Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Default Nexus 10:The lighter, faster, thinner, higher PPI, higher res and cheaper tablet

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/n...etition-fight/

Pretty amazing what they did with the Nexus 10.

If only MS had given Surface this kind of hardware.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

I agree on the hardware side of things. Software on the other hand isn't even close.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The screen: incredible.
The design: the most horrible thing I've seen in my life.
The price: pretty damn good.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So awesome for $400. I will definitely consider one of these for Christmas. Also (not in the article), it appears the Nexus 10 will have GPS.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:16 PM   #5
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Overall, Surface is still the better Tablet. Modern UI is a great tablet interface, better than Android. Specs don't matter anymore.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Overall, Surface is still the better Tablet. Modern UI is a great tablet interface, better than Android. Specs don't matter anymore.
I'm inclined to agree with that, but still....2500x1600...whoa.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I see they learned from their mistake with the Nexus 7 and included a rear camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:45 PM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I agree on the hardware side of things. Software on the other hand isn't even close.
I love Android on my phone but don't think they really have the software to make full use of the Nexus 10 hardware. Makes me kind of sad. Depending on what you want, iOS is a little better in this regard but full MS Office makes Windows RT the winner for me. If I were to buy another tablet, it would almost certainly be a Win RT tablet, though that isn't likely either right now.

There is a really cool interface app for my Canon SLR that is not available on iOS. Not something I would bother to run on a tablet. Perfect for using with an old phone though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
The screen: incredible.
The design: the most horrible thing I've seen in my life.
The price: pretty damn good.
I like the design alright, would have to hold it in my hands to really judge. I think they were looking for a shape that would differentiate it from the ipad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
So awesome for $400. I will definitely consider one of these for Christmas. Also (not in the article), it appears the Nexus 10 will have GPS.
That is cool.

Quote:
I agree with the first half and disagree with the second half. There is software not currently available on these systems in part because of hardware limitations. Mathematicha is one I would like to see. My artist room mate would like to see some solid content creation type software. Programs like ArtRage still lag on current hardware and there isn't anything close to photoshop. At least pressure sensitive pens are starting to become available. I am hoping the Win8 eco system will lead towards some more serious tablet apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I see they learned from their mistake with the Nexus 7 and included a rear camera.
Camera or no camera doesn't bother me hardly at all. I can always take a picture with my phone and it will instantly go to the cloud and be available on my tablet.

Last edited by aviphysics : Oct 29, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Damn I'm turning into a Google fanboy.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder. How would the performance of the two Nexus tablets compare? 2500x1600 seems a lot for a dual-core A15 to handle.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:00 AM   #10
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

The new Nook HD+ is a WAY better deal.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:26 AM   #11
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Price is better and specs are pretty decent, but the Nexus is pretty beastly.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:40 AM   #12
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yeah it is, but for the money I think you could do almost as much for less cash with a Nook HD+. It has a 1.5GHZ dual core and 1GB memory... not bad for $269.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:41 AM   #13
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Yeah it is, but for the money I think you could do almost as much for less cash with a Nook HD+. It has a 1.5GHZ dual core and 1GB memory... not bad for $269.
Agreed, I don't really find the price all that amazing.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:52 AM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

The screen, processor, GPU are much better. They are finally using A15 ARM in a tablet. It will be really fast, much faster than the Nook HD+. It will not even be close. the CPU and GPU between the two is miles apart. Read up on the Exynos 5 Dual. That CPU has USB 3.0 and SATA 3. I would like to see this SOC in some convertible laptops.

It's probably worth $150 more. Because it's a Nexus it will be well supported. Amazon vs B&N is one thing but Nexus vs B&N is much different.

Not supporting SD card sucks but I'll probably buy one when there is a sale for $350 (or $299 like I did with my TF101).
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:12 AM   #15
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
The hardware on both are on way different leagues man
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:27 AM   #16
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Impressive pricing! This is what Surface RT should've been. Pretty hard to not at least take a look at this.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:00 PM   #17
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Impressive pricing! This is what Surface RT should've been. Pretty hard to not at least take a look at this.
Surface doesn't really need to attract customers with low pricing. It's a fantastic tablet and priced appropriately.

Looking forward to some 2560x1600 upscaled phone Apps on the Nexus though
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:31 PM   #18
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Surface doesn't really need to attract customers with low pricing. It's a fantastic tablet and priced appropriately.

To be fair, the extra resolution is still useful for content viewing like web surfing and digital magazines.

Would be really nice to have some good Android content creation software though.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:19 PM   #19
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
Would be really nice to have some good Android content creation software though.
This is what is really keeping me from leaning either W8/iPad.

I just haven't seen to many 'stellar' looking games for the Android os, sure the Racing games look great like Asphalt and such, but a lot of the other FPS and other games are really few and far between.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:36 PM   #20
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovster View Post
This is what is really keeping me from leaning either W8/iPad.

I just haven't seen to many 'stellar' looking games for the Android os, sure the Racing games look great like Asphalt and such, but a lot of the other FPS and other games are really few and far between.
content creation != games
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:58 AM   #21
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Is it just me or do you like running around kicking people in the nuts just for the sake of being "against"? Because the sounds around the web were 180 degrees opposit to what you just said: Way to pricey for a meh experience.

On a second note, you will need the Surface Pro to be allowed to use it for business CLICK unless you have a office 365 license and it lacks some features which I know a lot of people use when they use their laptop/tablet for biz:
Quote:
Absent features include macros, add-ins, and features that rely on ActiveX controls or third-party code, as well as legacy features such as the ability to play older media formats in PowerPoint RT and edit equations written in Equation Editor 3.0, used in older versions of Office.

Also not included are some email sending features, because Windows RT doesn't use Outlook or other desktop mail applications. Users can send Office content with the OS's native mail application.

In Excel RT, it's not possible to create a data model, although pivot tables, query tables and pivot charts work. Users can't record narrations in PowerPoint RT.

With OneNote RT, users can't search embedded audio/video files, record audio/video notes, nor import from an attached scanner, although it's possible to insert audio/video notes and scanned images from another program, according to Microsoft
I'm not saying it's a bad tablet or OS, just not as holy as you make it out to be.

Last: I rather have the option of using an app scaled to fullscreen than having it running stampsized or not at all.

Last edited by The PyroPath : Oct 31, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
The PyroPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:47 PM   #22
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PyroPath View Post
I'm not saying it's a bad tablet or OS, just not as holy as you make it out to be.

Last: I rather have the option of using an app scaled to fullscreen than having it running stampsized or not at all.
When did I say Surface is "holy"? That's not my opinion at all. But it's definitely not overpriced. Surface RT doesn't need to engage in a price war or attract customers that way. It is good enough to succeed.

About the App scaling: Forcing developers to have different layout files for the iPad is a good thing. That way, the developers have to start fresh for the tablet and might come up with a great interface, which wouldn't really work on a phone.
Allowing the phone UI to scale up leaves the "easy way out" open to the developer and most of them are fine with that apparently.
This is similar to the "desktop is still there for Office" dilemma on Windows RT. It's the easy way out and not done properly.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:22 PM   #23
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

The Nexus 10 looks awesome... DAT SCREEN.. combined with the price. Ive been mulling over getting a tablet so my GF can browse in bed and this might be the one in regards to price performance.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:20 PM   #24
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Allowing the phone UI to scale up leaves the "easy way out" open to the developer and most of them are fine with that apparently.
This is similar to the "desktop is still there for Office" dilemma on Windows RT. It's the easy way out and not done properly.
Yes. It provides compatibility. I'd rather have ugly compatibility for my necessary apps. Function is always first over form imo.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:17 AM   #25
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yes. It provides compatibility. I'd rather have ugly compatibility for my necessary apps. Function is always first over form imo.
I can understand that.
Compatibility and compromise. They often go hand in hand but sometimes they're on opposite sides of the table It all depends on how you approach a problem.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:

From engadget:
Quote:
apps, including third-party browsers like Dolphin, and we didn't spot a hint of blurry text.

Remember when the new iPad shipped and everyone was scrambling to update their apps to support it? There's no need here. The way Android is structured, apps just natively support the higher resolution. We tried dozens of apps, including third-party browsers like Dolphin and lots of different random utilities and games, and we didn't spot a hint of blurry text.

Of course, some feature graphics and assets that could use a higher degree of polish now that they're being consumed at such a preposterous resolution, and those with less than 20/20 vision may be squinting at some occasionally tiny text, but on average it's a big step above the blurry messes that many tablet apps were on the Retina iPad when it first launched

Seems it handles upscaling quite well actually.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #27
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
From engadget:

Seems it handles upscaling quite well actually.
I've never excepted issues with blurry text thanks to Android's mechanisms.
What I meant was phone layouts upscaled for tablets.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:17 PM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Well, the Nexus 10 was compelling because of the screen, but having read the Engadget review, no thanks. Limited storage and poor contrast on the screen means no way. Battery life sucks too. Nexus line is dead to me until they bring back the expandable storage.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:58 PM   #29
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

skimmed through the engadget review
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-10-review/

Anandtech and Mobiletechreview are the sites I would prefer to see reviews from. Engadget doesn't do the most thorough or accurate reviews IMO. They are more focused on getting it out the door ASAP.

Last edited by aviphysics : Nov 2, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:07 PM   #30
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
skimmed through the engadget review
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-10-review/

Anandtech and Mobiletechreview are the sites I would prefer to see reviews from. Engadget doesn't do the most thorough or accurate reviews IMO. They are more focused on getting it out the door ASAP.
There is a performance preview up at Anand: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/g...exus-10-review