Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old May 6, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Automakers Back Black Boxes, Brake Overrides

Quote:
Lawmakers in Washington are working on draft legislation that proposes new safety features on all new automobiles along with mandatory black boxes for automobiles. Privacy advocates are against the black boxes, but major carmakers have announced that they are for the black boxes today.

http://www.dailytech.com/Article.asp...9&red=y#570395
Old May 6, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
Can I get a discount on my insurance with one? If so, I'm all for it.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 05:40 PM   #3
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I'll take all that crap on my daily driver any time. Doesn't bother me a bit.

If it's on my weekend warrior though, there better be an option to turn any kind of assisted braking or stability control off. There usually is that option, so whatever works I guess.

Why are privacy people against the black boxes? They don't monitor your vehicle information and send it to anyone in real-time do they? If they don't who the hell cares?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 6, 2010, 05:59 PM   #4
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I'll take all that crap on my daily driver any time. Doesn't bother me a bit.

If it's on my weekend warrior though, there better be an option to turn any kind of assisted braking or stability control off. There usually is that option, so whatever works I guess.

Why are privacy people against the black boxes? They don't monitor your vehicle information and send it to anyone in real-time do they? If they don't who the hell cares?
Governor here in Oregon wanted (maybe still wants) to do something just like that. The monitoring in real time anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 06:10 PM   #5
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Governor here in Oregon wanted (maybe still wants) to do something just like that. The monitoring in real time anyway.
Yeah, that would get a big HELL NO from me.
Old May 6, 2010, 07:11 PM   #6
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I think it was something to do with he wanted to tax people per/mile driven, and for people that went over an alloted amount with a "guzzler" there would be extra "penalty" taxes..

In the first version pitched I think. Hybrids and electrics were omitted completely.

This was all debated stuff, IIRC at the capitol there in Oregon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There was the OBD3 debate forever ago about gps and lots of extra bulls**t, but it kinda faded away. Although I am sure there are plenty out there that want it.

Here is what I posted in the comments:
Quote:
They don't need to be anything more than the computer already in the car which has more than enough data to determine what happened. Simply adding some flash memory to write to is all that is needed.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:41 PM   #8
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
A lot of the government cars here have that, if one of their vehicles goes over a certain speed the office is notified and the driver gets a fine. I can see that happening on newer cars, you speed and you get a ticket mailed to you.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote