Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 16, 2019, 07:24 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I like the way it looks but a new 2019 455hp 7sp manual Corvette is the same price right now. If in the market for a new two seater, I'd have to pick the Corvette.
Old May 16, 2019, 08:20 AM   #122
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
I like the way it looks but a new 2019 455hp 7sp manual Corvette is the same price right now. If in the market for a new two seater, I'd have to pick the Corvette.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 08:28 AM   #123
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
What if you just wanted to drive a nice looking car around? No track no tossing around?
Then buy whatever you think looks the best. If you think that's a new Supra, then buy a Supra.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 16, 2019, 09:50 AM   #124
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

For me, it's now on my short list of possibilities. However, I'm waiting to see the C8 before I decide on anything (I'm not deciding between the Supra and the C8, it's really if I get another car alongside my Jag or replace the Jag). I'd also like to hold out and see what Lotus plans to offer for their next lineup but they haven't confirmed any dates yet of any announcements so I'm not sure I will hold out for them before doing something.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 09:50 AM   #125
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I wouldn't accuse the Supra of being nice looking
I think its nice looking. It definitely has a stand out on the road look to it the same way other, more expensive cars do. I havent seen one on the road yet though.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 09:53 AM   #126
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I think its nice looking. It definitely has a stand out on the road look to it the same way other, more expensive cars do. I havent seen one on the road yet though.
As far as I know, you can't buy one yet. All that is around are just the press vehicles going out to reviewers. I did browse some of the Supra forums and it appears you can't even officially pre-order in North America at this time (although dealers are taking people's money without being able to place orders nor understand their possible allotment).
Old May 16, 2019, 09:59 AM   #127
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
As far as I know, you can't buy one yet. All that is around are just the press vehicles going out to reviewers. I did browse some of the Supra forums and it appears you can't even officially pre-order in North America at this time (although dealers are taking people's money without being able to place orders nor understand their possible allotment).
Living in the LA area I dont expect it to be very long before I see one. Im sure some super rich person here has got friends

Not a fan of the colors they have on the website. Im not in love with the red and their blue is kind of lame. The yellow is interesting but the absolute zero white doug checked out is probably the best looking one.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 10:09 AM   #128
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

If I got one, it would be in conjunction with my Jaguar which is white. Given that, I would look for one of the other colors. I'd probably go for Black, Grey, Silver or Red but I've read being able to pick the color you want is going to be hard initially.
Old May 18, 2019, 03:20 PM   #129
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old May 18, 2019, 03:27 PM   #130
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I can't be the only one who thinks the concept looks way worse than the actual car.

On a side note, all the "fake" vents are actually real. They're just covered up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 07:28 PM   #131
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
On a side note, all the "fake" vents are actually real. They're just covered up.
The vents are fake. There is no ducting behind them for them to be functional.

However, depending on the use of the vehicle, they could be used to enhance certain capabilities (like a brake duct cooling kit).
Old May 19, 2019, 07:09 AM   #132
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why anyone would purchase this car is beyond my understanding.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 09:06 AM   #133
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Why anyone would purchase this car is beyond my understanding.
For all the reasons in the last video posted. It's a great car for what it is.. Too many people are focused on what "they" wanted in a Supra (and wouldn't be able to afford) rather than what Toyota/BMW made.

No doubt, had Toyota built what people asked for, those people wouldn't be able to afford it. People aren't going to buy a $120,000 Supra. Sure, there are small percentage of people with disposable income that would but that wouldn't sell enough to cover R&D. They needed the car to hit a certain price market to give it a chance.
Old May 19, 2019, 09:41 AM   #134
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
For all the reasons in the last video posted. It's a great car for what it is.. Too many people are focused on what "they" wanted in a Supra (and wouldn't be able to afford) rather than what Toyota/BMW made.

No doubt, had Toyota built what people asked for, those people wouldn't be able to afford it. People aren't going to buy a $120,000 Supra. Sure, there are small percentage of people with disposable income that would but that wouldn't sell enough to cover R&D. They needed the car to hit a certain price market to give it a chance.
The whole "issue" is that they called it a Supra. It's a Supra in name only. They should have called it something else rather than cash in on the name of a car that it has nothing to do with.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:04 AM   #135
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
The whole "issue" is that they called it a Supra. It's a Supra in name only. They should have called it something else rather than cash in on the name of a car that it has nothing to do with.
That's your opinion of what "you" think a Supra is or isn't.

At the end of the day, it's just a sports car. The original Supra was targeted for competition with the 3rd Gen RX7, standard 300zx N/A, standard C4 Corvette. It was never targeted to compete with the C4 ZR1 or more powerful cars of the era. With that, the current iteration of the Supra does fit the same target range. It's not going to take on a Z06. It's not going to take on a GTR. IMO, and many others, Toyota would have failed if they tried.

Sure, the original Supra had an over-developed engine which allowed people to turbocharge it beyond what Toyota had ever intended. However, that was by coincidence not by design. IMO, the only let down so far with the current generation is the lack of a manual. At that power range, a manual would have been a good fit.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:14 AM   #136
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old May 19, 2019, 12:48 PM   #137
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:

At the end of the day, it's just a sports car. The original Supra was targeted for competition with the 3rd Gen RX7, standard 300zx N/A, standard C4 Corvette. It was never targeted to compete with the C4 ZR1 or more powerful cars of the era. With that, the current iteration of the Supra does fit the same target range. It's not going to take on a Z06. It's not going to take on a GTR. IMO, and many others, Toyota would have failed if they tried.

Sure, the original Supra had an over-developed engine which allowed people to turbocharge it beyond what Toyota had ever intended. However, that was by coincidence not by design. IMO, the only let down so far with the current generation is the lack of a manual. At that power range, a manual would have been a good fit.
It's not going to compete with the C8 base Corvette, current/previous generation base Corvette, or a Cayman either. So what exactly is it completing with? Where does it slot in? Is it competing with Mustang GT's, Camaro SS 1LE's etc? It'll be slaughtered by big cars with 4 seats. Most of the reviews say it's not even a track car anyway. It's just a road cruiser like the Z4 (which is exactly what it is).

Where does this car fit and why is it here? It's only competition seems to be BMW, which is exactly what it is in the first place.
Old May 19, 2019, 01:01 PM   #138
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
It's not going to compete with the C8 base Corvette, current/previous generation base Corvette, or a Cayman either. So what exactly is it completing with? Where does it slot in? Is it competing with Mustang GT's, Camaro SS 1LE's etc? It'll be slaughtered by big cars with 4 seats. Most of the reviews say it's not even a track car anyway. It's just a road cruiser like the Z4 (which is exactly what it is).

Where does this car fit and why is it here? It's only competition seems to be BMW, which is exactly what it is in the first place.
None of the cars you mentioned are "track cars". We don't even know where the base C8 is going to land to even discuss it and I highly doubt it's going to be in the $55k range unless it's around 400hp (which is entirely possible since there has been no information on power plant). If it is, then they are competitors.

I have no idea what you have been reading or listening to as every review/video I've seen so far says it's great on a track.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-test-numbers/

Quote:
The new Toyota Supra is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated cars of this decade—and the decade before, honestly—and this week we were finally able to see if it lives up to the hype during the first-drive event at the Summit Point Motorsports Park track in West Virginia. Spoiler alert: It does. The new Supra is the kind of sports car we were hoping it would be, and it's the best driver's car the brand has ever made.
It's target was the Cayman and Toyota have publicly commented the fact that they used the Cayman as their benchmark buying many of them to be used in their direct comparisons for development. So yes, the Z4 is a target, the Boxster and Cayman, Alfa Romeo 4C, 370z, base C7, etc... It's actually back to what Japan does best which is lower horsepower lower weight sports cars (granted we haven't seen the exact specs with the weight documented yet). Yes, you aren't going to win any drag racing contest with the car but that as never their focus.
Old May 19, 2019, 01:04 PM   #139
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

None of them are track cars? You know exactly what I meant. Too much an elitist, Mahjik.
Old May 19, 2019, 01:14 PM   #140
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
None of them are track cars? You know exactly what I meant. Too much an elitist, Mahjik.
The same reasons you say the Supra isn't a track car, are the same reasons the others in your list aren't either. So how about instead, you state what "for you" makes a car a track car or not?
Old May 19, 2019, 01:21 PM   #141
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
The same reasons you say the Supra isn't a track car, are the same reasons the others in your list aren't either. So how about instead, you state what "for you" makes a car a track car or not?
It's now what I read or heard, but that's ok. Every topic with you turns into an argument and we constantly hash out very basic information before we ever get to the actual topic. It's not that much fun. Im not interested enough in the Supra to argue about it.
Old May 19, 2019, 02:13 PM   #142
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
It's now what I read or heard, but that's ok. Every topic with you turns into an argument and we constantly hash out very basic information before we ever get to the actual topic. It's not that much fun. Im not interested enough in the Supra to argue about it.
Then why even post in the thread then? I'm interested in the car. It's on my short list. I'm reading and viewing all information on the car as it becomes available and discuss the car in purpose made threads for it.
Old May 19, 2019, 08:07 PM   #143
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old May 20, 2019, 07:46 AM   #144
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Its growing on me but a few things I can't get past:

1) Its a z4
2) Its a BMW, not a super reliable Toyota
3) No manual
4) No option for bigger engine
5) The pricepoint (think I read base is ~65 CAD)

I don't know, next couple years will be telling.
Old May 20, 2019, 08:23 AM   #145
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
1) Its a z4
The power plant, drive train and infotainment system are shared. However, they are different cars. Only a handful of people have driven both to date, but they do state they have completely different driving characteristics. They have different chassis designs, different suspension geometries, the Z4 will likely be a good portion heavier, etc.... We don't have the exact specs yet but it's been mentioned the Supra may have a little shorter wheelbase than the Z4 as well.

This is not like the FRS/BRZ or the Fiat Spider/Mazda MX5 Miata stuff where they are the exact same car but with little cosmetic differences. If it was like that, I wouldn't be interested.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:23 AM   #146
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

You know, I expressed a similar sentiment earlier in this thread and was abruptly dismissed by others. I am glad we are on the same page.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #147
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
The power plant, drive train and infotainment system are shared. However, they are different cars. Only a handful of people have driven both to date, but they do state they have completely different driving characteristics. They have different chassis designs, different suspension geometries, the Z4 will likely be a good portion heavier, etc.... We don't have the exact specs yet but it's been mentioned the Supra may have a little shorter wheelbase than the Z4 as well.

This is not like the FRS/BRZ or the Fiat Spider/Mazda MX5 Miata stuff where they are the exact same car but with little cosmetic differences. If it was like that, I wouldn't be interested.
Its a BMW underneath, so all the hardpoints are the same (wheelbase, chassis, components, switchgear). I think I read that the Supra has adaptive dampers whereas the Z4 only has it on the i6 models (i4's do not). So a few differences here and there in what is used, but its all largely the same between the two. It was early in production where the divergence happened (basically after identifying which chassis/components to use) so the car's are largely different in terms of dynamic tuning and design.

The Supra/Z4 divergence is similar to the Porsche Cayman/Boxster. They could just be said to be a hardtop and ragtop versions of each other.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #148
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Its a BMW underneath, so all the hardpoints are the same (wheelbase, chassis, components, switchgear). I think I read that the Supra has adaptive dampers whereas the Z4 only has it on the i6 models (i4's do not). So a few differences here and there in what is used, but its all largely the same between the two. It was early in production where the divergence happened (basically after identifying which chassis/components to use) so the car's are largely different in terms of dynamic tuning and design.

The Supra/Z4 divergence is similar to the Porsche Cayman/Boxster. They could just be said to be a hardtop and ragtop versions of each other.
The parts diagrams aren't completely available yet for both cars, but some analysis has been done with what is currently available. The Supra does use BMW suspension parts, but not all are the same as the Z4. Some are borrowed from other BMW makes, like the M2 and M3 (these are parts that likely provide it with the sportier handling). There was mention that there may be a Z4M version or something later which may have similar parts.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #149
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...no-horsepower/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #150
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
Interesting, but I would like to see some more samples as the car starts hitting the streets.