Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:50 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
apollox
Viking

apollox is still being judged by the masses

Angry Why can't everyone have the newest MMC?

This really pisses me off, I have bought an ATi Radeon 9800Pro (from sapphire) and I have the ATi remote wonder (also from sapphire) and it came bundled with MMC 7.5. Why can't I too have the MMC 8.x ? After all I've paid for an ATi product, and by that, I have supported them. It's really an act of discrimination to only let the buyers of BBA products have the MMC, and if any "outsiders" want it, they have to pay for it. nVidia is perhaps worse though, if anyone want the nvDVD, they have to pay for it. I don't even think it comes bundled with any NV cards.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:54 AM   #2
TotalChaos
Radeon R420

TotalChaos is still being judged by the masses

You may want to try Here
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:00 AM   #3
mAcOdIn
Radeon Evergreen

mAcOdIn is still being judged by the masses

Because they switched the companies they used for the dvd decoder, and they have to pay for a license. Everything else is still free, just not the dvd decoder.
mAcOdIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:45 AM   #4
BongMong
Radeon R300

BongMong is still being judged by the masses

Please do not dress up supposition as fact old son. I have a new Radeon 9000 Pro 128 from Hercules, who provide PowerDVD and so the codec, but not the MMC. Since I am in the EU Gemstar is not supplied anyway. SO, I have paid for the decoder, and the product, yet ATi feel I need to be restricted from their DVD player. I even have a copy of the old version from my ATI 7500, but I still can't use that to install it.

ATi have decided we cannot all use this software. It is not due to DVD codec issues or Hercules disks would be acceptable to install it. It must be bloody-mindedness.
BongMong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:15 AM   #5
BlackBirdSR
Radeon R600

BlackBirdSR is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by BongMong
Please do not dress up supposition as fact old son. I have a new Radeon 9000 Pro 128 from Hercules, who provide PowerDVD and so the codec, but not the MMC. Since I am in the EU Gemstar is not supplied anyway. SO, I have paid for the decoder, and the product, yet ATi feel I need to be restricted from their DVD player. I even have a copy of the old version from my ATI 7500, but I still can't use that to install it.

ATi have decided we cannot all use this software. It is not due to DVD codec issues or Hercules disks would be acceptable to install it. It must be bloody-mindedness.
You didn't pay for the codec.. Hercules did.
Fact is, that ATI now has a deal with Cyberlink. You're only allowed to use the ATI DVD Player when you bought the card from ATI, as they payed the license fee.

European manufacturers appearently prefer to ship PowerDVD. They may have another deal. So ATI can't allow you (or me) to use their DVD Player. And you can't actually ask them to pay the license for you as well, even though you didn't buy an ATI card.

So relax. You get the complete Multimedia Center minus the DVD Player which you basically already have once you've installed PowerDVD. It just looks a little different and has way more settings to change. It's not a bad deal.
Maybe you should ask Hercules or Cyberlink if you could buy a license for the ATI DVD Player?.

Special thanks to all Catalyst Beta Testers as well.
BlackBirdSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:26 AM   #6
Cloud 7
Radeon R100

Cloud 7 is still being judged by the masses

Isnt it possible to use the old DVD player with 8.6?
Cloud 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 07:48 PM   #7
ParticleMan
Radeon R520

ParticleMan is still being judged by the masses

You aren't missing out on anything PowerDVD is better than ATi's bundled DVD player anyways. PowerDVD has more options and features. The only thing the ATi DVD player has over PowerDVD is integration in MMC, thruview, and easylook if you have a remote wonder.
ParticleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2003, 08:42 PM   #8
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

TheMonkeyBoyz is still being judged by the masses

You can BUY the 8.1 CD from ATI for $10.

However, I have found that the NEW CODEC that ATI uses with its DVD player is not as good as their old one, does not work optimally with cards like my 9800 Pro (does not seem to have any hardware assisted playback at all in fact) and that PowerDVD 4 does in fact look and perform BETTER than the ATI MMC version.

I paid the $10 to ATI, plus shipping - because the stupid MMC did not come with my Alienware 9800 Pro - and I have 8.6 installed on my machine. But, the DVD playback is not as good as PowerDVD 4.

Also, PowerDVD 4 lets me choose SPDIF/OUT so I can get full use of Dolby 5.1 on my Altec Lansing ADA-890 speaks, which do have a built-in hardware decoder.

Unless ATI makes their DVD Decoder take full advantage of all the hardware assist features of their own video cards, I would not even bother about updating the DVD playback from what you have now - at least, that is my lame little opinion.
TheMonkeyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote