Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Default FREE Games at GameTap ( USA / CANADA ) - [ News ]

GameTap is offering over seventy full, complete games for free to absolutely anyone, with new games added every week. And these aren't your typical, shallow internet games either; these are real arcade, console and PC games, ranging from arcade classics like Bubble Bobble

http://www.gametap.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=59
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:55 AM   #2
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

As far as I can tell to download a game you need to register a free account but it is only available to the United States and Canada Edit tried Psychonauts and it seams that it is downloading with a guest account.

M-rated games need a login which is only for United States and Canada all other games are downloadable with guest account.

Last edited by CoolNitro : Feb 5, 2008 at 06:01 AM.
CoolNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Pirate Neilsouth

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
As far as I can tell to download a game you need to register a free account but it is only available to the United States and Canada Edit tried Psychonauts and it seams that it is downloading with a guest account.
Ahh ok , will edit thread.. Thankyou
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:17 AM   #4
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

No problem thx for the heads up, going to get some non M-rated games like Psychonauts and Sudoku for the family.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:34 AM   #5
klutzon
Found his way home

klutzon is still being judged by the masses

I need to learn how to use proxies...

Klutz is enjoying his "Forever" membership at Galbadia Hotel... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR CLICKS GUYS!!! :)
Galbadia Hotel: a place for game soundtrack lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
This is true. 'sides, Klutzon could quintuple post something and I'd still prefer his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDHA
Yes, I'm a stubborn moron at times, but it keeps me occupied ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honsy
Just tell her to open her mouth and close her eyes ... then throw her down and stick it in her pooper ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimacy
Welcome to the world of current events. Feel free to grab a brochure and get back to us when you've caught up with the latest news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke
It's okay Vazel. We all know about your "punctuation" issues and how much you like ";" as opposed to ":"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzian View Post
Ugh, I hate that.. I honestly get so paranoid it's not even funny. One time, I ran out of eyedrops (dear god) and forgot. I went to the nearest shoppers, red-eyed as hell, holding only a box of clear-eyes in a huge line up, never.. ever.. again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
Yeah, it seems like any game that doesn't measure up to some arbitrary standard or feeling we expect to have gets labeled consolized! What?!? Blurry textures! Consolitus! You can't save every 4 seconds? Consolitus! It doesn't have 12 million buttons that are bindable to controls! Consolitus! I can't use 16XAA with 166XAF consolitus! I got laid last nite because I wasn't playing PC games. Consolitus! No wait....
| My Games Collection (last updated Oct 07)
klutzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

They have had free games offered for a while now...
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Pirate Neilsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartigan View Post
They have had free games offered for a while now...
Yes but apparantly this is listed out better for people to see
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Where's the catch?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

The only small catch is the games us non US people can play you have to watch a 30 second add before the game opens each time and you can not run the game without gametap being open.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Wow ****ing awesome post. I cant wait to play the HM series.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Guys, can anyone help me make an account? I can play all but M rated games, wich need a free account, but I can't make one because it says it isn't available in my country. Apparently the ip check is done when you register. Sooo...help?
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:24 AM   #12
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo View Post
Guys, can anyone help me make an account? I can play all but M rated games, wich need a free account, but I can't make one because it says it isn't available in my country. Apparently the ip check is done when you register. Sooo...help?
What makes you think the check wouldn't be done when you try to log in too? You play these through the GameTap player software which requires you to log into the service. I'm pretty sure they would have thought of the scenario or someone trying to use an account registered in another country... Sorry man, I think you're out of luck.

-----

I subscribed to GameTap for a year @ $60 which is a pretty insane deal. I like the service well enough. The selection isn't spectacular (it's huge, but a lot of it is stuff you'd never play), but there's certainly enough on there to easily justify the cost. My one and only gripe with the service is that the games are downloaded and installed in a proprietary encrypted format. You never get a directory with the game files, there's just one big archive file. So this means you can't access the game files for any kind of advanced tweaking. I've got a widescreen monitor and lot of the older games will work with widescreen, but you need to edit their ini files to do so - you can't do that with the GameTap versions.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:15 PM   #13
IllestOne
Radeon R700

IllestOne is still being judged by the masses

What's this "player" you need to down!? Does it install a lot of bloatware?
2x512mb Mushkin xp4400 @ 296 2.5-3-3-8 2.7v
connect3d x1900xt *cat 6.8* *bad oc'er :(*
74gb Raptor
WD3200JD
WD1600JB
19" Samsung 955df
OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt
mx-500 w/ 1030 Func pad
Logitech z2200

IllestOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:25 PM   #14
sandorski
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllestOne View Post
Haven't noticed any Bloatware, but I don't pay much attention to that kind of stuff anymore.
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedroid View Post
What makes you think the check wouldn't be done when you try to log in too? You play these through the GameTap player software which requires you to log into the service. I'm pretty sure they would have thought of the scenario or someone trying to use an account registered in another country... Sorry man, I think you're out of luck.
I read it in their own forums. Besides, it's only for age verification, all free games are already available with a guest account, I mentioned in my post that I can play them, only the M rated ones require a Green account for age verification.
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 07:43 PM   #16
RSViper
Radeon R520

RSViper is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

My one and only gripe with the service is that the games are downloaded and installed in a proprietary encrypted format. You never get a directory with the game files, there's just one big archive file. So this means you can't access the game files for any kind of advanced tweaking. I've got a widescreen monitor and lot of the older games will work with widescreen, but you need to edit their ini files to do so - you can't do that with the GameTap versions.
Yes, this is annoying when you want to change some things through the .ini files for preferences or cheats.
RSViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:48 AM   #17
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

YellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwards

Quote:
My one and only gripe with the service is that the games are downloaded and installed in a proprietary encrypted format. You never get a directory with the game files, there's just one big archive file. So this means you can't access the game files for any kind of advanced tweaking. I've got a widescreen monitor and lot of the older games will work with widescreen, but you need to edit their ini files to do so - you can't do that with the GameTap versions.
Eh, it kinda sucks but I understand where they're coming from. If it downloaded all the normal files in the normal way it'd be way too easy to just crack them all. Small price to pay for a catalog of around 990 games. Though I am kinda bummed that Uru is going the way of the buffalo yet again, just when I started to play it too. Yeah, I'm a yearly subscriber as well. Figure 60 bucks a year is worth it for Sam and Max plus everything else they're putting out and the free part kicks all kinds of ass as well.

I'm pretty sure that you can just lie about your location when signing up, might have to lie and go through a proxy during the set up but I think that's it. Over at another board I go to that's what a few non residents were doing to sign up.
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:15 AM   #18
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBeard View Post
Eh, it kinda sucks but I understand where they're coming from. If it downloaded all the normal files in the normal way it'd be way too easy to just crack them all. Small price to pay for a catalog of around 990 games.
Yeah but Steam games install into a directory with all the game files as normal, they just have a tweaked exe and as far as I know there hasn't been widespread cracking of Steam games. Alternatively, they could just make the ini files unencrypted and keep everything else in the archive. Besides, 80-90% of GameTap's catalog is old PC and console game which are all readily available illegally regardless. If your the kind who downloads games you're not going to get GameTap anyway.

I agree the service is still more than worth it though, I wouldn't have subscribed if I didn't, but not having access to ini files is my biggest gripe with it. I end up having to play a lot of games pillarboxed when I wouldn't otherwise have to.

------
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllestOne View Post
The player is a single standalone program. It has a neat 3D interface and is where browse through and launch all the games. When minimized it takes around 3-4 MB which is comparable to Steam; it's not bloatware at all.

Last edited by Sweetz : Feb 10, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:39 AM   #19
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

YellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I agree the service is still more than worth it though, I wouldn't have subscribed if I didn't, but not having access to ini files is my biggest gripe with it. I end up having to play a lot of games pillarboxed when I wouldn't otherwise have to.
I'd kill to be able to play pillarboxed. Everything I play is stretched to my widescreen monitor due to ATI and the whole centered timings is the only alternative to stretch out to full screen. Though I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that my monitor stretches out the horizontal regardless.

Edit on the stretched horizontal note: Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling is starting to piss me off, is ATI EVER going to do something about this or am I just going to have to fork out money to buy an nvidia card for a simple feature ATI already has in their Mobility drivers?

Have you tried putting in a suggestion about the ini's? I've heard they're pretty receptive to things like that, least they'll look into it. An employee of theirs posts at another forum I go to and I can shoot out the question to him if you want, though he's on vacation at the moment so I have no idea when I'd get an answer.

Edit: http://angledwhiteboards.com/ is a site where they talk about development of Gametap and what not. Might be another place to be able to voice an opinion on it.

Last edited by YellowBeard : Feb 10, 2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:05 AM   #20
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Besides, 80-90% of GameTap's catalog is old PC and console game which are all readily available illegally regardless. If your the kind who downloads games you're not going to get GameTap anyway.
Old console games are the point. Once you get out of 16 bit games, the emulators get sketchy.
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:16 PM   #21
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBeard View Post
I'd kill to be able to play pillarboxed. Everything I play is stretched to my widescreen monitor due to ATI and the whole centered timings is the only alternative to stretch out to full screen. Though I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that my monitor stretches out the horizontal regardless.
nVidia scaling is pretty broken too, I don't use it. My display is an HDTV so I just hit the 4:3 picture size setting on the TV when using a 4:3 resolution. That's one of the plusses of using an HDTV as a PC display, built-in aspect scaling.

Quote:
Have you tried putting in a suggestion about the ini's? I've heard they're pretty receptive to things like that, least they'll look into it. An employee of theirs posts at another forum I go to and I can shoot out the question to him if you want, though he's on vacation at the moment so I have no idea when I'd get an answer.
I complained about it once on the GameTap forums and got the expected official response that it was done for piracy. When I asked about breaking out the ini's individually they said it couldn't be done. I suspect the bigger problem is really how do they figure out what file gets separated out. You'd have to go through every game figure out what files people typically use for tweaking and break them out specifically; it'd be a big task I suppose.

Still I don't know if it was actually a developer or just a community rep that replied, if you're willing to pass that request onto a developer for me please do so.

Last edited by Sweetz : Feb 11, 2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 08:58 PM   #22
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I complained about it once on the GameTap forums and got the expected official response that it was done for piracy. When I asked about breaking out the ini's individually they said it couldn't be done. I suspect the bigger problem is really how do they figure out what file gets separated out. You'd have to go through every game figure out what files people typically use for tweaking and break them out specifically; it'd be a big task I suppose.

Still I don't know if it was actually a developer or just a community rep that replied, if you're willing to pass that request onto a developer for me please do so.
I'll shoot him a pm once he starts posting again so I know he's back. At least it'll get into the ear of someone other than the Gametap forum people and maybe get a better idea. Might end up being the same answer, but no harm in shooting out a question to him as he asks us for feedback all the time.

Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:03 PM   #23
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

I've had GameTap for a year and a half, almost.

They have actually recently made it less bloated. It used to have a movie player for their "Gametap TV" videos, but now it shoots you over to their web site for that stuff.

Also, my subscription lapsed, and they didn't do anything like continue to charge my card or pester me to pay again.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:05 AM   #24
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Just wanted to warn everyone that I DL'ed this software and got HM-Contracts for free (I thought...). The next day when I tried to replay it from where I left off, it said I had to, "Go Gold" in order to replay it. Either that or they changed their minds overnight that this game was no longer free.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:41 AM   #25
sandorski
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

Doesn't seem to like WinXP64. The Software Installs, Game Files Download, starting a Game brings up error.
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:42 PM   #26
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

As a heads up for all the Gold members Sam and Max Episode 3 is out today as they set up to release the games on Tuesday instead of Thursday to coincide with Conflict: Denied Ops release that was going to happen, but apparently due to some troubles with the virtual drive stuff we gotta wait.