Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 26, 2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thumbs down Foxconn factory, maker of Apple's Iphone, has suicide rate at 18 attempts per year.

http://micgadget.com/3793/the-real-t...icide-cluster/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...tPcFPwKf6zDoCA

Foxconn is the primary manufacturer of Apple's Iphone.

There had been 9 confirmed suicide attempts in the past 6 months, with 7 deaths. I guess Foxconn pay their 400,000 workers nothing and forced them to work like slaves. They also have this huge, in Chinese pay rate standards, lump sum payment of around $40,000 USD to family members on these suicides. So that further encourages it.

Hours after their boss apologized another young man jumped to his death this morning, raising the attempts to 10 over the past 6 months.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...nt_9897080.htm

Conclusion: Don't buy Apple and Foxconn products. Their products are built upon the blood of their workers.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa

Last edited by CHIPS : May 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:07 PM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Apple pays foxconn for their product. Its not apples fault how foxconn treats their workers. Im sure foxconn makes stuff for other companies.

Unless Apple owns foxconn, then my point is invalid.

Edit: Doesnt look like Apple owns foxconn. Foxconn also manufactures things for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo... blame them as well lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Among other things, Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod, the iPad, and the iPhone for Apple Inc.; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer manufacturers Dell and Hewlett-Packard; motherboards for UK computer manufacturer Zoostorm; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo; the Xbox 360 for Microsoft, cell phones for Motorola, the Amazon Kindle, and Cisco equipment.

Last edited by logical : May 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:13 PM   #3
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

as said in every other thread about this on rage, it is in line with the Chinese national average (they have a metric ton of employees, so 18 isnt that many in comparison.

Last edited by sittal : May 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarified what country
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 26, 2010, 10:21 PM   #4
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittal View Post
as said in every other thread about this on rage, it is in line with the national average (they have a metric ton of employees, so 18 isnt that many in comparison.
It does seem rather small. I mean 9 suicides with 400,000 employees? That's a suicide rate of what, .0023% in 6 months? In the U.S. alone we average roughly 10 teen suicides per 100,000 teens in a year.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:24 PM   #5
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I think its hypocritical that uber-liberaly Apple outsources their production at all. They like to look all green and nice, but they make their crap at sweatshops in China just like everyone else.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Farmer_BOB
Radeon Northern Islands

Farmer_BOB is still being judged by the masses

Another bash Apple thread and this time let's blame them because a company they don't own, but work with has management problems. Some of the things people come up with to blame or bash Apple is just dumb. This is a perfect example.
Farmer_BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:35 PM   #7
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

Blame America for outsourcing to China so readily.

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

They do more than just iPhones. They produce for Lenovo, HP, Nintendo, EMachines, and a bunch of other brands.

If you boycott Foxconn, you might have to change your brand for basically every kind of computer electronic you use.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:50 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
I think its hypocritical that uber-liberaly Apple outsources their production at all. They like to look all green and nice, but they make their crap at sweatshops in China just like everyone else.
Sweatshops? China?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 12:00 AM   #10
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRPI2712 View Post
Blame America for outsourcing to China so readily.
Yeah that too. But the only reason its worse here is how Apple likes to act "above" it. They clearly are not.

I bought a G5 once from them. It showed up with a Made In China sticker, a wobbly leg and the stink of little children's tears... so I returned it for a non-defective one and it showed up working perfect and had a Made In California stamp on it. True story.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old May 27, 2010, 12:36 AM   #11
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post

There had been 9 confirmed suicide attempts in the past 6 months, with 7 deaths. I guess Foxconn pay their 400,000 workers nothing and forced them to work like slaves. They also have this huge, in Chinese pay rate standards, lump sum payment of around $40,000 USD to family members on these suicides. So that further encourages it.

Hours after their boss apologized another young man jumped to his death this morning, raising the attempts to 10 over the past 6 months.

Conclusion: Don't buy Apple and Foxconn products. Their products are built upon the blood of their workers.
LOL what a stupid conclusion. HP Dell both use foxconn as their major producer. Same does a lot of hardware manufacturers.

The ONLY reason this is news is because Apple is mentioned. That is the only reason you even know about it. If it was HP, Dell, nobody would've cared.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 12:38 AM   #12
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Yeah that too. But the only reason its worse here is how Apple likes to act "above" it. They clearly are not.

I bought a G5 once from them. It showed up with a Made In China sticker, a wobbly leg and the stink of little children's tears... so I returned it for a non-defective one and it showed up working perfect and had a Made In California stamp on it. True story.
I didn't know they had a factory in California. Could be just your own prejudice. Smells of Childrens tears? LOL. You mean that factory fresh smell every Apple product has?

It's always been "designed in California, made in China"

Maybe you didn't read the second part.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 02:09 AM   #13
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

No, it was actually made in the US of A. I was kind of shocked at the time too. But low and behold it wasn't defective like the Chinese one.

Old May 27, 2010, 02:46 AM   #14
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I make iStuff, FML
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 12:47 PM   #15
0mar
Sturmbannführer

0mar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post

Just the cost of doing business.

If you truly knew how much suffering goes into each and every product you buy, you'd never consume again. That shirt? Sewn by people crammed 50 to a room, sewing for 14 hours a day for pennies a week. Any fruit/vegetable? Picked by illegal immigrants working 16 hour days for dollars a week. etc etc
"You think yer smart? Think you can outsmart a bullet?"
"Americans will pay big bucks for horny goat weed, but won't pay for an aortic aneurysm to be fixed."
0mar is offline   Reply With Quote