2019, 04:45 PM   #14
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Yeah, hot chick in your basement. I feel for you bro

Old Jul 10, 2019, 05:46 PM   #15
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Let me ask about that tomorrow (the bolded) as I have a meeting with a few of the other C-levels. I know we DESPERATELY need that on the IT side of the house.

You have your PMP or anything formal for project management beside just hands-on experience? I could give 2 shits about the cert but in case HR decides to get all persnickety about it I figure I may as well ask
I appreciate the offer/gesture, but unless you have an office in NYC I'm going to have to pass. I'm trying to move further towards the city away from Long Island.

I don't have my PMP, although I do eventually want to get it but because I don't have a 4yr degree I need more hours .

Quote:
Seems to be a trend everywhere these days. I had to take a 33% pay cut when I lost my contracting job because I couldn't find remote work and ended up taking a local IT gig. The salary is painfully low, but we're renting out our basement apartment to make up for some of it. Sucks tho.
Ugh. I can make the same money I'm making elsewhere no problem, but it'd be a downgrade in actual job.

Quote:
Old Jul 10, 2019, 06:28 PM   #16
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Hmm. Dunno off the top of my head about an NYC office. I know we see patients in NYC though.

I’ll ask. Doesn’t hurt to know either way.

Alpha

Omega

Old Jul 10, 2019, 06:59 PM   #17
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Hmm. Dunno off the top of my head about an NYC office. I know we see patients in NYC though.

I’ll ask. Doesn’t hurt to know either way.
I worked on Long Island for almost my entire career up until 2015 when I made the move into the city, and I like it a lot better even if the commute is longer. Also my gf lives in queens so moving out near her cuts down on my commute and also allows us to see each other more.

Quote:
Old Jul 10, 2019, 07:03 PM   #18
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Totally understand dude.

If it works out then it does, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. Will always try to do whatever I can for my fellow Ragers.

Alpha

Omega

Old Jul 10, 2019, 07:38 PM   #19
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Don't notaries have their own code of conduct? I think as notaries act independently from their work, you would be within your authority to refuse to notarize something if it came down to it.

Maybe at that point you'd need the new job, but I don't think you can get roped into shady business dealings by either being required to notarize something or by just notarizing something shady for someone else.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 09:38 PM   #20
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Option 4. Start your own business.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2019, 07:42 AM   #21
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Option 4. Start your own business.
The only thing I'd be even close to qualified to start would be an MSP, and while I thought maybe one day I'd want to, the MSP space in NYC is so crowded I just don't know if I'd want to deal with the stress and 60hr work weeks for like 4-5yrs straight just to have a shot at lasting.

Quote:
Old Jul 11, 2019, 08:17 PM   #22
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Dunno about NY, but here in MO all a notary does is verify that someone signing a document is who they say they are. No biggie unless your boss wants to make you an accomplice to some forgery.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 08:39 AM   #23
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

hey i treat my employees good
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote