Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Mar 17, 2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Official PlayStation 5 thread

Quote:
Tomorrow at 9am Pacific Time, PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny will provide a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture, and how it will shape the future of games.

Watch tomorrow at PlayStation Blog: https://blog.us.playstation.com
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...84910812450816
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:35 AM   #2
alitayyab
EGS is the future

alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

slightly weaker (GPU) rated performance as compared to the next X.
With both m$ and Sony looking towards PC as a viable second market for their exclusives Sony must be looking (gunning for) at a significant price advantage against the next X.
Ali#1317
ali_tayyab
Game Endings
Core i7-9700K @5.0GHz + Noctua NH-D15S || Asus Z390-H || 16 GB RAM || Zotac GTX 1080Ti Amp Extreme Core Ed || Antec HCP-1000 PSU || Corsair AIR 540
Core i5-6700K || AsRock H110M-itx || 16 GB RAM || Integrated Audio/Video || Corsair CX430 || Cooler Master Elite 120
alitayyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitayyab View Post
slightly weaker (GPU) rated performance as compared to the next X.
With both m$ and Sony looking towards PC as a viable second market for their exclusives Sony must be looking (gunning for) at a significant price advantage against the next X.
Maybe we'll know more later Horrordee.

Whoops!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Loved the talk about 3D audio. It kinda came off like they where reinventing the wheel.... but it sounded really promising and I can't wait to hear it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:01 PM   #5
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The PS5 better be at least 50-100 cheaper.

Also it doesn't have 100% backwards compatibility with the PS4, they tested 100 popular titles and most worked, some too fast.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:03 PM   #6
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Loved the talk about 3D audio. It kinda came off like they where reinventing the wheel.... but it sounded really promising and I can't wait to hear it.
Xbox one has 3D audio for headphones, plus you can test it on PC with supported games with DTS Sound Unbound (14 day trial) and get 3D spatial audio using only Stereo headphones.

For non supported games with 5.1 or whatever, they get converted but the naitive Dolby support is much better.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:16 PM   #7
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I expected it to be more powerful than the x, but seems they went the more affordable route with their hardware this time around.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:30 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

That part was cool, but we have that now. The talk about actual 3D audio, that was using RayTracing to get highly accurate sound is what got me excited.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:51 PM   #9
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
That part was cool, but we have that now. The talk about actual 3D audio, that was using RayTracing to get highly accurate sound is what got me excited.
This is only for surround sound systems or also headphones? I ask because getting surround in my setup is impossible lol

Old Mar 18, 2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

The Raytraced 3D audio should be speaker setup agnostic. Sony's own HRTF being mostly headphone centric at the moment. They also said it's working with stereo speaker setups, but has sweet spotting. Also sounds like HRTF for home theatre setups may happen later down the line.

EuroGamer - Digital Foundry has a pretty good article up based on the video
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ext-gen-vision

Kinda sounds like this " Tempest Engine" is an evolution of AMD's TrueAudio.

System:
Old Mar 18, 2020, 05:16 PM   #11
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Fascinating stuff, and Mark Cerny is the best in the business. Hopefully he'll continue to design hardware for Sony for years to come.

Interesting to see how similar PS5 & xbox series x solutions are. Ryzen+RDNA with some additional hardware optimizations, dedicated audio processing chips, SSD utilization with lots of novel strategies to make the most of the system's RAM. Expandable SSD storage options, plus ability to backup games on an older harddrive. I suppose alot of this is pretty obvious, but it's nice to see anyway.

One big difference was that Cerny emphasized PS5 using variable frequencies, while MS emphasized static frequencies... both seem to be claiming advantages over the other.

Still some outstanding questions remaining:
  • Will Sony and/or MS be launching rumored cheaper lower-spec models?
  • Will PS5 VR support inside-out tracking & wireless capabilities? Will MS eventually support VR goggles at all? (I'd love to see MS support 3rd party PC VR goggles).
  • How strongly will Sony & MS push for using consoles with m+k controls to replace PC gaming?
  • Will either next-gen console be able to launch on time?
  • Will there be enough games that star non-cis women of color?
  • Price.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that not PS4 games are bc supported... Hopefully the small % that are not supported at launch will be supported later on with software updates? I assume the most popular PS4 games will get updated to take advantage of PS5's capabilities.

'Sounds like the rumors of bc support for PS2/PS3 games was not true... unless Sony is waiting for surprise reveals later? I'm sure Sony will be happy to sell you new HD remasters of the same PS2 games again though!

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580

Last edited by SubCog : Mar 18, 2020 at 05:24 PM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 06:25 PM   #12
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Wallet will go empty this year, XBOX series X, PS5, New Video Card, 2K or more gone. Video Card will not be one of the Ti versions at $1500.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 08:16 PM   #13
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Wallet will go empty this year, XBOX series X, PS5, New Video Card, 2K or more gone. Video Card will not be one of the Ti versions at $1500.
If you're still PC gaming, I don't see the value in getting an xbox since all their exclusives come to PC now.

If not then xbox seems to be the winner this new gen in terms of performance.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:03 PM   #14
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
If you're still PC gaming, I don't see the value in getting an xbox since all their exclusives come to PC now.

