Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 14, 2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Angry Apple Is Deleting Movies Customers Purchased on iTunes, Denying Refunds

Quote:
When digital downloads first began to cut into the physical media market, one common argument was that buying digital goods meant they were never really yours. That argument hasn’t gone away, but it’s lost a lot of power over the years as content libraries have, for the most part, remained under user control. There have been some high-profile exceptions, like Amazon’s decision to pull 1984 out of user libraries several years ago, but for the most part, content access has remained constant, at least from major vendors.

A recent move by Apple, however, illustrates just how illusory that access is, and how little the company cares when consumers get screwed. Anders G da Silva recently contacted Apple when he discovered multiple movies he had purchased on iTunes were no longer available for him to watch. The company’s response to him is below:

It states, in part:

After reviewing this case, I have noticed that the content provider has removed these movies from the Canadian Store. Hence, these movies are not available in the Canada iTunes Store at this time.

Movies on iTunes range from sub-$10 prices to $20, suggesting da Silva likely spent between $30 – $60 on his three films. As a consolation prize, Apple offers him two free movie rentals of any movie up to $5.99, which isn’t exactly restitution for his loss.

Companies talk about both sides of their mouths on this issue and they do it frequently. There are games that can’t be sold any longer because their audio licensing agreements have expired (some games get around this by patching in different audio or removing certain songs after a period of time). Da Silva never owned those movies at all — not for any actual meaning of the word ownership. And Apple doesn’t care. When Da Silva responded that he wasn’t satisfied with his situation, the company responded by clarifying that Apple doesn’t actually sell anything.

https://www.extremetech.com/internet...enying-refunds
Another reason I'm glad I don't own apple products, but this pisses me off.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 04:05 PM   #2
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'SubCog once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

People need to understand that DRM means that you never own anything. Even when you buy stuff, it's really just a rental with an undetermined expiration date.

All you jerks who have large steam collections (me included) are going to learn this lesson the hard way someday.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Another reason why I continue to buy and keep my physical copies.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2018, 04:27 PM   #4
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

This is where my 120TB homeserver pays off ... until a drive dies and sends a $500 punch to my nuts wallet.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 05:10 PM   #5
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
This is where my 120TB homeserver pays off ... until a drive dies and sends a $500 punch to my nuts wallet.
Do you buy your drives full price? Is there a particular drive brand or model you prefer?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2018, 05:41 PM   #6
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Do you buy your drives full price? Is there a particular drive brand or model you prefer?
For local storage, HGST Helium drives are where its at. Though I don't technically pay out of pocket for the drives. Let's just say a very early bitcoin mining collective paid off for some old friends and I. 9PB of online tape storage also has its uses
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:50 PM   #7
ugly
Radeon R420

ugly is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
People need to understand that DRM means that you never own anything. Even when you buy stuff, it's really just a rental with an undetermined expiration date.

All you jerks who have large steam collections (me included) are going to learn this lesson the hard way someday.
I imagine I'll be retired one day, fire up my Steam account finally able to get to my Steam backlog, and I'll have no games available to play.

I have been favouring moving my purchases to GOG whenever possible. You can download the installers and the games are 'yours'. But, they don't have the library that Steam has, and usually are a little more expensive. And third-party sellers usually sell Steam keys and rarely GOG keys.

And Steam seems to be more favourable to pushing forward gaming on Linux. Which might be important one day when Microsoft decides we don't own our copy of Windows anymore and wants us to pay a monthly subscription.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:45 AM   #8
Jankan
Banged

Jankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundJankan can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

And then the wonder why people pirate
Old Sep 15, 2018, 04:58 AM   #9
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

How much was the purchased movie? Did they really give two rentals to add up to one purchased movie?
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 06:13 AM   #10
KAC
Lets talk stupid

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Well deserved. Shouldn’t even be offered a rental.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 09:08 AM   #11
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
This actually won't work with Itunes as if you create an itunes server on say a NAS ( which is what I do ) it still needs to login to Apples Servers and the video/music can still be removed or blocked from playing.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:18 PM   #12
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
How much was the purchased movie? Did they really give two rentals to add up to one purchased movie?
The user didn't say.
Quote:
Movies on iTunes range from sub-$10 prices to $20, suggesting da Silva likely spent between $30 – $60 on his three films. As a consolation prize, Apple offers him two free movie rentals of any movie up to $5.99, which isn’t exactly restitution for his loss.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:01 PM   #13
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
This actually won't work with Itunes as if you create an itunes server on say a NAS ( which is what I do ) it still needs to login to Apples Servers and the video/music can still be removed or blocked from playing.
I should have clarified, I do not purchase digital media because of this inevitability. I rip and store my favorite music and movies to my server. I own over 3000 blurays, nobody is removing anything. Now digital only music releases are getting quite annoying, but that's another story.