Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Bladedog is still being judged by the masses

Default New PC with 4Gb RAM - Have I missed something?

Ok, system specs as per the button (Asus P5B-E + E6600 + 4 x 1Gb Corsair + XP/Vista dual boot for those with an aversion to button pushing ).

Problem is that the BIOS reports 3Gb RAM, XP reports 3Gb RAM (I expected it to), Vista(64) reports 3Gb RAM, but CPU-Z running under Vista reports 4Gb RAM with all 4 slots filled.

I checked, removed and reseated all 4 sticks with no change.

Runs like a dream in both XP and Vista, but if I paid for 4Gb it I'd rather be benefiting from it.

Any ideas?
Bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:41 AM   #2
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

XP 32 bit doesn't work properly with 4gb but vista should.

tried updating the bios?
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
tried updating the bios?
No but thats a good idea. I'll hunt on the ASUS website now.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
XP 32 bit doesn't work properly with 4gb but vista should.

tried updating the bios?
Negative.

No 32bit OS will show the full 4gb...that includes vista. It still allocates about 1gb for the system. You are out of luck until you upgrade to a 64bit OS. Sorry.
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:55 AM   #5
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas420221 View Post
Negative.

No 32bit OS will show the full 4gb...that includes vista. It still allocates about 1gb for the system. You are out of luck until you upgrade to a 64bit OS. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladedog View Post
Vista(64) reports 3Gb RAM
I got Vista x64. I just checked the ASUS BIOS download page and there is one from January that quotes support for 4xDIMM. I'd be suprised to find my BIOS is that old, I only bought the motherboard in August, but until I get home I won't know for sure.

Thanks for the input guys as always.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Oops... my fault.
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:01 AM   #7
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Make sure you switch to 64bit in the bios. Otherwise the machine will continue not properly allocate that other 1 gig. Check your motherboard manual, I know for a fact you have to do this with Asus boards since I had to toggle that option in the bios for both my P5wh-Dh and my striker.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:48 AM   #8
Ulysses 31
Radeon Northern Islands

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation

you need to enable some memory hole thingy in bios for Windows Vista 64x to take full advantage of the 4GB.
Intel Core i7 6950X @ 4.3Ghz \ 2x GTX 1080 8GB SLI \ 128 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3333 Mhz DDR4 \ Asus Rampage V Edition 10 \ ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q \ Asus Claymore \ SupremeFx \ Logitech Z-5500 5.1 \ 2x Samsung 1TB 2x Samsung 2TB \ In Win D-Frame 2 \ Corsair AX1200 Watt \ Windows 10 Pro x64
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Make sure you switch to 64bit in the bios. Otherwise the machine will continue not properly allocate that other 1 gig. Check your motherboard manual, I know for a fact you have to do this with Asus boards since I had to toggle that option in the bios for both my P5wh-Dh and my striker.
Thanks I'll take a look at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses 31 View Post
you need to enable some memory hole thingy in bios for Windows Vista 64x to take full advantage of the 4GB.
Thanks for your technical description Only kidding, thanks for your input I'll check the thingy out.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:54 AM   #10
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Memory remapping needs to be enabled in teh bios.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:18 PM   #11
oasked
Stuck in the mud

oasked is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yup, this is true. Have a look in the BIOS and see what you find.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 01:30 PM   #12
raymondJohansson

Default Ram and vista

Hey guys,

Vista 32 bit won't recognize 4 gigs of RAM? I'm building a new system using 4 gigs of ram and was wondering.

My question is, will my games and other apps still utilize the full 4 gigs of ram? Or would it just use the 3 and leave the 1 aside for vista functionality? What if someone had 8 gigs of ram? it only uses 7?

Sorry if my questions are dumb, I'm still learning some things. I'm also not very knowledgeable about Vista.

rj

Last edited by raymondJohansson : Sep 11, 2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: adjustment in info
Old Sep 11, 2007, 02:02 PM   #13
ukHazard
Radeon Northern Islands

ukHazard is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondJohansson View Post
Hey guys,

Vista 32 bit won't recognize 4 gigs of RAM? I'm building a new system using 4 gigs of ram and was wondering.

My question is, will my games and other apps still utilize the full 4 gigs of ram? Or would it just use the 3 and leave the 1 aside for vista functionality? What if someone had 8 gigs of ram? it only uses 7?

Sorry if my questions are dumb, I'm still learning some things. I'm also not very knowledgeable about Vista.

rj
Simply put, no 32-bit OS can address that much memory. Anything above the 3.something would be wasted.

