Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Android tops in US now, WP grows, iOS and BB fall back a bit.

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-pho...arket-gains-us

Kantar World Panel has released it's U.S. market analysis for the three month period ending February 2013. While Android slipped into the number one spot with 51.2%, ahead of iOS, our Windows Phones has made a nice jump with its market share.

Compared to the same period in 2012, Windows Phone's market share went from 2.7% to 4.1%. Apple experienced a decline falling from 47% to 43.5% and RIM fell from 3.6% to 0.7%.

As far as U.S. carrier sales of smartphones is concerned, Kantar World indicates that Verizon is the top carrier with 35% with AT&T coming in second at 26.7%.

More details here:

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/glob...-In-Early-2013
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Wow RIM tanked hard....does no one like Blackberries anymore? Is the Z10 even any good?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Wow RIM tanked hard....does no one like Blackberries anymore? Is the Z10 even any good?
I think the numbers for the Z10 will likely show up when it is actually on sale in the US. It is currently not available.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

Z10 was actually launched last week in the US lol, talk about marketing fail. They're still doing well in some parts of the worlds though.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Anyone else getting apple ads in their email. They have been spamming me with crap like 3-4 times a week past 2-3 weeks. It's like guys I already own everything your bragging to me about.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
There's still a market for BBs though it's dwindling, especially if measured by new subscriptions over the past year.

The Z10 is kind of like the 920, good as a platform flagship device but crippled by a lacking ecosystem and brand reputation. Z10 will help BB stay relevant for a little bit longer but they really need to step up their game (and fire their advertising/PR people) to regain traction.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I think the numbers for the Z10 will likely show up when it is actually on sale in the US. It is currently not available.
oh really?

why would they do that....

I thought Nokia was dumb having their stupid 'carrier exclusivity' bs with the Nokia line...

Plus i also remember the BB Q40 (or whatever its called, the BB10 keypad model) is supposed to be out in April too.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
There's still a market for BBs though it's dwindling, especially if measured by new subscriptions over the past year.

The Z10 is kind of like the 920, good as a platform flagship device but crippled by a lacking ecosystem and brand reputation. Z10 will help BB stay relevant for a little bit longer but they really need to step up their game (and fire their advertising/PR people) to regain traction.
Well, the numbers for WP are up, so not sure how "crippled" the 920 is

Quote:
oh really?

why would they do that....

I thought Nokia was dumb having their stupid 'carrier exclusivity' bs with the Nokia line...

Plus i also remember the BB Q40 (or whatever its called, the BB10 keypad model) is supposed to be out in April too.
I agree, the 920 should have been launched on all platforms, but alas, Nokia doesn't have the deep pockets of a Samsung or an Apple.

Still, with the 928 out shortly for Verizon, it's not a total loss.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Engadget had a much more biased take on this:

Windows phone sees big gains at the expense of Blackberry and Symbian

Completely ignoring the Apple losses and Android gains in the title... Apple loses 3.5% and that's "hardly a change..."
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:02 PM   #10
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

And this is one of the main reasons why I develop my apps for that particular platform.....
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Engadget had a much more biased take on this:

Windows phone sees big gains at the expense of Blackberry and Symbian

Completely ignoring the Apple losses and Android gains in the title... Apple loses 3.5% and that's "hardly a change..."
I think when you look at it from a global standpoint, iOS has remained relatively steady. Android just continues to grow.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Well, the numbers for WP are up, so not sure how "crippled" the 920 is
Up is relative. WP's marketshare grew big percentage-wise, but overall it's still not a significant player compared to the market leaders. I get that you're in love with WP and your 920 but come on bro, be realistic

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:42 PM   #13
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Hi, I get excited when the phone brand I associate myself with does well......
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Up is relative. WP's marketshare grew big percentage-wise, but overall it's still not a significant player compared to the market leaders. I get that you're in love with WP and your 920 but come on bro, be realistic
That's not it

I recall the arguments just a couple of short years ago when Android was just a blip and people were laughing at it.

The other thing is apart from Android, pretty much everything else fell, except WP.

Whether this holds up at the end of the year, it'll be interesting to see.

And the GS4 and HTC One releases should make things even more interesting.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:03 PM   #15
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

But yeah, the z10 wasnt even on sale yet when that chart was pushed out, BB will eventually be the solid #3 player in the market... they just need to get the stock out and into peoples hands.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:24 AM   #16
Zero
Sass hole

Wow that lady is annoying.

And business guys switching back to BB, meh. It's not helping BB's reinvented image as a more lifestyle-oriented brand.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:22 AM   #17
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Yeah, shes actually more annoying than Kevin!
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:56 AM   #18
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think the S3 drove a lot of Android sales last year. I know quite a few people who switched from Apple to the S3 last year, instead of going with the iPhone 4s/5.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I think the S3 drove a lot of Android sales last year. I know quite a few people who switched from Apple to the S3 last year, instead of going with the iPhone 4s/5.
Full disclosure, had Apple not changed the power adapter, thereby forcing me to update all my accessories, I would have likely stayed with an iPhone, at least till I could get my hands on the One.

That accessory change forced my hand Ironically, my WP is completely wireless. I have plugged it to my system twice, once to get the Windows 8 Phone icon to populate, and once to synch the new Fat of the Land Enhanced Album from The Prodigy

But, the S3 has exploded in the collective consciousness.

I am going to watch Apple's next launch very carefully, especially the OS part
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:52 PM   #20
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I am going to watch Apple's next launch very carefully, especially the OS part
I think everyone is. I think all 4 players in mobile are releasing updates to software / hardware in the next 2 months.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:46 PM   #21
bman212121
Radeon R520

bman212121 is still being judged by the masses

The only thing I don't care for about percentages is they really don't tell us what kind of volumes we are talking about. I would imagine that RIM and Symbian didn't lose 80% of their current user base but rather the number of devices has still climbed significantly.

IE if Rim had 1M phones, and they lost 20% they would still have 800K devices, but if the market increased by 20% in order to remain at the same level they would need 1.2M devices.

On the flip side the 4.1% likely understates the number of WP that they are increasing by. If they had 1M phones before, they increased that number by 50% or 1.5M. If they market grew 20% the actual number of devices is now 1.8M. so really they would have actually increased by 80% (numbers I've seen is it's roughly 2x increase year over year)

iOS probably held fairly steady and didn't increase the number of devices by much, but didn't lose any subscribers either. Then obviously android saw large gains in total number of devices. 5% increase in a market that grew 20% is actually a huge increase in device numbers. So for simplicity again say 10M devices this time would 12M devices just to keep pace, but add 5% more of the total market and your looking at around 13.2M which is about a 33% increase in total number of devices sold.
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Anyone else getting apple ads in their email. They have been spamming me with crap like 3-4 times a week past 2-3 weeks. It's like guys I already own everything your bragging to me about.
Ya, I'm not sure why Apple is sending me emails on products they know I already own. I think they are feeling the pressure.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 09:04 AM   #23
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Question:

What's it take for someone like Samsung or Facebook to use Android as the background and simply use their own scheme and call it a different OS? Wouldn't this push users NOT to use Google's services? I'm sure doing a search in Facebook is pretty much using Bing, so I'm pretty sure Google will start to have a problem with these moves Facebook/Samsung has taken lately.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:55 AM   #24
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I think when you look at it from a global standpoint, iOS has remained relatively steady. Android just continues to grow.
The problem is that Android makers on the low end aren't making any real money.

It's basically like the netbook market. Apple is letting all their stupid competitors to fight over crumbs. Apple is doing well but a part of that is because their competitors are run by idiots. The quality of the executive leadership being produced by the Ivy League education system is rather self-evident these days.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Apr 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:58 AM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post

It's basically like the netbook market. Apple is letting all their stupid competitors to fight over crumbs. Apple is doing well but a part of that is because their competitors are run by idiots.
Fighting for crumbs with over 50% market share, much of that held by one manufacturer? Yeah ok.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:59 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Question:

What's it take for someone like Samsung or Facebook to use Android as the background and simply use their own scheme and call it a different OS? Wouldn't this push users NOT to use Google's services? I'm sure doing a search in Facebook is pretty much using Bing, so I'm pretty sure Google will start to have a problem with these moves Facebook/Samsung has taken lately.
They'd probably get taken to court for trying that.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:54 AM   #27
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post

It's basically like the netbook market. Apple is letting all their stupid competitors to fight over crumbs. Apple is doing well but a part of that is because their competitors are run by idiots. The quality of the executive leadership being produced by the Ivy League education system is rather self-evident these days.
Quote:
Fighting for crumbs with over 50% market share, much of that held by one manufacturer? Yeah ok.
You misread what he's saying. He's talking manufacturer and you're highlighting Android in general.

Quote:
Question:

Quote:
They'd probably get taken to court for trying that.
Not really, that's basically what 'Facebook Home' is.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:11 PM   #28
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Question:

Amazon is already doing something similar with the Kindle Fire. It uses Android as a base but with their own separate development path; a fork. It means that they can do whatever they want with the code, but they're basically on their own.

I think Google blocks Play Store access from forked versions since it could create compatibility issues, but I assume also to discourage forked versions as they move away from Google's ecosystem. Amazon have their own app store with it's own publishing and licensing system. So more work for Android developers who already have to worry about tons of phones with different hardware configurations.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #29
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
You misread what he's saying. He's talking manufacturer and you're highlighting Android in general.
One manufacturer makes up the vast majority of Android phones sold. I said that specifically in my response.

Quote:
Not really, that's basically what 'Facebook Home' is.
No it isn't, Facebook Home is Android with a different launcher. Every manufacturer has their own launcher.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:17 AM   #30
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
One manufacturer makes up the vast majority of Android phones sold. I said that specifically in my response.
You did say that as a side, you highlighted Android in general. You missed and still are, what he was saying.

Quote:
No it isn't, Facebook Home is Android with a different launcher. Every manufacturer has their own launcher.
Not really, its intended to be the only thing that people interact with on their phone, a complete replacement. Similar to how people used to, and some still do, think that AOL is the internet.