Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Dec 13, 2015, 04:31 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

You can destroy your lights in the night stages, adds to the challenge
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:19 AM   #152
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The snow maps are much tougher than the rest imo, bumps, crests and tight snow either side of the track that can either send you flying, turn you around or just stop you dead.

Also, in some cases I find the assists actually make things worse, you can't turn around corners properly because you can't really slide as well around corners and use the extra power to kick yourself into a spin. Just find it hard to get my rhythm in this game.

Can't believe I was using a automatic start, the handbrake start is much faster and more consistent.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2016, 02:46 PM   #153
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
Game is superior than RBR in most respects.
lol

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:15 PM   #154
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
lol
I have to agree about DIRT's superiority
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:19 PM   #155
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
The snow maps are much tougher than the rest imo, bumps, crests and tight snow either side of the track that can either send you flying, turn you around or just stop you dead.

Also, in some cases I find the assists actually make things worse, you can't turn around corners properly because you can't really slide as well around corners and use the extra power to kick yourself into a spin. Just find it hard to get my rhythm in this game.

Can't believe I was using a automatic start, the handbrake start is much faster and more consistent.
That's the first thing I do in every racing game is shut the assists off. Doesn't matter if it's need for speed or Rfactor. Usually pepper in some TCS with powerful cars like LMP 1's or any type of open cockpit race car with lots of power. Hard to control throttle perfectly with a ps3 controller.

Dirt rally is extremely good. It is better than RBR at pretty much everything. This is coming from an RBR fan as well.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 01:19 AM   #156
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
I have to agree about DIRT's superiority
Yeah, in graphics. The way DIRT Rally simulates damage alone disqualifies it as an even contender to RBR as a sim, it albo shows that it wasn't dev's intent to challenge the latter in that respect. It's a very good simcade with properly modeled terrain, sure.

Not to mention that at the point in time poster Yoz wrote it, Dirt Rally had bad cameras, replays, grip and submarine physics. I don't know how much of that is fixed atm (only played the first early access) but it just wasn't better than RBR.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Dirt Rally for it's stages alone, almost cried tears of awe seeing those, finaly modern graphics and proper rallying. I just disagree that it beats RBR.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 07:57 AM   #157
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Bundle is on sale. -44% $100.76 $56.57

Code:
 Buy The Codemasters DiRT Collection BUNDLE (?)

Includes 4 items: DiRT Showdown, Colin McRae Rally, DiRT Rally, DiRT 3 Complete Edition
Old Mar 20, 2016, 08:04 PM   #158
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
Yeah, in graphics. The way DIRT Rally simulates damage alone disqualifies it as an even contender to RBR as a sim, it albo shows that it wasn't dev's intent to challenge the latter in that respect. It's a very good simcade with properly modeled terrain, sure.

Not to mention that at the point in time poster Yoz wrote it, Dirt Rally had bad cameras, replays, grip and submarine physics. I don't know how much of that is fixed atm (only played the first early access) but it just wasn't better than RBR.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Dirt Rally for it's stages alone, almost cried tears of awe seeing those, finaly modern graphics and proper rallying. I just disagree that it beats RBR.
Technically the game simulates what it needs to. It's been tuned away, but can be tuned back in via something like this.

Based on internet comments, the tyre deformation is significantly more aggressive in DIRT than it is in RBR. Based on the little I remember, I don't think I ever lost wheels from landing too hard in RBR, so I guess it does seem to be the case. As an overall package I do think DIRT is more serious than RBR because it gets the terrain a lot better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:

Last edited by metroidfox : Mar 20, 2016 at 08:11 PM.
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2016, 07:56 AM   #159
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

My problem with this game is that it is impossible to come first using the keyboard.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2016, 01:01 PM   #160
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
My problem with this game is that it is impossible to come first using the keyboard.
Not sure if serious
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2016, 04:37 PM   #161
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
Not sure if serious
He'd dead serious he plays everything with the keyboard/mouse, spends boatloads of cash on his computer but won't buy a controller of any kind. I tried the keyboard for racing when I was maybe 10 with the first GTR 1 game that came out in like 2003, never again I said, never again. My math sucks that was probably in the late 90's considering I am 26 and was born in 89. I am ****ing old.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 05:45 PM   #162
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Your problem is that you're still using a keyboard to play racing games. Forget about a wheel, how about at least getting an analogue gamepad? Even that is worlds of difference.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2016, 09:51 PM   #163
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Dont bad on the man for wanting to play with a keyboard. Nothing wrong with it. Only game i have had trouble with was grid, where i had to use the helper functions. Every other racing game i've played with a keyboard and it's fine.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:12 PM   #164
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

you guys sound like my mom refusing to use the scroll wheel until she actually found out it ain't that bad after all
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:51 PM   #165
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
He'd dead serious he plays everything with the keyboard/mouse, spends boatloads of cash on his computer but won't buy a controller of any kind. I tried the keyboard for racing when I was maybe 10 with the first GTR 1 game that came out in like 2003, never again I said, never again. My math sucks that was probably in the late 90's considering I am 26 and was born in 89. I am ****ing old.
I have an X360 controller for my PC. I rarely use it though except for Mortal Kombat X and now for SFV since I can't remap keys in SFV.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2016, 05:13 AM   #166
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Dont bad on the man for wanting to play with a keyboard. Nothing wrong with it. Only game i have had trouble with was grid, where i had to use the helper functions. Every other racing game i've played with a keyboard and it's fine.
Why would you though? Do you like living in 1995? If I ran windows 98 and botched about not being able to run the game would you say well don't dog on em cause he runs 98.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 07:51 AM   #167
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Why would you though? Do you like living in 1995? If I ran windows 98 and botched about not being able to run the game would you say well don't dog on em cause he runs 98.
By that logic, you could apply it to anyone not using an actual wheel/pedal setup...
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2016, 08:35 AM   #168
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

I think Hyper thinks im playing with a typewriter...

