Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:25 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden View Post
Nexus 2 and this and Miner Wars ... oh hell yes ... now please someone say HomeWorld 3 is PC game w/o DUMBED DOWN style

btw. i hope authors if Independence Wars series will finally crowdfund the IWAR3
I would love to see a homeworld 3 just imagine it running in this engine with that level of scalable detail at all zoom levels and Independence Wars 3 would be another
CoolNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:46 AM   #62
Dark_Swordmaster
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thread title change please? We now know it's title and for those of us who don't know Chris Roberts off the top of their head, it'd be very helpful to know what this game is called and what it is, instead of "Is a figurehead doing something?"
Dark_Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:25 AM   #63
MysticTechnolgy
Radeon R100

MysticTechnolgy is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

http://www.wcsaga.com/

Give this a try guys, i found it last night, sorry if this has already been posted at some point. graphics are not the best but it certainly does have that good old wing commander feel =D

I am enjoying this a lot right now

MT

Last edited by MysticTechnolgy : Oct 14, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
MysticTechnolgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:01 PM   #64
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

Give them all your money!

Quote:
Let's put high-end PC gaming and Space Sims back on the map!

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:03 PM   #65
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden View Post
btw. i hope authors if Independence Wars series will finally crowdfund the IWAR3
Wow! There's a thought.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #66
UFO
Who's your buddy?

UFO is still being judged by the masses

The original Wing Commander game was ground breaking in terms of graphics and game play that you could do the 386 16MHz computer you had back then. Wing Commander was one of the first 3D games that used scaled images to represent objects in 3D space. Scaling and rotating a bitmap was tedious work for the poor CPUs back then.

What I see now is little bit like Bob Geldof's Live 8, which is based on a previous idea that worked great but in modern time it just doesn't belong and this is what I feel with Chris Roberts new production.

The graphics isn't that great compared other recent games. The game play is also not ground breaking, it's a combat space sim and that's nothing new. If this is going to be game that people wants, Chris Roberts must achieve an absolute polished product. You can always tell the same story twice but you have to it very well in that case.

The game players are really spoiled today and would say take Mass Effect and add space combat to it, then people would turn their heads. People are used to so much more freedom of movement today and just sitting in a space ship would seem limited.

BTW System Shock had a wing commander game in the game.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:24 AM   #67
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Have any of these "kickstarter" projects actually come to light yet? They seem to be a dime a dozen these days but I haven't heard of a single one actually turning into a real game yet...

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:04 AM   #68
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Have any of these "kickstarter" projects actually come to light yet? They seem to be a dime a dozen these days but I haven't heard of a single one actually turning into a real game yet...
FTL, Ravage and probably more that I cant remember now

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:46 AM   #69
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

I'm fine with just sitting in a space ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:46 PM   #70
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The graphics isn't that great compared other recent games. The game play is also not ground breaking, it's a combat space sim and that's nothing new. If this is going to be game that people wants, Chris Roberts must achieve an absolute polished product. You can always tell the same story twice but you have to it very well in that case.

The game players are really spoiled today and would say take Mass Effect and add space combat to it, then people would turn their heads. People are used to so much more freedom of movement today and just sitting in a space ship would seem limited.

What a buzz kill.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:12 PM   #71
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
The original Wing Commander game was ground breaking in terms of graphics and game play that you could do the 386 16MHz computer you had back then. Wing Commander was one of the first 3D games that used scaled images to represent objects in 3D space. Scaling and rotating a bitmap was tedious work for the poor CPUs back then.

What I see now is little bit like Bob Geldof's Live 8, which is based on a previous idea that worked great but in modern time it just doesn't belong and this is what I feel with Chris Roberts new production.

Have you seen a final product? Is this even in Alpha yet? I'd wager the graphics will be extremely competitive if not in a leage of their own for a space sim by the time this launches.

Further more, this is PC only so by default it's not targetting the masses. It seems to me like he's got some money to spend, as well as depending on the die-hard fans of this genre, to fund it and make this possible. There's quite a few wing commander fans out there with deep pockets now days to help support this title if it lives up to their expectations.

I do agree about being limited to the cockpit. Some may be satisfied just flying around- me I'd love to be able to explore the ship I'm on, or the space station, or even the city I'm docked at. Been begging for this level of detail in a space sim for so very long. Add to the fact it's using CryEngine 3 and I'm certain this will please. The strong SP story-telling and later open world approach is just epic.

So far, this seems to be exactly what I've been begging for in a game. See a nebula far off in the distance you want to explore? Great- go explore it. Discovery and exploration are both encouraged and rewarded. EM had a hint of this but ultimately failed to deliver. How cool would it be to fly into a massive nebula only to discover a planet or asteroid cluster rich in resources for you to mine, and make an amazing fortune off of! Word would likely spread of your discovery so you'd have to defend it... the possiblities.

Yeah, I'm stoked for this. EM was fun, X3 is fun but neither are what I've been looking for in a space sim. This title so far, looks to deliver on all fronts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:28 PM   #72
Nytehawk
Radeon R420

Nytehawk is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I would agree totally. Besides, COD has made a fortune on not making anything new. I feel it is best to focus on what this game is intending to be. If it is a space fighter sim then that's where I think the focus should be spent. Sometimes too much freedom hurts the game because there is too much content to worry about. I would rather all attention be spent on the simulation of flying a spaceship and engaging in epic battles with some limited movement around a carrier or space port. I feel like if you try to add too much it gets spread too thin and then content can seem lacking. For example if you get to leave your ship and walk around you need to be able to do stuff. If that's the case you must make sure there is enough stuff to do on every planet and port you land on, and each planet is unique or it gets boring. I say make the battles unique and engaging and it will make people craving the next trip out of the hanger.

I've got tons of games where I can walk around, do quests, following a story, alter my character, mine resources, craft equipment, get married and shoot stuff. What I don't have is a lot of space combat simulators. I think this is what made the original Wing Commander and X-Wing/Tie Fighter games so much fun.

-Nighthawk
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:09 PM   #73
El_Diablo
Radeon R520

El_Diablo is still being judged by the masses

It's been a while someone posted info here, so I'll post some new stuff:
Comprehensive Stretch Goals
List of the different stretch goals
Also, the Kickstarter webpage for Star Citizen have been updated with some Kickstarter specific stretch goals

Star Citizen Ships Development Document
Some info about the different ships you can pledge for ...

Interview with Chris Roberts:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ce-crime-lord/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...e/#more-129483
http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/10/...d-squadron-42/

Last edited by El_Diablo : Oct 28, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
El_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:07 PM   #74
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

very ambitious project...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:31 PM   #75
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
Thread title change please? We now know it's title and for those of us who don't know Chris Roberts off the top of their head, it'd be very helpful to know what this game is called and what it is, instead of "Is a figurehead doing something?"
^^^^^^This.

Game is looking and design sounding darn good. Updated Wing Commander should be sweet.

Hit $3.5 million btw.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 PM   #76
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
or a Wing Commander: Privateer

aww memories of the real Origin
All hail the ori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:07 PM   #77
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
A few, but FTL comes to mind. I play it regularly.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:46 AM   #78
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

The amount of features this game has planned is crazy and if it's pulled off it will be amazing but I actually think they may have said too much, the things they are aiming for such as boarding of ships and fighting within ships on top of the main game not that I think they can't pull it off but it feels like they are setting us up for disappointment when it turns out they got ahead of themselves.

Aside from that I really hope they keep the player skill component and not dumb things down too much so that anyone can do anything within a few minutes of trying a task.

Last edited by CoolNitro : Nov 15, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
CoolNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:22 AM   #79
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

This isn't like battlecruiser where Derek Smart is overhyping his ****. Chris has actually delivered great space games in the past. If he says he can make this work, I believe him. Besides, the main reason features get cut is because the publisher is being a jackass. He won't have that problem with this.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:26 AM   #80
abdecken5
Rage3D Veteran

abdecken5 is still being judged by the masses

It looks like a good sophisticated space combat sim, but i think the open world bit sounds too ambitious and will turn out poor and the single player is nothing ground breaking. At least it attempts to be uncompromising in its vision.
abdecken5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:50 AM   #81
kaarel
Radeon R700

kaarel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdecken5 View Post
It looks like a good sophisticated space combat sim, but i think the open world bit sounds too ambitious and will turn out poor and the single player is nothing ground breaking. At least it attempts to be uncompromising in its vision.
Open world means endless mods and possibilities later.
kaarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:53 AM   #82
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

You guys know that RSI website and kickstarter are 2 separate ways to fund it? And the total is almost 5 million...

So this game is getting a lot of attention, and I can't wait for it to come out.
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:11 AM   #83
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
You guys know that RSI website and kickstarter are 2 separate ways to fund it? And the total is almost 5 million...

So this game is getting a lot of attention, and I can't wait for it to come out.
They are including the kickstarter funding into the total on the website

- True Blood
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:56 AM   #84
El_Diablo
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
They are including the kickstarter funding into the total on the website
True, and they also are going to have additional private investors. Their total budget is about $12 - 14 million. (Maybe even more now, since it was originally planned for $2 million in crowd funding)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:05 PM   #85
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

FLYABLE CARRIERS AT 5.5 MIL. I they get to that amount, oh jizz.

At 4.5 mil total (their page + kickstarter) ALL KICKSTARTER goals are unlocked! So donate though THEIR site, so they get more money. Kickstarter takes 10%.

Last edited by Tizen : Nov 17, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Tizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:30 PM   #86
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizen View Post
FLYABLE CARRIERS AT 5.5 MIL. I they get to that amount, oh jizz.

At 4.5 mil total (their page + kickstarter) ALL KICKSTARTER goals are unlocked! So donate though THEIR site, so they get more money. Kickstarter takes 10%.

10% seems really high, is that actually true?

Also, "I they get to that amount, oh jizz", sounds like oh jizz has already happened
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:51 PM   #87
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
I think kickstarter takes 5% and amazon 5%

- True Blood
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:09 PM   #88
El_Diablo
Radeon R520

Though, compared to Steam, who takes 30 %, 10 % isen't that much ...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:39 AM   #89
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post

Also, "I they get to that amount, oh jizz", sounds like oh jizz has already happened

Upgraded pledged to 125$. God damn this game and their promises

Cutlass fighter with pirate skin :jizz:

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:02 AM   #90
badboy
Merc with a mouth

LOL! its near 5.5 mill!!!!

- True Blood