Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old May 19, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Hibernate vs standby. Which should I use?

I've been having problems with a corrupt sys file making me BSOD 3/5 of the time I boot. At times it gives me bsod on login, sometimes halfway through the desktop startup, sometimes it boots normally. I'm looking to make it so that my computer doesn't completely shut down and it saves the system and driver files without having to reload them, but also turns off almost all of the system to save power.

I'm working on trying to figure out what is causing the corruption, as the file itself seems to be my sound card driver, but an uninstall doesn't effect it it seems. So, for now, I'd like to use a makeshift solution until I can do so. Any advice? I'm using XP home edition.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 06:24 AM   #2
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

So NO one has any advice in this area?
Old May 22, 2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Andy N
Radeon R520

Andy N is still being judged by the masses

Maybe you already know this, but here's the difference:

Hibernation saves your memory to the hard disk and switches off the PC. When you turn it back on, the memory contents are loaded from hard disk. That means that both putting the PC into hibernation and turning it on again take some time depending on the amount of memory you have.

Standby doesn't turn the PC off, it usually just switches off hard drives and displays, so it has to be powered but the transitions are very fast.
Andy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2006, 09:29 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you have a corrupt file, I would say stop using standby or hibernation all together. If the system cold boots every time no problems, then it's the power off status/transition that is cause the problems.

A bit more info on what the hardware and drivers are would get you more responses, probably.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N
Maybe you already know this, but here's the difference:

Hibernation saves your memory to the hard disk and switches off the PC. When you turn it back on, the memory contents are loaded from hard disk. That means that both putting the PC into hibernation and turning it on again take some time depending on the amount of memory you have.

Standby doesn't turn the PC off, it usually just switches off hard drives and displays, so it has to be powered but the transitions are very fast.
I don't mind turnign it on, but what I want to know is which one saves the driver files so it doesn't reload them. Until I can find out what the problem is with my dirvers, I'm trying to keep it on but with as little power consumed as possible.

the driver that is causing the problems is TBCWDM.sys I believe. Half the time I reboot or boot into the desktop it gives me a BSOD with this file being the problem. It's the driver to my santa cruz sound card far as I can tell, but reinstalling the driver doesn't do anything.
Old May 22, 2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

System specs and driver revisions would be helpful.
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Try this... Sync your watch to your PC clock. Next time you get the BSOD, note the time. When you finally boot up, run the Event Viewer (Start > Run > Eventvwr). Look through the logs (all categories), see if anything suspicious was recorded at the time of the BSOD. Double click the entry, jot down anything useful, and then go pay a visit to the Google gods.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote