Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 11, 2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ryan3dFan
Radeon R420

Ryan3dFan is still being judged by the masses

Default VGA adapter for playing console games on pc monitor

What are some good VGA Adapter's for this purpose? I know there are some that are specifically made for particular consoles, while others just have A/V inputs. I would prefer one with A/V inputs as I have both a PS2 and GameCube. I am not aware of any adapters for the GC.

My question is what are some good ones and where can I get one? It seems you can't purchase these in stores. I've looked quite a few places. If anyone knows a place I can actually go and pick one up that would be awesome. Otherwise I will have to get one off the internet and I haven't found any reliable looking sites yet. Any suggestions would be great.
Ryan3dFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Default Digi VD-Z3

Best xbox adapter I eve used.

VD-Z3

I bought this to replace my older X-Blaster adapter.

The difference between the X-Blaster I had and my new VD-Z3 is huge!!!

1. Framerates look alot smoother with the VD.

2. The screen is alot more crisper and clearer to read. Graphics look alot more cleaner. Edges and far distance objects are alot more cleaner.

3. Color difference is out of this world!!! Trust me!

4. Unlike on most other adapters for the Xbox/GC, they dont have a switch for you to switch between game console and pc. The VD has a switch to do that without having to replug wires etc.

5. This is the only adapter that comes with the HD-KIT plug. Meaning it comes with a plug that has component cables, and that 5.1 sound input right here:

Best VGA EVER!!!

Read this Teamxbox review that encouraged me to buy it. HERE!!

Read peoples comments on their forum!

Hope I helped!
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Ryan3dFan
Radeon R420

Ryan3dFan is still being judged by the masses

This looks real nice. So essentially I would just need to buy component output cables for my GC and PS2 along with this?
Ryan3dFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2005, 03:40 PM   #4
DeadmanINC
Radeon R100

DeadmanINC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan3dFan
This looks real nice. So essentially I would just need to buy component output cables for my GC and PS2 along with this?
Yes and no. Although the PS2 CAN output progressive scan, not all games do and the ones that can require you to hold down a couple buttons on the controller and answer a question (you can see anything during this time). If I'm not mistaken, you need to hold down the B button while the games is loading and it should automatically switch to PS.
HDD : Maxtor 200GB ATA 8 MB Cache
Memory : 2 x 512 OCZ Platinum Rev 2
SoundCard : SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
Burner : Pioneer DVR109
DeadmanINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5
Best xbox adapter I eve used.

VD-Z3

I bought this to replace my older X-Blaster adapter.

The difference between the X-Blaster I had and my new VD-Z3 is huge!!!

1. Framerates look alot smoother with the VD.

2. The screen is alot more crisper and clearer to read. Graphics look alot more cleaner. Edges and far distance objects are alot more cleaner.

3. Color difference is out of this world!!! Trust me!

4. Unlike on most other adapters for the Xbox/GC, they dont have a switch for you to switch between game console and pc. The VD has a switch to do that without having to replug wires etc.

5. This is the only adapter that comes with the HD-KIT plug. Meaning it comes with a plug that has component cables, and that 5.1 sound input right here:

Best VGA EVER!!!

Read this Teamxbox review that encouraged me to buy it. HERE!!

Read peoples comments on their forum!

Hope I helped!

The review didnt specify something really really important, and since youve used it, i was wondering if you could answer this for me.

He (the reviewer) mentions that the Amped 2 pic was taken at 1024x768, but the Xbox was set to play the game at 720P (1280x720).

What he didnt specify however is whether or not that adapter will resize the image (from its original 720P) to fit the resolution that your monitor is running at (in his case presumably 1024x768)?

I hate it when these reviews dont go into the more technical points.
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:53 PM   #6
hazindu
I put the zin in Hadu!!!

hazindu is still being judged by the masses

So where is the best place to buy one from?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:33 PM   #7
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamidxa
The review didnt specify something really really important, and since youve used it, i was wondering if you could answer this for me.

He (the reviewer) mentions that the Amped 2 pic was taken at 1024x768, but the Xbox was set to play the game at 720P (1280x720).

What he didnt specify however is whether or not that adapter will resize the image (from its original 720P) to fit the resolution that your monitor is running at (in his case presumably 1024x768)?

I hate it when these reviews dont go into the more technical points.

Too answer your question I have two 720p games. TrueCrimes and NBA 2k3. Both run in true 720p. I have to manuelly re-size the picture because it doesnt fit my 17inch Viewsonic Crt monitor. So yes its true 720p!

Hope I answered your question.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:07 AM   #8
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5
Too answer your question I have two 720p games. TrueCrimes and NBA 2k3. Both run in true 720p. I have to manuelly re-size the picture because it doesnt fit my 17inch Viewsonic Crt monitor. So yes its true 720p!

Hope I answered your question.

So wait.
This might get confusing, but follow me here.

Does this thing in other words (whats a good word here)...basically just transfer the image over, or also resize and convert it?

By resize and convert I mean to say the following:

Lets say for example the original game signal is at 720p (1280x720 resolution), and lets say your monitor (an LCD) has a native resolution of 1600x1200.
Now will that image be converted from 720p to 1600x1200 and thus fill the entire LCD screen without stretching?

If not, then will that image simply still be 720p (1280x720) but allow you the option of either:
a) playing it in a small window at 1280x720 (on say an LCD, instead of its native res of 1600x1200)
In which case you lose image size.
or
b) would you still have the option of making it stretch to fit the entire screen, BUT instead of it stretching to fit your screen at your screens native res (in this case 1600x1200) would it just stretch to fit at 1280x720?
In which case you lose image quality (monitor running at non-native res).
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:32 PM   #9
willy0508
Dooh!

willy0508 is still being judged by the masses

I'm looking to buy also. What about this one? Which is better?
http://www.x2vga.com/
willy0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:53 PM   #10
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

The VD-Z3 is the best Component > VGA transcoder there is for that sort of money, however it'll only work with progressive scan.

This should be ok for an NTSC(U/J) Gamecube, as most games support 480p, however there's only a handful of PS2 titles that do it.

You'll be much better off buying a de-interlacer/line doubler. While they are more expensive, they'll work with all your games.

The best one out there for games is the XRGB2+
It will take component, d-term, japanese rgb, s-video and composite. I've only ever used it with Component, D-Term and JRGB though. The cheaper line doublers will only work with s-vid/composite, and potentially add lag while they do the upconversion to vga. This is not the case with the XRGB2+

The results are stunning when hooked up to a CRT monitor, and very impressive on an LCD too. It gives you full control over R/G/B values, gamma, sync etc. Worth every penny.
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:22 PM   #11
ArturNOW
GeForce 6600GT

ArturNOW is still being judged by the masses

Isn't it better to bey a video card with VIVO? I've got GF 6600GT with composite and s-video in.
ArturNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:59 PM   #12
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Yes it goes true 720p res, and you have to resize it to fit your monitor. If I run a 720p game for example, the full picture doesnt fill up my screen. Hence I have to manully resize the width so it fits the screen.

I would highly reccomened going to VD's website forum that I posted above. Their tech guys are very fast in answering questions.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:33 PM   #13
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturNOW
Isn't it better to bey a video card with VIVO? I've got GF 6600GT with composite and s-video in.
No, Composite/S-Video look crap, especially when compared to component/rgb.
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 03:16 PM   #14
Sorrow
Walking the Line

Sorrow once held a door open for a complete strangerSorrow once held a door open for a complete strangerSorrow once held a door open for a complete stranger

so if I get that VGA adapter, it'll let me play Xbox on my monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post
:lol: budget nugget.
Specs:
AMD 64 3000+ (CG core) @ 2.25ghz
Giga-byte 6800GT @ 385/1050
512x2 Corsair pc3200 RAM
WD 80gb SATA
Soltek nForce3 250 mobo
19" LG FLATRON (L1920p) LCD
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 03:59 PM   #15
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Yup...In progressive scan. In which you can say bye bye to blurriness! Hello pc styled graphics.