Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
vindikation
Radeon R200

vindikation is still being judged by the masses

Default Good monitor for playing PC games?

I've heard various things about LCD, Flatscreen, CRT, etc monitors and how some are better than others for video games. My 19" Hitachi is making Rice Krispie noises every time I turn it on and off so its days are numbered I believe.

So what would you guys recommend for a new relatively inexpensive monitor ~ $300?

Are LCD monitors good for gaming?

Thanks
vindikation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

LCDs with 8ms or less response time are good IMO
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Bluekkis
Hardware geek

Bluekkis is still being judged by the masses

All modern LCD's do well on gaming. Though there are lot of differences on different techniques. Don't trust too much on *ms numbers, there isn't any standard on how it is measured. Any good quality display under 16ms will do nicely, but if you're going for cheaper TN+Film/MVA panels that has steeper ms curve you will want fastest you can get. If you can get S-IPS panel, overall far better than others but is found only on 20"+ displays these days.
{kirin}[pfSense x86][VIA Eden C3 0,6GHz][256MB DDR][VIA UniChrome]
Bluekkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:17 PM   #4
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

if you are a gaming freak and can still deal with the negatives of a crt(heat, eye strain, weight, footprint) i would say look around for a nice 19 inch or 21 inch diamondtron (or fd trin) crt. (nec sony, mitsubishi) truthfully my lone choice and saying for you to stay crt is based upon the many different resolutions you can run on a crt. on an lcd there are usually only one or two that you can run without having to have a smaller screen or jaggies everywhere.
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:23 PM   #5
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Hyundai L90D+
huskylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord
Hyundai L90D+
Contrary to my opinion in the other thread (L90D+ or 193p+), due to the budget constraint listed ($300) I actually agree with this recommendation.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 04:52 PM   #7
vindikation
Radeon R200

vindikation is still being judged by the masses

I put down $300 just as a ballpark, but I'm willing to spend more on a good monitor.

I might be more inclined to go with a CRT because I already have one, the space is alloted for on my desk because of this, there many resolutions (1600x1200 helps multi-tabling 4 online poker games) and for the same price I can get a lot larger screen than a LCD. It also appears that 1280x1024 is the highest resolution for any 19" LCD.

I didn't realize some of the drawbacks of LCD's. There are not too many, but there are a few: price, screen resolution restrictions, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by vindikation : Aug 3, 2005 at 04:54 PM.
vindikation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 06:34 PM   #8
klutzon
Found his way home

klutzon is still being judged by the masses

Like I wrote in your other thread, I'd suggest a CRT for gaming hands down, much better resolutions/refresh rates to choose, picture quality is amazing, and they're incredibly affordable. My ViewSonic E92f+SB flat screen 19" CRT cost me $200, I'm sure you can get a much better deal...

Klutz is enjoying his "Forever" membership at Galbadia Hotel... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR CLICKS GUYS!!! :)
Galbadia Hotel: a place for game soundtrack lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
This is true. 'sides, Klutzon could quintuple post something and I'd still prefer his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDHA
Yes, I'm a stubborn moron at times, but it keeps me occupied ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honsy
Just tell her to open her mouth and close her eyes ... then throw her down and stick it in her pooper ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimacy
Welcome to the world of current events. Feel free to grab a brochure and get back to us when you've caught up with the latest news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke
It's okay Vazel. We all know about your "punctuation" issues and how much you like ";" as opposed to ":"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzian View Post
Ugh, I hate that.. I honestly get so paranoid it's not even funny. One time, I ran out of eyedrops (dear god) and forgot. I went to the nearest shoppers, red-eyed as hell, holding only a box of clear-eyes in a huge line up, never.. ever.. again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
Yeah, it seems like any game that doesn't measure up to some arbitrary standard or feeling we expect to have gets labeled consolized! What?!? Blurry textures! Consolitus! You can't save every 4 seconds? Consolitus! It doesn't have 12 million buttons that are bindable to controls! Consolitus! I can't use 16XAA with 166XAF consolitus! I got laid last nite because I wasn't playing PC games. Consolitus! No wait....
| My Games Collection (last updated Oct 07)
klutzon is offline   Reply With Quote