Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
X*Devourer*X
Radeon R700

X*Devourer*X is still being judged by the masses

Default Battlefield Vietnam preview/interview

Aside from its supposed issues with the 9800 Pro this game sounds like its going to be extraordinarily fun! Lots of goodies I could quote in here but this 1 should get people drooling
Quote:
FZ: Can vehicles being airlifted be mounted by players?

AJ Marini: Absolutely! If you take the Huey helicopter for example, you can have a pilot and four guys in the back. Two guys on the M60’s and two guys with their own weapons. And then you can pick up, for example, an APC which carries six people, one guy driving, one guy on the machine gun and four guys inside, and then you have eleven people in one location, which is a lot of fun! One rocket though, and the whole team is destroyed right there. We saw no reason to limit people from being in the vehicles while being airlifted. There was no hit on the frame rate, there was no hit on the network and so on and so forth. People were like “Woah, are you really going to let them do that? Wouldn’t that be too powerful, it’s like an airborne tank?” and I said “Yeah, that’s cool! It’s an airborne tank!” People aren’t going to miss it, they’re not going to go “hmm, where did that airborne tank come from?”. You become a large target, there’s a balancing factor there.
I am very fired up for this game after reading this! http://www.fz.se/view.php?id=13548

The interview states about air lifting vehicles & flying helicopters as well as jets. But this sounds like totally US equipment. I wonder if you will have the exact same tools on the Vietcong side as you will the US, since you can play either side. & if not I wonder what the Vietcong side has to balance this out!?!?!

I'll be picking this up for sure on the 15th if its in stores that day or sooner.

Btw. Sorry if this has been posted already. I haven't seen it if it has.
(I could also simulate a fanboy by blaming the problems on anything BUT ATI, but I won't).
X*Devourer*X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Stoned Bob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Stoned Bob is still being judged by the masses

whahaha soooo cool I always was disapointed that only 3 ppl max can go in the b17
Stoned Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Jager
Section 9

Jager is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
FZ: How will the boobytraps work?

AJ Marini: They are a lot of fun. There are several types; there are the Punji sticks, they are my favourite, they are spikes you put in the ground and they cause instant death. We have the explosion packs we had in BF1942, and we have a similar thing for the Vietnamese. What’s good too is that if you’re on the US side, you can load up your vehicle with these detpacks and the US side’s C4 that sticks, so if you take off in a helicopter and tow the vehicle with you, you can drop it on people and detonate it. The Vietnamese also have time bombs, so you can jump on top of a tank and drop this time bomb there and it will tick down while you take cover before it blows. We have “Bouncing Betty” mines which, once you place them and a soldier comes close to the mine, it will go off, come up to about ches[b]t level and then explode, blasting you away.
Lots of creative ways to kill people.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:57 AM   #4
tempnexus
Chronic Repostinator

tempnexus is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Aside from its supposed issues with the 9800 Pro this game sounds like its going to be extraordinarily fun!
What issues? I am sorry I haven't been keeping up with the news...what can/will go wrong with BF:Vietnam and Radeon 9800PRO?

Thanks.
GA-7VAXP (0-4 RAID 100G WD Special ED) / AX-7 w/ 4500RPM 50cfm Fan / Mushkin 512MB DDR-2700 / Radeon R200 285/285 / Lite-On 48X CDRW & Lite-on 16X DVD / C-media sound (6spk) (sold the audigy crap) / Firewire/USB 2 (preferr firewire)
"You need to delete your video card and format your modem, and install AOL on your motherboard"
"Windows is a 32-bit extensions to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition "
www.DJSystemIntegrators.com"
NOT FOLDING due to lack of $$$!! Folding costs you about $25 a month.
http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
tempnexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:05 PM   #5
X*Devourer*X
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by tempnexus
What issues? I am sorry I haven't been keeping up with the news...what can/will go wrong with BF:Vietnam and Radeon 9800PRO?

Thanks.
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance
ATI 9800 PRO
- Battlefield does not support some of the hardware features of the
ATI 9800.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...post1332659097

I'm not sure exactly what this all boils down too, But if it's not going to play as well/look as well on my card as it does on a nVidia. They will not get my $50.00!

Another link. http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bfv...l/readme.shtml
(I could also simulate a fanboy by blaming the problems on anything BUT ATI, but I won't).
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6
Jager
Section 9

Jager is still being judged by the masses

That "read me" doc is dated January 16, 2004, and BFV went gold on March 2nd, hopefully the issue(s) with the 9800 Pro are gone.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:24 PM   #7
PoweredBySoy
Radeon Northern Islands

PoweredBySoy is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Battlefield Vietnam preview/interview

Quote:
Originally posted by X*Devourer*X
I wonder if you will have the exact same tools on the Vietcong side as you will the US, since you can play either side. & if not I wonder what the Vietcong side has to balance this out!?!?!
I do believe the VC get "tunnels" that allow them to relocate spawn points. Sounds 100x better than the ability to airlift lots of people.... at least from a strategic standpoint. And I'm not expecting the VC actually get to move through tunnels. I'm sure it's more of their engineer using a wrench on the ground and then a spawn point appears there.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:27 PM   #8
X*Devourer*X
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager
That "read me" doc is dated January 16, 2004, and BFV went gold on March 2nd, hopefully the issue(s) with the 9800 Pro are gone.
Lets hope so.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:33 PM   #9
TheWart
experienced noob

TheWart is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: Battlefield Vietnam preview/interview

Quote:
Originally posted by PoweredBySoy
...And I'm not expecting the VC actually get to move through tunnels. I'm sure it's more of their engineer using a wrench on the ground and then a spawn point appears there.
Yea, that is basically what happens, at least according to the interviews I have seen.
TheWart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 01:03 PM   #10
FluxCap
G36C Land

FluxCap is still being judged by the masses

I will be picking this up next Tuesday since I have it preordered. I am going to be a little upset that AA and AF don't work correctly, which I think they won't. Possibly for a long time.
FluxCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 03:43 PM   #11
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

wow this is gonna completely rock, same structure as 1942 with the flag improvements, all new maps, new graphics, all of those awesome booby traps, new vehicles, cannot wait!

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 04:16 PM   #12
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Dam why is everyone so anal about AA and AF? Its not gona kill you
On a side note "So we are looking at one GB of RAM to run it and that is a lot so unfortunately the game at regular setting won’t have as much beauty as we would like, we did a lot to be smart of what to include and not include. So on the regular setting you won’t get bumpmapped leaves and bushes but if you crank it up it’s even on the bark on the trees and so forth. "
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 04:20 PM   #13
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by Unrealsword
Dam why is everyone so anal about AA and AF? Its not gona kill you
yeah it will. the 9800pro has the power to run DX9 games AND use AA and still achieve great fps. that's one of the reasons I bought it. So ofcourse people are going to be upset if one of it's key features (being able to run AA while maintaining high fps) wont' work.

but the readme could have been from a beta over 2 months ago. issues are probably resolved
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:58 AM   #14
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands

BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses

i cant wait til this semester is over so i can grab this baby and get going. cant get it during the semester though, id fail out

BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:19 AM   #15
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyBbs2712
i cant wait til this semester is over so i can grab this baby and get going. cant get it during the semester though, id fail out
too bad you didn't say that about Battlefield1942 at the beginning of last year...Im pretty sure it's the cause of my lower grades
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote