Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:14 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Turbo_Rage3d_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
As promised.. 780Ti is gonna do some work for a few weeks.

Just fired it up. 780s really get about 200K/day?

Currently the card is running 1,045Mhz core(stock for this card). I told Erik I'd fold with this card so here it is.
Welcome Back!!
Turbo_Rage3d_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2016, 01:19 PM   #32
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Not to hate on Jima, but talk about point inflation... I remember back in the good old days of CPU-only clients with HT P4s pulling in the best WUs of the day when a certain someone on this team (dunno if he ever "came out" or not) was running 600+ clients and pushing like 100k PPD...

Edit: I remember, it was QMD (and before that Gromacs) WUs with big WUs and the -advmethods flag (I believe). And it was the infamous how??? running his 600+ P4 HT machines.

Those were the days.

Last edited by ShaidarHaran : Aug 22, 2016 at 01:43 PM.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2016, 01:28 PM   #33
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I mean, seriously... Go back to this post when the entire team hit 2 million points TOTAL (i.e. not per day) http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33681264
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 22, 2016, 06:33 PM   #34
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Not to hate on Jima, but talk about point inflation... I remember back in the good old days of CPU-only clients with HT P4s pulling in the best WUs of the day when a certain someone on this team (dunno if he ever "came out" or not) was running 600+ clients and pushing like 100k PPD...

Edit: I remember, it was QMD (and before that Gromacs) WUs with big WUs and the -advmethods flag (I believe). And it was the infamous how??? running his 600+ P4 HT machines.

Those were the days.
I remember those days also, but I also remember remarking more often than I probably should have about how the people with quads were killing my 20 single core cpus and it was pointed out to me that if I wanted their production I should get what they had. I guess my point is as the tech has advanced so have the points and to keep up I have to upgrade as I can, but I do agree those were times to remember, and these are too.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 06:35 PM   #35
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima13 View Post
Welcome back
I just checked one of the 780's and it's sitting at 254174 ppd right now.
Thanks.

The F&H server isn't sending my CPU anything to do. Hasn't for about a day now. :-\

GPU is getting stuff still. Except they are really big and take the 780 10 hours or so to finish. (I got about 158,000pts from this one work unit it says)

Last edited by Flyordie : Aug 22, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2016, 09:53 AM   #36
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Rage3d_ View Post
I remember those days also, but I also remember remarking more often than I probably should have about how the people with quads were killing my 20 single core cpus and it was pointed out to me that if I wanted their production I should get what they had. I guess my point is as the tech has advanced so have the points and to keep up I have to upgrade as I can, but I do agree those were times to remember, and these are too.
I don't make my remarks for lack of hardware, I have a brand new Pascal Titan X in my gaming machine and a 1070 in my media server, both under water and running @ over 2GHz.

Let me make my point a different way. The 600+ CPUs in How???s farm back in the day produced somewhere around 100,000 PPD, IIRC. Now a couple video cards can produce 20 times that amount? That seems disproportionate, to me. If the inflated point totals mean more useful work is getting done then fine, I won't argue against it. If the work produced now is less than it used to be though while point totals are way up then I feel like the inflated point totals obscure this.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 01:52 PM   #37
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't make my remarks for lack of hardware, I have a brand new Pascal Titan X in my gaming machine and a 1070 in my media server, both under water and running @ over 2GHz.

Let me make my point a different way. The 600+ CPUs in How???s farm back in the day produced somewhere around 100,000 PPD, IIRC. Now a couple video cards can produce 20 times that amount? That seems disproportionate, to me. If the inflated point totals mean more useful work is getting done then fine, I won't argue against it. If the work produced now is less than it used to be though while point totals are way up then I feel like the inflated point totals obscure this.
I didn't mean to imply you were making your remarks for that reason. Sweet card BTW, I'm jealous & I just got a GTX 970.

I do agree with what you are saying, isn't amazing though back then 1MB ram was like $200(ok maybe a little before then), and last week I just put 4GB ddr3 in my wife's system for under $50. Back on topic though, with the bonus point system there is now, it may lay somewhere in the middle of more work being done or being more useful(which is good for the cause) and extra points being given(which can attract more folders and be just as good for the cause). I'm just happy to be doing my part once again! (and as always it's fun to pass a few peeps while I can)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 01:59 PM   #38
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply you were making your remarks for that reason. Sweet card BTW, I'm jealous & I just got a GTX 970.

