Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

Ryoko is still being judged by the masses

Default gpu console client expired? [yes] - UPDATED CLIENT NOW AVAILABLE

my GPU console folding client died and will not restart due to passing the oct 02 deadline. when i download a new client from stanford, the new one says the same thing. wtf?
Ryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

tried running the gui client. it didn't give me the expired notification, but it wasn't doing ANY work. in fact, it slowed my computer down to a standstill.

looks like i won't be folding with this computer until a new GPU console client becomes available to download...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:08 AM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Hey Ryoko.

I just tried the updated GPU client and its working fine here. Here's what I'd try (probably lots of extra steps ... but that's me ):
  • Run the existing client and remove service if you're running as a service.
  • Copy the work folder and queue.dat to a backup folder (only if you have an existing WU in process that you want to save).
  • Delete everything from your WinGPU (or whatever its called) directory.
  • Download the new GPU console client and copy it into the WinGPU directory. Run it w/ the -configonly flag and configure per your specs (remember to change username to '7up1n3' ).
  • If you backed up your existing data, copy the work folder and queue.dat back into the directory.

For flags, I always use '-local -verbosity 9' and recommend adding them to your config (via registry if you're running as a service, via shortcut if you're using command line).
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:13 AM   #4
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Hey Ryoko.

I just tried the updated GPU client and its working fine here. Here's what I'd try (probably lots of extra steps ... but that's me ):
  • Run the existing client and remove service if you're running as a service.
  • Copy the work folder and queue.dat to a backup folder (only if you have an existing WU in process that you want to save).
  • Delete everything from your WinGPU (or whatever its called) directory.
  • Download the new GPU console client and copy it into the WinGPU directory. Run it w/ the -configonly flag and configure per your specs (remember to change username to '7up1n3' ).
  • If you backed up your existing data, copy the work folder and queue.dat back into the directory.

For flags, I always use '-local -verbosity 9' and recommend adding them to your config (via registry if you're running as a service, via shortcut if you're using command line).
it won't run in configonly. in fact, it won't run at all.

several threads have been posted on the folding community forum about this, and the only answer given is to use the gui client - which doesn't work for me

[edit]

http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic21401.html

http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic21400.html

Last edited by Ryoko : Oct 2, 2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Yeah. Just went back and looked. It worked for me because the expiration is Tuesday, and it's still Monday here.

For some reason, beta5 is still listed on the download page. The one w/ the updated expiration date is beta6.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:21 AM   #6
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

Quote:
Yeah. Just went back and looked. It worked for me because the expiration is Tuesday, and it's still Monday here.

For some reason, beta5 is still listed on the download page. The one w/ the updated expiration date is beta6.
well, as a stopgap, i set the date on my computer to oct 1st, and it's working fine.

i hope i at least get this WU to turn in...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:33 AM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

I just thought of that too and came back upstairs to post that changing your date would probably work. And AFAIK you're fine unless you stop an expired client, so you can probably change the date right back, just resetting it to pre-expiration date anytime you need to restart the client.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:24 AM   #8
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

Quote:

I just thought of that too and came back upstairs to post that changing your date would probably work. And AFAIK you're fine unless you stop an expired client, so you can probably change the date right back, just resetting it to pre-expiration date anytime you need to restart the client.
that would work in theory

until the 6th rolled around, and the 6 day deadline would make the unit expire on the 7th...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Lupine
Administrator

IDK Ryoko, perhaps I'll test the theory. My understanding is that, if you never stop the client, you can run an expired client indefinitely.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:34 AM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you had a indefinate WU, yes.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasson
Our apologies for the gap in coverage; the GPU development team should have a new version available within the next day.

As noted above, there's a GPU GUI client available in the meantime.
http://forum.folding-community.org/f...39.html#200539
Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:29 PM   #12
7 i m
Radeon R100

7 i m is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
IDK Ryoko, perhaps I'll test the theory. My understanding is that, if you never stop the client, you can run an expired client indefinitely.

Correct. Expired clients will continue to run and download new work units indefinitely (at least until that version of the client is no longer supported which is usually several years.) Expiration will not cause the client to stop running.

An expired client simply won't start again after the expiration date.

Note: However, if you set your system clock back to before the expiration date, you can start the client again. But be aware that if your system clock is set forward again, it might cause the work unit to expire. This trick only works for a few days, as the GPU WUs have short expiration dates. But this should be long enough for Stanford to upload the updated client.

Or run the GPU GUI, which has already been udpated.
7 i m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 i m View Post
Note: However, if you set your system clock back to before the expiration date, you can start the client again. But be aware that if your system clock is set forward again, it might cause the work unit to expire. This trick only works for a few days, as the GPU WUs have short expiration dates. But this should be long enough for Stanford to upload the updated client.
Yikes, didn't think about that part of the equation. Thanks 7im.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

well, it looks like the beta6 client has not yet been uploaded. i hope this is remedied soon

not that i'd want to turn off my computer, but it doesn't feel great knowing that i can't turn it off...

[edit]

or play any games...

Last edited by Ryoko : Oct 5, 2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:02 PM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

They're not happy about the gap in coverage either. Hopefully it'll be ready soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beberg
I'm working on this. Something isn't quite right with the console binaries I'm building. Pleas use the GUI for now if possible.
http://forum.folding-community.org/f...23.html#200823
Old Oct 9, 2007, 05:55 PM   #16
7 i m
Radeon R100

7 i m is still being judged by the masses

GPU console client with extended expiration date is now available for download. v5.x still and expires 2008 02 02.
7 i m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 06:00 PM   #17
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
GPU console client with extended expiration date is now available for download. v5.x still and expires 2008 02 02.
Thank you 7im.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 06:44 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Not HD2900? Not Interested.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 07:14 PM   #19
Ryoko
Excessively retarded

Quote:
thank you so much

you are a great help to us, even if you do fold for another team