Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default Car Mounts

Looking around for a mount for my Nexus 5 and Tabpro 8.4, but havent really been impressed with many of these. What are you guys using or can recommend? Something sturdy and possible one that caters to both sizes, if possible?
I thought someone posted one here a while ago, some cool looking ball joint one, just cant remember who it was from and how its holding up so far?

I usually dont like the ones hanging from the windshield, they annoy me, so something off of the dashboard or something equiv near the radio would be ideal.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Mar 22, 2014 at 03:32 PM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:40 PM   #2
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

I'm also interested. I'm sick of suction mounts as well. And they fall off when it becomes freezing temps.

The type weighted by sand bags seems pretty decent.

Edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Weighted.../dp/B001DQQBVW
I've seen a similar type without a suction pad though.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:05 PM   #3
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

http://www.rammount.com/

I've had good luck with thier ipad2 mount don't know how the their universal mounts are
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 22, 2014, 08:11 PM   #4
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

Those RAM mounts look great, actually. It'd be around $60USD for a suction mount setup for my Note 2. I'm also pretty interested in the review mirror mount too.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:22 PM   #6
biscuitownz
R.I.P 9600GT 2008-2009

biscuitownz is still being judged by the masses

I just bought one of these the other day and it works great for my n5.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201020267511...84.m1439.l2649

biscuitownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:07 PM   #7
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

this is the one I use:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

since I don't use my cd slot, it works perfect.
so if you are like me and don't need the cd slot, I would highly recommend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
Looking around for a mount for my Nexus 5 and Tabpro 8.4, but havent really been impressed with many of these. What are you guys using or can recommend? Something sturdy and possible one that caters to both sizes, if possible?
I thought someone posted one here a while ago, some cool looking ball joint one, just cant remember who it was from and how its holding up so far?

I usually dont like the ones hanging from the windshield, they annoy me, so something off of the dashboard or something equiv near the radio would be ideal.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34008696
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:07 AM   #9
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Thanks guys, ill check all of those out. I think it was TiT that had a pretty cool mount from a while back. Still looking for it.

Nomore, thats pretty slick. I definitely do not use my CD player any more due to BT and USB, so this might be the ticket. Just needs to see if my CD player is in the ideal spot.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:05 AM   #10
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
this is the one I use:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

since I don't use my cd slot, it works perfect.
so if you are like me and don't need the cd slot, I would highly recommend it.
Found another device that they have that caters to both smaller tablets and phones, its magnetic instead of clamping onto the phone. Seems ideal. While watching some videos one can also place this type of CD mount into any portion of the car that has a groove thats grippy enough, interesting as i may have various spots to be able to use.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

I purchased this suction cup model from Samsung and Im very satisfied with it. The cup on this thing is very well made. Its been stuck on my windshield all winter without ever falling and its been very cold up here in Montreal this winter.

http://ca.mobilefun.com/35105-genuin...Fenm7AodrXoAxQ
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:28 PM   #12
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

have a iomount on my center console. love it.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:07 PM   #13
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Found another device that they have that caters to both smaller tablets and phones, its magnetic instead of clamping onto the phone. Seems ideal. While watching some videos one can also place this type of CD mount into any portion of the car that has a groove thats grippy enough, interesting as i may have various spots to be able to use.
that's awesome. even better than mine.
I think nGroove is the best for car mounts, I researched it online quite a lot before I bought mine and there are not that many options when you don't want to put it on windshield or dashboard, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I keep hearing about the otter mounts. Supposedly they are decent.

What I found fascinating was an as seen on tv phone mount that uses adhesives to grip the phone for easy removal and applying. I don't know if I'd trust it though.

I forgot what mount I bought. It was not a top shelf brand though. It might be the same as titanium's. Haven't installed it. Paranoid I will be pulled over by the pigs. Especially with extra funding they just got to bust distractive driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:16 PM   #15
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
that's awesome. even better than mine.
I think nGroove is the best for car mounts, I researched it online quite a lot before I bought mine and there are not that many options when you don't want to put it on windshield or dashboard, etc.
Wanted to ordered it earlier, but they werent shipping to Canada or well at least not to my location. That changed the other day so it should be here by Fri, will let you know how it goes. Using the stronger magnetic sticker should work with my 8.4.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:17 AM   #16
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

I have THIS one.

Like it because it is quite small and flexible in the sense that is is 360 degrees turnable, can swivel up, down, left or right and because of the articulated nature can be adjusted even in depth. Because it's jointed and not some stupid flexible rod is doesn't bounce like a dancing fat girls ass. Optional sticking the holder to the dash or mount with suction cup. I use the latter that hasn't fallen off ever because it uses a screw mechanism to tighten the suction cup.
Animation:

Comes with a cradle which fit's smaller devices like smartphones. (Xperia Z1 fits)
But you can stick a supplied sticker on for example a cradle you already have and use that mount instead. Really nifty little thing and since I got it for free I'm not complaining

EDIT:

Just forget, a hex key is integrated in the device to tighten or loosen all the bolts in the joint so even the amount of friction is adjustable (Y)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:51 PM   #17
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

A little bit of a resurection, but i ended up getting the mountek snap2 (snap3 is out now) and i love it. The device sits firmly in my CD player and my phone attaches to it nicely with the magnetic patches. I didnt want to stick the patches directly to my phone seeing that it would be messy to remove, so i ended up placing the patch in my case... between the phone and the case its self while not adhered as its held in place seeing that its sandwiched. Ive only had it fall off once but that was my fault seeing that i didnt place it in the ideal spot (center of patch), but even then it still sticks pretty good as it was a pretty hefty train track that i went over that brought it down. Since being more percise ive yet to have it fall again. If needed ill post pics so one can see how it looks, but as for the performance via price, awwwesome!! No need to worry about having dash mounted again... those annoyed me soo bad.

The only con I can think of is how it kind of hides my radio, so its hard to see the time and control my radio. But to get past that i swivel my phone to either side and now the buttons and dials are easily accessible. I guess this will vary due to phone models.

Bottom line; its the only one id recommend to anyone right now. The newer ver seems interesting as well.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Oct 16, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 01:08 PM   #18
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've been using this cheap Chinese one for my Nexus 5 for the past year and it's just fantastic.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dedicated-Aut...item3a8832129e

Snaps right into place. I don't use a case with my phone.

I plug it in to the driver's side right air vent.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:05 PM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
A little bit of a resurection, but i ended up getting the mountek snap2 (snap3 is out now) and i love it. The device sits firmly in my CD player and my phone attaches to it nicely with the magnetic patches. I didnt want to stick the patches directly to my phone seeing that it would be messy to remove i ended up placing the patch in my case, between the phone and the case its self. Not adhered as its held in place seeing that its sandwiched. Ive only had it fall off once but that was my fault seeing that i didnt place it in the ideal spot (center of patch), but even then its still sticks pretty good as it was a pretty hefty train track that i went over that brought it down. Since being more percise ive yet to have it fall again. If needed ill post pics so one can see how it looks, but as for the performance via price, awwwesome!! No need to worry about having dash mounted again... those annoyed me soo bad.

The only con I can think of is how it kind of hides my radio, so its hard to see the time and control my radio. But to get past that i swivel my phone to either side and now the buttons and dials are easily accessible. I guess this will vary due to phone models.

Bottom line; its the only one id recommend to anyone right now. The newer ver seems interesting as well.
Nice follow-up.

I am thinking of a CD holder thingy for my phone too. Just have to figure out a way to run the cable cleanly from my arm-rest to the main console area

It'll hide a couple of buttons, but that's fine, I have them on my steering wheel.

Do you know how far your device sticks out from the console?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:34 PM   #20
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Nice follow-up.

I am thinking of a CD holder thingy for my phone too. Just have to figure out a way to run the cable cleanly from my arm-rest to the main console area

It'll hide a couple of buttons, but that's fine, I have them on my steering wheel.

Do you know how far your device sticks out from the console?
Ill take a pic when im in my car next, but its about 3-5 inches. Ive kind of lucked out when it comes to the USB cable, my ports are located under the central console (where my wallet goes) rather than being at the arm rest. Ived used both of my lighter connections those usb adapters that botho of them supports 2 usb devices, so i can power up 4 in total. But yeah, the cable runs directly up and down and im able to move quite easily.

My car has the CD player above the radio portion, so thats why its kind of sucky. Its not horrible as i am able to access controls via steering, but i still prefer the old fashion way of touching the dials as I cant always see what station im at. I preprogm my 1 2 3... buttons and i like to know which way to go rather than randomnly guessing... Not critical by any means
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:41 PM   #21
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I've been using this cheap Chinese one for my Nexus 5 for the past year and it's just fantastic.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dedicated-Aut...item3a8832129e

Snaps right into place. I don't use a case with my phone.

I plug it in to the driver's side right air vent.
My problem is, im too lazy to deal with snaps and size levers. I just plop it on and off when i place grab my wallet. The one you linked is pretty minimal, but i disliked how some made the clamps big and chunky which made it an eye sore for me. With this one you just see your phone and thats it. The sexier the phone the sexier my radio console looks
Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:56 PM   #22
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Ill take a pic when im in my car next, but its about 3-5 inches. Ive kind of lucked out when it comes to the USB cable, my ports are located under the central console (where my wallet goes) rather than being at the arm rest. Ived used both of my lighter connections those usb adapters that botho of them supports 2 usb devices, so i can power up 4 in total. But yeah, the cable runs directly up and down and im able to move quite easily.

My car has the CD player above the radio portion, so thats why its kind of sucky. Its not horrible as i am able to access controls via steering, but i still prefer the old fashion way of touching the dials as I cant always see what station im at. I preprogm my 1 2 3... buttons and i like to know which way to go rather than randomnly guessing... Not critical by any means
Whoa, it sticks OUT 3-5 inches from your CD player?

Seriously?

Well that just killed it. I guess I'm keeping my phone where it currently resides
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:08 PM   #23
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

I could be wrong, might be, id say 3 at best. Ill grab a pic later tonight.
Looks like you average clamp, close to what dream posted. May just look larger because of the size of the phone and how my dash is kind of rounded.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:18 PM   #24
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

So I just purchased a OnePlus One to replace my Nexus 5 ironically enough, so I'm back to looking at Car Mounts.

That phone is slightly bigger so thinking of this:
http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe-plus

Or GI's option, just not sure if it will fit that well in the CD slot of my TSX considering the volume button is an obstruction, but I'd be curious to see GI pictures of your setup.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:30 PM   #25
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
So I just purchased a OnePlus One to replace my Nexus 5 ironically enough, so I'm back to looking at Car Mounts.

That phone is slightly bigger so thinking of this:
http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe-plus

Or GI's option, just not sure if it will fit that well in the CD slot of my TSX considering the volume button is an obstruction, but I'd be curious to see GI pictures of your setup.
Not all vents are created equal. I couldn't use this kind of thing in my M45 so you might want to check and see if this kinda thing will fit in your car

Cheapest way is to pop in a vent air freshener and see how it fits.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:38 PM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I could be wrong, might be, id say 3 at best. Ill grab a pic later tonight.
Looks like you average clamp, close to what dream posted. May just look larger because of the size of the phone and how my dash is kind of rounded.
Gotcha.

Might end up getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Magn...cd+phone+mount

Here is my issue:

Not a lot of space between the shifter and where the CD slot is. Also, no power outlets there, though I have plenty of options in my arm-rest.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:41 PM   #27
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

Here are some poor low light images of my car interior, not sure given where the CD slot is (under the Acura text) if GI BRO's solution would fare very well in my car given the knobs? What do you guys think?

Also, here is my current Nexus 5 car mount set up (the cheapo one linked above) - works a charm in that slot there, too bad the OnePlus doesn't have a mould to fit that.

Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:47 AM   #28
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Here's what it looks like... so yeah some gap.

Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:33 AM   #29
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I really have all you guys beat, sorry.

Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2014, 02:14 PM   #30
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

Looks good, but that wouldn't work for me unless the position was changed - dont like the idea of looking down when I am driving.