Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jun 10, 2019, 07:58 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Navi is looking better than I thought... Is that MS gamepass include 100 free games or just access to them?

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2019, 08:19 PM   #122
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Navi is looking better than I thought... Is that MS gamepass include 100 free games or just access to them?
Quote:
AMD bundles 3 months of Xbox Game Pass PC with Radeon RX 5700 GPUs
https://www.windowscentral.com/amd-b...n-rx-5700-gpus

it's new I think but I found that it is 10 bucks a month

so a 30 buck giveaway

…...
was really hoping for a rx 5800 and rx 5900 something close to a 2080 ti but faster than a 2080

and no word on HDMI 2.1 so most likely it's a no
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2019, 08:24 PM   #123
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Oh ok a timed freebee on a library of games. Cool.

The features shown on the stream are nice but seem to be software based. I wonder how many of the new features are navi only or can be used by vega/polaris...

Tho it didnt have RT and we didnt see much in the way of reflections the games shown looked awesome... lighting and shadows and detailed textures... and the wind/physics in Ghost Recons was pretty cool.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Last edited by pax : Jun 10, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 10, 2019, 08:36 PM   #124
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I don't think the RX 5700 will even beat my 3 year old 1080 ti strix

now if crossfire still worked I would grab two
but of note they never even said the word crossfire
Old Jun 10, 2019, 08:54 PM   #125
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Well to be fair they did do a wide comparison of games with current nvidia cards in their price brackets. I thought we'd just see a few choice games shown.

Kind of scary how well a 36/2300 cu card can do vs my vega 64/4096 cu. They really did have to fix some stuff in the graphics pipeline.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 11, 2019, 02:04 AM   #126
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

Congrats to amd on their 7nm/rdna/navi/FidelityFx/ImageSharpening breakthroughs.

Looking forward to how well it competes with cards released 3 years ago.
Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2019, 04:30 AM   #127
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Super gonna poo-poo on Navi launch.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 08:26 AM   #128
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0Griever View Post
Congrats to amd on their 7nm/rdna/navi/FidelityFx/ImageSharpening breakthroughs.

Looking forward to how well it competes with cards released 3 years ago.
Radeon RX 5700XT Vintage Edition. Do you remember when graphics cards ran hotter than the sun and louder than a jet airplane? AMD remembers.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2019, 05:11 PM   #129
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

So here's the crux according to anandtech..."Looking at the AMD product stack then, the new Radeon 5700 cards are an interesting addition to AMD’s lineup. They will remain below the Radeon VII as AMD’s fastest card – the Vega derivative is still a tier above – but they are supplanting the Vega 64/56 and then some. According to AMD’s own data, the 5700 XT is on average 14% faster than the Vega 64, and closer to 30% faster than the Vega 56."

Wow 14% faster on a lower node than my Vega 64 after nearly two years for $£449 which is what I paid for my Vega 64 AMD are taking the p**s. At $£249 maybe but at that price I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole Massive disappointment and I bet the launch edition drivers will be sh*t just like Fury/Vega/Radeon 7 they don't have the software engineers to make really decent drivers which is why I'm still on 18.12.1.1. Plus Vega cards won't even feature in future driver updates it'll all be about Navi.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2019, 09:33 PM   #130
pax
Rage3D Spammer

It has almost half the shaders but beats my vega 64...They are close in transistor counts tho. Im impressed and can only wonder what happens when they ramp up to a bigger chip with more shaders in the 4000 or more range...

Id buy the vapor-x or toxic of the 5700xt at 300$... but at 450 its too much just to beat my vega 64 slightly.

Maybe we'll get a nice little price war...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 12, 2019, 04:01 AM   #131
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Navi Radeon Display Engine and Multimedia Engine Detailed
Quote:
The HDMI implementation remains HDMI 2.0.

https://www.techpowerup.com/256481/a...ngine-detailed

hard pass .
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:11 AM   #132
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Navi was developed and finished design long ago and HDMI 2.1 came in and finalized recently.

and also
Quote:
PCIe 4.0, DSC compression, a new video engine, and more
AMD has made in Navi also changes away from the actual architecture. So, Navi supports DisplayPort 1.4 including the DSC compression, which allows a cable for for example 8K-Auflösung at 60 Hz is sufficient. Thus Navi with Turing draws equal, because the predecessor Vega dominated DisplayPort 1.4 only without DSC. The HDMI standard but it remains b in the version 2.0. According to AMD, Navi was advanced for an integration of HDMI 2.1 late in development as the final specifications have been posted.
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-06/...on-rx-5700-xt/

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:42 AM   #133
pax
Rage3D Spammer

My mon needs display port to run 4k/60. So if a custom model can up that speed a bit more past 2 ghz and the game clock and give me 20-30% above vega64 I might grab one on sale.

But that will come some time after the cpu upgrade... The 1700x to anything ryzen 3k should be a great upgrade.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:49 AM   #134
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
My mon needs display port to run 4k/60. So if a custom model can up that speed a bit more past 2 ghz and the game clock and give me 20-30% above vega64 I might grab one on sale.

But that will come some time after the cpu upgrade... The 1700x to anything ryzen 3k should be a great upgrade.
Yeah, displayport is more preferable to use. I never understand why would anyone want to use HDMI that belong to TV? I use the monitors.

I can see from my 1700X to 3700X or 3900X for me though.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:37 PM   #135
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Yeah, displayport is more preferable to use. I never understand why would anyone want to use HDMI that belong to TV? I use the monitors.

I can see from my 1700X to 3700X or 3900X for me though.
displayport has link failures and doesn't like longer cables

because HDMI 2.1 will do up to 4k/120 and DP won't till 1.5 and it is MIA

and LG has a 4K TV's that is 2.1 now and VRR now

and samsung has a lot with 2.0 but with freesync and 1 with 2.1 and freesync in 55 & 65 inch

and none have DP

and no one makes a 4k freesync monitor over a postage stamp 32 inch

I have a 40 inch 4k monitor now and want bigger and freesync

and with both xbox scarlett & PlayStation 5 both coming in next year with HDMI 2.1 I think there will be good big TV's but few or no big monitors

Last edited by bill dennison : Jun 12, 2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 01:36 PM   #136
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Been reading that drivers with raytracing DXR support are coming but will be shader based. Fine by me I just want reflections and we already saw what the vega 56 can do with the latest crytek engine. I dont see lighting as all that much better most of the time or shadows than raster methods both of which I can max out with little impact on fps on the vega 64...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 13, 2019, 04:13 AM   #137
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Think I might grab one for my HTPC - My TV has Freesync support.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:35 PM   #138
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yay AMD came out with another irrelevant card.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2019, 02:50 PM   #139
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2019, 03:17 PM   #140
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
At least it's not another re-re-re-refresh of the RX480 like the 580, 580X, and 590.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2019, 04:14 PM   #141
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
So you think the 2080ti is a relevant card which caters for about 0.5% of gamers? I'd bet Navi outsells it by the bucket load because mainstream is where the sales are not enthusiast cards where they're milking the early adopter suckers. Each to their own I guess but without the mainstream sales neither company would still be in business.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2019, 05:57 PM   #142
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
So you think the 2080ti is a relevant card which caters for about 0.5% of gamers? I'd bet Navi outsells it by the bucket load because mainstream is where the sales are not enthusiast cards where they're milking the early adopter suckers. Each to their own I guess but without the mainstream sales neither company would still be in business.
yep all those mainstream Navi PS5's & Xbox Scarlett's are going to sell by the crap ton load more than this
hell I may even buy a PS5

the 1080 ti was a relevant card 2+ years ago and this isn't going to even beat that this year that is just sad .
if crossfire still worked it wouldn't matter as much as a Navi x2 card would be a killer at 4k

maybe the Navi 20 next year will be a relevant card

this so called "mainstream" card isn't going to be mush faster than those new game consoles if at all since they are billed at 4k/60 and this is billed at a 1440p card
so why spend all the cash on a PC system when it is not much faster than a PS5 or Scarlett at 499
Old Jun 20, 2019, 06:49 PM   #143
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Wonder if we have to wait a year for Navi 20 as there is a listing for a Navi 21P in Linux, P as in for performance already.

https://www.techradar.com/news/more-...a-linux-driver

Quote:
We recently heard a rumor that up to five AMD Navi graphics cards would come to market, via a leaked certification. Well, it looks like that may be true, if recent code spotted in a Linux driver update is any indication.

These potential GPUs were spotted by none other than famed PC hardware leaker TUM_APISAK, in a Linux update commit that has since been taken down. Luckily, there are screenshots, which hint at four new Navi GPUs, one of which is labeled as "NV_Unknown" – spooky.

APISAK
@TUM_APISAK
NV_NAVI10_P_A0 = 1,
NV_NAVI12_P_A0 = 10,
NV_NAVI14_M_A0 = 20,
NV_NAVI21_P_A0 = 40,
NV_NAVI10_LITE_P_A0 = 0x80,
NV_NAVI10_LITE_P_B0 = 0x81,
NV_NAVI12_LITE_P_A0 = 0x82,
NV_NAVI21_LITE_P_A0 = 0x90,
NV_UNKNOWN = 0xFFhttps://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/commit/?h=amd-staging-drm-next-navi10&id=019d9cdfd8a698762897a856f4c37f6a0b149d00 …
Quote:
We could see a full lineup spring up out of Navi, with the NV_Navi 12 and NV_Navi 14 potentially being entry level to mid-range graphics cards, potentially competing with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti and GTX 1650.

But, what's curious is the NV_Navi 21. We could see something like a Radeon RX 5800 series occupying the high end. But might AMD replace its existing AMD Radeon VII with a Navi GPU?

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 21, 2019, 05:18 PM   #144
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
So here's the crux according to anandtech..."Looking at the AMD product stack then, the new Radeon 5700 cards are an interesting addition to AMD’s lineup. They will remain below the Radeon VII as AMD’s fastest card – the Vega derivative is still a tier above – but they are supplanting the Vega 64/56 and then some. According to AMD’s own data, the 5700 XT is on average 14% faster than the Vega 64, and closer to 30% faster than the Vega 56."

Wow 14% faster on a lower node than my Vega 64 after nearly two years for $£449 which is what I paid for my Vega 64 AMD are taking the p**s. At $£249 maybe but at that price I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole Massive disappointment and I bet the launch edition drivers will be sh*t just like Fury/Vega/Radeon 7 they don't have the software engineers to make really decent drivers which is why I'm still on 18.12.1.1. Plus Vega cards won't even feature in future driver updates it'll all be about Navi.
It's actually probably more like the same speed as a properly tuned Vega 64. V64 is ridiculously overvolted out of the box. If you reduce the voltage from 1200mv to say 1000mv, you actually gain a large amount of performance. At 950mv my V64 performs about 20% faster than at stock. And if I give it more power I can squeeze even a bit more performance out of it, although it comes with a big drop in efficiency so I don't really bother with it. (It's possible I got a golden sample though.)

All the same, if Navi is actually offering reasonable performance out of the box, without having to retune the entire power table yourself, that's still a substantial improvement for the average customer.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2019, 05:21 PM   #145
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
It has almost half the shaders but beats my vega 64...They are close in transistor counts tho. Im impressed and can only wonder what happens when they ramp up to a bigger chip with more shaders in the 4000 or more range...

Id buy the vapor-x or toxic of the 5700xt at 300$... but at 450 its too much just to beat my vega 64 slightly.

Maybe we'll get a nice little price war...
Have you tried undervolting your Vega yet? If not, you really should try it. It's true, you actually gain performance by lowering the voltage. V64 just ends up being power/heat limited, and if you crank the voltage down you can usually get more performance out of it at the same power consumption.

Like Ryzen, Vega hits a huge voltage wall, so having the higher voltage doesn't even really help with hitting higher frequencies. You end up burning so much power that you end up getting power/heat limited and don't end up clocking higher.

I really don't understand what AMD's engineers were even thinking, setting Vega's default voltage to 1200mv. They should have dropped back to 1100mv at a bare minimum (almost has no affect on clockspeeds, but a huge one on power consumption/heat, which then ironically translates back into higher clockspeeds). I'd actually say that out of the box Vega is a bad product, that oddly can be turned back into a decent one by proper voltage tuning.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 05:26 PM   #146
Nagorak

Quote:
yep all those mainstream Navi PS5's & Xbox Scarlett's are going to sell by the crap ton load more than this
hell I may even buy a PS5

the 1080 ti was a relevant card 2+ years ago and this isn't going to even beat that this year that is just sad .
if crossfire still worked it wouldn't matter as much as a Navi x2 card would be a killer at 4k

maybe the Navi 20 next year will be a relevant card

this so called "mainstream" card isn't going to be mush faster than those new game consoles if at all since they are billed at 4k/60 and this is billed at a 1440p card
so why spend all the cash on a PC system when it is not much faster than a PS5 or Scarlett at 499
The 1080 Ti was an $800 card, this one is only $500. That's always how it works with graphics cards.

Besides, it sounds like Navi is being priced to be competitive with Nvidia's line-up. So we can pretty much thank Nvidia for setting the precedent by giving us a new generation with no improvement in perf/$ at all. AMD is clearly happy to go along with that and make more money.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 07:40 PM   #147
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The 1080 Ti was an $800 card, this one is only $500. That's always how it works with graphics cards.

Besides, it sounds like Navi is being priced to be competitive with Nvidia's line-up. So we can pretty much thank Nvidia for setting the precedent by giving us a new generation with no improvement in perf/$ at all. AMD is clearly happy to go along with that and make more money.
yes the old high end becomes the mid range
that was fine when they had something above the mid range 1440p card

but they have no high end 4k card

and this is only 459 with a game and a better cooler and most likely faster
https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-...-270-_-Product
Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:18 PM   #148
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Have you tried undervolting your Vega yet? If not, you really should try it. It's true, you actually gain performance by lowering the voltage. V64 just ends up being power/heat limited, and if you crank the voltage down you can usually get more performance out of it at the same power consumption.

Like Ryzen, Vega hits a huge voltage wall, so having the higher voltage doesn't even really help with hitting higher frequencies. You end up burning so much power that you end up getting power/heat limited and don't end up clocking higher.

I really don't understand what AMD's engineers were even thinking, setting Vega's default voltage to 1200mv. They should have dropped back to 1100mv at a bare minimum (almost has no affect on clockspeeds, but a huge one on power consumption/heat, which then ironically translates back into higher clockspeeds). I'd actually say that out of the box Vega is a bad product, that oddly can be turned back into a decent one by proper voltage tuning.
I certainly did manually at first then the driver took care of it and I top out at 221w load now with same boost clocks ~1600 mhz.

Mind you the chip is hot under load at 86C with that blower cooler.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:23 PM   #149
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
yes the old high end becomes the mid range
that was fine when they had something above the mid range 1440p card

but they have no high end 4k card

and this is only 459 with a game and a better cooler and most likely faster
https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-...-270-_-Product
Ill wait for aftermarket cooler ones like the vapor chamber Saphirre. I expect 2 ghz boost out of it. I also think we are due for a price war. Both of them will have to drop those prices.

5700xt at the current price is like the 1660ti at its price. Makes little sense. But it hits 350$ on sale and itll sell.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:16 PM   #150
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
A surprising leak came from Komachi on Twitter. Apparently Sapphire is *preparing* quite a few Radeon RX 5000 models:

RX 5950XT *, * RX 5950 *, * RX 5900XT *, * RX 5900 *, * RX 5850XT *, * RX 5850 *,* RX 5800XT *, * RX 5800 *, * RX 5750XT *, * RX 5750 *, * RX 5700XT *, * RX 5700 *, * RX 5650XT *, * RX 5650 *, * RX 5600XT *, * RX 5600 *, * RX 5550XT *, * RX 5550 *, * RX 5500XT *, * RX 5500 *, *RX590XT*, * RX 590

We suspect that these are just placeholders. Sapphire simply registered all possible trademarks to save time. It seems very unlikely that Radeon RX 5000 series would feature that many SKUs. AMD has not released this many cards in a very long time.

However, it is possible that AMD still has something to say in the high-end and enthusiast market segments. There had to be a reason why AMD did not name the Navi10-based models as RX 5900 or RX 5800. A dual-GPU RX 5950XT anyone?
Ties in with the Navi 21 and 12 and 14 registry we saw earlier.

https://videocardz.com/newz/sapphire...wHwdzKhPYmZ1rQ

www.realitysandwich.com