Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 16, 2021, 01:48 PM   #661
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
If youre going to buy a new monitor I suggest making a priority list... that will help you find your monitor better.

What do you want:

• high refresh rate
  • accurate colors
  • perfect blacks
  • ultrawide
  • size
Pick 1 or 2 to be at the top of that priority list and start there because no one monitor is going to do it all.
Wow. Tough call just got tougher.

Right now I'm leaning towards returning the current monitor, set up my crummy 60Hz 1080p 3x24" monitors back, take my time and see if I miss anything after almost two months on a single 144Hz 1440p 16:9 32" monitor.
Two months during which I never really felt a single moment of particular awe for anything, be it size, faster refresh-rate, adaptive-sync or deeper blacks. Nothing
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 04:48 PM   #662
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
If youre going to buy a new monitor I suggest making a priority list... that will help you find your monitor better.

What do you want:

• high refresh rate
  • accurate colors
  • perfect blacks
  • ultrawide
  • size
Pick 1 or 2 to be at the top of that priority list and start there because no one monitor is going to do it all.
I'd argue the LG CX does 4 of those things perfectly, and then if needed ultrawide can be mimicked through a custom resolution. Get an LG CX and pretty much hit every check mark for a gaming monitor.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 04:56 PM   #663
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I'd argue that my G7 does 4 of those super well.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 16, 2021, 06:18 PM   #664
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghastlyone View Post
I'd argue the LG CX does 4 of those things perfectly, and then if needed ultrawide can be mimicked through a custom resolution. Get an LG CX and pretty much hit every check mark for a gaming monitor.
Forgot the most important priority point:
  • Price

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 07:06 PM   #665
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

For the debate between Samsung G Odyssey series vs the CX

high refresh rate
G7 = 240Hz
G9 = 240hz
CX = 120Hz

accurate colors
G7, G9 and CX all have pretty awesome colour. OLED probably wins out though.

perfect blacks
Clear win for the CX. The G7/G9 VA panels get pretty inky, comparable to a plasma, but it can't beat an OLED at all.

ultrawide
CX can run a custom resolution with perfectly black bars to mimic Ultrawide. You have to bump up to a 32:9 Super Ultrawide G9 get this outta Samsung.

Size
G7 = 27" or 32"
G9 = 49"
CX = 48" and up

Price
G7>CX>G9
At least based on some here managing to find the CX for some pretty sweet pricing. Plus TV's tend to on sale more often than monitors.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2021, 08:25 PM   #666
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why debate. Just buy both.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 04:52 AM   #667
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

LGCX users don't forget to get the new 3.21.16 firmware released yesterday. Fixes raised blacks and lower peak brightness for hdr in game mode.

https://youtu.be/Y7aqsOmp0Ng

Old Jan 17, 2021, 06:35 AM   #668
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

checked but no update yet for mine.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 07:49 AM   #669
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Just checked, no update here yet.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 07:54 AM   #670
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Going to do it via USB stick.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 08:15 AM   #671
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Let us know when you brick it.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 08:52 AM   #672
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'll wait for it I think...'if it ain't broke....'
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:10 AM   #673
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Just joined the LG CX 48” club! Super pumped to set it up (wall mount) and throw some games at it!
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:21 AM   #674
KAC

Tight monitor purchase is tight
Old Jan 17, 2021, 09:49 AM   #675
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

USB update went fine and was easy .

LG_DTV shove the file in that folder on the USB root and then TV says there is a update, and it updated nice and easy .
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:02 AM   #676
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Just joined the LG CX 48” club! Super pumped to set it up (wall mount) and throw some games at it!
Nice
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:17 AM   #677
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
PC or console use?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:41 AM   #678
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Problem for me with the LG CX displays is while they may likely be the superior display on the market right now for gaming they are just too big for me to use as PC monitor.

Release one that is smaller and I might be interested. But I would probably miss UW resolutions since it wouldn't be feasible to do a custom res for UW on a much smaller display.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:01 AM   #679
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I don't miss uw and I loved it when it worked.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:21 AM   #680
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Going to do it via USB stick.
Did the same. A drag and drop affair on a USB stick and we are done.

Quote:
Welcome to the club friend. You are now ONE OF US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Problem for me with the LG CX displays is while they may likely be the superior display on the market right now for gaming they are just too big for me to use as PC monitor.

Release one that is smaller and I might be interested. But I would probably miss UW resolutions since it wouldn't be feasible to do a custom res for UW on a much smaller display.
42 coming out later this year. In thought I would miss UW as well as I have been on it the last five years but the sheer size of this monitor makes up for it.

Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:55 PM   #681
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

42" is still just way too big for my desk and viewing distance. Its bordering on stupid to even consider for me. 32" UW is the max i can do here.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 01:19 PM   #682
logical
What is my purpose?

Got to get a bigger desk

Old Jan 17, 2021, 02:10 PM   #683
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Mine didn't fit my desk either. Stuff got moved and tossed to the side lol. It's one of the very few "Why did I wait this long" moments I've had lately.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 03:01 PM   #684
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Got to get a bigger desk
That's not really the point though. What I was saying is the size can be seen as a con for some depending on their setup when weighing the options. It just doesn't make sense to use a display that big in my case.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 03:31 PM   #685
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I honestly prefer to have a monitor on desk as well. I play a lot of MP FPS and 34" UW 144hz seems like the sweet spot for me. Still have a 4k TV as supplimentary display for use with gamepad but don't use it a whole lot, although I do prefer it for 3rd person games like RD2 and Death Stranding.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 04:26 PM   #686
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
PC or console use?
PC
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2021, 04:40 PM   #687
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
That's not really the point though. What I was saying is the size can be seen as a con for some depending on their setup when weighing the options. It just doesn't make sense to use a display that big in my case.
Obviously size is of preference. I think my perfect monitor is around a 38 ultrawide, OLED, 120+hz and gsync thrown in. Since there aren't going to be any OLED ultrawides for the foreseeable future the CX48 use pretty damn good.

Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:55 AM   #688
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

LG announced a 32" 4k 'UltraFine OLED' at CES a few days ago but I think it's only 60hz. Hopefully this means higher refresh rate panels are on the horizon.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 01:41 AM   #689
KAC

yes that panel is for media creators or some crap.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 05:21 AM   #690
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote