Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 3, 2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Winter is coming! - Bathroom Space Heater - Is ALCI 100% reliable?

So I've been looking into getting an space heater for the bathroom since it is starting to get a bit chilly around here. I am concerned about any possible hazard and I was looking into this sucker:

http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Heater-.../dp/B005J2L9KY

So if I understand correctly this thing will automatically shut down if there is even a hint of a variation in the current?

For instance, if water falls on the device, or plug connector, or there is a cut in the cable and water falls on it, etc, etc it will automatically shut down? Or if I am very stupid and grab the plug with wet hands when I unplug it, will it still shut off?

I am almost certain the answer to all of these questions is yes, but I am a bit paranoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2015, 07:50 PM   #2
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It will help but I would make sure you have GFCI outlets in the bathroom as well.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 09:05 PM   #3
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

+1

Don't ever rely on it, but it is safer than nothing and using a GFCI (which is probably integrated into your bathroom outlets because it's been in most electrical codes for quite a while) will be more helpful. They're fairly simple mechanisms, but the reaction time of an ALCI can be as much as half a second, so it won't stop a shock, but it will stop a prolonged shock that locks up your muscles to prevent you from stopping it.

Make sure it's well mounted in an out of the way place and that it doesn't get messed with or watered and then have the piece of mind a couple of safety features can offer if those things somehow happen.

And what the ALCI is sensing is if the current returning from the device differs from the current going in - so if it's going to the earth ground of the device for a short or going to ground through you or some water or something, then it will trip through a mechanical mechanism.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 5, 2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
+1

Don't ever rely on it, but it is safer than nothing and using a GFCI (which is probably integrated into your bathroom outlets because it's been in most electrical codes for quite a while) will be more helpful. They're fairly simple mechanisms, but the reaction time of an ALCI can be as much as half a second, so it won't stop a shock, but it will stop a prolonged shock that locks up your muscles to prevent you from stopping it.

Make sure it's well mounted in an out of the way place and that it doesn't get messed with or watered and then have the piece of mind a couple of safety features can offer if those things somehow happen.

And what the ALCI is sensing is if the current returning from the device differs from the current going in - so if it's going to the earth ground of the device for a short or going to ground through you or some water or something, then it will trip through a mechanical mechanism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedsoul View Post
It will help but I would make sure you have GFCI outlets in the bathroom as well.
Don't think I have GFCI outlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2015, 09:23 PM   #5
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

A lot of built in ones are actually GFCI breakers, so you wouldn't have any indicator of them on the outlet itself, but look slightly different from your standard breaker in the box - they've got a test button.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote