Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 26, 2016, 02:31 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
In a few games I believe there are filters that will slow the input or put a curve on it but it's still dumb because at that point you're just hindering yourself further when you actually need full input. And I'll put money on a bet nobody here could beat a time I set with my controller vs your keyboard. I would actually enjoy such a challenge.
don't bet on it man. you will be underestimating the dedication of some people. i've seen gamepad halo players destroy m+kb users.

And Ziklitschli can be pretty hardcore once he gets his chemical concoctions going

but in general yeah, most people won't be that good or persistent to master the keyboard controls that much.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 05:41 PM   #182
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

I'd love to just see who comes out on top. Could use the rfactor 2 demo. Has the 3.5 l open wheel cars and Silverstone laser scanned as well as good control setups.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 02:26 AM   #183
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalking View Post
How do you input analog steering and throttle with a keyboard?
Filters.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 27, 2016, 02:30 AM   #184
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
I'm sure it takes some fingers, the kind that make girlfriends happy.
Well, yes.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 03:20 AM   #185
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
In a few games I believe there are filters that will slow the input or put a curve on it but it's still dumb because at that point you're just hindering yourself further when you actually need full input.
Is it though. With filters set correctly, I don't think it is that much of a problem, it's not perfect ofc though.

Quote:
I'll put money on a bet nobody here could beat a time I set with my controller vs your keyboard. I would actually enjoy such a challenge.

Sure, there are a few problems with that though. For starters, I didn't even object the claims that pad can give you better times and a wheel obviously can. I object your initial claims that it's impossible to drive with a keyboard without assists, that you can't do a Scandinavian flick etc.

With pad idk really, never played on a pad to perfection so can't really compare. It will be faster probably but my guess would be that again, it's not that much of a difference as you think it is. Not many people attempt to play keyboard competitively so there's hardly any data to use.

Albo I'm a bit rusty, last rally game I played was Dirt Rally early access right after it was released, at this point I don't think I will come with groundbreaking times no matter if it's a keyboard, pad or a wheel. I don't have the luxury of much free time either so it has to take some to get good again.

Last but not least, either of us winning will not settle the debate, one might be just much better than the other.

I propose RBR though, I saw you mention rFactor but I'm really not interested in mastering it.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Mar 27, 2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 06:37 AM   #186
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
And Ziklitschli can be pretty hardcore once he gets his chemical concoctions going

I'm actualy living like an ascetic last few months though, no drugs no alc no sugar no tea. Bread, water and sex heh. Proper breaks are key to long and successful life with serious addictions heh.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:51 AM   #187
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

All I hear are excuses.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 02:49 PM   #188
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Listen kid. I have 2 children and my wife studies, most of my free time is spent on activities that can potentialy bring profit. I hardly play games, not to mention posting about them and spending it all on a single stage, especialy if it was a game I'm not interested in like rFactor, to prove some random keyboard vs pad bs is a waste of time. Still wanted to play RBR with you, only with a reservation that it won't really settle the debate and that I can't fukin do it today, or even next week maybe.

You post some ignorant crap then get cocky over racing on a computer. Please grow up.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Mar 27, 2016, 04:18 PM   #189
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
Listen kid. I have 2 children and my wife studies, most of my free time is spent on activities that can potentialy bring profit. I hardly play games, not to mention posting about them and spending it all on a single stage, especialy if it was a game I'm not interested in like rFactor, to prove some random keyboard vs pad bs is a waste of time. Still wanted to play RBR with you, only with a reservation that it won't really settle the debate and that I can't fukin do it today, or even next week maybe.

You post some ignorant crap then get cocky over racing on a computer. Please grow up.
Are you serious I'm not being serious guy. Calm the hell down. Set a lap in dirt whatever car and stage I'll try and beat it. Rbr doesn't work with my ps3 controller well.

Everything was lighthearted at this point not sure why you took it as sincere. Maybe need to step back for a minute.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 05:19 PM   #190
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2016, 03:04 AM   #191
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Are you serious I'm not being serious guy. Calm the hell down. Set a lap in dirt whatever car and stage I'll try and beat it. Rbr doesn't work with my ps3 controller well.

Everything was lighthearted at this point not sure why you took it as sincere. Maybe need to step back for a minute.
Ok, sorry then. I don't know you and read as serious, it got a bit silly, somehow reminded me of "il pawn u lol" Xbox live brigade.

Dirt Rally is good, want to play it anyway. Will choose a stage and let you know, something from Greece probably because only there I managed 30 fps with laptop cpu afair heh. Btw I don't have the current version only earliest access torrent somewhere, will install that not sure if the same game though.

We should also play RBR, you can use a wheel. It has keyboard properly implemented with settings for filters etc.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Mar 28, 2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 05:21 PM   #192
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Installed it today. I chose the first stage that showed up in Greece, Ourea Spevsi with Fiesta RS, conditions Midday/ Sunny. Didn't touch car settings.

Had a few tries, managed 4:07 with 14 Second penalty and few bumps so 3:30 - 40 should be easily doable, rest depends on how much I can improve. Should be able to spend some time on it on Sunday so we'll see.

The game is pure joy, bit too easy though and the instant braking spoils it a lot. But the stages, Jesus, feels like literaly eating dirt. Beautiful.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Apr 1, 2016, 08:42 PM   #193
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Installed it today. I chose the first stage that showed up in Greece, Ourea Spevsi with Fiesta RS, conditions Midday/ Sunny. Didn't touch car settings.

Had a few tries, managed 4:07 with 14 Second penalty and few bumps so 3:30 - 40 should be easily doable, rest depends on how much I can improve. Should be able to spend some time on it on Sunday so we'll see.

The game is pure joy, bit too easy though and the instant braking spoils it a lot. But the stages, Jesus, feels like literaly eating dirt. Beautiful.
If you didn't touch car settings, you may have some assists that might be making it easier for you.

Or you might just be a very good driver.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2016, 03:27 AM   #194
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

No man, I don't have a single assist on. The car settings and assist are in separate menus in Dirt Rally. That I didn't change anything doesn't mean I don't know what's there.

Not sure about good driver but I'm good with keyboard. I'm a piano player and it helps I guess.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Apr 2, 2016, 04:25 AM   #195
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Btw I'm playing automatic transmission but that actually slows you down. Anyway, can't be arsed to learn the car I probably won't end up playing in the long run.

Btw 2 for all the fuss about assists, I think real rally Fiesta RS had ABS and traction control at some point. I prefer no assists ofc as it feels organic and was the mantra for years but not sure how much of that is realism and how much is just good old l33t and true hardcore. Maybe they should introduce a factory setting like in AC or sth, idk.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Apr 2, 2016, 07:47 AM   #196
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
No man, I don't have a single assist on. The car settings and assist are in separate menus in Dirt Rally. That I didn't change anything doesn't mean I don't know what's there.

Not sure about good driver but I'm good with keyboard. I'm a piano player and it helps I guess.
Well, then, you're just good at playing Dirt.

I played the original Dirt using keyboard, and was quite regularly kicking all kinds of ass. I also play piano. It might be a thing.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2016, 08:40 AM   #197
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Btw I'm playing automatic transmission but that actually slows you down.
Yes, it does. I mentioned (complained) about this when I got into the beta as it's always been something the DiRT series has done:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...&postcount=124
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:57 PM   #198
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Well, then, you're just good at playing Dirt.

I played the original Dirt using keyboard, and was quite regularly kicking all kinds of ass. I also play piano. It might be a thing.
Thank you but that time of mine is average and even when I take it to 3:40 (3:30 is optimistic and takes into account that I was conservative near the end fearing for the result), I'm still 2nd/3rd vs the AI. And I still felt there's a lot I could do better.

As for keyboard, here's someone claiming to play keyboard without assists, not perfect but pretty nice for operating on full inputs heh:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jv2p9vkI5Ns

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old May 21, 2016, 03:00 PM   #199
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I installed this yesterday, been having a blast in it. I use my Steam Controller to play it, so far so fun.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016, 05:25 PM   #200
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

I'm I stalling it again gunna see what I can run against my keyboard warrior friend here.
Old May 21, 2016, 06:43 PM   #201
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Please do. It's hard to motivate myself to play the same stage over and over without even knowing what to beat.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old May 21, 2016, 07:16 PM   #202
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Please do. It's hard to motivate myself to play the same stage over and over without even knowing what to beat.
Gunna give it a shot now.
Old May 21, 2016, 08:17 PM   #203
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Ran a 3:45 same everything didn't touch the setup. No assists. Drove off a cliff once. I forgot how much this game gets my adrenaline going. I usually drive the slower cars and running that Fiesta was ****ing nuts. I could absolutely do a sub 3:30 run. This is also of course after no playing for a while, and it was literally my 3rd run the first two I jumped the start.
Old May 22, 2016, 03:13 AM   #204
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Nice. Wife is at school today and I'm neck deep in LEGOs but tomorrow I will make a few runs for sure.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old May 22, 2016, 08:41 AM   #205
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

It's Def much more thrilling trying to beat some bodies times. If you add me on steam we can actually see each other's stage times.
Old May 23, 2016, 02:11 AM   #206
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

I'm playing the first version of the early access torrent, you will have to trust me lol. It doesn't even start for me atm, still have that early 4gb free space requirement bug and I have to make some to play. So yeah not sure if we're even playing the same game at this point heh.

Yes I know I should buy it, and soon I will but I want a proper PC first. Outside of our little comp there's no point in buying a game that gives me 25 fps (Greece being the 30fps min exception) and all I'm waiting for is Pascal and CPU benchmarks for new Total War.

Yes playing against people changes a lot, it's evident when I have a near perfect time at the last intersection and then stupidly crash purely because of pressure. Fun.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old May 23, 2016, 09:21 AM   #207
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
I'm playing the first version of the early access torrent, you will have to trust me lol. It doesn't even start for me atm, still have that early 4gb free space requirement bug and I have to make some to play. So yeah not sure if we're even playing the same game at this point heh.

Yes I know I should buy it, and soon I will but I want a proper PC first. Outside of our little comp there's no point in buying a game that gives me 25 fps (Greece being the 30fps min exception) and all I'm waiting for is Pascal and CPU benchmarks for new Total War.

Yes playing against people changes a lot, it's evident when I have a near perfect time at the last intersection and then stupidly crash purely because of pressure. Fun.
Contradicting yourself on the piracy. No point in buying the game, but youre pirating it.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2016, 02:32 PM   #208
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Well that's disappointing. Don't think they've changed much physics wise at all.
Old May 25, 2016, 02:38 AM   #209
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Contradicting yourself on the piracy. No point in buying the game, but youre pirating it.
I don't think so, no. I pirated it back then to see the performance but was not satisfied (well 4xmsaa + 4trssaa might have something to do with that heh but I refuse to play without it) played it maybe few times since then, each time 5 runs tops.

I barely have time to play anyway lately, bought Divinity Original Sin like month ago and still am in the first location. The only reason I fired up Dirt Rally again was this keyboard challenge, other than that I have no intentions of playing it atm.

Should I buy it now then? Maybe. Maybe I should buy it just to support proper rally and the devs anyway but the thing is, I have a pile of games bought with such intent that I have yet to play and kind of can't spend money just like that anymore. Looking at Pascal retarded initial prices here, it might take a month or two before I buy, hope not but why buy games at full price now, not really a logical thing to do.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old May 25, 2016, 02:55 AM   #210
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Well that's disappointing. Don't think they've changed much physics wise at all.
Disappointing, why? I'm not going to cheat or sth and I could if you saw my times online anyway, could just connect the pad, use some cheats etc

Anyway, on monday didn't play because I watched romantic film with wife heh. Should find some time soon, we're in the mountains now so it's half day work and half day hiking but they say carpathian storms are coming, playing on batery ftw.

Garth Merenghi quotes