Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:52 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Really nice option for older cards and gamers that do not desire to go Sli the conventional way or desire budget PhysX.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=594&pgno=5
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:22 PM   #32
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A short video from one of the developers of Sacred2 and discusses PhysX and the added effects in the title towards the end:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_sacred2_videos.html
Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:17 PM   #33
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I was just beginning to enjoy PhysX support in games when I got this Radeon.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:41 PM   #34
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

You know what would be cool Pauly? Everytime you or someone sees that a game works with GPU PhysX throw a heads-up in this thread. I'm on a PhysX tear recently and am trying to see it in action as much as possible with my own two eyes. I wonder how it would be possible to see if it's actually working?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:43 PM   #35
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
There is going to be a second power pack coming some-time this month as well.
Has this come out or has any more news regarding this come to light? Anyone know what's gonna be included?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:06 PM   #36
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

You seem to be a busy beaver as of late trying to get some PhysX treats/info, hehe!

I'm trying Joker but there isn't much information as of late. Look everyday with my key word searches to find new info, sorry!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:41 AM   #37
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

A new interview:

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008...pc-game-sales/

Touches on a solid numbers of subjects and a good read!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:46 AM   #38
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Found this article about PhysX at X-bit Labs:

Quote:
Nvidia Expects Improved Physics Effects to Dramatically Popularize Video Games on PC.

Nvidia Considers Physics Effects as Another Revolution in Visual Computing
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...s_on_PC. html
Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:16 PM   #39
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

A small article that touches on Graphics Plus( catchy phrase) where PhysX is part of this. The next 6 months I am hoping to see some nicer positives with this feature and just grow from there.

This is a quote from the article:

Quote:
Serge responded by saying that they know what’s coming out in the next six months and that by the time we meet next, both PhysX and CUDA would have made a big impact.
We shall see. It needs a good kick so gamers may take more notice. The potential is raw and exciting and good to see but examples are needed.

http://www.tbreak.com/articles/4/1/n...iew/Page1.html
Old Oct 31, 2008, 06:02 PM   #40
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Has this come out or has any more news regarding this come to light? Anyone know what's gonna be included?

The only thing I know about this was included in this PR from nVidia:

Quote:
The second GeForce Power Pack consisting of additional game levels, videos, and demos from a variety of games and applications is expected to be released in October 2008.
http://www.iminers.com/render.php?ei...dule=pressroom
Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:03 PM   #41
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is a small interview with Manju Hegde and Curtis Davis from PCGH:

http://209.85.171.104/translate_c?hl...0mNWpDQc2o7-8Q

Touches on PhysX APEX and scalability over-all and other subjects.

Manju Hegde was the former CEO of Ageia and Curtis Davis with the former President/COO of Ageia and now VP's with nVidia.

Here is a small article with Manju Hegde and Curtis Davis in a round table discussion so-to-speak:

http://custompc.co.uk/blogs/fromthel...x-with-nvidia/

Quote:
Nvidia (or anyone for that matter) plugging game physics is nothing new, but what really stood out at this session was how adamant the chaps were that PhysX was genuinely Über and not just a marketing ploy. Taking lead in the Q and A session, Manju Hedge was a force to be reckoned with; his confidence in PhysX almost enough to wash away the obvious scepticism shown by the journos at the small table. Furthermore, it would seem that these two top PhysX guys have transferred their optimism to the game developers. “We have an incredible amount of games on the way that will support PhysX’ stated Manju, ‘the majority of top developers are very keen to work with us’.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 02:57 PM   #42
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That's all well and good, but nVidia needs to bring rigid body acceleration to the GPU as well as cloth and fluids; destructible environments and interactive play will be greatly improved by taking that load away from the CPU and placing it on a dedicated processing environment.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:03 PM   #43
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I don't disagree and rigid bodies are important.

The CEO touched on Physx in the conference call and basically offered about more titles will be named in the near term -- which is good.

What I would like to learn more about is the scalable aspect of PhysX and, of course, Physx examples over-all. Talk is great; potential is great but examples to utilize PhySX is needed to showcase this talk and potential, imho!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:34 AM   #44
Zogrim
Dynamic Eye

Zogrim is still being judged by the masses

Look's like Nvidia is ready to show some PhysX in AAA titles
check out Mirrors Edge trailer with hardware effects
http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1227078291811.html
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:54 AM   #45
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Faith’s world in Mirror’s Edge is visceral, immediate, and very dangerous; it is imperative that the gameplay reflect this level of urgency,” said Owen O’Brien, Senior Producer at DICE. “NVIDIA PhysX technology affords us the ability to bring a totally new level of immersion to the game, and by doing so, gamers can truly become part of the world.”
Nice to see some news and another nice title offering PhysX.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1227078291811.html

Quote:
With the NVIDIA PhysX physics engine, the world of Mirror’s Edge comes to life with real affects of wind, weapons impact, and in-game movements. Every-day objects within the game become part of the overall experience. Cloth, flags, and banners can now impact weapons and players; ground fog interacts with the player’s footsteps; explosions fill the air with smoke and debris; and weapon impacts are enhanced with interactive particles.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 02:03 PM   #46
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is another quick link to a quick video of the PhysX Effects in Mirror's edge -- pretty cool.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15918
Old Nov 19, 2008, 02:40 PM   #47
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

LOL! Just realized Zogrim offered the same link as me...........how the hell did I miss that, hehe! Thanks Zogrim! Enjoy that PhysX site in your signature!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:24 PM   #48
Zogrim
Dynamic Eye

Well, I've posted it some time ago, but the post just wasn't shown.. somehow

Now, I hope thats Mirror's Edge video was the first swallow, an we will see PhysX revealed in all that 50 games Roy Taylor was talking at Nvision)
Old Nov 19, 2008, 04:01 PM   #49
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Being your first post there is some time before the post is allowed or something to that effect -- that explains it!

Hopefully this title starts to get the ball rolling on those 50 titles -- enjoyed the video.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:53 AM   #50
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

PhysX future starts with Mirror's edge

Quote:
The game should provide you with a dramatic physics experience and some new features, including glass which will be able to hurt your opponents after you shatter it. This was described to us as the glass scene in Die Hard 1, and if you've seen it, you would know what we are talking about.

Apart of shooting glass we've seen some screenshots with realistic steam and cloth, all powered by PhysX,
Nice to see a nice step towards GPU PhysX.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...10562&Itemid=1
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:14 AM   #51
HonestJohn
More Brains

HonestJohn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
PhysX future starts with Mirror's edge

Nice to see a nice step towards GPU PhysX.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...10562&Itemid=1
You beat me to it. Just saw the Trailer link over on Guru3D and was about to post that too. I think we need to change your username to SirPhysX.

PCI/AGP

Diamond Stealth 64
Matrox Mystique 3D
STB Velocity 128
Diamond Viper II Savage 2000
Diamond Viper V550
Creative Labs TNT2
Hercules Stingray 128 3D / 3DFX Voodoo Rush
Creative Labs Geforce 256
Hercules 3D Prophet (Geforce 3)
Creative Annihilator Geforce 2 GTS
PNY Geforce 3
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
EVGA FX 5900 Ultra 256MB
ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB
EVGA 6800GT 256MB
ATI Radeon X800XT-PE 256MB
ATI Radeon X850XT-PE 256MB
Visiontek X1950 Pro 256MB
Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB
HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB
Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ Golden Sample GLH Edition
Gecube TEC X1950XT 256MB
XFX 7950 GT 512MB

PCI-E

MSI HD 2900XT 512MB
EVGA SC 8800GT 512MB
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB
HIS HD 4870 512MB
Diamond XOC HD 4870 512MB Black Edition
EVGA GTX 260 SC Core 216 896MB
XFX GTX 285 1GB
XFX HD 5750 1GB
MSI HD 5770 Hawk Twin Frozr 1GB
MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II 1280MB
Gigabyte HD 7950 Windforce 3GB

Temporary Cards Used Between Upgrades

Rage 128 Pro - PCI
FX 5200 - AGP
7300 LE - PCI-E

HonestJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:51 AM   #52
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SirPhysX Mode

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3462&p=3

Let's Talk about PhysX Baby

Mirror's Edge: The First Title to Impress us with GPU PhysX?

Quote:
to under line the differences between the PhysX and non-PhysX version, here's what to look for: glass fragments are a particle system without PhysX and persistent objects with (meaning they stick around and can be interacted with). Glass fragments are also smaller and more abundant with PhysX. Cloth is non-interactive and can't be ripped torn or shot through without PhysX (it will either not there at all or it won't respond to interaction). Some of the things not shown really clearly are that smoke responds to and interacts with characters and leaves and trash will blow around to help portray wind and in response to helicopters.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:20 PM   #53
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

nVidia updated their Graphics Plus ( real catchy name; i like it, hehe) materiel on their site -- it gets ya all excited; the marketing bastards, hehe!

http://www.nvidia.com/content/graphi.../us/index.html

Going to share this in the 3d Stereo thread as well.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:18 PM   #54
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Found this chat log with nVidia, EA and some gamers; touches on PhysX:

http://www1.on-mirrors-edge.com/CHATLOG.txt
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:45 PM   #55
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I've been digging through the links and info in this thread, but not sure yet if this was answered...

I'm curious to hear how PhysX works with 3 cards installed. What I am wondering, if possible, is if I could use my two GTX260's in SLI and then add a 3rd video card dedicated to PhysX (possibly grabbing an 8800GTS/GTX crazy cheap).

I don't want to lose the benefit of SLI performance by dedicated one of my two cards for a PhysX board, and I have the capability to add a 3rd card.

1. Is this possible?
2. Is there enough performance potential to justify DOING (nothing the expense) it?
3. Would I see any gains in games that are currently out (Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Crysis, etc...)?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:19 PM   #56
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I don't know but based on this official Graph from nVidia, I don't think so at this time.

http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_cuda_learn.html

I'll do some digging to see if I can find anyone that did though.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:30 PM   #57
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Based on information from Fudzilla that there may be a separate option for Sli+PhysX and Tri-Sli+PhysX moving forward, maybe, if i am reading this correctly or if this information can be trusted at all.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=9660&Itemid=1

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...9893&Itemid=65

It would makes sense moving forward. Will do some more digging.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:58 AM   #58
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I've been digging through the links and info in this thread, but not sure yet if this was answered...

I'm curious to hear how PhysX works with 3 cards installed. What I am wondering, if possible, is if I could use my two GTX260's in SLI and then add a 3rd video card dedicated to PhysX (possibly grabbing an 8800GTS/GTX crazy cheap).

I don't want to lose the benefit of SLI performance by dedicated one of my two cards for a PhysX board, and I have the capability to add a 3rd card.

1. Is this possible?
2. Is there enough performance potential to justify DOING (nothing the expense) it?
3. Would I see any gains in games that are currently out (Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Crysis, etc...)?
SLI and PhysX both work at the same time (last I heard anyway, I know both are enabled on mine), so why not do it that way.

I doubt the performance hit would be that big especially with 2 cards doing it.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:11 PM   #59
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I wonder what the hold up is with the second power pack that was mentioned in this PR from nVidia?

Quote:
The second GeForce Power Pack consisting of additional game levels, videos, and demos from a variety of games and applications is expected to be released in October 2008.
http://www.gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=12914
Old Dec 2, 2008, 04:25 AM   #60
Zogrim
Dynamic Eye