Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Jun 9, 2018, 03:04 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Is this a DNS issue or something else?

I use my ISP's DNS because my Internet is the fastest with it. However, I've noticed some websites don't load correctly in Chrome with this DNS. With my ISP's DNS and Edge, the websites load correctly. Is this a Chrome issue or a DNS issue? If I change my DNS to Google's Public DNS, Chrome starts loading everything correctly but my Internet is a bit slower.

Here is an example of how GameSpot loads with Chrome when on my ISP's DNS:

Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 04:07 PM   #2
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

DNS for sure. The main gamespot website is hosted in Florida, but it's css file is hosted on static.gamespot.com which in the Netherlands via Akamai. Your ISP's DNS either can't resolve or has marked this ip as spam or something.

IMO I would switch to cloudflare DNS of 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 anyway, as it's the future of DNS.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 02:12 AM   #3
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
DNS for sure. The main gamespot website is hosted in Florida, but it's css file is hosted on static.gamespot.com which in the Netherlands via Akamai. Your ISP's DNS either can't resolve or has marked this ip as spam or something.

IMO I would switch to cloudflare DNS of 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 anyway, as it's the future of DNS.
Would you recommend it over OpenDNS? What Pros does cloudflare have verse OpenDNS?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 10, 2018, 05:00 AM   #4
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Would you recommend it over OpenDNS? What Pros does cloudflare have verse OpenDNS?
At the moment, I would recommend Cloudflare DNS over every other DNS provider available.

1. Speed - Cloudflare has a vastly superior distributed recursive server network. On average, it is the fastest resolver in 75% of the world.
2. Security/Privacy - Cloudflare supports DNS over TLS and HTTPS, making your entire connection encrypted, not just the query text. Cloudflare also holds a special agreement with browsers like Firefox, which require Cloudflare to collect the bare minimum of data. Cloudflare also only keeps logs for 24hrs in memory, nothing to disk, and is audited by a 3rd party. OpenDNS is owned by Cisco, and keeps all data. With the amount of behind-the-scenes data scraper and aggregator companies, it's no longer wise to think that meaningless data is meaningless.
3. Ease of use - While Google DNS is quite easy to remember, there is nothing easier than 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. I have no idea what opendns' addresses are.

Now opendns is not bad, the customizable filters are nice. Though injecting your own ads on unresolvables feels too middle man to me. Plus, simple tools like adblock origin can block at the browser level, or you can build your own piehole for local caching as well as whole network block listing, if not already supported by your router.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 09:44 AM   #5
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Sea Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

I have no knowledge of how DNS works other than it translates the web site’s name into an actual numeric Internet address, but I don't understand how it can be a DNS issue if it works fine with Edge, but not Chrome. If it was a DNS issue, wouldn't it effect BOTH browsers and not just Chrome, since it would be sending the exact same web address translation to both browsers?
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:49 AM   #6
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
At the moment, I would recommend Cloudflare DNS over every other DNS provider available.

1. Speed - Cloudflare has a vastly superior distributed recursive server network. On average, it is the fastest resolver in 75% of the world.
2. Security/Privacy - Cloudflare supports DNS over TLS and HTTPS, making your entire connection encrypted, not just the query text. Cloudflare also holds a special agreement with browsers like Firefox, which require Cloudflare to collect the bare minimum of data. Cloudflare also only keeps logs for 24hrs in memory, nothing to disk, and is audited by a 3rd party. OpenDNS is owned by Cisco, and keeps all data. With the amount of behind-the-scenes data scraper and aggregator companies, it's no longer wise to think that meaningless data is meaningless.
3. Ease of use - While Google DNS is quite easy to remember, there is nothing easier than 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. I have no idea what opendns' addresses are.

Now opendns is not bad, the customizable filters are nice. Though injecting your own ads on unresolvables feels too middle man to me. Plus, simple tools like adblock origin can block at the browser level, or you can build your own piehole for local caching as well as whole network block listing, if not already supported by your router.
I'm currently using it with DNScrypt on my router. Is this the best way to use it on a router? I'm guessing if setup in WAN or LAN DNS the lookup will be unencrypted. Would it be redundant to setup to use over TLS or Https?
How do you set it up to use DNS over TLS and HTTPS? Is this something I need to set up for every client?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Old Jun 10, 2018, 05:49 PM   #7
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
I have no knowledge of how DNS works other than it translates the web site’s name into an actual numeric Internet address, but I don't understand how it can be a DNS issue if it works fine with Edge, but not Chrome. If it was a DNS issue, wouldn't it effect BOTH browsers and not just Chrome, since it would be sending the exact same web address translation to both browsers?
Whoops, didn't notice he used his ISP dns on chrome, just edge. In this case, there is most likely a problem with his dns cache in chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I'm currently using it with DNScrypt on my router. Is this the best way to use it on a router? I'm guessing if setup in WAN or LAN DNS the lookup will be unencrypted. Would it be redundant to setup to use over TLS or Https?
How do you set it up to use DNS over TLS and HTTPS? Is this something I need to set up for every client?
DNS encryption via the router will be the best way to go as requests from all devices on the network that use the router for DNS will be protected. I say will be, since DNS over TLS or HTTPS isn't currently supported in just about any router. DNScrypt and DNSSEC are quite capable, but TLS and HTTPS is the endgame, as it will hide that you are even making a DNS query.

Setting up DNS over TLS or HTTPS through the browser is a relatively new thing, but I think Firefox 62 now supports it via manual configuration. This will also not be redundant, as this will bypass your router being the DNS, but for the time being until your router supports it, this will have to be configured on every capable client.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 08:55 AM   #8
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Meh I tried cloudfare and it was slower than my isp setting of no, or I assume dynamic, dns. Gaming was especially slow.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 18.8.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Asus 27" 1080p TN 1ms panel. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F23 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. XFX GTR BE RX 480 Cats 18.8.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 1 TB seagate 7200rpm. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:36 AM   #9
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Meh I tried cloudfare and it was slower than my isp setting of no, or I assume dynamic, dns. Gaming was especially slow.
Are you thinking of some kind of VPN? DNS does not affect gaming at all.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 05:50 PM   #10
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I tried loading the same websites I have issues with on another laptop in the house using my ISP's DNS with Chrome. Still loads them incorrectly. Seems like Chrome has some issues with my ISP's DNS? Other browsers load these same websites fine on my ISP's DNS (Edge on Windows 10 and Safari on iOS).

Anyway, I'm using the Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS and everything is now fine in Chrome. Internet hasn't slowed down too much so I might just stick with it.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old Jun 12, 2018, 06:34 PM   #11
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

Odd. The only other thing I can think of is Chrome's DNS prediction prefetch, which guesses DNS queries and results from analyzing the current page. You can test this by going into menu->settings->advanced->privacy&security section-> and uncheck “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly”.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 04:13 PM   #12
saumilsingh
Radeon Evergreen

saumilsingh can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysaumilsingh can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysaumilsingh can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Tried an "ipconfig /flushdns" ?
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 09:45 PM   #13
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

If page/files things aren't loading correctly, the browser console will tell you, and might provide a clue as to what is wrong. Press F12 and reload the page.

It could just as easily be an issue with an extension as a DNS issue.

Here's an example of uBlock blocking something...

Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 03:53 PM   #14
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Odd. The only other thing I can think of is Chrome's DNS prediction prefetch, which guesses DNS queries and results from analyzing the current page. You can test this by going into menu->settings->advanced->privacy&security section-> and uncheck “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly”.
Didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh View Post
Tried an "ipconfig /flushdns" ?
Didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
If page/files things aren't loading correctly, the browser console will tell you, and might provide a clue as to what is wrong. Press F12 and reload the page.

It could just as easily be an issue with an extension as a DNS issue.

Here's an example of uBlock blocking something...

Will try it out and report back.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:09 PM   #15
t3hl33td4rg0n

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Well, did ya fix it?

Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:21 AM   #16
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sorry, I got lazy there and just started using Edge for the two websites that load incorrectly in Chrome for me: www.gamespot.com and www.cnet.com

I did what you said and this is what came up for www.gamespot.com:

Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:48 AM   #17
t3hl33td4rg0n

Looks like it might be Chrome's internal DNS cache causing the problem?

HTTP Error 0 basically means a connection couldn't be established with the host. Either it couldn't resolve with DNS, or less likely, the host not responding to requests.

As an aside, you can click on each failed entry, which will take you to the network tab and get more information about the request.

Something else you can try:

1. Close all tabs expect 1 being about:blank or net tab page.
2. Clear cache (time: everything), no need to clear anything else.
3. Go to: chrome://net-internals/#dns
4. Clear Host cache.
5. Quit Chrome (Ctrl+Shift+Q)
6. Start up Chrome again
7. Hope it works?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:41 PM   #18
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Apparently, MS had fixed a lot of bugs (fixed Chrome issue as you can see it in their changelog). Grab an update.

"Addresses an issue that causes the latest versions of Google Chrome (67.0.3396.79+) to stop working on some devices."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4284848

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-...ease-for-1803/

also...interesting article.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/0...for-prime-time

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2018, 01:13 PM   #19
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Looks like it might be Chrome's internal DNS cache causing the problem?

HTTP Error 0 basically means a connection couldn't be established with the host. Either it couldn't resolve with DNS, or less likely, the host not responding to requests.

As an aside, you can click on each failed entry, which will take you to the network tab and get more information about the request.

Something else you can try:

1. Close all tabs expect 1 being about:blank or net tab page.
2. Clear cache (time: everything), no need to clear anything else.
3. Go to: chrome://net-internals/#dns
4. Clear Host cache.
5. Quit Chrome (Ctrl+Shift+Q)
6. Start up Chrome again
7. Hope it works?
Didn't work.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 01:19 PM   #20
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

By the way, in Chrome's Incognito mode, GameSpot loads like this:

If I load it in "regular" mode, it loads like in the screenshot in my first/original post.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 09:45 PM   #21
0091/2
We Do It!

did you try reinstalling chrome?

Current Desktop [2016]
Old Aug 24, 2018, 05:51 PM   #22
t3hl33td4rg0n

I would take those domain names that are erroring out in the Browser Console and do a dig or nslookup on them to verify if they're resolving through your DNS server.