Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 28, 2020, 03:44 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I am going to try out some 1440P gaming on this damn thing and see what's up.

And?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2020, 07:10 PM   #62
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I still need to try some 1440P gaming on this and see what’s up.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2020, 05:00 AM   #63
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ok I tried Anthem on 1440P @ 120 Hz and man it was fun. Apart from the downside of using a controller everything worked perfect. HDR was crisp, full AA made sure that game was looking great and the FPS counter was working as it should. Game looked great and no input lag at all. Couldn’t tell a single difference.

I am going to try MW at 1440P and BFV next in the evening. Apart from downside of using a controller I don’t see any worry of using 1440P on a 4K screen. It can only go up wards from here. I don’t even know if some sort of upscaling is happening but whatever it is, it is awesome.

Meanwhile I also am ordering LG C9 65 for my bed room. It was slightly higher than I wanted to pay but I said what the hell. I will move my 65 QLED to downstairs kids game room.

Last edited by KAC : Jun 29, 2020 at 05:15 AM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 1, 2020, 03:49 AM   #64
KAC
That postcount though...

Played MW at 1440P on the LG TV. Great output. Couldn't tell the difference tbh at 1440P @ 4K. No smudging or other Vaseline nonsense.

Played Forza 7 at 4K with HDR but then TV goes back to 60 Hz. However, FPS were around 100+ (when unlimited) not sure what is going on but didn't get any tearing or missed frames or any other noticeable issues. Ran great.

I think it is a great addition and can't wait to see what this puppy can do with 2.1 support proper. Starting to enjoy this TV more and more and glad I ordered a C9 for bedroom as well. Can't wait to push through some PS4 games like HZD, LoU2 and Days Gone on an OLED. Given I had a QLED in there before so it should be a good comparison to see what's what.

I do think the reflections are annoying af though and I need to do something about it.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 09:56 AM   #65
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Wow, surprising. How far away are you sitting?

I tried a bunch of games at 1440P on my Sony 900F and it was disgusting. I could immediately tell the difference and couldn't switch it back to 4k fast enough.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:01 PM   #66
KAC
That postcount though...

I was about 1.5 M away or less. I did have to reduce in built sharpness to 0 to get the perfect picture because at value of 10 I could see some softness in text only not noticeable in gaming.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 09:15 PM   #67
KAC
That postcount though...

It seems that the C9 OLED only does 60 Hz @ 4K with Gsync. Thinking about cancelling my order and waiting it out for a cheaper CX instead. Wdygt?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 09:49 PM   #68
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
It seems that the C9 OLED only does 60 Hz @ 4K with Gsync. Thinking about cancelling my order and waiting it out for a cheaper CX instead. Wdygt?
The C9 has HDMI 2.1 at 48GB.

The CX has HDMI 2.1 at 40GB.

That extra 8GB get you 12Bit HDR at 120Hz. The CX is only capable of 10Bit HDR at 120Hz.

This is once new GPU's are released that have HDMI 2.1.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:08 PM   #69
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

12 bit vs 10bit doesn't matter when the display itself is 10bit
Old Jul 2, 2020, 01:08 AM   #70
KAC
That postcount though...

I see so it will work at 120 Hz with 4K but only when I have a HDMI 2.1 output which I don’t.

The CX works with HDMI 2.0 so got confused. Ok keeping the order for now. For 1650 bucks it was hard to pass up. Not sure when CX will be that price.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 01:27 AM   #71
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I see so it will work at 120 Hz with 4K but only when I have a HDMI 2.1 output which I don’t.

The CX works with HDMI 2.0 so got confused. Ok keeping the order for now. For 1650 bucks it was hard to pass up. Not sure when CX will be that price.
next year after the newer one C11 is out
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 01:41 AM   #72
KAC
That postcount though...

lol yeah.Btw C9 also has native Dolby Atmos which they took out from CX. Wtf?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:00 AM   #73
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
How does a TV have native Dolby Atmos?

Does it have upward firing speakers or something or encode the object based audio to output to another device?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:15 AM   #74
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
How does a TV have native Dolby Atmos?

Does it have upward firing speakers or something or encode the object based audio to output to another device?
Pass through decoder? Don't make sense that a TV would have it.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:10 AM   #75
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I'm selling my nearly new OLED55E9 btw.