Yeah, I can't see the point of XBox at all any more. Unless you want to game at close to 4k and not pay the cost of doing it on PC. Otherwise yeah...they share all the games.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:06 PM   #15
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post

You could be right, I could just keep my Xbox One X and use that for my BC of all my games. And just buy the next great Video Card and use my Xbox game Pass on my PC.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2020, 06:17 PM   #16
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

So PS5's ssd is 5.5gb/s, compared to xbox series x 2.4gb/s. https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/2...s-release-date Cerny says levels will load in 1 second on PS5... I guess that means levels will load in 2 seconds on xbox?

The Digital Foundry guys were speculating that the SSD may be fast enough that they might be able to render textures directly from the SSD without having to use RAM... or at least be ultra-optimized for just the textures you're seeing on screen.

Makes me think about Carmack's megatexture tech, which is basically dead now. Maybe it was just way ahead of it's time?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 19, 2020, 07:40 PM   #17
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
So PS5's ssd is 5.5gb/s, compared to xbox series x 2.4gb/s. https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/2...s-release-date Cerny says levels will load in 1 second on PS5... I guess that means levels will load in 2 seconds on xbox?
Sounds like theoretical mumbo jumbo really. In the real world I'd wager there's not going to be much difference, if any, between the two in that regard. PCIE 4.0 level SSD speeds are a pretty significant expense over 3.0. I can't help but think that particular investment is misplaced.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2020, 08:32 PM   #18
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
Sounds like theoretical mumbo jumbo really. In the real world I'd wager there's not going to be much difference, if any, between the two in that regard. PCIE 4.0 level SSD speeds are a pretty significant expense over 3.0. I can't help but think that particular investment is misplaced.
Having watched a couple tech demos with games from the current gen not optimized, it's a night and day difference already.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2020, 09:07 PM   #19
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Having watched a couple tech demos with games from the current gen not optimized, it's a night and day difference already.
What are these tech demos and what exactly is being tested/compared?
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
Old Mar 19, 2020, 09:19 PM   #20
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
What are these tech demos and what exactly is being tested/compared?
Here's one.

https://youtu.be/0eBaPS3uj-A
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Mar 19, 2020, 09:33 PM   #21
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I've already seen that. It's a comparison between an old spinner hard drive and the new Series X NVME SSD.

My post above was about there being little or no real world difference between a PCIE 3 level NVME SSD and a PCIE 4 level NVME SSD. This holds true for pretty much everything except specific sustained sequential workloads that you'll never see with gaming.

It's a no-brainer for both next gen consoles to include NVME SSD's. I just think Sony's choice to go with one as fast as that wasn't the wisest decision.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 09:36 PM   #22
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
I've already seen that. It's a comparison between an old spinner hard drive and the new Series X NVME SSD.

My post above was about there being little or no real world difference between a PCIE 3 level NVME SSD and a PCIE 4 level NVME SSD. This holds true for pretty much everything except specific sustained sequential workloads that you'll never see with gaming.

It's a no-brainer for both next gen consoles to include NVME SSD's. I just think Sony's choice to go with one as fast as that wasn't the wisest decision.
Ah okay I see what you were talking about now. I misunderstood the point you were making. Apologies.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Mar 20, 2020, 05:58 AM   #23
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'm all in on the PS as far as consoles go. If the 5 has decent enough BC I might do it, but right now the 4 pro handles my console needs just fine.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 06:17 AM   #24
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Doesnt matter if the PS5 is slower than the new xbox - its down to the games at this point. The difference between those specs is not going to show a visual difference in games. PS5 has the huge advantage of Sony's exclusive titles.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:09 AM   #25
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Microsoft seems to agree with you there. Time will tell. Of course, PCIE 4.0 SSDs will become alot cheaper over time, so maybe Sony is just biting the bullet for the first year or two, and perhaps it will have long-term benefits after that.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:11 AM   #26
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I'm all in on the PS as far as consoles go. If the 5 has decent enough BC I might do it, but right now the 4 pro handles my console needs just fine.
I've said it before, that I expect both xbox & playstation to make a play to take over PC gaming. This generation has the specs to run well with m+k controls. Even if each new console costs $600, I can buy both for about what I would spend on a new gaming PC.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:15 AM   #27
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Cerny was talking about being able to load texture data faster than you can turn around and look behind you. If that's true, and devs take advantage of it, it might be a big advantage in texture quality. Instead of having to hold all of the textures in memory for a chunk of the levels, you can hold only the textures that the player is seeing on screen at that exact moment.

Of course, one can question whether texture quality is really going to be that important moving forward (as textures are already pretty sharp).

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 20, 2020, 01:41 PM   #28
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

When your in a closed system, the ability to utilize that extra bandwidth will play out. Don't forget, devs have been messing with texture streaming tech since PS2. That was pulling from a bloody DVD drive.

System:
Old Mar 20, 2020, 04:13 PM   #29
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
I've said it before, that I expect both xbox & playstation to make a play to take over PC gaming. This generation has the specs to run well with m+k controls. Even if each new console costs $600, I can buy both for about what I would spend on a new gaming PC.
It's always like that, with the exception of the current gen. Each generation the consoles are pretty powerful for what they are, but after 2 years they are already out of date (in comparison to medium-highend PC hardware).

Old Mar 20, 2020, 07:03 PM   #30
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Mark Cerny explains why he likes running higher GPU clocks. Watch from 31:37 to 33:17:

Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote