Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
The Cpt.
iddqd

The Cpt. is still being judged by the masses

Smile FINALLY bought everything

BIOSTAR TF55
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Corsair VX 450w
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro

total $725 around w/ shipping b4 rebates (w/o case and os yet)

will post rig pictures in the sticky post when i get everything setup
thanks for all the help

Btw... the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

xfire
The Cpt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt. View Post
BIOSTAR TF55
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Corsair VX 450w
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro

total $725 around w/ shipping b4 rebates (w/o case and os yet)

will post rig pictures in the sticky post when i get everything setup
thanks for all the help
The Brisbane should OC real nice and the 8800 will definitely give you some kick. Good choice on the TForce board as well. It should be a nice gaming rig.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Now comes the:

1) Anxiety of waiting for Fedex to deliver (What if I am not home!!!)
2) The nervous tension of unpacking
3) The 30 seconds spent reading all manuals
4) The invevitable broken something
5) The initial posting gone bad, very bad
6) The "OMG I am such a farking idiot" moment
7) The soothing sensation of seeing the BIOS screen for the first time.
8) The "Why the fark isn't the progress bar moving while Windows is installing" panic.
9) The anger resulting from not being able to connect to the damn Internet.
10) The driver installs
11) The pure joy of seeing 3DMark 2006 run for the first time
12) The bewilderment and wonder of is my score high enough
13) The excitement of jumping into the BIOS to begin tweaking
14) The utter despair of returning all the way back to step 5) of the procees
SD-[Inc] is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 7, 2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Bladedog is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
Now comes the:

8) The "Why the fark isn't the progress bar moving while Windows is installing" panic.
9) The anger resulting from not being able to connect to the damn Internet.
10) The driver installs
11) The pure joy of seeing 3DMark 2006 run for the first time
12) The bewilderment and wonder of is my score high enough
13) The excitement of jumping into the BIOS to begin tweaking

I usually find that (9) and (6) are linked, in that lack of internet connection is too often linked to forgetting to install the ethernet port driver ( twice in my case, XP and Vista )
Bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:26 PM   #5
The Cpt.
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
Now comes the:

LMAO exactly
you hit the bullseye
unfortuinately i ordered on a thursday night and orders dont ship on weekends so i have to wait for next week before anything.
also i ordered my PSU from buy.com
and that might not get here at the same time

i can see it now..
my entire system setup with everything connected....
except for psu

so
i listened to the pros
crossing my fingers that this setup performs well for me

*pray for no doa etc..*

p.s. look at what i upgraded from in signature and system specs

Btw... the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

xfire
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:49 PM   #6
The Cpt.
iddqd

waiting on psu, case, mounting kit, and thermal paste

btw i ordered TForce550 and they sent me TForce 550 SE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000022&Description=biostar&page=1&srchInDesc=550&bop=And&CompareI temList=N82E16813138026%2CN82E16813138071

Other than the fact that the SE supports 8gb ddr2 i cant seem to find any difference between them other than price.
The only reason this really bothers me is that the board they actually shipped me costs 5 dollars less (i know its not much but its the principle of the matter)
any1 know if theres any other differences btwn these boards by experience?

Quote:
... I ordered the TForce 550, but Newegg sent me this instead. I contacted them about it, and they credited the difference with $3.00 more. Eggcelent service!
Guess im not the first one.. I guess ill try the same.

xfire
Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:52 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The SE doesn't have NvRaid on the IDE/SATA channels. Not a problem if you don't plan on running RAID arrays. My new motherboard doesn't have RAID either; decided not to bother.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:36 AM   #8
raymondJohansson

Default system

Awesome, Capt. Let me know how it goes. Jim, do you like yours? I ordered mine, my snacks are on their way ... probably get them on Monday.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:37 AM   #9
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
The SE doesn't have NvRaid on the IDE/SATA channels. Not a problem if you don't plan on running RAID arrays. My new motherboard doesn't have RAID either; decided not to bother.
Raid is of limited use on a desktop. Server is totally different but on a desktop I've always just used 2 drives and use one of them for just storage of important data. 99% of the time is the drive the OS is installed on that fails or gets corrupted.
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:27 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondJohansson View Post
Awesome, Capt. Let me know how it goes. Jim, do you like yours? I ordered mine, my snacks are on their way ... probably get them on Monday.
Ray, I love it. Motherboard is well laid out and clearly labelled. It's small, too. Can't wait to start trying an OC on it! Just remember, you need to hit Ctrl+F1 at the main bios screen to unlock the advanced optios in the BIOS for voltage and timings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
Raid is of limited use on a desktop. Server is totally different but on a desktop I've always just used 2 drives and use one of them for just storage of important data. 99% of the time is the drive the OS is installed on that fails or gets corrupted.
Raid is of limited use to most people due to the applications they run. For what I plan on doing, it won't be much use, but I might make a server for hosting music and movies later.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Ray, I love it. Motherboard is well laid out and clearly labelled. It's small, too. Can't wait to start trying an OC on it! Just remember, you need to hit Ctrl+F1 at the main bios screen to unlock the advanced optios in the BIOS for voltage and timings.

Raid is of limited use to most people due to the applications they run. For what I plan on doing, it won't be much use, but I might make a server for hosting music and movies later.
You have the DS3L right James? That's basically my board too and it's awesome. I noticed how small it was as well, didn't need to use the row of standoffs I had screwed in farthest to the right for my previous board. I like that cos my new case is alot smaller than my older one and it gave me a little more room. One thing I like about the L version is I think they fixed the wonky IDE socket. On the R it's in an odd place.

I wish the L would have been available when I bought the DS3R cos I don't use RAID on my own PC and it's much cheaper. Oh well, no complaints at all from me on this one, cept the fact that it doesn't have a quad in it... yet .
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 03:32 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Yeah, L it is I'm glad they released it, I was planning on a S3 because of the price, but then the DS3 came down in price and then got replaced by the DS3L. The IDE socket is at the bottom, inboard from the SATA slots. Good job I have nice long rounded IDE cables

Oh, and I do have a quadzor!!!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 03:53 PM   #13
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Oh, and I do have a quadzor!!!

I needs me one tooooo! It'll be at least the end of October before I can even think about it though .

Edit: Is that the cooler I ordered? I used Super Saver shipping so I don't expect it till next week or so.

Edit Edit: Nope it's not
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 04:08 PM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Nah, thats the one I ordered the day before finding the deal on the $1.99 Hyper-TX 2.... oh well, I might use that on my boy's AM2 rig seeing as it's all sockets