Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Apple WWDC 2015

Expectations?

Evidently it's mostly going to be bug fixes for iOS/OSX and the relaunch of Beats under a new name, streaming service paradigm.

Any hardware? Bueller?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:11 PM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Looks like super catchup with Android. Low power mode and multi tasking.

Looks like multi tasking is really only available on the iPad.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:14 PM   #3
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

Excited about the new OSX. Metal may explain the absence of nVidia chips in the current generation Macs.

Don't care about iOS changes. It's fine as is as far as I'm concerned.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Not much more they can do but refine. I think with the 6S Plus iPhone, I'll be moving to an every OTHER year purchase, instead of annual like I've been doing since launch.

iPhone upgrades just aren't as exciting as they used to be, plus iOS updates are good for 3 generations of phones.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:25 PM   #5
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Not much more they can do but refine. I think with the 6S Plus iPhone, I'll be moving to an every OTHER year purchase, instead of annual like I've been doing since launch.

iPhone upgrades just aren't as exciting as they used to be, plus iOS updates are good for 3 generations of phones.
You should always upgrade on the tick cycle not the tock if you want the newest stuff. 2 year cycle get on it.

Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I've always considered the "s" versions to be the best upgrades in terms of hardware.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:53 PM   #7
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Looks like super catchup with Android. Low power mode and multi tasking.

Looks like multi tasking is really only available on the iPad.
Complete lift of the recent Windows snap features as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1madman1 View Post
Excited about the new OSX. Metal may explain the absence of nVidia chips in the current generation Macs.

Don't care about iOS changes. It's fine as is as far as I'm concerned.
Good observation, I didn't notice that NVidia is basically eliminated from the whole lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
You should always upgrade on the tick cycle not the tock if you want the newest stuff. 2 year cycle get on it.
That's hit or more miss. iPhone4 was a good example of a bad tick.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 02:18 PM   #8
logical
What is my purpose?

iTunes for android.

Which of you guys are gonna get it?

Old Jun 8, 2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

That music presentation was hard to watch. Probably the worst Apple presentation for product launch ever. That new icon is ridiculous.

I don't even know what I'm getting since they didn't mention it:

Can I play any song I like?
Can I make a "radio" from any song I like?
Can I pick any song to listen to?
Is the entire iTunes music server available to me?
Can I skip as many songs as I like?
Is there an download/offline feature?
What happens to iTunes Match? Still $25 a year on top of the $9.99 a month?
Why would I ditch Spotify?
Is there a student discount?

Good grief. Tell me what I'm getting.

Last edited by Razeus : Jun 8, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 04:32 PM   #10
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Complete lift of the recent Windows snap features as well.
The aero snap type thing is one of the few features I miss about windows in OSX. Yes there are third party tools to do the same thing, but it's nice to have it built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Good observation, I didn't notice that NVidia is basically eliminated from the whole lineup.
The sorry state of nVidia's OS X drivers and the fact that the cheaper Intel Iris Pro outperformed the nVidia 750m in OpenCL on the previous MacBook Pro lineup can't help matters. It looks like Metal utilizes OpenCL.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Top of reddit, re: Apple "revolutionizing" internet radio:

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2015, 07:56 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I didn't follow any of the coverage today, and didn't get to look at anything until after 6pm. This is the fewest Apple articles I think I've ever seen posted on Engadget during a WWDC. Doesn't look like there was anything even remotely interesting.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2015, 06:05 AM   #13
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Pretty boring overall imo.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 08:38 AM   #14
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

I think there was to be an Apple TV presentation, but couldn't get the deals done in time. Hence why the Music portion took so much time.

After digesting everything, most of iOS 9 changes are under the hood with a few app make overs.

Nothing much to see here. This is the most lackluster WWDC yet. That music program is just a mess. It's like Iovine doesn't even understand Apple culture. Why on earth are they resurrecting Ping as Connect? Sigh.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:28 AM   #15
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I think there was to be an Apple TV presentation, but couldn't get the deals done in time. Hence why the Music portion took so much time.
This is about the only idea that could allow what occurred to make sense. Along these lines, if Apple can't convince the various content makers/distributors to get onboard, who can? Seriously? You don't want your content on one of the most ubiquitous home CE devices around? 20 million + (using last year's numbers) is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote:
After digesting everything, most of iOS 9 changes are under the hood with a few app make overs.

Nothing much to see here. This is the most lackluster WWDC yet. That music program is just a mess. It's like Iovine doesn't even understand Apple culture. Why on earth are they resurrecting Ping as Connect? Sigh.
Incredibly underwhelming. I spent all of 5 minutes scrolling through Anandtech's live blog picking out bits and pieces that sounded interesting and found tiny feature additions or changes here and there but nothing that got me excited at all. Hopefully the next ATV can get done this year, maybe it can share the limelight at the next iPad launch (assuming the iPads get their own event and don't just share with the iPhone 6S). The 6S and the next ATV are the only announcements I'm looking forward to from Apple this year.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2015, 01:47 PM   #16
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

I'll personally be ditching Spotify for Apple Music as it consolidates all my music apps into one app.

Right now, I'm use 4 freaking apps for music:

iTunes for stuff I own and my personal playlists

Spotify for stuff I don't own but like to listen to but wouldn't buy and for curated playlists

Pandora for random radio

Google Music for stuff I keep in the cloud but didn't sync to my phone; mostly used as a backup.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 02:26 PM   #17
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'll use Apple music purely for the family $15 dorra feature. Unless Spotify comes out with a similar deal.

Seems they do, NM.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2015, 03:55 PM   #18
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I'll use Apple music purely for the family $15 dorra feature. Unless Spotify comes out with a similar deal.

Seems they do, NM.
I tested Rdio, Spotify, and Beats all at the same time with their 30 day free trials.

Rdio was a beautiful, but didn't work (playlists stop after a song was played, then crashed - an update fix that, but that came 2 weeks after I started my trial - Twitter search says it was going on a week before that). Unacceptable for a paid music service NOT be able to play music.

Google Music - I wanted to like it, but that UI...2 Column artist view, photos within circles, that orange color. I couldn't tell which music was mine and which was theirs.

Spotify had the mojo due its popularity. Damn near everyone I know is on it. But their UI and general mobile experience is a nightmare. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. Having to manually add songs to my Starred Playlist is terrible. They really need to rethink that UI and hire people who know what they are doing, but from what I understand, Spotify can't afford it.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

I like the the OSX improvements, especially the rip-off version of aero snap. I massively miss that feature when trying to work on OSX.

Metal seemed pointless? But then again, anything that tries to make gaming on OSX a better experience is a . Poor name choice though, given the old Metal API from a million years ago by S3.

And Rdio is pretty good. Although, I only use the free version *shrug*.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jun 9, 2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: *sorry lots of edits
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2015, 09:06 PM   #20
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Why can't Apple just use Vulkan? Apple and Linux could make more developers interested on investing time and money for 3 platforms (including Windows)
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2015, 03:07 AM   #21
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

they showed nothing that interested me...

And they need to do something fricking big if they want me to change from spotify. Everyone here uses spotify. I have all my playlist sorted like I want in spotify, every singel artist I listen too is on spotify

Apple music doesnt have anything that would make me switch.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2015, 04:42 AM   #22
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Metal seemed pointless? But then again, anything that tries to make gaming on OSX a better experience is a . Poor name choice though, given the old Metal API from a million years ago by S3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Why can't Apple just use Vulkan? Apple and Linux could make more developers interested on investing time and money for 3 platforms (including Windows)
Metal is the same API as their iOS stuff so it's a unification effort.

Vulkan is still MIA and, given recent things I've seen, I'm honestly not expecting a public API/release this year now as it doesn't seem like it is ready for the public eye. (Personally my interested has drifted towards DX12 because I know I can use that in a little over a month...)
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2015, 06:15 PM   #23
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

I've always done the every other year purchase. 3G, 4, 5, 6, and I set up my AT&T Next to allow for an upgrade November 2016 so I will be eligible for the iPhone 7.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote