Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:22 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So they making 3 different iphone 5 now!!
two gsm version and one cdma.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #122
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
I was saying 'go on' to get you to explain how you got that great battery life.

What rom, how did you flash, link to XDA

Go on...
The trick is to not use the phone

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:34 PM   #123
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
I was saying 'go on' to get you to explain how you got that great battery life.

What rom, how did you flash, link to XDA

Go on...
Rom I am running is phantom which I believe is for att and sprint variants only right now. Freezed unnecessary aps, limited max number of processes in background. I don't keep open apps that actively sync constantly like KIK and so forth. I found currently the stock kernel gives me the best batt life but not the crazy speeds I've seen with other custom kernels. I actually haven't messed with cpu gov settings either. After letting the rom sit on my phone for about 3-4 days I noticed battery life was getting insanely good for my needs. Most of the time I only use my phone for text or to look at my email when it goes off, and a few phone calls thru the day. So I rarely browse the web or watch videos on my phone as I have a lte ipad for that.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Sep 12, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #124
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Just going to link and quote my previous post regarding this in a different thread.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...7&postcount=54

Quote:
I know what the OS will be like, and the OS sucks. It has for the past 3 years. Typically what happens when you stop innovating and your competition passes you by and you run out of ideas and have to resort to sueing them to stay relevant technologically, or steal elements from everyone elses operating system, but still remain stale and years behind.

I am sure there will be something "magical" about the hardware but unless they pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat on the software front, my current phone will be the last Apple device I own.
Now, to play the waiting game for WP8 and the next Nexus phone. Bye bye Apple. It was fun while it lasted
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:48 PM   #125
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Just going to link and quote my previous post regarding this in a different thread.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...7&postcount=54

Now, to play the waiting game for WP8 and the next Nexus phone. Bye bye Apple. It was fun while it lasted
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, sue.

Apple lost me as a customer when they sued Samsung.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #126
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think this phone marks the beginning of the end of the iphone era. Sure it will still sell but come next year a stream of new androids will hit the market as well as w8 mobile phones. All of which will have some improvements here and there and then the 5s will come along and show that it hasn't change much. The hardware is there for apple but IOS is so stale. I also don't get why they had to increase the phone size when so much of the phone 4s was bezel. I think that was the trick to making it thinner, by stretching it.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #127
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I think this phone marks the beginning of the end of the iphone era. Sure it will still sell but come next year a stream of new androids will hit the market as well as w8 mobile phones. All of which will have some improvements here and there and then the 5s will come along and show that it hasn't change much. The hardware is there for apple but IOS is so stale. I also don't get why they had to increase the phone size when so much of the phone 4s was bezel. I think that was the trick to making it thinner, by stretching it.
I doubt it.

If you read the BBC article, it was actually spot on. The iPhone used to be the BMW or Mercedes of the industry. Now it is the Camry, the safe choice, and it sells in volume.

It is no longer sporting premium features (except perhaps the styling) but regardless, the masses will buy it.

The 4s was lacklustre and look at the sales numbers. The 5 will sell just fine and set all kinds of records because, seriously, look at the free publicity the device is getting. It is mind-blowing how much free air-time Apple gets.

And a good chunk of those articles are all talking about how fantastic the device is and how it instantly makes the 4s seem slow and all that stuff. People will upgrade or move to it because they want to have the cool device, regardless of how inferior it actually is.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:07 PM   #128
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Im not sure that its the end of the iPhone era. There are plenty of people out there who dont want crazy phones that do a million things. For a lot of people an iPhone will pretty much do everything they need it to do and keep it simple enough that they dont have to put much effort into doing it.

One thing I see people complaining about is the lack of NFC. Honestly, I dont want NFC and would never use it. Also a notification light.. same thing.. not really needed. My phone is in my pocket when I am out and about so no need to see a little colorful light. When my phone is on vibrate it has a custom vibrate beat for a cell phone and for a text message so I dont even need to look at the phone to know what I missed.

Im still waiting for more technical reviews of it. Hopefully someone will be able to get a hands on before pre-orders go up.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:08 PM   #129
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Just tried Xcode with the 4" Retina Simulator to see how it deals with existing Apps and it works just great. Didn't even notice the black boarders at first because the simulator doesn't have a wide bezel around the display.

It'll be a good solution until Apps will get official support for the new screen, which will happen very quickly anyway.

The new iTouch will be available for pre-order here on Friday. I hope that goes for the iPhone as well. But it does not say anything concrete like that just yet.
I'll be hitting cmd+R all Friday long, that's for sure!
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:10 PM   #130
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Just tried Xcode with the 4" Retina Simulator to see how it deals with existing Apps and it works just great. Didn't even notice the black boarders at first because the simulator doesn't have a wide bezel around the display.

It'll be a good solution until Apps will get official support for the new screen, which will happen very quickly anyway.

The new iTouch will be available for pre-order here on Friday. I hope that goes for the iPhone as well. But it does not say anything concrete like that just yet.
I'll be hitting cmd+R all Friday long, that's for sure!
Screenshots of how letter boxed apps would look?

Speaking of the new iPod touch.. that little button they have on the back for a strap... damn fugly. I do like that the iPhone is still a step ahead of the iPod touch in terms of performance and visuals.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:14 PM   #131
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Screenshots of how letter boxed apps would look?

Speaking of the new iPod touch.. that little button they have on the back for a strap... damn fugly. I do like that the iPhone is still a step ahead of the iPod touch in terms of performance and visuals.

I thought the button had a acutal function the itouch turns out its a strap holder. I am going to go on a limb here and assume the strap isn't free or included?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:15 PM   #132
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
If you read the BBC article, it was actually spot on. The iPhone used to be the BMW or Mercedes of the industry. Now it is the Camry, the safe choice, and it sells in volume.
If you look at the used material as well as development and engineering processes involved, the iPhone certainly is the German premium car under the phones. The attention to detail and user friendliness is unmatched.

The selling in volume part is because the iPhones are dirt cheap compared to a Mercedes or BMW
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #133
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Im not sure that its the end of the iPhone era. There are plenty of people out there who dont want crazy phones that do a million things. For a lot of people an iPhone will pretty much do everything they need it to do and keep it simple enough that they dont have to put much effort into doing it.

One thing I see people complaining about is the lack of NFC. Honestly, I dont want NFC and would never use it. Also a notification light.. same thing.. not really needed. My phone is in my pocket when I am out and about so no need to see a little colorful light. When my phone is on vibrate it has a custom vibrate beat for a cell phone and for a text message so I dont even need to look at the phone to know what I missed.

Im still waiting for more technical reviews of it. Hopefully someone will be able to get a hands on before pre-orders go up.
I'm not saying people wont buy it but with each generation iphone moving forward I just see it fading. Yes the isheep will buy a fail product but one can only fail so many times in a row before you start loosing sheep.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:18 PM   #134
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
If you look at the used material as well as development and engineering processes involved, the iPhone certainly is the German premium car under the phones. The attention to detail and user friendliness is unmatched.

The selling in volume part is because the iPhones are dirt cheap compared to a Mercedes or BMW
Your impartiality is impeccable
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:18 PM   #135
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

The only thing premium about it is the shell. HTC has already started producing non plasticy phones. Samsungs ativ is a step less plastic phones as well. Premium has to be more than a casing.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:21 PM   #136
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Your impartiality is impeccable
Well...

Plastic = Toyota.
Alu = Audi.

Do you see the what I mean?
I think that BBC comparison is just flawed, that's all.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:23 PM   #137
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
The only thing premium about it is the shell. HTC has already started producing non plasticy phones. Samsungs ativ is a step less plastic phones as well. Premium has to be more than a casing.
Indeed.

The boxing in the Galaxy S3 was better than the iPhone4, so you can't even say Apple has the best "presentation" anymore.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #138
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Exactly. That's why I also mentioned the R&D involved.
The way car manufacturers are fine-tuning details like the sound of the door opening and closing or the click sound of a button, Apple fine tunes details about their products and the way the work with each other.

I can't say I have seen anything come close to that yet.
Having high quality hardware is no problem for the competition but having an all around high quality experience is. I hope Win 8 will change that in the future. The combination of Nokia and Win 8 sure looks promising!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #139
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Well...

Plastic = Toyota.
Alu = Audi.

Do you see the what I mean?
I think that BBC comparison is just flawed, that's all.
Go buy an audi with the internals and functions of last year's Toyota. That's what the iphone is. Apple is doing the same crap as RIM did with blackberry, lackluster innovation or hardly any. Look at blackberry today is all I can say. At least copy better or copy more.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:31 PM   #140
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Go buy an audi with the internals and functions of last year's Toyota. That's what the iphone is. Apple is doing the same crap as RIM did with blackberry, lackluster innovation or hardly any. Look at blackberry today is all I can say. At least copy better or copy more.
What is wrong about the internals of the iPhone 5 in your opinion?

Little is known about them yet. You know why? Because that stuff doesn't matter anymore. Cores, clocks, RAM and what not.... Do you think about that when using a mobile device or a PC? We have more than enough of it, it won't slow you down like in the past.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:33 PM   #141
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
I thought the button had a acutal function the itouch turns out its a strap holder. I am going to go on a limb here and assume the strap isn't free or included?
It comes with that stupid strap.

Quote:
I'm not saying people wont buy it but with each generation iphone moving forward I just see it fading. Yes the isheep will buy a fail product but one can only fail so many times in a row before you start loosing sheep.
I am sure Apple will do something to stay relevant in future releases.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:52 PM   #142
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
What is wrong about the internals of the iPhone 5 in your opinion?

Little is known about them yet. You know why? Because that stuff doesn't matter anymore. Cores, clocks, RAM and what not.... Do you think about that when using a mobile device or a PC? We have more than enough of it, it won't slow you down like in the past.
A6 shouldn't be much different in performance then most top end androids today that is fine. The major internal problem is the OS. IOS is rigid and outdated. The bring out a new version of maps with 3d view blah blah, I had that on my 1st samsung galaxy in 2010. The most disappointing thing was the lack of any killer or exclusive feature.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:59 PM   #143
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Apple of 2012 = RIM of 2007

Apple's iPhone, when it hit the market, was innovative and new. This gave them a huge command over the mobile device market. Since then they've been less revolutionary and more evolutionary with each iteration. This is the same state that Windows Mobile, Palm OS and RIM caught caught in when the first iPhone showed up followed by Android.

Apple could easily double the R&D budget of every other mobile device OEM / OS group combined. But we're not seeing that. Instead we're seeing an emphasis on smaller iterations of the OS and phone, with more assertions of their patent portfolio in the courts.

I think it's becoming easier to see where this company is headed.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:10 PM   #144
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Regarding innovation, what do other companies like Samsung offer? Galaxy S>S2>S3 is as evolutionary as iPhone 3GS>4>4S>5, no?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:19 PM   #145
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Regarding innovation, what do other companies like Samsung offer? Galaxy S>S2>S3 is as evolutionary as iPhone 3GS>4>4S>5, no?
The galaxy evolutions are basically the same phone with bigger faster, longer, fatter.

iPhone evolutions have always been smaller, thinner, faster, longer.

I recall a quote from Einstein about which one is a stroke of genius and which is anyone can do.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:23 PM   #146
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Hmmm I'm inclined to agree somewhat, but the other OEMs don't have the ability to stand on their past successes like Apple has. So instead we see things like Google Now, deeper OS integration of social media like Facebook, NFC and Android Beam, Face unlock, Google Wallet, picture taking during video, etc...

I suspect the list could go on for a bit. Remember when Apple introduced the "revolutionary" Notification area? I didn't see anything announced this year in iOS or the iPhone 5 that looked brand new and never seen before in Android or WP7.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:26 PM   #147
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Kinda in the same boat, though I suspect neither option will be satisfactory.

S3
+better web browsing
+uSD
+more open OS
-pentile screen
-battery life
-ecosystem

iPhone (5?)
+better ecosystem
-no uSD
-low compatibility with native web browsing
-iTunes
-proprietary connector
-proprietary/new format SIM
TBD battery life (suspect will be advantage)
TBD screen and IQ
TBD responsiveness (suspect equal or better)

Hard choice considering I'm not crazy about either device...
The web browsing is the same since the resolutions are very similar.

You also forgot: lighter, thinner, much clearer screen and better build quality.

Still though, we're not comparing ferraris to lamborginis.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:29 PM   #148
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post

You also forgot: lighter, thinner, much clearer screen and better build quality.

Still though, we're not comparing ferraris to lamborginis.
I think that post from him was a guess, pre-announcement.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:31 PM   #149
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
iPhone (5?)

-low compatibility with native web browsing
What do you mean by low compatibility?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:37 PM   #150
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Quote:
What do you mean by low compatibility?
Sites that don't offer alternatives to Flash or have mobile variants. Basically being able to pull up any web site and having a desktop-like browsing experience. There's not a TON of websites that don't display properly on iOS but it's still an annoyance when I need info from one and it just can't be done on an iPhone.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote