Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:00 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
settings is at High performance power plan , sleep and hibernation is disabled. The only enabled option is to turn off the monitors (2) after 5 minutes on idle.

when i wake up my monitors and start a game i see my GPU jump to 1Ghz from 500Mhz as usual but all games are like a slide show .. 11 - 20 FPS .. i have no idea what going on .. rebooting fix this ... i will try to install them again this evening

Another thing you should try is disabling VGA downclocking and see if this works...Is not the first time AMD cards don't switch to 3d mode corectly...
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:16 PM   #92
Burn
Radeon R700

Burn is still being judged by the masses

anyone is able to play Guild Wars 2 with 13.8 ?

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:00 PM   #93
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
anyone is able to play Guild Wars 2 with 13.8 ?
seems fine i logged in and walked around LA was a little laggey
i have not GW2 played in months
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:34 PM   #94
Burn
Radeon R700

Burn is still being judged by the masses

well thanks for the help. i Fixed my problem by going back to 13.6 ...

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:55 PM   #95
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnin View Post
I can put up with the 'unstable result' just fine but don't you think issues should be voiced somewhere so that a. results can be shared with others so they don't have to deal with it b. results can be confirmed with others to make sure it is an actual bug and not isolated problem on one computer c. the makers of the drivers and in this case the OS are aware of the issues?
Well, what happens is that with the beta 8.1, things are fluid--Microsoft introduces a set of patches say, on a Tuesday, and suppose that AMD rushes to make 8.1 preview driver changes to support the change--but then on the next Thursday Microsoft changes the code yet again for what they think is an even better approach, and then AMD is sent scurrying to adjust its preview drivers for this particular change--but two weeks later Microsoft does it *again* and so again AMD would have to follow suit--just to make a driver change that Microsoft can render ineffective anytime it wants by changing things during the 8.1 beta preview period. Rinse and repeat.

Realistically, that would have AMD chasing its tail in trying to get its drivers to support a moving target--which makes no sense, really. Far better for AMD to wait until Microsoft *finalizes* the 8.1 code and releases it as a final patch that is no longer a beta or preview--at that point AMD would have a stable release to work with. When the 8.1 code stabilizes and is released then AMD will have no trouble supporting it--but right now during the beta period for 8.1, it could be a moving target.

I'm running the 8.1 installation on a separate partition just to monkey around with as Microsoft keeps changing and polishing, and I'm using my primary 8.0 partition for work. When the 8.1 upgrade is finalized then I can install it directly to my 8.0 installation permanently--no reinstalls necessary--which is what I'd have had to do if I had gone ahead and installed the 8.1 preview on top of my 8.0 non-beta partition--because the 8.1 preview beta cannot be uninstalled separately.

Just my two cents, YMMV... Besides, I believe we only have a few more weeks (maybe by the end of August) before the 8.1 upgrade is released as frozen, finalized code--so not long to wait! After the final code is released then--yes, of course--bug reports and so on will be important and carry lots of weight.

BTW, for what it's worth, my single 2GB 7850 has encountered no problems so far with the 13.8 betas. I still have yet to test everything, though.

Last edited by WaltC : Aug 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Add info
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:36 PM   #96
Raqia

Raqia is still being judged by the masses

I'm still encountering the intermittent problem with the system freezing after the monitor goes to sleep.
Raqia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:12 PM   #97
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I was getting a weird pulsating image problem in firefox, rolled back to 13.5 beta 2 and it has gone away.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:13 PM   #98
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
I was getting a weird pulsating image problem in firefox, rolled back to 13.5 beta 2 and it has gone away.
Did you try to turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox?

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:08 AM   #99
SuperBORG
Radeon R420

SuperBORG is still being judged by the masses

Does anyone know why this won't install on 6970 with Windows 8.1? I am getting not detected.
SuperBORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:39 AM   #100
casnin

casnin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltC View Post
Well, what happens is that with the beta 8.1, things are fluid--Microsoft introduces a set of patches say, on a Tuesday, and suppose that AMD rushes to make 8.1 preview driver changes to support the change--but then on the next Thursday Microsoft changes the code yet again for what they think is an even better approach, and then AMD is sent scurrying to adjust its preview drivers for this particular change--but two weeks later Microsoft does it *again* and so again AMD would have to follow suit--just to make a driver change that Microsoft can render ineffective anytime it wants by changing things during the 8.1 beta preview period. Rinse and repeat.

Realistically, that would have AMD chasing its tail in trying to get its drivers to support a moving target--which makes no sense, really. Far better for AMD to wait until Microsoft *finalizes* the 8.1 code and releases it as a final patch that is no longer a beta or preview--at that point AMD would have a stable release to work with. When the 8.1 code stabilizes and is released then AMD will have no trouble supporting it--but right now during the beta period for 8.1, it could be a moving target.

I'm running the 8.1 installation on a separate partition just to monkey around with as Microsoft keeps changing and polishing, and I'm using my primary 8.0 partition for work. When the 8.1 upgrade is finalized then I can install it directly to my 8.0 installation permanently--no reinstalls necessary--which is what I'd have had to do if I had gone ahead and installed the 8.1 preview on top of my 8.0 non-beta partition--because the 8.1 preview beta cannot be uninstalled separately.

Just my two cents, YMMV... Besides, I believe we only have a few more weeks (maybe by the end of August) before the 8.1 upgrade is released as frozen, finalized code--so not long to wait! After the final code is released then--yes, of course--bug reports and so on will be important and carry lots of weight.

BTW, for what it's worth, my single 2GB 7850 has encountered no problems so far with the 13.8 betas. I still have yet to test everything, though.
That's a nice theory but if you look through the updates released via Winupdate since the launch of the 8.1 preview, there is nothing that a person would say is 'foundational' or looks even remotely tied to video performance. This is prerelease public beta not an alpha. I could be wrong but I haven't seen a single update that looks even closely tied to video hardware performance.
casnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:09 AM   #101
The Mac
Radeon Evergreen

The Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBORG View Post
Does anyone know why this won't install on 6970 with Windows 8.1? I am getting not detected.
it doesnt work on 8.1
The Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:53 PM   #102
joe3000
Radeon R300

joe3000 is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs down

Very, very bad driver, z errors in every d3d application. Back on 13.6b2 and the Asus 7870 works line new. This is on Win7.
joe3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:21 PM   #103
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

skyrim runs like absolute crap on these @ 1920x1080 on a 7950 Crossfire setup (!)
FSX unplayable in Eyefinity fullscreen while much better in windowed mode, while it was always the other way around.
Not tested other games yet, I'm afraid I might get utterly pissed.
My two 7950's have suddenly turned into a single 3870 performance wise.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:27 PM   #104
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
skyrim runs like absolute crap on these @ 1920x1080 on a 7950 Crossfire setup (!)
FSX unplayable in Eyefinity fullscreen while much better in windowed mode, while it was always the other way around.
Not tested other games yet, I'm afraid I might get utterly pissed.
My two 7950's have suddenly turned into a single 3870 performance wise.
hmm skyrim 1600p about the same fps as before but a little smoother had one frame pop or texture pop in the middle

I can't test fsx or Eyefinity and the driver is not for Eyefinity yet

any old CAP's in ?
I had about half speed with the last cap in was 13.5 CAP1 I think

Last edited by bill dennison : Aug 7, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:48 PM   #105
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

no old CAP's in, did a complete uninstall of previous drivers using AMD's uninstall tool and everything went smooth on the surface.
I know about Eyefinity not yet taken care of but come on, even on a single screen FSX goes up 10fps and runs extremely smooth when windowed. Put it fullscreen and it's a slideshow.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:10 AM   #106
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnin View Post
That's a nice theory but if you look through the updates released via Winupdate since the launch of the 8.1 preview, there is nothing that a person would say is 'foundational' or looks even remotely tied to video performance. This is prerelease public beta not an alpha. I could be wrong but I haven't seen a single update that looks even closely tied to video hardware performance.
Until the code is stabilized and finalized, AMD has no incentive to update its preview drivers. It really is just that simple. After the final version is released and people are installing it, and pretty much everyone is running 8.1 at that time, AMD will be able to update as it needs to. Right now, in its beta state, the *whole OS is a moving target*--no sense in AMD chasing its tail. If driver support is what you're after then drop back to 8.0 until the 8.1 code is finalized and released in non-beta form. That's what I did.

Microsoft itself states plainly that it does not advise using the 8.1 beta for a person's primary OS installation. I don't know how the company can make it any plainer.

I don't see any need to hash this out further as it seems clear. I'd wager that well over 50% of all "computer problems" people have originate from imperfect expectations as to what their software is "supposed to do" versus what it does... Not to worry--only a few more weeks and this whole sad 8.1 update saga will be behind us! Thankfully!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:31 PM   #107
vizionblind
Radeon Sapphire 7950 3GB

vizionblind is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3000 View Post
Very, very bad driver, z errors in every d3d application. Back on 13.6b2 and the Asus 7870 works line new. This is on Win7.
perfectly fine driver.
vizionblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 06:23 PM   #108
The Mac
Radeon Evergreen

The Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete stranger

Works great for me too -win7 x64
The Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 05:38 AM   #109
joe3000
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizionblind View Post
perfectly fine driver.
Really? Which card/OS?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:48 AM   #110
Brutalix
Radeon R300

Brutalix is still being judged by the masses

Default Works for me as well. Increased speed in Arma 3 beta.

Gfx 6970
AMD fx 990 8350 cpu.

Windows 8.

Tested the computer in windows again just for this driver.
resolution 2560x1440

Slight increase in Arma 3. beta.

All other games that I have tried, Skyrim, DOD:Source, Metro works with no decrease or increase in speed compared to 13.6.

Kind regard
Brut.
Brutalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:00 AM   #111
Pestul
Radeon Evergreen

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

I'm generally having a great experience with this driver. The only game I don't find improved is The Witcher 2.. but that could be coding. Could also be a memory issue running the game in 1440p. I'll have to check how much vram it's using even without MSAA. Battlefield 3 is amazing with this driver. Smooth as silk.

Crossfire 5850s
W7 64bit
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE Crossflashed to WS Pro] [Xeon X5650 @4.2GHz] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [Zotac GTX970] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 3TB Toshiba] [27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:32 PM   #112
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

On my end, no problems yet with this driverset.

Occasional flickering in Crysis 2 Ultra DX11 / 7970 crossfire is now 10+ months old, i've reported it repeatedly but never was anything done about it. So it's not surprising to see that issue still there.
Apart from that, this 13.8 beta driver seems fine sofar (Crysis 2, 3, Mass Effect 2, 3, Metro Last Light, La Noire, Tomb Raider, NFS:Shift, Dark Messiah M&M).

Windows 7 x64 SP1 (+fully updated).
My PC's specs in signature and under System button.
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |

Last edited by Blín D'ñero : Aug 9, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 05:44 PM   #113
steveocrossfire
hd 6990

steveocrossfire is still being judged by the masses

this driver is fricking awesome , every game works great , bf3 is even a bit smoother , and i swear it looks better to boot received some performance increase , around 5-7 % , gpu overclocking increased also some apps/ games i'm able to run at 1500 / 1700 i'm running i7 920 @ 4.7 ghz, R2E , 12 gig 2000 mhz ram , asus reobus , xfx 1250 watt black psu , 7970 crossfire (24/7 overclock = 1350/1650 , max overclock = 1500/1700)
steveocrossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:53 AM   #114
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

not so much here. Crysis3 and Skyrim run like poo, FSX forces me to play windowed to achieve smooth frames, desktop sluggish as hell. What can I say? Two months for this? Holy hell
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #115
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Since installing these, it appears my monitor won't go to standby...or least not for very long.

I have a Screensaver setup and I've noticed that it does go to the screensaver occasionally. But, it will quit that on its own and then not go back to the screensaver.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:59 PM   #116
vizionblind
Radeon Sapphire 7950 3GB

vizionblind is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3000 View Post
Really? Which card/OS?
sapphire 7950 / windows 7 64 bit
vizionblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:48 PM   #117
Pestul
Radeon Evergreen

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveocrossfire View Post
this driver is fricking awesome , every game works great , bf3 is even a bit smoother , and i swear it looks better to boot received some performance increase , around 5-7 % , gpu overclocking increased also some apps/ games i'm able to run at 1500 / 1700 i'm running i7 920 @ 4.7 ghz, R2E , 12 gig 2000 mhz ram , asus reobus , xfx 1250 watt black psu , 7970 crossfire (24/7 overclock = 1350/1650 , max overclock = 1500/1700)
Wow @ epic overclock on that i7 920.. Seriously cannot imagine the wattage that thing is sucking.
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE Crossflashed to WS Pro] [Xeon X5650 @4.2GHz] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [Zotac GTX970] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 3TB Toshiba] [27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:53 AM   #118
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalix View Post
Gfx 6970
AMD fx 990 8350 cpu.

Windows 8.

Tested the computer in windows again just for this driver.
resolution 2560x1440

Slight increase in Arma 3. beta.

All other games that I have tried, Skyrim, DOD:Source, Metro works with no decrease or increase in speed compared to 13.6.

Kind regard
Brut.

Brut: i have a 6950 modded to 6970 and for a loong time i don't expect anything anymore for 6000.The only reason i upgrade is AMD bugs in games like flashing textures, unusual slowdowns or other things like this...Also in single cards the frame pacing was not an issue anyway.My advice don't go CF..Try to enjoy gaming and get over the fact that for 6000 series nothing will come anymore...If you really want something new my advice is get the 9000 series at launch and you will have again plenty of "fireworks" being a beta tester/guinea pig ... ..Masochists like this ... i like this too but in the recent years i prefer to spend time playing an indie instead of spending time in workarounds or getting on my nerves with hardware drivers..Is just not fun anymore for me...... :P

PS: i am still on windows 7 x64 and with 6950 i see no reason for windows 8...

Last edited by badsykes : Aug 12, 2013 at 04:56 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:20 AM   #119
joe3000
Radeon R300

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizionblind View Post
sapphire 7950 / windows 7 64 bit
I assumed, different hw/os. I have Asus 7870 & Win7 x86, and this driver is a mess.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:59 AM   #120
steveocrossfire
hd 6990

steveocrossfire is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestul View Post
Wow @ epic overclock on that i7 920.. Seriously cannot imagine the wattage that thing is sucking.
lol ya my rig at those speeds (my 920 is a world record batch # that's why it can run at those speed ), sucks a lot of power , i haven't turned my heat on in my house for over 2 years lol , my power meter says at 100 % cpu and gpu load , it's using 1150 ish watts
steveocrossfire is offline   Reply With Quote