Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default pet peeve about cell companies

Ok so my sis in law was given an Iphone 3g (her bro upgraded and gave his to her) and shes not interested in any data plan but pay as you go. She decides to sign up with Rogers but the sales guy says that even though it can do wifi she wont be able to do so unless she gets a data plan. Like WTF, whats the purpose of having wifi then? Is this common practice or should she still keep looking around? I hate crap like this, it makes me furious that they monopolize features like this.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

That guy is straight up lying to her. just so many things wrong with his statement, report him to head office for lying to a customer.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:42 PM   #3
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Thanks... thought so but i wasnt there when she went ahead with it so i couldnt grill him. She did ask about it but all he said was "if that was the case then people would be lining up" meaning getting a cheap pay as u go while using wifi. I'll call H.O. tomorrow and get this sorted, effn asswipes. Not sure what they did tho, because if i try to use wifi a msg comes up saying "to access these features you need a data plan". So unless there are options that needs to be tweaked from with in the phone, could Rogers have some sort of limit of features for pay as you go customers?

EDIT

Did some quick googling and it seems that Rogers does indeed bill for wifi on iphone 3G (not sure about newer models). They cant tell how much data you are using so they base it off of time. Seriously,

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Jun 21, 2011 at 06:56 AM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:32 AM   #4
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I thought wifi suggests it can connect to internet via a wireless internet connection.

The data plan is for 3G, which i always thought was considered different than wifi.

Wouldnt that mean you wont get data unless you are in an area with an accessible wireless hotspot?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Grannus

Grannus is still being judged by the masses

I use an Iphone 3g without a data plan just fine.
Grannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
Thanks... thought so but i wasnt there when she went ahead with it so i couldnt grill him. She did ask about it but all he said was "if that was the case then people would be lining up" meaning getting a cheap pay as u go while using wifi. I'll call H.O. tomorrow and get this sorted, effn asswipes. Not sure what they did tho, because if i try to use wifi a msg comes up saying "to access these features you need a data plan". So unless there are options that needs to be tweaked from with in the phone, could Rogers have some sort of limit of features for pay as you go customers?

EDIT

Did some quick googling and it seems that Rogers does indeed bill for wifi on iphone 3G (not sure about newer models). They cant tell how much data you are using so they base it off of time. Seriously,
Wait, what? I don't think Rogers brands the iPhones to do anything of the sort. Make sure in settings, wifi is enabled and that you're connected to a wireless network. Disable 3g, cellular data, and data roaming if need be. Then try opening a web page in safari.

Unless it's some restriction running off the SIM card (highly doubt it), there shouldn't be any monitoring or billing on wifi usage.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote