Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:01 PM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
It could be a big difference. The right wing can make a HUGE difference on the track when you're at speed. That was definitely proven with the Koenigsegg CCX. I'm interested in what the difference is, I only wish I were more into the R8. I've actually never been a fan of the car.

Well,the main effect of the wing is for downforce,wich is only needed in cornering anyhow,and comes at the expense of extra drag,wich affects acceleration and top speeds,even if the car has a 600HP engine,so the usefulness of said large wing will depend a lot on the layout of the track itself...

The track needs a lot of fast corners where the downforce from the wing kicks in to allow higher speeds thru those parts,even if speeds on the straight lines are affected,so i'm not an automatic fan of using the largest possible wing on a car no matter what the circumstances,at least not on aa regular road..
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:20 PM   #302
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Well,the main effect of the wing is for downforce,wich is only needed in cornering anyhow,and comes at the expense of extra drag,wich affects acceleration and top speeds,even if the car has a 600HP engine,so the usefulness of said large wing will depend a lot on the layout of the track itself...

The track needs a lot of fast corners where the downforce from the wing kicks in to allow higher speeds thru those parts,even if speeds on the straight lines are affected,so i'm not an automatic fan of using the largest possible wing on a car no matter what the circumstances,at least not on aa regular road..
A lot of what you just said is pretty basic, common knowledge. I normally take it for granted that people understand basic racing physics and track behavior. I feel like you're trying to be a bit condescending here.

I maintain my position, I'd love to see track results between the two cars. It would definitely be interesting.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:27 PM   #303
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
A lot of what you just said is pretty basic, common knowledge. I normally take it for granted that people understand basic racing physics and track behavior. I feel like you're trying to be a bit condescending here.

I maintain my position, I'd love to see track results between the two cars. It would definitely be interesting.

It wasn't my intention at all,but something i mentioned based on having seen a fair amount of cars on the road over the years,mainly driven by young people,with what can only be described as serious overkill in terms of aerodynamic downforce here,not to mention hideous looking while i'm at it....

As for the track time comparisons,it also depends a lot on the track itself....One might be faster than the other with a given track configuration,and slower with a track that has fewer corners and more straight lines,so even there it works on a case by case basis....
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:29 PM   #304
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
As for the track time comparisons,it also depends a lot on the track itself....One might be faster than the other with a given track configuration,and slower with a track that has fewer corners and more straight lines,so even there it works on a case by case basis....
True. Definitely the case if it's only a minor 80HP bump over the regular R8. If it's a track with a lot of straights and high speeds, there is no way that extra 80hp is going to overcome the extra drag from the spoiler and other bits.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:43 PM   #305
shadow001

Quote:
True. Definitely the case if it's only a minor 80HP bump over the regular R8. If it's a track with a lot of straights and high speeds, there is no way that extra 80hp is going to overcome the extra drag from the spoiler and other bits.

As an example,there's the lamborghini Miurcelago SV,wich has a 670HP 6.5 liter V12 engine,and one of the options that the owner can choose from is a larger rear wing that can help with high speed corners,but that large wing in the back also drops top speeds from 212Mph to 206Mph and also affects quarter mile times too...

That particular wing on the lambo is still smaller than what comes with the razor incidendently,and i'm not even considering all the other bits such as the revised extractor and naca ducts,front lower lip and larger openings for the cooling on the razor,so i can only imagine how much harder will the top speed get cut on the razor,given that the engine has less power to boot...It gives the impression that it's set up as a track car first and foremost,and the track in question has to have a lot of turns,so not a drag strip,or an oval,but a proper road course....
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:37 PM   #306
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:24 PM   #307
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:37 PM   #308
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What is that minivan thing doing in there?
lighting up the dark.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:15 PM   #309
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It's fancy.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:58 PM   #310
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

who knows...it's really quite amazing when you consider each of those exotics costs over a million. (300% tax on cars)
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:36 AM   #311
aRandomRobot
Coffee Adict

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

How's this for random?

aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:36 AM   #312
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Needs more wheels!

Is it bad that I've seen that anime?

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:01 PM   #313
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Looks like a cheshire cat.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:41 AM   #314
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Was on my way to work this morning and noticed this dudes lic plate... hard to see, sorry, I didnt have much time to set. His plate, Blu Bals... now, IMO i interpret blue balls as being a loser, meaning, being played with but she doesnt finish you off or you cant finish the deal. Why would someone want that as a plate?!

**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:36 AM   #315
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Its a blue Camaro. Maybe they are just trying to say they have a badass car, you know car with a lot of 'balls'.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:05 PM   #316
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Could be they never get to unleash it, driving it sensibly and considerately so the car is frustrated it never gets to 'finish'
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:22 PM   #317
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

While there may be a few things that make sense for that plate, can't help but chuckle a bit when I see it and think there is an unfortunate driver behind the wheel.

Considering it's alternate meaning to whatever it probably implies...I can't believe anyone would actually use that.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:27 PM   #318
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

I guess he's trying to be witty but IMO its so darn stupid.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Apr 3, 2011 at 01:51 AM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:14 PM   #319
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Car show shaping up outside of the bar I'm watching the Stars game at.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:54 PM   #320
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Better shot, sick z06.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:52 PM   #321
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Looks like a Corvette meet N greet. YUCK!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:21 PM   #322
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Looks like a Corvette meet N greet. YUCK!
That was just that row, the rest of the parking lot was Dodge/Chevy/Ford. Lots of American muscle.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:36 PM   #323
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
That was just that row, the rest of the parking lot was Dodge/Chevy/Ford. Lots of American muscle.
Well, that's not so bad then. All Corvette meets are bloody freakin boring. I avoid them like the plague.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:33 AM   #324
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Well, that's not so bad then. All Corvette meets are bloody freakin boring. I avoid them like the plague.
Literally the only one worth photographing was the z06.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:53 AM   #325
ScottDoom
It's Okay

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
lighting up the dark.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 03:29 AM   #326
Elysian
SCAATSJW

eww
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:44 AM   #327
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Looks like a pic from GT5 photo mode, heh.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:58 PM   #328
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Went to Lowes today and saw this

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 03:06 PM   #329
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Parked like a true dickhead.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 03:38 PM   #330
Elysian
SCAATSJW

He needs wider wheels, the back wheels look retarded tucked in the wheel well like that...