I use my gamepad a lot, i play a lot of platforming games with it, and fighting games. I just like driving with the keyboard.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:51 AM   #169
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Keyboard is better than pad for rallying.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:21 PM   #170
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Technically the game simulates what it needs to. It's been tuned away, but can be tuned back in via something like this.

Based on internet comments, the tyre deformation is significantly more aggressive in DIRT than it is in RBR. Based on the little I remember, I don't think I ever lost wheels from landing too hard in RBR, so I guess it does seem to be the case. As an overall package I do think DIRT is more serious than RBR because it gets the terrain a lot better.
Terrain is arguably the only thing DR might have gotten better. When I played it though, there was little to no inertia and braking was arcadish as fuk. It's not more serious than RBR.

Thanks for that mod, I will surely need it. If we compare with mods though, RBR eats DR for breakfast. Also, it's not exactly the damage model itself that is a problem, even WRC Series had mods for that. It's just something that shows developer intent, if they don't put realistic one into the game then they're not making a sim, period.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:28 PM   #171
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
I tried the keyboard for racing when I was maybe 10 with the first GTR 1 game that came out in like 2003, never again I said, never again. My math sucks that was probably in the late 90's considering I am 26 and was born in 89. I am ****ing old.
Maybe just try again, for the sake of argument so at least you know what you're talking about. It's implemented ok in Dirt Rally, I've seen better but it's a good showcase. Give it half an hour and a few tries at least if you do though.

It really isn't as bad as you think it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZ6SyMAQe0

Garth Merenghi quotes

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Mar 23, 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 06:04 PM   #172
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
By that logic, you could apply it to anyone not using an actual wheel/pedal setup...
Not really considering a controller can be had cheaply and conviently but a good wheel setup is expensive and can't just sit on a desk and not be annoying.

I just cannot understand why anyone would not want to use analogue to control their throttles and brakes and their steering for that matter. You guys must play with automatic and all assists. What you don't understand is that any time you press that key you are giving full input. There isn't a half throttle when using a keyboard, it's either on or off. You can't hold the brakes right on the edge before locking up it's just not possible with an on off switch.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 07:14 PM   #173
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
I just cannot understand why anyone would not want to use analogue to control their throttles and brakes and their steering for that matter.
Why does it matter to you what someone else uses? I've spent a lot of money on my sim hardware. I don't expect others to, but then again, it doesn't hurt me if others are using keyboards (and possibly doing better times than me). I've spent the money on immersion. Other may not care about that, and that is just fine.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2016, 09:17 PM   #174
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Why does it matter to you what someone else uses? I've spent a lot of money on my sim hardware. I don't expect others to, but then again, it doesn't hurt me if others are using keyboards (and possibly doing better times than me). I've spent the money on immersion. Other may not care about that, and that is just fine.
At the end of the day I couldn't care less, but for the sake of the argument it's just illogical to me to limit yourself so much when you could use a controller for relatively little cost.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:30 AM   #175
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

yep, it's not that it really matters. it's more like, heads up guys, gamepads are pretty useful on the PC, and the immersion increase due to analog input and the tactile feel improvements, when coupled with the low price of entry, make it a no brainer.

It's like telling someone a game is on a huge sale. i don't care if they buy it or not, but I certainly will share the info with them.

for me, racing games with a keyboard feel like I'm playing a twitch arcade game. constant precision key taps, finding holes in the game driving model to perfect digital input cornering, etc. it's a completely different experience when compared with analog input and FF. just like a wheel setup takes it to a whole new level.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:20 PM   #176
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Not really considering a controller can be had cheaply and conviently but a good wheel setup is expensive and can't just sit on a desk and not be annoying.

I just cannot understand why anyone would not want to use analogue to control their throttles and brakes and their steering for that matter. You guys must play with automatic and all assists. What you don't understand is that any time you press that key you are giving full input. There isn't a half throttle when using a keyboard, it's either on or off. You can't hold the brakes right on the edge before locking up it's just not possible with an on off switch.
No, you're not giving it the full input when you press the key, why would you keep repeating that bs?

No you don't have to play with assists.

Again, maybe just try it so at least you have any idea what you criticize.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:23 PM   #177
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

How do you input analog steering and throttle with a keyboard?
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:38 PM   #178
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm sure it takes some fingers, the kind that make girlfriends happy.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:55 PM   #179
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalking View Post
How do you input analog steering and throttle with a keyboard?

you don't. you exploit the game code by quick tapping.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2016, 02:03 PM   #180
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

In a few games I believe there are filters that will slow the input or put a curve on it but it's still dumb because at that point you're just hindering yourself further when you actually need full input. And I'll put money on a bet nobody here could beat a time I set with my controller vs your keyboard. I would actually enjoy such a challenge.