Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:44 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Default Renmant From The Ashes

...is now available. Souls-like inspired IP with guns. It is reviewing very positive on steam.

Quote:
Third-person survival action shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by monstrous creatures.

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.

Last edited by Dungeoncrawler : Aug 20, 2019 at 01:13 AM.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2019, 03:56 AM   #2
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The monsters look incredible.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:05 AM   #3
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Really enjoying this one. A solid AA game. Combat is satisfying and the monsters are appropriately aggressive and challenging. Looses some polish in the hub-world and some of the voice acting, but otherwise a solid buy.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 21, 2019, 01:56 AM   #4
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Really enjoying this one. A solid AA game. Combat is satisfying and the monsters are appropriately aggressive and challenging. Looses some polish in the hub-world and some of the voice acting, but otherwise a solid buy.
Is it stupid hard like Dark Souls? I played through (most) of the first Dark souls game but it was such a grind and too much work to ultimately want to do again.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2019, 09:34 AM   #5
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Is it stupid hard like Dark Souls? I played through (most) of the first Dark souls game but it was such a grind and too much work to ultimately want to do again.
So I'll admit that I suck at Dark Souls. I played through the first bosses in DS1 and DS3 and eventually quit. The same features exist in this which some may not like: Saves only at the "campfires" (they are some sort of gem fragment in this) and mobs reset when you use one, but the addition of guns to me have made the game so much better. I'm not sure why, but the ability to hold off monsters at-range is a blast. You do have to balance ammo but you will figure out when you can chop them down and when to shoot pretty quickly.

I've only hit one boss so far and i admit I died about a half-dozen times to him before I got it done, but the checkpoint was right outside his lair so that part wasn't a huge deal. I also know the game seeds itself randomly so my experience and bosses could be different than others, which is neat for replay-ability but could mean you might get weird combos I guess?

Anyway, TL DR - I'm finding it challenging but not as frustrating as DS. You can tell that it's mimicking the same genre but it's not as soul-crushing (so far)...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:25 AM   #6
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Is this some mobile clone of Remnant From the Ashes?

What is the level of polish like, is it "lords of the fallen" janky or "The surge" janky?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2019, 02:19 PM   #7
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

I like the premise of Dark Souls type games, but I don't want to be faced with a wall of frustration where I have to fight a boss (or even just a certain area of monsters) over and over and over and over again until I get lucky and pass it just to encounter the SAME THING 5 minutes from then.

If this game isn't as brutal, I may check it out. But if it's even close to dark souls level of bullshit, I'll have to pass...which is a shame. I don't want a totally dumbed down version of dark souls, but I want something that's not going to make me flip tables while playing it either.

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
Old Aug 21, 2019, 04:48 PM   #8
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Seeing as this has guns, I don't suppose it plays better on a gamepad than with KB&M, like DS did?
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2019, 05:05 PM   #9
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Hmm...some reviews note that when you fight bosses they tend to make it more difficult by sending out trash mobs for you to deal with along with the boss themselves. Ugh...I hate when games do that.

Still, looks interesting. I'll keep my eyes on this one.

Old Aug 21, 2019, 05:20 PM   #10
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Hmm...some reviews note that when you fight bosses they tend to make it more difficult by sending out trash mobs for you to deal with along with the boss themselves. Ugh...I hate when games do that.

Still, looks interesting. I'll keep my eyes on this one.
I've only done one boss but that was absolutely true. Once I figured out how to deal with the adds it wasn't too bad.

For those interested, here are a few minutes of recent gameplay. Early game (a couple hours in), past the first boss but likely close to the second one. No spoilers:

Old Aug 25, 2019, 06:37 PM   #11
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

The trash mobs during a boss fight are really useful for charging up your weapon power mods. I have no issue with it in this game.

Game is surprisingly really great. Gunplay is outstanding, feels very accurate like The Division or Destiny. Definitely a lot of Souls inspired mechanics, but the game isn't nearly as difficult. You will have to make a few attempts dealing with some enemies for sure.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2019, 06:56 PM   #12
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
The trash mobs during a boss fight are really useful for charging up your weapon power mods. I have no issue with it in this game.

Game is surprisingly really great. Gunplay is outstanding, feels very accurate like The Division or Destiny. Definitely a lot of Souls inspired mechanics, but the game isn't nearly as difficult. You will have to make a few attempts dealing with some enemies for sure.
Wish listed the game, will wait for a decent sale then I think I'll pick it up. The frustration with the difficulty in dark souls really turned me off to their other games. Good to hear it's not as bad.

Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:44 PM   #13
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:

I honestly sucked hard at DS1 and DS3, but am loving this. I've had to throw myself at bosses a few times but always seem to figure something out toward the end. Also the game really opens up after the first area in a lot of ways I didn't expect. Don't let the dreary apocalyptic earth setting turn you off.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 01:10 PM   #14
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Game is great lacking some minor Polish from AAA games like facial animations. However they also do some other features great too like cloth physics and puddles that arnt just fake reflections.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 05:44 AM   #15
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

SkillUp did a nice review of it.
From the viewpoint of someone not into the punishing souls-like genre at all, it made me go from Not Interested to Wishlisted.

9:45 is what changed my mind, I hate how souls-like games test your memory rather than your muscle-memory.
I don't want to learn boss special attacks by dying from them, let me intuit them instead.
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2019, 06:25 PM   #16
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh View Post
SkillUp did a nice review of it.
From the viewpoint of someone not into the punishing souls-like genre at all, it made me go from Not Interested to Wishlisted.

9:45 is what changed my mind, I hate how souls-like games test your memory rather than your muscle-memory.
I don't want to learn boss special attacks by dying from them, let me intuit them instead.
Quote:
A week after its release, Remnant: From The Ashes remains at the top of the Steam charts. It’s safe to say that its core conceit—what if Dark Souls, but guns—is resonating with people. Is the game living up to lofty, gothy expectations? For the most part, so far, so good.

Kotaku’s Heather Alexandra found herself pleasantly thrilled by Remnant when she played it last week, saying it’s becoming one of her favorite games of 2019. Many Steam users feel similarly, lauding the game for its challenge and general Dark-Souls-y-ness, as well as its twists on that structure, like a deep deck of locations and bosses that re-shuffles itself every time you start a new playthrough. Other players feel like the difficulty is a little too much—especially when you’re not playing co-op—and boss fights rely on cheap tactics. This, of course, has summoned a ravenous horde of “git gud” contrarians to chant their favorite refrain, because while Remnant’s world is infested with ancient evil from a chaos dimension, we live in hell.

I enjoyed playing the game until the negatives of it started shining through like hellfire.

1) There’s really no reason to explore any of the areas you’re in outside of finding upgrade materials, and unique drops from chests are almost nonexistent. (Most chests just drop money + upgrade materials.)

2) Because of the randomized nature of the game, you will not be able to find every weapon or piece of armor available—which is fine, even for legendary boss items; but your mileage may vary if you get stuck in the early game wielding weapons you don’t like. Ditto for weapon mods. (And there aren’t that many non-boss drop weapons, or unique weapons, in the first place.)

3) Fight balance is all over the place. At times, it can be challenging—your sniper build suddenly runs into an enemy with non-standard weakspot placement, or who is shielded over said weak spot, for example—while other times it’s just a drag. There are a large variety of enemies and encounters you’ll come up against, but a lot of the time you’re either killing: a) fast melee; b) slow but heavy hitting melee; c) quick moving/homing walking timebomb; or d) ranged.

The game attempts to throw curveballs into the mix by having (very few) enemies that can attack you using special abilities (like making a gas cloud that will explode after a certain amount of time) or enemies with special defenses (a popular one is that a melee enemy will be immune to all damage for your first several hits until it opens up somehow/drops its defenses) but, by and large, these more interesting encounters are very few and far between.

3) 99% of Boss Fights are a joke wherein difficulty is determined not by the boss themselves, but the constant presence of Adds that spawn, endlessly, throughout every phase of a fight. Why this was the primary focus for every boss fight, I have no idea; but if you’re playing in a group? The adds are manageable, and the game plus like (imo) a familiar romp through lower difficulty Destiny 1 raids. (Or going through DS2 on PC and having to fight red phantoms inside boss rooms through NG+)

Fighting these same bosses SOLO, however, is an exercise in frustration—because most every boss encounter will just throw and throw and throw Adds at you to the point where THEY are the main problem, and nothing the BOSS is actually doing is all that difficult to deal with. (It’s artificial difficulty—and, again, to go back to comparing this to DS2: the difficulty comes from how mobs can SWARM you, rather than the mechanics of the boss fight or encounter being unmangavle or hard to learn. I’d say MOST bosses in Remnant are trivially easy if not for the massive amount of trash mobs they come with.)

Now, I know WHY the adds are there, since they drop ammo and help you charge your various abilities; but when you’re playing solo and spending more time killing trash mobs than actually figuring out how to beat a boss, there’s something wrong.

(“Play in groups!” I hear you say. “It’s a group shooter!” To which I reply: don’t wanna and don’t have the time, and also none of my friends have the game. Which, granted, is a me problem.)

I enjoyed what I played of the game, and the setting + world-building are phenomena...but if you’re looking for interesting characters, or don’t have a dedicated group of people to play Remnant with, I’d give it a pass.

https://kotaku.com/remnant-from-the-...ews-1837625075
So not too bad if playing co-op but solo sounds like it's still frustratingly difficult, meh. I'll just wait for a sale and pick it up for $20 or so.

Old Aug 30, 2019, 07:23 PM   #17
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
So not too bad if playing co-op but solo sounds like it's still frustratingly difficult, meh. I'll just wait for a sale and pick it up for $20 or so.
I dunno... I'm the worst at difficult games and have uninstalled more Souls-like games than I've beaten, but I've got 18 hours into this and have managed to beat off some pretty challenging bosses (some have taken 30 minutes or more to perfect, but I've beaten them... ALL solo). Plus if you're really having trouble you can just open your game to the public and let peeps join you just for the boss (I haven't done this yet but I'm sure it's possible).

Here is a video of me fighting The Unclean One. Took me a long time and lots of frustration, but once I got him in this round it felt amazing. I guess that's what really makes souls games popular is beating the bosses the first time.

Edit: I forgot to mention that difficulty can be balanced equipment and mods that best suit your playstyle or the boss. One reason the clip below is memorable for me is that I had been wearing a heavier armor set for a while up to that point and was struggling. Switched to a lighter set that allowed me to dodge more frequently, and changed my gun mods a few times until they were just right.

Last edited by Jet Black : Aug 30, 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 02:13 PM   #18
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

This game rocked, feels like it would be a really good diablo-like shootbang if they would just add more loot/content.

And people should stop worrying about the game being as hard as a dark souls, as long as you can aim, the game will be pretty easy.

The only time you have to worry about using the "right" weapon mods/weapons is the final boss, the rest of the game is fine using whatever.

Oh, and one more thing, the shootbang in this game is really good, might be one of the best feeling third person shooters of this generation.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 04:00 PM   #19
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

I made it to the end-boss and then couldn't do it because I didn't have the right combination of weapons... sort of was disappointed for a bit but decided to go ahead and re-roll my world. So far it's been a great role as I'm seeing NPCs and fighting bosses I hadn't encountered the first time. Some new weapons, some new items and skills... very cool!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 09:05 PM   #20
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I made it to the end-boss and then couldn't do it because I didn't have the right combination of weapons... !
You know about the buffs you build up in when you get zapped into the "dark zone" right?
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2019, 09:24 PM   #21
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
You know about the buffs you build up in when you get zapped into the "dark zone" right?
Yeah, but my most powerful weapons were my revolver and coach gun. These ate through other bosses no problem, but just weren't doing it even with the mods. I could grind out upgrades on others but thought a restart would be more fun (though I did it shortly before Adventure Mode, which would have been better than re-rolling). Also I didn't have good regen armor and I wasn't having fun throwing myself at the boss over and over
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:11 AM   #22
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I dunno... I'm the worst at difficult games and have uninstalled more Souls-like games than I've beaten, but I've got 18 hours into this and have managed to beat off some pretty challenging bosses (some have taken 30 minutes or more to perfect, but I've beaten them... ALL solo). Plus if you're really having trouble you can just open your game to the public and let peeps join you just for the boss (I haven't done this yet but I'm sure it's possible).

Here is a video of me fighting The Unclean One. Took me a long time and lots of frustration, but once I got him in this round it felt amazing. I guess that's what really makes souls games popular is beating the bosses the first time.

Edit: I forgot to mention that difficulty can be balanced equipment and mods that best suit your playstyle or the boss. One reason the clip below is memorable for me is that I had been wearing a heavier armor set for a while up to that point and was struggling. Switched to a lighter set that allowed me to dodge more frequently, and changed my gun mods a few times until they were just right.

I've been playing a good bit lately and my experience has been similar to yours I think. I rolled one build that I had a really tough time with, tried another with the first one's mistakes in mind and am soloing everything so far.

It's probably the most fun I've had in a run and gun for ages. I've joined quite a few co-op games and that's some fast paced, pretty brutal fun too.

I'm only up to Groot (is there a better name for it?) so far, so I'll wait before tackling the new free dlc area.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 04:00 PM   #23
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Too close to a souls game for my taste - uninstalled.

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2019, 09:33 AM   #24
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Finally got to checking out some gameplay of this game. It looks good to me so wishlisted it. I will definitely be playing it at some point.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2019, 09:48 AM   #25
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
Too close to a souls game for my taste - uninstalled.
This is my concern. I really want to try it, but I also really wanted to play the souls games too. Each time I played the souls games, I got bored dieing over and over and over again just to figure out a bosses timings. I'm afraid the same thing will happen in this game. On a $20 or less sale I might grab it, but for full price I don't think so.

Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:05 AM   #26
Mangler
PC

This game is not that much harder than something like borderlands.

It was pretty easy as long as you used weapons with a high dps instead of hard-hitting slow ones like the sniper rifle.

Last edited by Mangler : Sep 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:17 PM   #27
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Doesn’t the sniper have the highest DPS?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:32 PM   #28
Mangler
PC

DPS was the wrong acronym, DPM would have been the correct one.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 01:07 PM   #29
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Does this game play well with keyboard and mouse?

Old Sep 24, 2019, 06:07 AM   #30
Andy22
Radeon R600

Andy22 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Does this game play well with keyboard and mouse?
Yep..very natural. Works great
Andy22 is offline   Reply With Quote