Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default M.2 to PCIe Adapter

short story:
I ended up with many 256/512/1TB m.2 nvme 2280 drives. They sit around collecting dust as I only have 2 slots on my x570 motherboard with ryzen 3900x.
If I use one of these adapters:
https://www.newegg.ca/riitop-model-d...17Z-0061-00056

People are still reporting decent speeds up to 3200MB read/write (if the drive supports it). This is okay as the drives I have are gen3 still.

My only question is does this slow down the video card bandwidth in any way especially once I upgrade to an RTX 30XX ? I know the video cards hardly use the PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth even. Maybe 1% max performance hit, or........... ????????

Also, can't find any info on what happens if you use both slots, does the 2nd drive run slower?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 05:30 PM   #2
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i think it would depend on the mother board layout, if you have 2 seperate 16x the putting that on one of the other 16x i would think wouldn't be an issue.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 06:42 PM   #3
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Most motherbaords have like 32x lanes and since a gpu only uses 16 you probably have a bunch overhead. Shouldn't be any slower unless you're overloaded with pci-e devices.
nutcrackr is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:28 AM   #4
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I can vouch for this. I snagged a Kingston KC1000 for super cheap about a month ago and it came mounted on a PCIe card. I slapped it into my old system with a graphics and sound card, and showed 2800 MB/s. Since then I upgraded to a new chip and MB with a dedicated M.2 slot, removed the PCIe mount and am getting the same speeds (the drive is rated 2700 MB/s sequential read). You should be fine!
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote