Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Backing up my Nexus 5

I broke my touchscreen. I'm getting a replacement in a couple of days. What's the best app to use to backup everything ( including installed apps ) and just restore it on my replacement phone ?

Thanks

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:38 AM   #2
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If you're rooted, Titanium Backup is the best in my opinion. All backups are stored in a folder. Then just copy the folder to the new phone, install Titanium Backup from the Play Store, and restore all missing apps/settings. It backs up app settings too.

You can also backup to cloud storage and restore from that if you don't want to transfer files.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

How does he work TB without a touchscreen?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I should've mentioned. Only the upper 25% of the screen does not work, the rest is fine. So I can manage to navigate if I rotate the phone when needed.

My phone is not rooted.

I've looked at cloud storage, but I haven't found anything that'll accommodate a 16gb backup for free.

I'm a real noob at this.

-Megaman
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

You can try Helium if you aren't rooted. If you're backing up to the cloud, I think you have to get the paid version. (alternative solution, make your backups on your phone then manually transfer them to cloud storage)

Local, physical backups are a bitch on unrooted Nexus devices because OTG often doesn't work and they don't have uSD slots. Maybe someone with more experience on N5 can chime in.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 9, 2014, 02:25 PM   #6
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
How does he work TB without a touchscreen?
I wasn't sure if the screen was just cracked or if it was broken (as in non-responsive).

Without a screen, Nexus Root Toolkit can backup/restore apps: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
Old Sep 10, 2014, 04:08 PM   #7
.nox
Meh

Alright, I ended up using Helium Premium and used the cloud.

Thanks again guys.

... I also bought this

-Megaman
Old Sep 10, 2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Oh be aware that there a few apps Helium can't back up. Notably, the default messaging app in 4.4.x tends to block backups for some reason. I use SMS Backup and Restore to grab my texts before doing a wipe. Look on Helium's app backup list, at the bottom it'll show what other apps it won't grab. You'll have to find workarounds to preserve the data for those if you need them.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by .nox View Post
Alright, I ended up using Helium Premium and used the cloud.

Thanks again guys.

... I also bought this

I run my phone naked. Have 3 cases, don't use em because of my wireless charger in the car. The cases make the phone slide off the magnets when cornering

Austin has some curves, I might be taking them a bit faster than I used to.

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:15 AM   #10
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Oh be aware that there a few apps Helium can't back up. Notably, the default messaging app in 4.4.x tends to block backups for some reason. I use SMS Backup and Restore to grab my texts before doing a wipe. Look on Helium's app backup list, at the bottom it'll show what other apps it won't grab. You'll have to find workarounds to preserve the data for those if you need them.
That's the only thing that's been causing me problems actually. I restored my messages and they still wouldn't show up.

Thanks man, I'll look into SMS Backup.

-Megaman
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:19 AM   #11
.nox
Meh

SMS Backup worked like a charm. Cheers.

-Megaman
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Glad you got it sorted out

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:10 PM   #13
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

Just curious, did you use the new 'one free' replacement from Google?
eNforcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:39 PM   #14
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
Just curious, did you use the new 'one free' replacement from Google?
I saw something about a free replacement and called Google up and they told me there was no such thing.

Can you link me ?

-Megaman
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:41 PM   #15
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:38 PM   #16
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

wait a sec. So there is no official way to backup an android phone? Just paid apps?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

You can set it to backup and restore to your google account but 3rd party tools give you more control.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:16 AM   #18
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
wait a sec. So there is no official way to backup an android phone? Just paid apps?
You can do it via adb. The second tool I linked is just a convenient GUI for it.

Also, both methods I linked are free. Although the Pro version of Titanium Backup has better features.