It's the mathematical fact of 2 bits (1 or 0) to the power of 32 which is 4,294,967,296 bits total; see http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html for a detailed summary.

Last edited by ukHazard : Sep 11, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
ukHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 03:26 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondJohansson View Post
Hey guys,

rj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukHazard View Post
Simply put, no 32-bit OS can address that much memory. Anything above the 3.something would be wasted.

It's the mathematical fact of 2 bits (1 or 0) to the power of 32 which is 4,294,967,296 bits total; see http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html for a detailed summary.
Like ukHz says, to address more than 4Gb of RAM you need more than 32bits to represent the numbers. Hence 64bit. Most motherboards limit the total lower than that, because they use memory address space as registers for various busses and slots, and so on. Some motherboard have to use the memory address remap to allow 64bit memory addressing, others have 64bit addressing natively and truncate to 32bit automagically whilst removing memory capacity.

Short answer - to use all 4gb you need 64bit Vista. If you're ordering from here then check what media/key you get. On newegg the business upgrade is listed as being both 32 bit and 64 bit.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:29 PM   #15
gramboh
Casual gamer

gramboh is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Thanks I'll take a look at that.

Thanks for your technical description Only kidding, thanks for your input I'll check the thingy out.
For Asus P965 boards (I have a P5B-D), the memory remap feature is (I think) in the Northbridge options where you can set memory timings (or allow them to be set by SPD which is the default).
1x Seagate 7200.11 1TB SATA2 + 1x Hitatchi 5K3000 3TB SATA3 (plus another two of same for offline eSATA backup)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer w/ Klipsch Promedia 4.1 and Sennheiser HD570
Antec P182B - Corsair 520HX PSU

Windows 7 Professional x64
3DMark Vantage: 22045 / 3DMark11: 4314

Netbook: Asus 1015PN (Atom 1.5GHz, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, NVidia ION2, 10in LCD, Windows 7 Starter)
Now Playing - Battlefield 3, Super Meat Boy, The Witcher 2, SHIFT 2 Unleashed, Jamestown, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2
gramboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:41 PM   #16
raymondJohansson

Default Interesting.

Thanks for the information.

I'm picking up the student version http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...&qk_srch=vista of vista. I'm just going to run a 32 bit windows system.

I probably would have been in here asking the same question, "Why are only 3 showing?" so you guys helped! haha.

Take care,
rj
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:46 PM   #17
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Memory remapping needs to be enabled in teh bios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasked View Post
Yup, this is true. Have a look in the BIOS and see what you find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
For Asus P965 boards (I have a P5B-D), the memory remap feature is (I think) in the Northbridge options where you can set memory timings (or allow them to be set by SPD which is the default).
You guys were all right in one way or another. +1 to you all.

I needed to set the Memory Remap Feature in the Northbridge bit of the Advanced BIOS config to Enabled and hey presto 4Gb in Vista. As I understand it I will only see 2Gb in XP now but hey beggars can't be choosers.

Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:16 PM   #18
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 05:34 AM   #19
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just a quick question, I have the same board as you only I don't have a PCI-e video card and I can't get my board to detect more than 3.5 GB, if you have a PCI vid card, do you think you could swap it out for the PCI-e video card and let me know how much ram your board detects?

I starting to hate Asus right now because they have not been able to offer me a viable solution for going on 3 months now.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:32 AM   #20
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

A PCI video card, sorry I haven't had one of those since I trashed an old P166 machine last year, it went on eBay for more than I expected. Even my plodding old P3 server has an AGP card.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:51 AM   #21
MDC
Radeon Northern Islands

Location: United States Center of the Universe, Washington DC
MDC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You guys were all right in one way or another. +1 to you all.

I needed to set the Memory Remap Feature in the Northbridge bit of the Advanced BIOS config to Enabled and hey presto 4Gb in Vista. As I understand it I will only see 2Gb in XP now but hey beggars can't be choosers.

I haven't yet tried 4GB in my Asus P5B Deluxe at home, so I can't say what you should expect on your P5B-E. I do have another similar system at work with 4GB. It has a Gigabyte p965-DS3 with 4x1GB DIMMS and it shows 3.5GB RAM in XP Professional 32-bit. The additional RAM is definitely noticable if I have a lot of programs loaded.

Typically, you will be able to see 3-3.5GB out of 4GB installed RAM depending on which motherboard/BIOS you have.

On the PCI card discussion... I always keep a spare PCI video card around. It works fine in AGP or PCIe systems when troubleshooting (or just haven't received the new video card yet).

Last edited by MDC : Sep 12, 2007 at 08:41 AM.
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote