Sapphire Tech has entered the Professional market with a new workstation platform based on the AMD APU featuring FirePro graphics. This is the first professional graphics APU platform, and available exclusively from Sapphire, and in some scenarios can perform comparably to a system equipped with a discrete FirePro V4900 or V5900 card.
SAPPHIRE PGS announced today a professional FirePro workstation platform that uses the all new AMD FirePro™A300 APU equipped with the SAPPHIRE PGS A3 M series mainboard exclusively supplied by SAPPHIRE Technology. This platform is mainly targeted for entry level and intermediate mainstream desktop 2D and 3D workstation markets.
“Big Things Come in Small Packages”, this type of small workstation platform has the advantage of being high performance and space-saving, as well as offering flexibility; it can perform DCO (Discrete Compute Offload) technology together with the AMD FirePro 3D graphics card, which allows additional compute capability by using select discrete GPUs in parallel with APU graphics for extended GPGPU performance. This professional FirePro platform also supports AMD Eyefinity multi-screen display technology, not only satisfying the professional user’s need for high performance computing and rendering, but also supporting computer-aided design(CAD), media and entertainment (M&E) workflows while providing a simple multi-screen output solution.
The SAPPHIRE PGS A300M/A320M professional platform uses the all new GCN architecture Southern Islands* A300 series Accelerated Process (APU), which is the first family of single-chip processors that provides workstation-class visual computing performance, able to satisfy the need for todays most advanced professional design workflows. The release of the FirePro A300M/A320M professional platform not only brings greater design flexibility for OEM manufacturers and workstation integrators (WSI), it also allows this new type of workstation design to maintain workstation-level performance and reliability while helping with energy-saving, space-saving and reducing heat and noise levels.
There are two specifications available for selection:
The SAPPHIRE PGS professional platform has passed rigorous testing and has received certifications from major ISVs for its reliability and compatibility. All of the AMD FirePro A300 series APUs support the AMD Catalyst™ Pro software; enabling application performance and compatibility with ISV-certified software and optimized performance for CAD and M&E applications. The AMD FirePro graphics ISV Alliances team maintains very close collaboration with dozens of ISVs to ensure alignment for product and driver updates.
The SAPPHIRE PGS professional workstation platform has the following product features:
- It is the first to use the professional AMD FirePro APU A300 series; the single chip has simultaneous GPU and CPU computing performance. Its professional graphics ability can achieve entry level to intermediate level performances.
- It supports the Discrete Compute Offload (DCO) technology; by using the discrete AMD FirePro GPU together with a parallel-operating APU graphics core which can further extend the GPGPU’s performance and provide additional computing ability (It can work with AMD FirePro V3900/V4900 and perform parallel computing simultaneously).
- It has 3 native display outputs, which are VGA, DisplayPort 1.2, and DVI-D; it supports AMD Eyefinity Technology multi-screen output technology to deliver high work efficiency and telepresence, and to achieve high productivity in a multi-screen environment.
- The AMD Turbo Core technology can dynamically adjust the CPU and GPU’s performance according to the workload need, providing a more effective computer response speed.
- It supports 30-bit color fidelity, displaying stunningly realistic images and colors in the most advanced operating procedures; it can perform color correction and image processing operations, etc., when using a monitor in which each color channel supports 10-bit color fidelity.
- Dedicated UVD (Unified video decoder/VCE or video CODEC engine) media coding hardware; when processing H.264/MPEG4 files and other dynamic media format files, if a compatible software is used, the CPU resource can be released to execute other tasks, achieving faster (fixed function) GPU processing performance.
- Supports DisplayPort 1.2: Single-monitor output resolution can reach up to 4K.
- Equipped with 4 * USB3.0 and 8 * USB2.0 ports
- Expansion Slots: 1 x PCI-Express (Gen2) x16 slot/1 x PCI-Express
- (Gen2) x1 slot/1 x PCI-Express (Gen2) x4 slot/ 1 x PCI 2.3 Slot.
Source - Sapphire Press Release
*Sapphire state that the A300 and A320 APU's feature Southern Islands GCN graphics cores, which is incorrect to our knowledge; if these are Trinity APU designs, they use VLIW4 graphics from Northern Islands Cayman. We've asked Sapphire for clarification.