Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 6, 2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
warmonger180
Zionist

warmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default what's the best way to setup SATA drives in non raid?

one is a SATA2 320GB, the OS drive, the other isn't. the mobo they'll be plugged into is a A8R32MVP. there isn't much in the manual about non-raided SATA drives

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Franklin

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
warmonger180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:01 AM   #2
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

Make a 4 or 5 Gig partition on the one that isn't OS at the beginning of the drive. Use that for the page file only. (Set it to a fixed amount aswell). This ensures best possible speed of the page file.

Put games on the OS drive, Apps on the other. This way your page file access and game access can happen at the same time. However if app speed is more critical to you swap the apps and the games around.

Use both of your SATA controllers instead of plugging both of them into one.

...and update your sig.

Last edited by bigtabs : Jun 6, 2007 at 08:05 AM.
bigtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:21 AM   #3
warmonger180
Zionist

warmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete stranger

thx, bigtabs. i wasn't thinkin about partitioning, tho i'ld kinda preferr not to, but i'll see how it goes. the non SATA2 sata drive i use for storing various downloads: utilites, drivers, demos, patches and the like rather than apps, of which i have none. strictly games. the sig i'll edit when i'm sure nothing went wrong

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Franklin

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by warmonger180 : Jun 6, 2007 at 08:23 AM.
warmonger180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Not sure if big tabs said all of this but........

1st drive (sata2)= OS/APPS/GAMES
2nd drive= tiny partition (4-8GB) for the pagefile. The rest for redundency/backups/images (drive).

There is no point in putting your apps/games where your page file will reside. Actually thats WORSE.

Regarding using both controllers...thats fine and all but IF he overclocks the other controller/port may not have sata lock.

Also, the only difference between sata and sata2 is bandwidth. Sata doesnt even use 150gb/s bandwidth so sata 2 for now is just a useless name.

Last edited by Jas420221 : Jun 6, 2007 at 09:12 AM.
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:04 AM   #5
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, you could well do games and apps on the one drive, if you have the space for it and can find a use for the remainder of the pagefile drive. Personally I need lots of room for both apps and games.

In your case having the games, apps and OS together will work best as Jas said.

Physical Drive 1 - C: OS + GAMES + APPS

Physical Drive 2 - D: Pagefile
Physical Drive 2 - E: Storage

Partitioning is not a big deal at all, if you don't know how to do it, it's very simple, doesn't require any 3rd party applications and I can tell you how. The point of partitioning is to ensure the page file gets the very beginning of the disk where it's fastest, and stays there. Once you've assigned the pagefile to it you can then proceed to forget about that partition as it will look after itself.

Last edited by bigtabs : Jun 6, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
bigtabs is offline   Reply With Quote