I liked it so much I upgraded to the 65" before LG stopped making them. The E9 model (with On-Glass picture, Atmos sound, and HDMI 2.1) was not refreshed in 2020. Compared to the CX line (2020 version) the E9 was still technically superior. It also has a built in soundbar that sounds pretty good for tv sound. It emulates surround really well for what it is.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:44 AM   #76
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Pass through decoder? Don't make sense that a TV would have it.
Yeah, I'm genuinely curious how it works. Makes no sense to output to a receiver, since it would decode it too. Only thing I can think of is the TV outputting the decoded signal to a sound bar that doesn't have it's own processor, but has limited atmos functionality.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 02:00 PM   #77
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Yeah, I'm genuinely curious how it works. Makes no sense to output to a receiver, since it would decode it too. Only thing I can think of is the TV outputting the decoded signal to a sound bar that doesn't have it's own processor, but has limited atmos functionality.
Yeah, that would kinda work.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 02:28 PM   #78
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Atmos with anything less than dedicated speakers for it - not atmos.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 03:01 PM   #79
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:

Btw - No idea what you're talking about - Dolby Atmos is supported on the CX.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 03:19 PM   #80
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Atmos decoding is probably just for compatibility sake. So it can handle and decode it when encountered.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 03:34 PM   #81
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

they pushed a new CX update
Quote:
LG CX 3.10.20 update adds freesync premium
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/commen...esync_premium/
Old Jul 2, 2020, 06:20 PM   #82
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

One last 65" open Box C9 at Microcenter. Probably wouldn't get it much cheaper then the $1450 they are asking but just cant pull the trigger, figured someone would have today but they haven't. Guessing it was the floor model which I dont know that I would want.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2020, 09:59 PM   #83
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
One last 65" open Box C9 at Microcenter. Probably wouldn't get it much cheaper then the $1450 they are asking but just cant pull the trigger, figured someone would have today but they haven't. Guessing it was the floor model which I dont know that I would want.
Floor model will be like a box of chocolates.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:21 PM   #84
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Burn in is always a problem with OLED and floor models, although from what I have read LG will usually replace the panel if that’s the case.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2020, 03:20 AM   #85
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
QLED vs OLED.. I'd take OLED every time.
Yeh I have 2 QLED's here, a 7 and an 8 series, and while they do look great, I really only bought them because they're cheaper than OLED. OLED does look fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
What Acroig said...

Are you forced to use 8 bit 4-2-0 for 120hz?

If you want HDR (10 bit) do you have to run at 60hz??
Old Jul 3, 2020, 03:42 AM   #86
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh I have 2 QLED's here, a 7 and an 8 series, and while they do look great, I really only bought them because they're cheaper than OLED. OLED does look fantastic.

seems to be unchangeable for me

but the limit maybe the 2080 ti's hdmi 2.0b
Old Jul 3, 2020, 05:42 AM   #87
KAC
That postcount though...

I finally got around to punching through BFV at 1440P @ 120 Hz w/ HDR. My word it looks 10X better than PS4 at 4K checkerboard or whatever resolution gimmicks they use to get it to even display 4K. Add to that smooth fps (wasn't using DXR/DX12 or RTX) and it just was a lot of fun. Will take a while to get used to shooting w/ an XBX controller but for now without a dedicated screen setup it works well.

About the color bits etc, honestly don't care. For me the smooth fps, no input lag and 120 Hz Gsync is all I need. I tried 4K and then reverted back to 1440P and all I noticed was my fps shoot up. Definitely the TV is doing some magic upscaling. Honestly, I can't tell for a minute any form of resolution issues with the distance I sit at.

This screen is quite possibly the best thing I have purchased in gaming in a while. I now rate this purchase a solid 9/10. Once I throw in a desk proper and mouse/keyboard combo, I think my eyes will bleed with such high resolution gaming on a big screen.

Can't wait for my C9 to show up for bedroom viewing
Old Jul 3, 2020, 06:48 AM   #88
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post

Until we get HDMI 2.1 graphic cards - limited to 3840x2160 60hz 4-2-2 10bit. Dropping to 8bit and playing HDR content results in less than stellar image quality. Been playing Gears of War 5 at 3840x2160 60hz 4:2:2 10bit and it looks amazing. The 60hz refresh rate isnt bothering me at all - I think the OLEDS instant pixel response is part of that. That being said, non-HDR games look stunning at 3840x2160 120hz 4:2:0 8bit. Truly game changing.

As far as 1440P 120Hz goes - yeah it looks ugly to me. Run Assassin's Creed Origin's benchmark or Division 2's benchmark and you can see massive aliasing in the distance. Something which is not present at native 4k. Upscaling is one thing but it will never fix aliasing that is resolved with a 4k resolution.

Last edited by Dave : Jul 3, 2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 07:03 AM   #89
KAC
That postcount though...

Not seeing any aliasing here. Runs fine for me since I have AA cranked up similar to what I am used to doing in 1440P games. Maybe sitting a bit farther has that benefit.

Fired up RDR 2 and damn it looks perfect compared to X1X where I played and finished it. Going to try some more games soon. Think once I have a better omgrafix I can actually crank 4K proper.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 06:18 PM   #90
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

As far as 1440P 120Hz goes - yeah it looks ugly to me. Run Assassin's Creed Origin's benchmark or Division 2's benchmark and you can see massive aliasing in the distance. Something which is not present at native 4k. Upscaling is one thing but it will never fix aliasing that is resolved with a 4k resolution.
This is what happened on my Sony 900F as well. The aliasing and softer image using 1440P was immediately obvious. I don't know how it couldn't be the same on KAC's TV. But if he can't see it, all the better. I wish I couldn't.