Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default Yes another thread about what tablet to get, but...

I'm having a hard time narrowing down the platform. I was able to sell my orig Surface for decent coin but while looking around to upgrade i just cant decide on what to get. Pretty much i use it for media consumption, videos/surf, but i think i want something a bit more "fun" which is why im looking at one of the newer ipads.

The problem is i reaaaaaally like what MS has been doing with the win8/rt platform and i like how it integrates into my life style (win8 across all pc's). With the xb1 coming this week it may be even more of a reason to stay with that platform, but i must say there's something a little special about the ipads life style.

Another big reason why im looking at outside MS is because of my photography work flow. With the equipment i have there's not much in the way of apps i can use on RT, virtually zero, but there are tons of options on Apple and or android... tho i must say apples apps (imovie...etc) are pretty intuitive and work well seeing its designed properly to work with the tablet hardware. Androids are hit or miss and just dont seem to be as polished.

ARgh...

So im just seeing if any of you were or are in the same same boat and what did you end up getting? Or anyone's thoughts about my situation would be appreciated.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Very interested in what suggestions you get.

I'm looking to buy a tablet for a gift and don't know where to start.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

What is your budget?

If you can get a Surface Pro then that's what I'd get. If you're looking to spend less then an Android tablet. I just don't see WinRT having much future.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:52 AM   #4
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

If you're asking me - no budget.

Either way, sorry for derailing BRO.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:25 PM   #5
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

IPad Air is nice for an iOS device, for android I'm enjoying my G Pad 8.3. Great performance and perfect form factor for an on the go device, doesn't feel as fragile as the iPad air. We got both in my house.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
IPad Air is nice for an iOS device, for android I'm enjoying my G Pad 8.3. Great performance and perfect form factor for an on the go device, doesn't feel as fragile as the iPad air. We got both in my house.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
I was reading up on those this morning. Looks like a contender for $349.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
I'm having a hard time narrowing down the platform. I was able to sell my orig Surface for decent coin but while looking around to upgrade i just cant decide on what to get. Pretty much i use it for media consumption, videos/surf, but i think i want something a bit more "fun" which is why im looking at one of the newer ipads.

The problem is i reaaaaaally like what MS has been doing with the win8/rt platform and i like how it integrates into my life style (win8 across all pc's). With the xb1 coming this week it may be even more of a reason to stay with that platform, but i must say there's something a little special about the ipads life style.

Another big reason why im looking at outside MS is because of my photography work flow. With the equipment i have there's not much in the way of apps i can use on RT, virtually zero, but there are tons of options on Apple and or android... tho i must say apples apps (imovie...etc) are pretty intuitive and work well seeing its designed properly to work with the tablet hardware. Androids are hit or miss and just dont seem to be as polished.

ARgh...

So im just seeing if any of you were or are in the same same boat and what did you end up getting? Or anyone's thoughts about my situation would be appreciated.
Many of the new 8.1 tablets (non-RT) will do the job for you and they have great prices. There are some with Baytrail that will dual-boot. I think Lenovo and Dell both have options in that arena, in case you want flexibility.

This will give you the option of using a touch interface or a regular interface if you choose to do more with your device and you won't have to compromise.

That's the whole deal for me with iOS. You have a number of compromises all around. It does what it does well, but if you go outside of the box, you're boned. Android also has some limitations, so a combination or something that allows emulation would be the best of both worlds
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 03:39 PM   #8
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Well i sold my Surface for $380 so im taking that and another $250 as my budget for a device like this, taxes in...etc. If i can spend less even better. I guess i should have said i want a screen no less than 1080p, more so preferably. So that cuts down a whole whack load right there. I dont mind android, ive seen some of those lenovo's/dells and they are pretty interesting.

I think i may have pulled the trigger on an ipad air/mini already if it was 16x9 or if its interface was more robust, those (along with their pricing scheme) are my biggest complaints with their devices right now. May seem petty for some, but i just cant seem to get over it.

Im in no rush at the moment, my playbook is keeping me somewhat satisfied at the moment Ill run down to the mall and play around with some more ipads/rt/pros to see if i can or cannot live without some features.

Any word on the new nexus 10" tablet? Time frame/specs?

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Nov 16, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

If I were in your shoes, and price is not a problem, Surface Pro 2.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:31 PM   #10
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
I was reading up on those this morning. Looks like a contender for $349.
I mean for the price you get a Snapdragon 600 1.7ghz QuadCore, 16GB Storage & Expandable, 8.3" 1920x1200 Display. It's fast, not loaded with **** like Samsung does to their tablets and the speakers are in a great spot so you don't cover them while holding it.
|MaguS| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I mean for the price you get a Snapdragon 600 1.7ghz QuadCore, 16GB Storage & Expandable, 8.3" 1920x1200 Display. It's fast, not loaded with **** like Samsung does to their tablets and the speakers are in a great spot so you don't cover them while holding it.
Yep. I've been trying to decide what to trade my ipad2 in for, and I think this will be it.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:04 PM   #12
bman212121
Radeon R520

bman212121 is still being judged by the masses

Did you like your surface or no? The new Surface 2 had some pretty substantial improvements over the first one including 1080p display. It should be a decent bit faster and still have an actual USB port on it.

There is also the Nokia 2520 coming out in a week or so, might be worthwhile to wait and see how that stacks up unless you find a deal on something else.
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Saw a deal thread for an iPad 3 at $400ish if you're thinking about iOS.

I'm a bit torn on my next tablet purchase too. I want an iPad to play all the bloody games I bought over the years but I hate working around file transfers issues. This applies to a lesser degree with Android as well and I presume wouldn't be an issue on a Surface/Win8 tab.

For me it breaks down like this

iPad

+lots of apps/games backlogged
+good screen for comics
+good battery life
-pricey
-iTunes/file transfer bullshit
-lack of SD
-limited OS

Android tablet

+open OS easier to work with
+probably will have SD slot
+relatively cheap
-not as many games I want to play/have
-overall quality hit or miss depending on model
-battery life generally so-so (why can't anything deep sleep properly???)

Win 8 Pro tablet

+Windows OS, open, familiar
+shouldnt have file transfer issues
+Surface tabs are pretty good quality
+more secure and frequently updated than other platforms
-ecosystem is garbage (don't really care since I can just install regular software)
-battery life isn't stellar
-most expensive

It seems like I'm giving the nod to a Win 8 tab and putting the iPad last but I gotta say, I really want an iDevice to get to those games

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Saw a deal thread for an iPad 3 at $400ish if you're thinking about iOS.

I'm a bit torn on my next tablet purchase too. I want an iPad to play all the bloody games I bought over the years but I hate working around file transfers issues. This applies to a lesser degree with Android as well and I presume wouldn't be an issue on a Surface/Win8 tab.

For me it breaks down like this

iPad

+lots of apps/games backlogged
+good screen for comics
+good battery life
-pricey
-iTunes/file transfer bullshit
-lack of SD
-limited OS

Android tablet

+open OS easier to work with
+probably will have SD slot
+relatively cheap
-not as many games I want to play/have
-overall quality hit or miss depending on model
-battery life generally so-so (why can't anything deep sleep properly???)

Win 8 Pro tablet

+Windows OS, open, familiar
+shouldnt have file transfer issues
+Surface tabs are pretty good quality
+more secure and frequently updated than other platforms
-ecosystem is garbage (don't really care since I can just install regular software)
-battery life isn't stellar
-most expensive

It seems like I'm giving the nod to a Win 8 tab and putting the iPad last but I gotta say, I really want an iDevice to get to those games
You can buy a Win 8 tablet (non-RT) for less than an iPad, how is it the most expensive?

Also, lack of SD on an iPad shouldn't be a big deal given cloud integration (all my music is in the cloud).

Otherwise pretty much covers the pro's and con's of what's out there
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:44 PM   #15
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm actually typing this withi the air At the apple store, must say the unit is pretty slick. At this point I think I'm heading towards iOS or win. Again I like how win8 flows with my style but it really lacks in the area of polished apps that I can make use of. Don't mind the dimensions of the ipad I can even live with movie watching on this, but like what you guys mention if it weren't for the apps the device is super boring. I guess I need to figure out what can I live without.

What apps do you guys use for streaming movies via win network? Too much lag as the app needs to re encode? How's google chrome with iOS? Pretty much the same as win?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #16
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
What apps do you guys use for streaming movies via win network? Too much lag as the app needs to re encode? How's google chrome with iOS? Pretty much the same as win?
I understand VLC is the default option there. I've never tried streaming however, no idea how well it works.

I see Google Chrome on IOS as only being useful for syncing with it's desktop counterpart. It generally doesn't work as well as Safari I've found, and its certainly slower.
1madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
You can buy a Win 8 tablet (non-RT) for less than an iPad, how is it the most expensive?

Also, lack of SD on an iPad shouldn't be a big deal given cloud integration (all my music is in the cloud).

Otherwise pretty much covers the pro's and con's of what's out there
What decent non-RT Win 8 tablet can you get for less than the iPad? I won't buy Acer, and I don't want less than 10"

Cloud integration is great if you have constant access to the cloud. A lot of places don't allow that.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:59 PM   #18
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions... I'm actually typing this withi the air At the apple store, must say the unit is pretty slick. At this point I think I'm heading towards iOS or win. Again I like how win8 flows with my style but it really lacks in the area of polished apps that I can make use of. Don't mind the dimensions of the ipad I can even live with movie watching on this, but like what you guys mention if it weren't for the apps the device is super boring. I guess I need to figure out what can I live without.

I think this is where having a Win8 Pro tab would be really great. I still can't get any one player to stream properly from my Win server at home to my iPhone or Android tablets. Why encode on the fly with all the issues that entails when you could just read it off a shared drive via Win 8.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 17, 2013, 01:08 PM   #19
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Hmmm... Puts air done and walks away slowly...
You have a point, was about to just grab this as I've been extremely impressed with everything else. What about music, do I need iTunes to sync or are their other apps that one should use?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm totally hogging this unit from everyone else in the store ATM
Old Nov 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #20
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
What about music, do I need iTunes to sync or are their other apps that one should use?
I use iTunes for everything, but apparently there are 3rd party apps that will transfer music and other files - iFunBox is one that I'm aware of.
1madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:48 PM   #21
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Hmmm... Puts air done and walks away slowly...
You have a point, was about to just grab this as I've been extremely impressed with everything else. What about music, do I need iTunes to sync or are their other apps that one should use?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm totally hogging this unit from everyone else in the store ATM
mostly you got to use iTunes to transfer everything, music, video and pictures, pain in the a$$
I got a ipad2 and a iphone4s and i won't get another apple product again

get a Win8 Pro tab like surface pro 2 cost a little more but is open with a usb port

and use the same photography software and games elc. you use on your desktop
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:52 PM   #22
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I sold my iPad because I couldn't keep dealing with iTunes 'syncing' crap after owning Android devices, most recently my Nexus 5.

Drag and drop thank you.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:37 PM   #23
Zero
Sass hole

^This

I liked iTunes a lot as a media player, media library, etc. It worked pretty well when I was transferring items that were already indexed, properly tagged, and sorted in my library to my iPhone. The process was fairly well streamlined and quick/easy. However, it made transferring anything else a pain in the ass.

I have a ton of media not supported by iTune's interface which necessitate drag and drop. One of my reasons for buying a new 10" tablet is for reading comics (outside of a commercial app) and I don't think there's any simple way to get them on a potential iPad without jailbreaking (iOS users correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm also weary of iTune's backup and restore process. Apple may have resolved some of those issues since 2010 but it's left a bad taste in my mouth after losing a bunch of data because of iTunes' process.

Using shared Win drives is another issue, don't even get me started.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:42 PM   #24
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
What decent non-RT Win 8 tablet can you get for less than the iPad? I won't buy Acer, and I don't want less than 10"

Cloud integration is great if you have constant access to the cloud. A lot of places don't allow that.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-...l-venue-11-pro

I have used both the 8 pro and 11 pro Venue's and they are awesome. The base 11 pro has a Baytrail proc, but it also includes full office 2013 so it's far better value than an iPad Air. Plus the BASE Air starts at $499 for a 16GB. You pay $699 for a 64GB. No comparison.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Zero
Sass hole

I was looking at something with an i5 like the Surface Pro 2.

Though I'm not sure I'd ever need much power beyond what Baytrail offers really. I was thinking some light steam gaming so the i5 would be better in that regard but I doubt either one would really run that great. Have you tried any gaming on the Venues Sazar?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 17, 2013, 06:44 PM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I was looking at something with an i5 like the Surface Pro 2.

Though I'm not sure I'd ever need much power beyond what Baytrail offers really. I was thinking some light steam gaming so the i5 would be better in that regard but I doubt either one would really run that great. Have you tried any gaming on the Venues Sazar?
Marketplace games are fine, I wouldn't push it for 3D style gaming though. I didn't get a chance to do that at the reveal so I can't speculate. However, I will say that the tablets were smooth as can be. Much smoother than I expected.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 06:59 PM   #27
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

Thanks for those links, i will check them out in detail. One of my biggest complaints, well not complaints but pet peeve, is that with RT there was some slight delay/hesitation when apps opened. Im not talking about the actual load times but the time i tapped on something and when it responded... especially in IE. With the ipad air everything opened instantly, even most of the load times were just a mere short breaths. Thats what i noticed most when using it today, along with the screen res and ergonomics of course. Also the intuitiveness of the apps beat any of the full editing programs i use on my PC. The tablet wont replace my editing process but any editing i do on the tablet i want it to be snap easy and quick... and that's why i think iOS has a big up.

But yeah ill check out the Dell 11 Pro, the prices seem VERY attractive.

Question about the CPU, i've always had a hate on for the atom family but are these new gens that much better? How do i know which atom gen is in these things if they dont state the obvious?

Thanks agian
Old Nov 17, 2013, 08:15 PM   #28
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Also the intuitiveness of the apps beat any of the full editing programs i use on my PC. The tablet wont replace my editing process but any editing i do on the tablet i want it to be snap easy and quick... and that's why i think iOS has a big up.
If you learn the gestures in Windows 8.1, you'll be fine. Snap view is also quite brilliant (side by side apps, or apps and desktop) and quite intuitive. As the install base gets bigger, the products will also improve.

Quote:
But yeah ill check out the Dell 11 Pro, the prices seem VERY attractive.

Question about the CPU, i've always had a hate on for the atom family but are these new gens that much better? How do i know which atom gen is in these things if they dont state the obvious?

Thanks agian
FYI, they supposedly have some discounts on some Dell tablets over Brack Friday/Cyber Monday, if you can wait a week or two you'll be fine.

Baytrail is what is in the new systems, should be quad-core atom's. They are actually very solid products for their performance.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:43 AM   #29
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
If you learn the gestures in Windows 8.1, you'll be fine. Snap view is also quite brilliant (side by side apps, or apps and desktop) and quite intuitive. As the install base gets bigger, the products will also improve.

FYI, they supposedly have some discounts on some Dell tablets over Brack Friday/Cyber Monday, if you can wait a week or two you'll be fine.

Baytrail is what is in the new systems, should be quad-core atom's. They are actually very solid products for their performance.
I got some hands on time with the Surface 2 and the Pro 2 today, and have to agree with this. The tablet (touch) implementation of 8/8.1 is pretty sweet.

Anyone who has never used win 8/81. will have the learning curve of course.

Also had time with a few Samsung offerings. There are several that, compared to 3 years ago..are an instant win for the consumer. The screen/ IQ on the Galaxy Note 10 was just

More shopping to do as I want hands on time with the G Pad. Strongly suspect it will not disappoint.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 04:53 PM   #30
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
More shopping to do as I want hands on time with the G Pad. Strongly suspect it will not disappoint.
Good luck, Many retailers are ****ing LG over and not displaying it like they are required to. I had to go to a rep and ask for it (I don't get WiFi Devices).

If you want cellular connectivity I would recommend waiting. ^_^
|MaguS| is offline   Reply With Quote