I do agree with what you are saying, isn't amazing though back then 1MB ram was like $200(ok maybe a little before then), and last week I just put 4GB ddr3 in my wife's system for under $50. Back on topic though, with the bonus point system there is now, it may lay somewhere in the middle of more work being done or being more useful(which is good for the cause) and extra points being given(which can attract more folders and be just as good for the cause). I'm just happy to be doing my part once again! (and as always it's fun to pass a few peeps while I can)
All this folding talk has made me nostalgic, I might just fire up [email protected] on the 1070 since that system runs 24x7 anyway as my Plex server.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 02:46 PM   #39
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Quote:
All this folding talk has made me nostalgic, I might just fire up [email protected] on the 1070 since that system runs 24x7 anyway as my Plex server.
I hear ya! Maybe a little premature but welcome back to the fold!!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 07:01 PM   #40
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I hear ya! Maybe a little premature but welcome back to the fold!!
No guarantees of permanency, but I'll at least try it and see how it goes.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 08:57 PM   #41
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

absolutefunk is still being judged by the masses

From Stanford's side, one huge motivation for the quick return bonus is to attract faster hardware which can complete WUs faster, allowing for completed results to be subsequently generated into new WUs quicker, decreasing the overall cycle time for a specific project. The quick return bonus also serves as an incentive for us to get passkeys, which then helps Stanford in cases where a user is caught cheating.

Hehe, can y'all imagine if How??? was folding now? 600+ 1080's... Like 300MPPD

-Brian

AXP-M 2400+ AQYHA; [email protected]
Asus A7N8X-E 1012 trats cpc=on
Crucial 1024mb PC3200; [email protected] (3-3-3-8)
Thermalright SP97 /w Delta 80mm
1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
Antec P160 /w TruePower 430w
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro
Adaptec 2490uw SCSI /w 2x Plextor CD/CD-R

Folding @ Home: the only useful way to use that extra CPU... and possible GPU... time!!
absolutefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2016, 09:01 PM   #42
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

Quote:
As promised.. 780Ti is gonna do some work for a few weeks.

Just fired it up. 780s really get about 200K/day?

Currently the card is running 1,045Mhz core(stock for this card). I told Erik I'd fold with this card so here it is.
Seeing some mad PPD popping up!

1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro

Folding @ Home: the only useful way to use that extra CPU... and possible GPU... time!!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:38 PM   #43
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutefunk View Post
From Stanford's side, one huge motivation for the quick return bonus is to attract faster hardware which can complete WUs faster, allowing for completed results to be subsequently generated into new WUs quicker, decreasing the overall cycle time for a specific project. The quick return bonus also serves as an incentive for us to get passkeys, which then helps Stanford in cases where a user is caught cheating.

Hehe, can y'all imagine if How??? was folding now? 600+ 1080's... Like 300MPPD

-Brian
Almost makes you shutter at the thought!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:39 PM   #44
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Quote:
No guarantees of permanency, but I'll at least try it and see how it goes.
Welcome back no matter how long it is!!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:18 PM   #45
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Seeing some mad PPD popping up!

Yep. Climbing the ranks fast too.. eesh.

Just cracked 2mil pts too.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:21 AM   #46
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Quote:
Yep. Climbing the ranks fast too.. eesh.

Just cracked 2mil pts too.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 09:49 AM   #47
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Quote:

Just an FYI- I do game on this PC too so PPD will fluctuate depending on when I am running games. lol. (but it folds during the day while I am at work.. soo.. it gets at least 10 hours of folding in per day.)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 04:26 PM   #48
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

Quote:
Just an FYI- I do game on this PC too so PPD will fluctuate depending on when I am running games. lol. (but it folds during the day while I am at work.. soo.. it gets at least 10 hours of folding in per day.)
That'll do nicely!

1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro

Old Aug 29, 2016, 09:43 PM   #49
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Ran into some stability issues...

I think it was driver related. Hasn't happened since I updated drivers to 8.15 WHQL version.

Although it could be power related. Was running the GTX780Ti @ 1,045Mhz and the FX8320 @ 4.0Ghz @ 1.28V. 98-100% usage on GPU and 98-99% on the CPU. Voltages under load are 12.003V, 4.98V. So not sure whats up.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:12 PM   #50
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Meanwhile, I'm at 10 million points total and about to pass Dorxtar. Now there's a blast from the past!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 03:09 PM   #51
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

Quote:
Ran into some stability issues...

I think it was driver related. Hasn't happened since I updated drivers to 8.15 WHQL version.

Although it could be power related. Was running the GTX780Ti @ 1,045Mhz and the FX8320 @ 4.0Ghz @ 1.28V. 98-100% usage on GPU and 98-99% on the CPU. Voltages under load are 12.003V, 4.98V. So not sure whats up.
With my Nano, I cannot fold and use the GPU for anything else without stability issues (at least as of May - 'may' be fixed now ). It's strictly driver related in my case. It could have been driver related for you as well.

Speaking of which, all this PPD I'm seeing from the team is sweet! Starting tmw I'll start firing up the Nano again, at least have it folding while I'm at work. Should provide for a sweet boost.

-Brian

1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro

Old Aug 30, 2016, 03:48 PM   #52
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Folding@home

Quote:
With my Nano, I cannot fold and use the GPU for anything else without stability issues (at least as of May - 'may' be fixed now ). It's strictly driver related in my case. It could have been driver related for you as well.

Speaking of which, all this PPD I'm seeing from the team is sweet! Starting tmw I'll start firing up the Nano again, at least have it folding while I'm at work. Should provide for a sweet boost.

-Brian
I agree it's sweet, and all the activity in the distributed computing thread is nice too.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 06:37 PM   #53
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Quote:

-Brian

Firing it back up now. Guess we shall see.

Temps are fine too... 68-69c on the 780Ti @ 99-100% GPU load, CPU was running 28-31C TJ Max. Boosted the voltage on the FX8320 to 1.3v. Just gonna see if that fixes the issue. (I don't think it is as it was doing 4.2Ghz with 1.3V just fine)

Last edited by Flyordie : Aug 30, 2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 07:30 PM   #54
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Downloading Ubuntu.

Gonna try and get a second rig going. Running just a CPU client. Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 3.0Ghz (or 3.2Ghz if I can still get it there). Its the old Socket 939 2x1MB L2 version. lol Its in a crossfire board so idk.. might be worthy of a cheap GPU farm.

-S939 A64 X2 3800+ @ 3.0Ghz
-2x1GB OCZ Platinum 2-2-2 DDR400 (@ DDR450)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 08:29 PM   #55
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

Quote:
Firing it back up now. Guess we shall see.

Temps are fine too... 68-69c on the 780Ti @ 99-100% GPU load, CPU was running 28-31C TJ Max. Boosted the voltage on the FX8320 to 1.3v. Just gonna see if that fixes the issue. (I don't think it is as it was doing 4.2Ghz with 1.3V just fine)
Those temps should be fine. I fired up my Nano last night before bed, but paused it due to the incredible heat output So only at-work Nano folding until winter!

Quote:
Downloading Ubuntu.

Gonna try and get a second rig going. Running just a CPU client. Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 3.0Ghz (or 3.2Ghz if I can still get it there). Its the old Socket 939 2x1MB L2 version. lol Its in a crossfire board so idk.. might be worthy of a cheap GPU farm.

-S939 A64 X2 3800+ @ 3.0Ghz
-2x1GB OCZ Platinum 2-2-2 DDR400 (@ DDR450)
That'll work well for GPU folding. I was running a 680 on a similar configuration for a couple months back in spring. The PPD wasn't great, but a couple of 780s or really whatever laying around could give you some good PPD.

-Brian

1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro

Old Sep 1, 2016, 06:35 PM   #56
Flyordie
Lets roll...

The 780Ti was running [email protected] @ 1,200Mhz all day today... :-\ Its got 3 WU's worth about 70K, 105K and 61K sitting in the "log" and just started a new one.

1,200Mhz @ 1.1700V (1.162 is base volt, 1.178V is boost volt but it seems to run fine with less..)

Last night had a BSOD again... Something with my NB/IMC. RAM might be going bad. Running the XMP Profile on it.. 9-9-9-(1T Command Rate) @ 1.5V DDR3-1866

Last edited by Flyordie : Sep 1, 2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:29 PM   #57
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

Quote:
The 780Ti was running [email protected] @ 1,200Mhz all day today... :-\ Its got 3 WU's worth about 70K, 105K and 61K sitting in the "log" and just started a new one.

1,200Mhz @ 1.1700V (1.162 is base volt, 1.178V is boost volt but it seems to run fine with less..)

Last night had a BSOD again... Something with my NB/IMC. RAM might be going bad. Running the XMP Profile on it.. 9-9-9-(1T Command Rate) @ 1.5V DDR3-1866
"sitting in the log" as in they dumped or completed? BSODs definitely seem to be pointing toward hardware instability. You could try loosening the RAM timings, but if you can CPU fold on it without issue then I'd be more interested in things like PSU or GPU temps/voltage (though I think you ruled out temps in a previous post?)

1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro

Old Sep 2, 2016, 04:23 AM   #58
Flyordie
Lets roll...

It posted to PG.

Tested voltages with 2 different professionally calibrated voltmeters...

At 100% load, with CPU and GPU... I was drawing just shy of 268-272W from the 780Ti. (estimated from the software)

CPU was drawing about 89-92W.

This 780Ti is really pushing this SeaSonic PSU hard. :-(

SeaSonic says it'll handle the system though. (not kidding, I asked, they responded and offered a instant Newegg rebate on a new PSU from them if I got one.. ) This is the PSU I have.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151027

Voltages on the 12V1(12.03V) and 12V3 (11.98V*) and 12V4(12.00V) rails (CPU = 12V1, GPU = 12V3 and 12V4) This is while folding with GPU and CPU maxxed out.)
*It did dip RARELY to 11.95V.
With the system idle it tends to rest about 12.08-12.11V.

Last edited by Flyordie : Sep 2, 2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 09:43 PM   #59
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Well, I am averaging 290,000ppd. Now Its not getting any more work from server. lol
Old Sep 12, 2016, 09:47 AM   #60
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Looks like the power company finally figured out what I was doing (nothing illegal, just that I was using more power - we're billed at a flat rate unless we have drastic overage), don't think I can justify the extra $60/mo so I'm going to have to shut her down. Was fun while it lasted, glad I could contribute something.