Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:17 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Still considering the Digital Freelancer pledge. My only concern is that it may not be the right ship for me.

I want to explore, have no desire of joining any body for any thing. Sure, I don't mind offering assistance now and then when some body may need it (lone ship being attacked by pirates for example, I'd assist the lone ship). I don't mind taking on missions or quests- but I prefer to solo in other words. Is the Freelancer the right ship for that? How fast can it travel? What kind of weapons loadout can it have? How can the shields and hull integrity be upgraded? I'm not sure I'm willing to pledge till there's a way for me to compare the various different ships. Clicked around on the website for a bit and couldn't find anything of relevance.

Still eyeing this game though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #122
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

I went a bit crazy and now have 3 ships, a Aurora LX, a Cutlass, and a Constellation

This gives you some details about the ships
http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/to...n-compilation/

If you are going to pledge now would be the time to do it and still get lifetime insurance for the ship you get. You can always alter your pledge and still get the free insurance if you do it now.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:22 PM   #123
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

3 ships!?

Well, can't commit to the Freelancer right now. Thinking about doing the basic pledge and upgrading later as you suggested.
Quote:
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:56 PM   #124
RicH(SAD)
Radeon Northern Islands

RicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have the Aurora LX right now, but I'm thinking of reclaiming it and buying the 325a package.

Last edited by RicH(SAD) : Jun 30, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
RicH(SAD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:02 PM   #125
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Seems silly to spend so much money for in game ships.

I bought into the basic package. Going to earn my ships. Hopefully the game isn't stupid balanced with people having all these ships dominating certain areas as you try and eek out a living.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:09 PM   #126
RicH(SAD)
Radeon Northern Islands

RicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete strangerRicH(SAD) once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well, it is money that goes toward improving the game and you get to start with a cool ship. It is still gamble as the game could end up being ****, but one can always hope. :P
RicH(SAD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:39 PM   #127
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Do you know Chris' history on creating games, and have you played his previous games? Chris is pretty close to James Cameron (in my book) of space sim gaming on the PC.
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:03 PM   #128
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Does anybody know when they're going to stop offering the lifetime insurance?
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:11 PM   #129
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Does anybody know when they're going to stop offering the lifetime insurance?
Ends Nov 26 2013
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:15 PM   #130
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
Ends Nov 26 2013
Thanks.

Gives me more time to think over my pledge amount and to see how the game progresses.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:32 AM   #131
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I was pretty sure it's 6/7th of July for first time buyers, if you already have a ship with LTI, you can get more until Nov 26th, but if you don't July 6/7th is the cut off date.

Least that's what I got told.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:10 AM   #132
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I was pretty sure it's 6/7th of July for first time buyers, if you already have a ship with LTI, you can get more until Nov 26th, but if you don't July 6/7th is the cut off date.

No, it is on their website
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge
Quote:
VETERAN BACKERS

The United Empire of Earth appreciates your service! Star Citizen's early backers are eligible for packages which include Lifetime Insurance through November 26, 2013.
Then if you go to Digital Scout (lowest package) it states
THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS:
RSI Aurora
SHIP
ALSO CONTAINS
1,000 Game Credits
Lifetime Insurance
Star Citizen Digital Download
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Digital Star Citizen Manual
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:48 AM   #133
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

any info for the SP side of the game?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:18 AM   #134
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
No, it is on their website
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge

Then if you go to Digital Scout (lowest package) it states
THIS PACKAGE CONTAINS:
RSI Aurora
SHIP
ALSO CONTAINS
1,000 Game Credits
Lifetime Insurance
Star Citizen Digital Download
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Digital Star Citizen Manual
Thanks guys.

Probably will just get the starter package for now, and up it later if I want. I've also toyed with the idea of just having the starter package and going from there. Kinda' like with the X games- start small and work up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
any info for the SP side of the game?
Well...not much. From what I understand it is an MMO space sim. However you start out doing a tour of duty in the military, and that is SP. Once you've completed your tour, you're free to embark on what ever you like. I'm assuming you could stay in the military and climb ranks or venture out and find a new life for your character. But during your first tour it is SP, after that tour is up it turns MMO. They may change that I suppose as it is still quite early.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:14 PM   #135
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

^ that wasn't the original promise though, Roberts said that you can treat SC as WC... disappointing.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:24 PM   #136
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
^ that wasn't the original promise though, Roberts said that you can treat SC as WC... disappointing.
The way I understand it is that once the SP part is done you can still solo everything if you want. You don't have to do PVP or anything like that really. Play it as you see fit. Join a guild, stay in the military, or just explore the stars (what I plan to do) in search of... whatever they may hold.

I think PVP to some degree will be unavoidable. I mean, who else will you be battling? Probably some NPCs but some other players as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:38 PM   #137
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

SirBaron is correct, The lifetime insurance only lasts for EXISTING backers til November, if you want it you have to pledge before 6th of this month to get classed an an existing backer.

For PvP you can use a slider, the lower the slider the less PvP you encounter as you will get NPCs spawning instead of real people in any missions or whatever you do. The lower the slider the less mission rewards you get.

Squadron 42 is entirely offline but you can earn online rewards by finishing the game. Star Citizen is the online portion and comes out after Squadron 42 does.

Last edited by spyre : Jul 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:39 PM   #138
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

vertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete stranger

Star Citizen is the multiplayer universe.

Squadron 42 is the single player experience, and is completely optional. You MAY (undecided by devs) get some perk for completing your tour, but you do get citizenship in star citizen for completing Squadron 42.

There will not be much known about Squadron 42 simply because that's the guts of the game. The story elements and writing are for the single player experience, and if they give away too much, then you lose the surprises waiting for you.
vertual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:08 PM   #139
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
I went a bit crazy and now have 3 ships, a Aurora LX, a Cutlass, and a Constellation

This gives you some details about the ships
http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/to...n-compilation/

If you are going to pledge now would be the time to do it and still get lifetime insurance for the ship you get. You can always alter your pledge and still get the free insurance if you do it now.
And I though I was overboard with getting the Freelancer and pirate pack (Cutlass and a few additional weapons?)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #140
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

vertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete strangervertual once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I went a bit crazy and now have 3 ships, a Aurora LX, a Cutlass, and a Constellation .
You are going to need a crew to run that Connie, it's not a single-player vessel.

You are going to have to trust that crew not to steal your Connie when you log off, too!

Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:43 PM   #141
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertual View Post

Squadron 42 is the single player experience, and is completely optional. You MAY (undecided by devs) get some perk for completing your tour, but you do get citizenship in star citizen for completing Squadron 42.

There will not be much known about Squadron 42 simply because that's the guts of the game. The story elements and writing are for the single player experience, and if they give away too much, then you lose the surprises waiting for you.
what does it mean by player getting star citizen citizenship? what will happen without it? so it's an MMO that require you to complete SP first?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:43 PM   #142
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

what does it mean by player getting star citizen citizenship? what will happen without it? so it's an MMO that require you to complete SP first?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:19 AM   #143
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

I think that there are many ways of living in the world. You can be a pirate, you can be a bounty hunter, you can be a merchant. Having citizenship would probably hurt your chances of being a pirate, yet would probably be a requirement to be a bounty hunter. Probably won't affect being a merchant.

You can get citizenship, or lose citizenship, in Star Citizen, but whether you have it or not depends on how you want to play.

Squadron 42, since it's a separate single-player game, is not required to play Star Citizen.

So, you could start playing Star Citizen on Day1 launch, achieve the highest ranks of what you desire, and never have even installed Squadron 42 at all.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 02:46 AM   #144
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

what? now squadron 42 is a separate game from star citizen? holy hell, it's all confusing

if star citizen ended up being MMO, I can't see what would make it stand out from EVE online...?

here I was hoping I can see something like freelancer again well there's Rebirth but we can no longer change ship in there so.... at least it's a 100% SP game.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:08 AM   #145
vertual
Canopus Pure 3D

It's all the same universe. Squadron 42 is going to be Wing Commander 5, and Star Citizen is going to be a MMO Privateer/Freelancer.

All the assets are the same, the lore and star systems and ships and everything is all the same in both games. The only difference is that when you play Squadron 42 you aren't making a permanent impact in the Star Citizen game world. If you discover a new system in the Star Citizen world, you can name it and make a permanent impact on the SC world. You won't see that new system if you play through Sq42 again.

You are the hero of the universe in Sq42, you are just another in the same universe in SC.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:47 AM   #146
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
what? now squadron 42 is a separate game from star citizen? holy hell, it's all confusing

if star citizen ended up being MMO, I can't see what would make it stand out from EVE online...?

here I was hoping I can see something like freelancer again well there's Rebirth but we can no longer change ship in there so.... at least it's a 100% SP game.
Eve is SpreadSheet simulator, Star Citizen will not
Quote:
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:59 PM   #147
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

Quote:
You are going to need a crew to run that Connie, it's not a single-player vessel.

You are going to have to trust that crew not to steal your Connie when you log off, too!

Nah you can hire NPCs and or use turret targeting computers. They aren't as good as real people of course and the NPCs cost money as you have to pay wages depending on skill level (the better NPCs cost more money). Still it is better than trying to do it all yourself. If anyone wants to help crew my ships they can and they make ingame money doing it (assuming I don't get blown up by pirates or whatever)

You can also make your turrets fixed fire forward if you don't have the crew or targeting computers so it isn't as good but gets the job done I guess.

Last edited by spyre : Jul 2, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 06:30 PM   #148
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Nah you can hire NPCs and or use turret targeting computers. They aren't as good as real people of course and the NPCs cost money as you have to pay wages depending on skill level (the better NPCs cost more money). Still it is better than trying to do it all yourself. If anyone wants to help crew my ships they can and they make ingame money doing it (assuming I don't get blown up by pirates or whatever)

You can also make your turrets fixed fire forward if you don't have the crew or targeting computers so it isn't as good but gets the job done I guess.
I will volunteer

My diabolical plan, is to become a renowned pirate, but no one will know who I am, only know of me and will give me a nickname to describe me. I will infiltrate other ships as a "crew member" learn everything and I can about their strength and weakness, and then use that against them, and destroy their ships. mwhahahaha....... Hey, what you are doing? You are not supposed to read this. You are now the first on my list to destroy.
Quote:
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:54 PM   #149
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

OK you are hired
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:35 PM   #150
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
OK you are hired
Awesome. I will be the best crew member you will ever have. You will not be disappointed. Hey, can I be your second in command?

Quote: